• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I don’t have Facebook so if someone could get a number or email and pm with it I would be greatful

9F4828EE-398B-4187-B22B-B81719237559.png

Reactions: canezach
No shit, I've not used reloader always 4350 for the 6.5CM but I'm impressed. That's a lot of powder , heavy bullets , great groups and smoking velocity. 3,000+ fps with a 140+gn bullet out of a 6.5CM , that's something. How did the brass holdup, pressure signs? What barrel length?
ES is in the process of putting together a 22.5" 6.5 barrel for me now so I'm glad to see the results your getting using one of his barrels.
I know Eric uses a good amount of Proof barrels but he is always testing different manufactures to find the best accuracy. That is the other great thing about Eric, I believe you can ask him to get just about any brand of barrel you want. I just saw a post on Facebook from a guy that posted great accuracy and speed from a Lilja 338LM barrel that ES Tactical spun up for him.

I’m surprised I haven’t gotten any shit from the powder charges and speeds for the bottom target. That is a 6.5CM OCW test on the 147gr ELD bullet and Reloader 26.

Reactions: sodakhunter
That is impressive for a 147, but is probably going to be hard on brass.
I'm getting 2915 fps from the 139 Lapua Scenar with 42.6 grains of H4350 out of my 26" 6.5 Creed.
Brass seems good, but it's only on its second firing.

No shit, I've not used reloader always 4350 for the 6.5CM but I'm impressed. That's a lot of powder , heavy bullets , great groups and smoking velocity. 3,000+ fps with a 140+gn bullet out of a 6.5CM , that's something. How did the brass holdup, pressure signs? What barrel length?
ES is in the process of putting together a 22.5" 6.5 barrel for me now so I'm glad to see the results your getting using one of his barrels.

Eric knows his shit and puts out some seriously quality barrels! You will not be disappointed.
These velocitys are from a 28” barrel. I’m using Hornady brass that is now on its 11th loading. The last three loadings have been testing these high powder charges on Reloader 26 and the primer pockets felt decent still.
Here is the link to thread I started http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/147gr-eld-and-reloader-26-test.6894466/

I'm getting 2915 fps from the 139 Lapua Scenar with 42.6 grains of H4350 out of my 26" 6.5 Creed.
I agree with you about the brass but it’s on it 11th loading and still decent. I do anneal but I don’t think that does anything for the pockets. I’m surprised the Hornady brass has held up so long. I have another 50 pieces that is on its 9th reloading and that is with 42.2gr of H4350 and the 140gr ELD.

Ditto, have a custom RBros 6.5 rifle, 26" barrel and 43.8gn of 4350 shooting 130 vld's is my go to round with velocity of about 2940fps. Brass life is good so far at 4 times fired. I'm hoping to mimic that round with the new ES barrel for the DTA but expecting a velocity drop of around 80 fps or so.

thanks, looking forward to checking that out.
Eric knows his shit and puts out some seriously quality barrels! You will not be disappointed.
These velocitys are from a 28” barrel. I’m using Hornady brass that is now on its 11th loading. The last three loadings have been testing these high powder charges on Reloader 26 and the primer pockets felt decent still.
Here is the link to thread I started http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/147gr-eld-and-reloader-26-test.6894466/

Are bolt head pin cracks a known issue? Four rifles, three were completely cracked. Pulling the fourth tomorrow, I suspect it will be the same. Bolt lift gets noticeably rough and end up chasing 2-3 MOA groups. Brass shows no sign of pressure but firing pin strikes are not center on the primer.

I have an afternoons worth of experience on DTAs. Any ideas?

boltheadpin1.png

Last edited:
Are bolt head pin cracks a known issue? Four rifles, three were completely cracked. Pulling the fourth tomorrow, I suspect it will be the same. Bolt lift gets noticeably rough and end up chasing 2-3 MOA groups. Brass shows no sign of pressure but firing pin strikes are not center on the primer.

I have an afternoons worth of experience on DTAs. Any ideas?

View attachment 6926663
This happened to me about 2 weeks after getting my SRSA1.
Long story short Desert Tech overnighted me a new pin. I was told they had a batch of pins that were heat treated too long causing them to crack and break like this.

I love my A1, but I understand the attraction to the covert. Even more compact, can run longer barrels if you want. If I had to do it again I would still get the A1.

Is there a poll/vote somewhere on Covert vs A1? Maybe that'll help me decide which way to go! Peer pressure lol
I was originally going to get a Covert but after speaking with Greg at Primal Rights I'll be getting an A1. He said that the advantage of the DT platform is that you can have a full length barrel in a short package. Also since I plan to be using a 24" barrel or longer for most meaningful hunting I'll be doing, the shorter handguard wouldn't actually shorten the overall length of the rifle. The advantage only comes up if you plan to mostly be using barrels under 22".

Running shorter barrels intrigues me, but currently never had anything less than 22" either. I should also note I've never ran any rifle with a can. Looking ahead I'm in process of buying a can and start wondering if I shouldn't consider shorter barrels to accommodate can attached

Given the compact nature of the DT even the A1 with a can is still shorter than a lot of "standard" rifles without one. You're not giving up much overall length with the A1 over the covert. Like I said it's still compact. I have a 22.5" barrel and 9" can and it's still shorter than my 280 ackley.

Reactions: TipToeTango
Running shorter barrels intrigues me, but currently never had anything less than 22" either. I should also note I've never ran any rifle with a can. Looking ahead I'm in process of buying a can and start wondering if I shouldn't consider shorter barrels to accommodate can attached
My first can (Ultra-9) arrived a couple of weeks ago and that's the thing that pushed me over the edge into getting a DT. I want to shoot suppressed all the time from now on so I want a shorter rifle for it. But again, the Covert only has length advantages if you're shooting cartridges that aren't handicapped by barrels under 22".

It's hard to beat a covert suppressed. I bought one just for hunting, it is the perfect length to walk into the timber with.

Attachments

• 20170830_162258.jpg
    20170830_162258.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 146
It's hard to beat a covert suppressed. I bought one just for hunting, it is the perfect length to walk into the timber with.
That looks like a beautiful setup. When I get the SRS-A1, I'm also going to get the Covert handguard from DT just in case I ever want to use it. I always like to keep my options open.

I was originally going to swap handguards but ended up just buying another rifle. They are a great rifle but it took a while to get comfortable behind it and shoot it real good.

I was originally going to swap handguards but ended up just buying another rifle. They are a great rifle but it took a while to get comfortable behind it and shoot it real good.
I highly doubt I'll end up switching it out but I'll pay $500 for the option in case I ever do.

I was thinking the same thing about having both options. I ended up buying the covert handguard so I could run both styles... having a second chassis would be nice. Potentially find a nice used chassis without a barrel from someone...

Just my personal opinion, but unless you are running NV or something else that requires that additional rail space there is no reason not to run the Covert. I have a 16” 6.5 CM barrel that is great for hunting. I run the Covert in PRS matches and don’t see a disadvantage with the shorter rail. I run a 26” barrel suppressed and the weight is so far back toward the shooter that you need to cram the rifle as far forward on Barricades to get it close to balancing anyways (i.e. no need for additional rail space). If bottom rail or concern for bipod location is the issue, they make a ton of ARCA rails that can extend beyond the Covert rail and allow you to stretch out the bipod.

Just my personal opinion, but unless you are running NV or something else that requires that additional rail space there is no reason not to run the Covert. I have a 16” 6.5 CM barrel that is great for hunting. I run the Covert in PRS matches and don’t see a disadvantage with the shorter rail. I run a 26” barrel suppressed and the weight is so far back toward the shooter that you need to cram the rifle as far forward on Barricades to get it close to balancing anyways (i.e. no need for additional rail space). If bottom rail or concern for bipod location is the issue, they make a ton of ARCA rails that can extend beyond the Covert rail and allow you to stretch out the bipod.
Same here

When I install the flush cup swivel in my hand guard, there's only .020"-.030" clearance between the swivel and barrel. Is that going to be a problem?

When I install the flush cup swivel in my hand guard, there's only .020"-.030" clearance between the swivel and barrel. Is that going to be a problem?

You just have to remove the swivel to remove the barrel otherwise the larger diameter tenon hangs up

My one TS barrel has relief indentions cut into the barrel near the swivel studs. Or i think someone is selling steel QD mounts that mount to the rail.

My main concern is the barrel possibly contacting the swivel when fired . Am I over thinking it ?

I don't know if you're overthinking it, but in a typical rifle stock, the usual measurement to determine if the barrel is free floating in the channel is a dollar bill, which has a thickness of 0.0043". Figure twice that to ensure it slides freely, and you would still have to round up to get to 0.010". I may be talking out my ass, but I'd think 0.020" to 0.030" should still give enough clearance.

Got my bolt Knob in today from the Wiley outdoors. Looks and feels great.

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_193851.jpg
    IMG_20180806_193851.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20180806_193834.jpg
    IMG_20180806_193834.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Imho
A year and a half , 1,600 +/- a few rounds later I haven't had an issue other than to remember to remove the muzzle part of the sling when I remove the barrel. Using DTA rail hasn't been an issue otherwise.

My main concern is the barrel possibly contacting the swivel when fired . Am I over thinking it ?

Ty passed his barrel business on to DRM LLC, also in Las Vegas.

I can attest to R26 and 147's being legit...run that combo in my 25" Creed SRS and get 2915 fps and shoots in the .2's.....oh and Ty did that barrel, one of his last ones. Super skinny to boot, and crazy accurate.

Greetings, gents! The last time I bought a barrel, I went through @fireguyty (Ty, I'm tagging you so you can reply), but as I understand it, Ty is no longer making barrels, so who are you fine folks going through? I gotta admit, I liked being able to buy a quality barrel, with the extension, threaded, and cerakoted for what he charged. Plus, if you already had an extension, it cost even less

Does anyone know what powder Desert Tech uses in their factory 352gr. Cutting edge .375 cheytac load? Please don't say Retumbo, because it's not that. Thanks!
IMG_20180728_153439981.jpg

Reactions: 1badbarrel
Not sure who is actually loading that ammo for DT but it is probably not a cannister grade. I have friends loading WC872 and cutting edge bullets in their 375.....probably not what you wanted to know though.

Frank