• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I want to get the 338lm conversion kit. It's about $1900+ for the dta kit. Anyone know where I can get it at a better cost? With the SRS A1 you gotta pay to play, but I'd like to save a few bucks as well. I'm keeping my eye out in the px thread of course. Thanks!

I want to get the 338lm conversion kit. It's about $1900+ for the dta kit. Anyone know where I can get it at a better cost? With the SRS A1 you gotta pay to play, but I'd like to save a few bucks as well. I'm keeping my eye out in the px thread of course. Thanks!
Try Eric at ES Tactical, I think his conversions are around 13-1400 if I remember right

The biggest issue with trying to save on conversions is the bolt and magazine which add about $400 to the cost. If you don't need them than having someone make you a barrel is a great way to go and a better alternate than buying a whole conversion. I'd rather make up my own barrels and buy the bolts I need. So far all the barrels I've done have been better than the factory units. I think you'll find most of the guys making up barrels for these rifles can say the same. Save a few bucks and get a better barrel.
Frank

The biggest issue with trying to save on conversions is the bolt and magazine which add about $400 to the cost. If you don't need them than having someone make you a barrel is a great way to go and a better alternate than buying a whole conversion. I'd rather make up my own barrels and buy the bolts I need. So far all the barrels I've done have been better than the factory units. I think you'll find most of the guys making up barrels for these rifles can say the same. Save a few bucks and get a better barrel.
Frank
I agree 100%.

Frank
Thx...ES tactical that was referred makes their barrels it seems. They sell the OEM bolt and mags, which I need. So the $1400 price seems reasonable. I need to add a brake though.

Yes, reach out to DMR Rifles in Vegas. He makes any conversion you want. I have had several barrels spun up from Dane. Insanely accurate! My gat twin and I have 300 PRC's from him, 6.5 SAUM, and he did a 7.82 Warbird for me.

Anyone order from ES Tactical recently? Just curious what his turn around times are these days.

I ordered one from him a few months ago and it was a little delayed, but understandably so. His wife had just given birth and the baby was immediately sent to the NICU, so he was out for a couple of weeks. I'd say he handled the backlog quickly, coupled with the fact my barrel was for a 25 Creedmoor, so he had to wait for my barrel to come in from K&P. Total wait time was about 6 to 7 weeks, but there were some extenuating circumstances, and I placed my order on the day his wife went into labor, so I'm sure he didn't even look at it for a week or two given what was happening. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to order another barrel from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SniperEnvy
I ordered one from him a few months ago and it was a little delayed, but understandably so. His wife had just given birth and the baby was immediately sent to the NICU, so he was out for a couple of weeks. I'd say he handled the backlog quickly, coupled with the fact my barrel was for a 25 Creedmoor, so he had to wait for my barrel to come in from K&P. Total wait time was about 6 to 7 weeks, but there were some extenuating circumstances, and I placed my order on the day his wife went into labor, so I'm sure he didn't even look at it for a week or two given what was happening. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to order another barrel from him.

Cool...thanks....just curious. I've only ever ordered from SAC and they're pretty up front with their lead times.

Cool...thanks....just curious. I've only ever ordered from SAC and they're pretty up front with their lead times.

I meant to add that I know a few other DT shooters who use ES for their barrels. They all told me his turnaround time is usually ten days or so, as long as he isn't waiting on your barrel to come in.

Reactions: ChadL
Anyone know a good pack to carry an SRS in the field? Thinking of taking my SRSA2 on some hunts. Anyone know if the butt pad fits in a Kifaru Sherman?

I have gotten a DTA barrel in 308 with left hand twist from ES and it will shoot under 1/2 and if I do my part it will go under 1/4. Very pleased with his work and he will listen to you about what you want. Great guy

Reactions: Roadkill4us

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_102450.jpg
    IMG_20190912_102450.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 42
What’s the consensus on ring height for these rifles for good cheek weld? I mocked up my 1.12” mount on a 1/2” riser and still seems lower than I’m used to. Most of you guys using 1.5” mounts/rings or higher?
Srs A1 covert NF 5.5-22x56

I run a 1.5” NF A362 w/20moa and I have the cheek rest up a notch or two.

338 Norma Magnum , Whos running one in their SRS and how are you finding it ?

i recently picked one up and starting load dev with it , found the throat to be on the short side ? @ney1

300SMK jamming at 3.560" , 250 Berger OTM clearing at 3.600" ,

hoping to have the 300 Berger OTM at around 3.600" ,

I've read several pages of this thread but haven't covered all 230 pages.

I'm in the process of considering a build, but the Desert Tech SRS is really tempting me, especially at the lighter weight A2. It's light enough that I feel I could hunt with it. I have a couple questions for the experts in this thread.

Has anyone shot both an A1 and A2 to be able to describe the differences in the rifle, especially trigger?

Besides the barrel and trigger, how did they lower the weight? I've watched a couple videos about the A2 but don't remember anything specific being referenced.

I know the SRS has had at least a few generations. Is there a generation I should stay away from or try to get besides the A2? I'll likely try to buy a new one if I decide to buy one instead of building a rifle, but sometimes funds are short.

Thanks a ton. I really appreciate it.

Yeah. I finally found the weight savings in the DEsert Tech blog. Was just coming here to post that but thanks. I should have been more thorough in my research

Yeah. I finally found the weight savings in the DEsert Tech blog. Was just coming here to post that but thanks. I should have been more thorough in my research
I have both the SRSA1 and A2. I like both quite a bit. The triggers are very different. The A1 has more pre travel. It feels to me similar to something like an AXMC. It’s extremely predictable, but does not break like a glass rod.

The A2 trigger is a single stage that breaks like a glass rod at 1.5 lbs or a little less. (I set mine pretty much to the bottom). It has almost imperceptible pre travel.

Neither is as good as a triggertech Diamond, but both are very, very usable. They’re really great rifles.

I have both the SRSA1 and A2. I like both quite a bit. The triggers are very different. The A1 has more pre travel. It feels to me similar to something like an AXMC. It’s extremely predictable, but does not break like a glass rod.

The A2 trigger is a single stage that breaks like a glass rod at 1.5 lbs or a little less. (I set mine pretty much to the bottom). It has almost imperceptible pre travel.

Neither is as good as a triggertech Diamond, but both are very, very usable. They’re really great rifles.
That's funny you say that. My A1 trigger is set to about 1.75 w/ zero pre travel while the A2 triggers I've handled were both mushy by comparison

The A1 trigger can be adjusted to be a very fine trigger. The one A2 trigger I've tried felt a bit mushy but still a very good trigger. With some of the deals I've seen on the "old" A1, I'd have no hesitation picking one up. Either would be a great rifle and with the right barrel, a packable hunting rifle.

The A1 trigger can be adjusted to be a very fine trigger. The one A2 trigger I've tried felt a bit mushy but still a very good trigger. With some of the deals I've seen on the "old" A1, I'd have no hesitation picking one up. Either would be a great rifle and with the right barrel, a packable hunting rifle.

Agreed. Super easy to make the A1 crisp!

Agreed. We have three A1s in the family. Most of the weight savings in the A2 comes from not having a monopod and barrel changes. We swap to short hand guards, drop out the monopod and go with shorter (16”) barrels with lighter contours. Makes them a pleasure to hunt with and keeps the ergonomics and glass the same. Need to get an A2 apart and see what and where it was milled but I believe it’s still less than a 8oz weight savings.

Well , took the 338 Norma Magnum out for a spin .
Loaded 250 Berger's OTM behind 87gr of 2225 ( retumbo ) . Must say it shot exceptionally well considering I was fireforming brass and just threw a load together .

Shot on the right is POI with my 300wm barrel zero .

Dialed half mil to the left and put 3 rounds in the same hole .
Impressive
20190920_120545.jpg

Attachments

• 20190921_210732.jpg
    20190921_210732.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 112
Question. I’m going to a covert in srsa1. I’m looking at doing an 18 inch 6.5 Creedmore barrel! Would a vortex amg be a good fit on this room etc? And also what Moa Dt scope base? I’ve had the normal sea just not the covert. Thanks

I’m taking advantage of the Minox 50% off and was buying the ZP 5-25x56 which is longer than the AMG.

Anyone running this scope on one of these rifles? Should I be concerned with the length?

This is a ZCO on the short DT hand guard with a 16” barrel. I had a 5-25 TT and it was dangerously close to the end of the short handguard.

Attachments

• 1525A47A-6C87-48A9-9D5C-793510508A18.jpeg
    1525A47A-6C87-48A9-9D5C-793510508A18.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 659C00E8-A776-489E-BDD5-895D26147EA9.jpeg
    659C00E8-A776-489E-BDD5-895D26147EA9.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 204
This is a ZCO on the short DT hand guard with a 16” barrel. I had a 5-25 TT and it was dangerously close to the end of the short handguard.
Nice rifle! Serial #5959 seems like it's pretty recently made, not?

How do you find the ZCO stacks up against the TT?

I have a 50 percent off certifificate with vortex is why I’m wanting to go that route! Amg is the shortest scope, right?

Reactions: Surferjoe
Nice rifle! Serial #5959 seems like it's pretty recently made, not?

How do you find the ZCO stacks up against the TT?
It’s a little over a year old. The ZCO stacks up extremely well to the TT. I prefer he tool less turrets of the TT but I wanted the locking turrets and short body worse. The glass, parallax, DOF and is extremely close. I had the gen2xr on the TT, like the MPCT 2 much better.

Daniel at Primal Finish did the cerakote. His work is impeccable and he is a stand up guy.
Give him a call: 901-451-1249

Sir,
Did you notice any difference in the Thunder Beast of mirage after painting it?

For those of you w/ a SAC 223 - what loads are you running?