• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Lapua brass 24.5 Varget Nosler 85 RDF @2886. Sub 1/4 to 1/2.

This was with the new prime am mo.

Attachments

• 23F67ECD-B883-48E8-AEC9-D773DF724A1A.jpeg
    23F67ECD-B883-48E8-AEC9-D773DF724A1A.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 84
For those of you w/ a SAC 223 - what loads are you running?
25 grains of VVN-140, with either a 77gr Lapua Scenar or a 77gr Sierra MK has worked extremely well for me. For a factory load, try Black Hills 77 grain Match (blue box).

For inexpensive plinking or varmint hunting, I've found 60 gr Sierra Varminters to be very accurate with 25.4 grains of H-335.
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG

Man seriously can not wait for my 223 , currently in customs Waiting for clearance . Next month barrel will be spun up.

Going with a 22" Lothar Walther 1:8 barrel throated for 80 amaxs

I'm not sure about everyone else but I got rid of the factory bore guide. I got tired of trying to keep solvent out of the area leading up to the barrel.
IMG_4331.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG

Reactions: M77
I just take the barrel out too. Why wouldn't you? It keeps any crap from getting in and gumming things up and since the guns rezero about perfectly there isn't any real reason not to.

What the hell are recoil spacers?

Frank
I was wondering the same thing for quite sometime. I’m guessing he is asking about length of pull spacers?

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Does anyone know the difference in weight between the A2 and the Covert chassis? I can’t find it.
According to Desert Tech's website
The covert with a 16" 308 barrel is 8 lbs
The A2 with a 22" 308 barrel is 8.9 lbs
So extra the extra handguard and 6 inches of extra barrel add less than a pound.

I want to say that the difference between an SRS A2 Chassis and a Covert A2 Chassis is just a couple ounces. I can put some chassis on the scale at my shop and let you know exactly what the difference is. The difference between an A1 Chassis and an A2 Chassis is a little over 1.5 lbs.

Reactions: rydah
Sounds like with the A2, there's not really much point in going with the Covert unless you want the short overall length. Still holding out for a lefty A2 but it'll probably be a while if at all.

I have a random question for you guys. What's the biggest diameter the clamping area of the barrel can be or the biggest you've seen that has fit? The 2 barrels I have are both are 1.251".

I have a random question for you guys. What's the biggest diameter the clamping area of the barrel can be or the biggest you've seen that has fit? The 2 barrels I have are both are 1.251".
I had one barrel that was 1.253” that would not fit in my specific chassis. It would get about 1/3 the way in with moderate pressure but get stuck. Supposedly it was confirmed to fit in another chassis. I guess what I’m saying is different chassis will have difference tolerances.

Reactions: jzerfoss
I’ve had some barrels that wouldn’t fit into my chassis if the tenon was cerakoted.
It’s right in that 1.25” ballpark +/- a thousandth or two.

Anyone know a good pack to carry an SRS in the field? Thinking of taking my SRSA2 on some hunts. Anyone know if the butt pad fits in a Kifaru Sherman?
I bought the Eberlestock G2 Gunslinger II Backpack with Butt Cover Dry Earth. My friend hunts with his SRS A1 and had this backpack when we went hunting for elk in Colorado.

Reactions: John_in_WYO
They dropped weight from the chassis by machining out the action, changing the handguard and dropping the monopod.

I ordered the A2 and I intend on hunting with it.
With a carbon 22 inch 308 barrel it will bring the weight down the 7.5 lbs plus the scope and rings so that’s light enough for me.
What company makes the carbon barrel if you don't mind me asking? I have an SRS A1 and want to hunt with it.

The original spec on the barrel diameter for the clamped area is 1.250 + 0, -.001". It is possible to spread the receiver open a little but its not good to stress the receiver that way. I too have had issues fitting barrels that have been painted with any kind of paint on the clamped area. Some of the paints are very difficult to remove too. One customer had a barrel done in KG Gunkote that took over an hour to sand back down to the metal. The moral of the story is don't paint that part.

As for how small is too small, my opinion from experience is about .001" smaller. Once again clamping down on a smaller diameter barrel will stress the receiver to yield with the system they have. That makes it very tough to fit a standard size barrel back into the receiver once you've clamped it down on an undersized barrel. It is one detail that is absolutely critical for the rifles. They need to be parallel also and not tapered in either direction.

Hope that helps.

Frank

Reactions: PRDRIVER
I’m a lefty and have been out of shooting for around the past 5 years (children born). I finally think I can fit it back in and was looking at the SRS/SRS covert platform when returning to enjoy in addition to my 700P in an AICS chassis and TRG-42. Both the bolts and my AR’s are all RH. How much am I going to hate shooting a RH SRS shooting lefty? Do I need to suck it up and go 1 generation old and go LH?

I’m a lefty and have been out of shooting for around the past 5 years (children born). I finally think I can fit it back in and was looking at the SRS/SRS covert platform when returning to enjoy in addition to my 700P in an AICS chassis and TRG-42. Both the bolts and my AR’s are all RH. How much am I going to hate shooting a RH SRS shooting lefty? Do I need to suck it up and go 1 generation old and go LH?

You’re going to have to lift your face for every bolt cycle. That or get used to punching yourself in the face. Obviously you won’t be able to maintain cheek weld through multiple shots. I’ve practiced week side and it sucks. Just my opinion of course.

Other than having to lift your head to cycle the bolt, it shouldn't be much of an issue although you might not be able to get much of a cheekweld

Last edited:
The first time I shot a DT it was a right handed model and I am a lefty. It is a pain in the butt, you don't get a decent cheek weld. Shooting the HTI in 50BMG from the "wrong side" was even worse. I loved the platform and saved my pennies until I could get one with the bolt on the correct side. Get a used A1 lefty. There still may be one discounted at euro optics.

The original spec on the barrel diameter for the clamped area is 1.250 + 0, -.001". It is possible to spread the receiver open a little but its not good to stress the receiver that way. I too have had issues fitting barrels that have been painted with any kind of paint on the clamped area. Some of the paints are very difficult to remove too. One customer had a barrel done in KG Gunkote that took over an hour to sand back down to the metal. The moral of the story is don't paint that part.

As for how small is too small, my opinion from experience is about .001" smaller. Once again clamping down on a smaller diameter barrel will stress the receiver to yield with the system they have. That makes it very tough to fit a standard size barrel back into the receiver once you've clamped it down on an undersized barrel. It is one detail that is absolutely critical for the rifles. They need to be parallel also and not tapered in either direction.

Hope that helps.

Frank
Proof Research lists their DT SRS barrel blanks with a diameter of 1,247.

Going by what you wrote that seems way too small...

Attachments

• proof-research-desert-tech-contour.jpg
    proof-research-desert-tech-contour.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 82

Mark at SAC will also chamber proof barrels for you. I have a 26” 300 PRC and absolutely love it.

Reactions: Baer45
  • Haha
Reactions: soflastg
Sounds like with the A2, there's not really much point in going with the Covert unless you want the short overall length. Still holding out for a lefty A2 but it'll probably be a while if at all.

I was told that DT still has a good inventory of finished left hand receivers. I can't see them offering an A2 until that inventory level comes down substantially.

Reactions: 7mmShooter
I had one barrel that was 1.253” that would not fit in my specific chassis. It would get about 1/3 the way in with moderate pressure but get stuck. Supposedly it was confirmed to fit in another chassis. I guess what I’m saying is different chassis will have difference tolerances.

A
Does anyone know the difference in weight between the A2 and the Covert chassis? I can’t find it.

The weight difference between an A2 Covert and A2 SRS is 1.5 ounces.

Reactions: rydah

That does seem really small. The numbers I quoted were from the drawings DT used to supply to anyone who asked. My experience has been that if you go too small it makes it difficult to fit anything larger. As with all things, your mileage may vary.

Frank

I was told that DT still has a good inventory of finished left hand receivers. I can't see them offering an A2 until that inventory level comes down substantially.
Good to know Rob, with all the sales seemingly over I thought they might be out of them, but it sounds like dealers just aren't recieving more quite yet.

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up ordering an A1 SRS LH in .308 22” and 6.5 creedmore from Europtics. Any recommendations for factor ammunition? It’s been nearly 6 years since I’ve hand loaded and I’m less worried about the cost side as of late, more worried about the time.

I was looking at prime, FGMM, and the desert tech ammo along with Hornandy Match.

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up ordering an A1 SRS LH in .308 22” and 6.5 creedmore from Europtics. Any recommendations for factor ammunition? It’s been nearly 6 years since I’ve hand loaded and I’m less worried about the cost side as of late, more worried about the time.

I was looking at prime, FGMM, and the desert tech ammo along with Hornandy Match.

Good for you.

I’ve shot all the brands you listed through my DT. My 308 barrel really likes Prime (old version, haven’t shot the new stuff), and Desert Tech. The Desert Tech stuff is pricey but shoots really really well. I more often shoot FGMM because it’s cheaper and I’m just shooting steel. It’s not quite as accurate, but for fun range time it’s a great value. I don’t have a 6.5 creedmoor barrel anymore but when I did it liked Hornady really well.

I bought an A2 Covert 308 for LE duty use a couple months back. We shoot FGMM 168’s in addition to a bonded round. I’ve shot FGMM 168’s in at least 6 different rifles and it groups pretty well in all of them. Even another one with a 1:8 twist barrel. That said, I can’t get my Covert to group any better than about .8 MOA, and that’s on a good day. My Desert Tech experience has been pretty disappointing so far, and there’s more to it that I won’t go into right now because at this point I’m here to troubleshoot, not complain. First I wanna rule out the possibility that it just doesn’t like this ammo. I’ve pretty much ruled out shooter error, unless this is just the most absolutely unforgiving precision rifle I’ve ever shot. Does anybody else have experience with this particular rifle/ammo combination that can tell me what kinda groups you’re getting?

I see the barrel for the covert in 308 is 16" and 1-8 twist. The question I have is how accurate is it with 168 or even 155 grain bullets?

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I have a customer who tried the 168 FGMM ammo in his covert and had difficulty getting it under an inch. We loaded up some 175gr matchkings in the fired Federal brass and the rifle shot about a half inch consistently. The covert barrels don't always seem to like the Federal and I'm not sure why. On the other hand the factory barrels seem to be capable of excellent accuracy with properly loaded ammo. Factory stuff just isn't always right for all barrels.

Frank

I’ll try some 175’s soon just to see what happens, but the issue is that we are issued FGMM 168’s, so that’s what I’m stuck with whether the gun will group with them or not. It would be more realistic for me to change guns/barrels than to switch to a different ammo.

Also I did talk to someone at Desert Tech who said that he has used FGMM 168’s a lot in a covert 308 and they were sub half-moa.

Hey everyone, I'm selling a couple DTS Bartlein barrels. Just built a dedicated PRS rifle and these not needed. I posted them on sale thread as well.

26" .308 shot about 500 rounds. 2,900 fps superperformance ELDs 168gr.
And 26" 300 NORM not broken in. Maybe 10 shots. 3150 fps

Both chambered by Marc @ SAC

1k for .308, area419 w universal adapter included. 3 shot groups shown below

1,300 for 300NORM w complete bolt, magazine and area419 universal adapter

These barrels shoot amazing

Spec sheets
Screenshot_20191001-134329_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Screenshot_20190926-034344_Dropbox.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190926-035226_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190926-035226_Facebook.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_20190926-035219_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190926-035219_Facebook.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I don’t understand why it’s the rifles fault that the barrel doesn’t like a certain ammo. Buying a factory rifle and hoping it likes a certain factory ammo is just spinning the dice. If it doesn’t shoot a certain ammo it just doesn’t shoot it, move on, sell the barrel because there’s probably nothing wrong with it and get something built and tailored to the ammo you’re required to run.

I would be contacting the top guys doing desert tech barrel like es tactical, short action customs or special purpose rifles (if they can’t help then call someone like Dave Tooley) and have them spec the twist rate and barrel length for the bullet you’ll be running and also choose the reamer and specs to cut the chamber to so you get the performance you need when running Factory 168 FGMM.

SAC made me two tack drivers. I love his work.

Reactions: Baer45 and cro789
I bought an A2 Covert 308 for LE duty use a couple months back. We shoot FGMM 168’s in addition to a bonded round. I’ve shot FGMM 168’s in at least 6 different rifles and it groups pretty well in all of them. Even another one with a 1:8 twist barrel. That said, I can’t get my Covert to group any better than about .8 MOA, and that’s on a good day. My Desert Tech experience has been pretty disappointing so far, and there’s more to it that I won’t go into right now because at this point I’m here to troubleshoot, not complain. First I wanna rule out the possibility that it just doesn’t like this ammo. I’ve pretty much ruled out shooter error, unless this is just the most absolutely unforgiving precision rifle I’ve ever shot. Does anybody else have experience with this particular rifle/ammo combination that can tell me what kinda groups you’re getting?
My A2 covert in 308 dislikes pretty much every 168 I have shot through it. FGMM, Hornady Match and Tap. Best groups where just under 1 moa (with me shooting). It hates 155’s. I tossed in some reloads mimicked after the M118LR and it was half minute. Never went back to the lighter round.
Also department pricing on the 168 and 175 are usually the exact same price, so if your rifle likes it better, talk to whomever you need to and have them order it for you.