• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

For those of you wanting RRS spec ARCA style rails on the A2. Do you want a continual full length rail along the entire bottom of the hand guard to the frame or would you prefer a shorter rail (5” or so) that would go from the trigger guard to to the first couple inches of the hand guard (similar to what RRS has for the A1)?

shorter gets my vote also

Mark from SAC replied to an email I sent asking for approx time for my 223 conversion I ordered on the Black Friday special. He said they’re done or nearly so on their work. Waiting on parts from Desert Tech before shipping. He said a couple weeks, hopefully.

I was totally expecting February or even March if the orders were numerous. Not late December or early January.

Now I need to decide on some ammo to buy. Anyone want to suggest something that works well in their barrel?

Edit:

I guess I should add I have ordered a 26”, long range chamber for the barrel, not the varmit chamber.
Thank you for the update And that is the best fricken news I have heard in a long time.
I wonder what the hell they could be waiting on from Desert? I thought they engineered and made all the 223 parts?
I too ordered the 26” long chambered barrel.
I have seen a good amount of people with great results with the 75gr ELD. But that was handloads.

Thank you for the update And that is the best fricken news I have heard in a long time.
I wonder what the hell they could be waiting on from Desert? I thought they engineered and made all the 223 parts?
I too ordered the 26” long chambered barrel.
I have seen a good amount of people with great results with the 75gr ELD. But that was handloads.
I ordered a bolt too. As to anything else, I don’t know.

What kind of barrel life are you guys expecting in that 223 Conversion Kit from SAC? (with the Bartlein barrel)

Reactions: deersniper
Does anyone have the program file to 3d print a single shot sled for SRS? I’ve seen a few for sale but I’ve got a 3d printer sitting idle. Thanks

This is what mine will do when I do my part. From the fat belly prone and bipod rear bag
B5A93509-4084-434E-A73E-53FCC218E1F8.jpeg
B5A93509-4084-434E-A73E-53FCC218E1F8.jpeg

Yes sir and 24.5 grains of Varget set to the ogive at 1.980 and that is .014 off the lands.

Reactions: M289
Here's a couple more SAC 223 conversion groups. The green dots were Black Hills 77gr Match factory ammo and the orange dot is a handload; 60gr Sierra Varminter, 25.4 gr H-335.

Attachments

• IMG_1693.PNG
    IMG_1693.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1694.PNG
    IMG_1694.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
What kind of speed are you getting out of the H335? I was able to get 2880 out of there varget.

Jeez sac 223 conversion wasn’t even on my radar until these last few posts. And I missed the Black Friday deal.

I didn't chronograph that load, but Quickload (which I have found to usually be pretty accurate) has it at 3279 fps from a 26" barrel. Also, please note that this is an above listed maximum load. It shows no pressure signs in my rifle, but that might not be the case in yours, so approach with caution.

What I can say for certain is that it's an awesome varmint load!

I have thought of the SAC conversion, but I don't shoot a lot of .223 and I figure for $1700 I can shoot around 1700 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor...I also have a few gas guns in 223/556 and I can shoot them if need be.

I have 6 conversion kits for my DTA. The SAC 223 is definitely my favorite. In my humble opinion, it's a "must have" if you own a DTA.
Quite the addiction ;)

I'm looking at a SAC 223 kit but so far the high cost that comes with exporting it to Europe has held me off... :cry:

My .223AI is definitely my favorite conversion, all of my others have been collecting dust since I got it.

mind sharing some details of your 223 AI ? Sorry if you already have the 238 pages is a lot to read through!

Oh hell, I missed the Ai part of that. I remember discussing wanting to try the 223ai but didn't know anyone did one in the DT. Any feeding issues?

The AI feeds great, I’ve been shooting 80gr eld’s And 53gr vmax. Shoots both absolutely incredible. Not sure if I have the only that Mark has built or not, I haven’t heard of any others.

If I didn’t have a different rifle in 223ai I would also have a conversion chambered in it. Really fun round.

If so, from .22 LR to 37XC. Pretty wide array of calibers!
Though I think the 223 SAC conversion is the basement on calibers. The chassis can’t do everything , but it would be cool to have a real heavy 22LR.

Would it be possible to have someone else make a barrel for the SAC 223 Conversion Kit?
Re-using the SAC barrel extension but using for example a Proof Research DTSRS 224 blank?

Or would you need a barrel blueprint?

Reactions: deersniper
Would it be possible to have someone else make a barrel for the SAC 223 Conversion Kit?
Re-using the SAC barrel extension but using for example a Proof Research DTSRS 224 blank?

Or would you need a barrel blueprint?

I think the problem is the special parts they have designed in the kit. Like the magazine, bolt head and lug extension. So long as you have those parts I don’t see why a talented gunsmith familiar with DT wouldn’t be able to take measurements and remove the lug extension and spin a barrel for you. But I would only go this route if SAC closed their doors for some shity reason. That would be my only reason for having someone else make a 223 barrel.
Keep in mind they don’t sell the magazine, bolt head and other parts separate from the barrel unless you have already bought the complete kit.

I think the problem is the special parts they have designed in the kit. Like the magazine, bolt head and lug extension. So long as you have those parts I don’t see why a talented gunsmith familiar with DT wouldn’t be able to take measurements and remove the lug extension and spin a barrel for you. But I would only go this route if SAC closed their doors for some shity reason. That would be my only reason for having someone else make a 223 barrel.
Keep in mind they don’t sell the magazine, bolt head and other parts separate from the barrel unless you have already bought the complete kit.
Not trying to bypass Short Action Customs, on the contrary! I want to get everything from them, I respect the work that they did developing the 223 Conversion Kit and I hear great things about their quality.
However, as I'm not from the USA I will pay a hefty export/import tax so I was wondering if the next barrel could be sourced locally.

But of course based on all the parts from the SAC conversion kit.

Not trying to bypass Short Action Customs, on the contrary! I want to get everything from them, I respect the work that they did developing the 223 Conversion Kit and I hear great things about their quality.
However, as I'm not from the USA I will pay a hefty export/import tax so I was wondering if the next barrel could be sourced locally.

But of course based on all the parts from the SAC conversion kit.
I figured that was what you were getting at. Just wanted to throw all the details at you so you were fully aware. I’m sure they would also understand your position so you send them an email about how easy it would be for another smith to make another barrel and swap extension when the time comes. SAC is very friendly, down to earth and easy to work with.

Thanks!
By the way, what's the maximum COAL for the SAC 223 magazine?

I traded off my A1 300 Norma about 18 months ago due to the weight and have been regretting it ever since. The more I drool over the A2 the more I want to get back into the DT platform, especially since I started shooting and hunting suppressed.

Is the A2 with a Proof barrel going to be substantially lighter or am I just kidding myself? I personally don't mind the weight but Idaho has a stupid 16 lb limit for legal hunting rifles.

I'll be using a 5-25 ATACR, Atlas and TBAC 338 Ultra. Before you all say to get a lighter scope, it's not happening, love my ATACR.

I traded off my A1 300 Norma about 18 months ago due to the weight and have been regretting it ever since. The more I drool over the A2 the more I want to get back into the DT platform, especially since I started shooting and hunting suppressed.

Is the A2 with a Proof barrel going to be substantially lighter or am I just kidding myself? I personally don't mind the weight but Idaho has a stupid 16 lb limit for legal hunting rifles.

I'll be using a 5-25 ATACR, Atlas and TBAC 338 Ultra. Before you all say to get a lighter scope, it's not happening, love my ATACR.

im moving over to an A2 covert and hoping to hunt with it. I’m considering a light contour barrel from ES Tactical and a Minox scope. I believe I’ll scoot under 12 or even 11.5 lbs.

65X55guy if you would let me know how this goes I maybe doing the same.

im moving over to an A2 covert and hoping to hunt with it. I’m considering a light contour barrel from ES Tactical and a Minox scope. I believe I’ll scoot under 12 or even 11.5 lbs.
I have the A2 and Minox. Weight is one ounce heavier than the covert. I can weigh it without the barrel, if you want.

95800D31-5117-4619-8B1F-FF9A66A5956D.png

Looks like covert with 18” 6.5CM fluted barrel would be 8.3 lbs, per the DTA website. Minox is 2.2lbs, and my mount is .6 lbs.

So 11.1 lbs total unloaded if I go with a lighter or shorter barrel. Right now I will run my 6.5CM 26” from my A1, which will probably be a half pound heavier, and research other cartridges to see what might fit the bill for my needs. A2 should arrive Thursday at my FFL. Thanks @PRDRIVER !

Reactions: PRDRIVER
Lots of discussion about the weight and everyone seems to post what their complete rifle weighs. That’s helpful to the point where someone needs to hit a 16lb restriction.

Here’s my take:
A1 Covert Chassis + Skins, monopod removed: 4 lb 8 oz
Buttpad, no spacers: 7 oz
Buttpad spacer, each: 2.6 oz
A1 Bolt, “308”: 12.2 oz
A2 Bolt, “308”: 12.0 oz
SA 6 Rd Mag, empty: 6.5 oz
Monopod: 5.6 oz
RRS ARCA Plate: 6.2 oz
ARC M10 QD-L 30mm mount: 8.5 oz

260 Rem barrel, fluted barrel and tenon, 27”, .920 muzzle with Area 419 adapter: 5 lb 4 oz

300 Win Mag barrel, non fluted, 27”, .850 muzzle, Area 419 adapter, 5 lb 1 oz

6xc barrel, non fluted, 27”, .875 muzzle, Area 419 adapter, 5 lb 5 oz

308 barrel, non fluted, 17”, .890 muzzle, Area 419 adapter, 3 lb 8 oz

450 Bushmaster barrel, non fluted, 23”, .920 muzzle, Area 419 adapter, 4 lb 6 oz

260 Rem barrel, non fluted, 19”, .875 muzzle, Area 419 adapter, 4 lb 6 oz

Add up what you’ll need, pick your rings/mount, add your scope weight and total weight of ammo and you should be good.
The A2 chassis saves about a pound, so hopefully someone else can post the exact weight with the bolt, buttpad, magazine removed.