Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
I bought an SRS when there was no covert back in 2010 or so. Got tired of adding extensions to my short barrels and finally got a covert handguard for it. Have never looked back. The long handguard gains you nothing unless you need the length for a rail mounted starlight or thermal. I've been running barrels from 16" to 34" with no issues. I had the 33XC out in South Dakota last year shooting out to 2500yds. I've got a couple 30 in barrels I run in 7.5 Swiss and 338 Lapua and neither of them have any problems with the short handguard. The gun balances well on the bipod and doesn't tip despite the long barrels with suppressors mounted on them.

Just my thoughts. Getting ready to swap out the long handguard on my new SRS A1 for a shorty.

Frank

Goathead1096

Private
Belligerents
Nov 15, 2010
Utah
I bought an SRS when there was no covert back in 2010 or so. Got tired of adding extensions to my short barrels and finally got a covert handguard for it. Have never looked back. The long handguard gains you nothing unless you need the length for a rail mounted starlight or thermal. I've been running barrels from 16" to 34" with no issues. I had the 33XC out in South Dakota last year shooting out to 2500yds. I've got a couple 30 in barrels I run in 7.5 Swiss and 338 Lapua and neither of them have any problems with the short handguard. The gun balances well on the bipod and doesn't tip despite the long barrels with suppressors mounted on them.

Just my thoughts. Getting ready to swap out the long handguard on my new SRS A1 for a shorty.

Frank
I'm not sold on it yet, but my "standard" rifles seem to point more true with the standard mounting point. This is my first entry into a bullpup, so maybe I just need more time behind the gun. Thank you for sharing your experience.

65x55guy

Maker of bad decisions
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas
That’s what I did, and I worked to lighten up the Covert. Now I have a heavyweight with a Razor Gen 2 and a lightweight with a Bushy LRHS.
im guessing this is a hunting rig, yeah? I’ve got a bushy 4.5-18 LRHS as well on another rifle. Could be fun to swap it across. What’s your go-to hunting barrel chambered in?

Mr. Zick

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Wisconsin
Anyone got a reliable lead time on Chassis and such from Desert Tech. I ordered in Mid January; I've been told "next week" every Friday since. It's getting into spring time and I need to start getting practice in!
Any update? I’m waiting myself.

canezach

House of Chingasos
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2014
Colorado
Guys, I need to double check the thread pitch on the bolt knob. M6x1, correct? Just like the CZ457 and Bergara, right? I know it was listed in this thread somewhere, but since we're up to 248 pages, it's a lot to wade through to find the post

canezach

House of Chingasos
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2014
Colorado
Has anyone shot the ES tactical barrels with the x-caliber blanks? How are they shooting?
I can't comment on the X-caliber barrels, since I've always ordered his cut rifled barrels, but I have four or five barrels from Eric for my DT and AX. All have been fantastic, so I wouldn't think any different about the X-cal. If you find it doesn't shoot, he'll replace it.

Reload10

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Quick question - I have an A2 and I'm wondering if the bolt and barrels are interchangeable from the A1? Local guy has a 338 barrel bolt from an A1 and Idk it will work in my chassis?

Reactions: rust4brains

Mr. Zick

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
Wisconsin
Yes backwards compatible. According to all of their videos and everything I’ve been reading for the last year. Not hands on experience, just so it’s said.

deersniper

Notorious
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2007
Northeast
Deersniper,

Who made your tripod attachment for your SRS-A1 Covert in the picture?
It looks like an RRS product but I didn’t think they made one to fit a Covert.

Thanks.
It is the RRS. It fits fine but the Covert only has 2 tapped holes and the RRS has 3. I’m just running the 2 holes till I get around to drilling’s tapping the 3rd

Drew890

RLTW
Belligerents
Feb 21, 2010
Las Vegas
I apologize if this has already been discussed in the previous 12,375 posts, but I’m curious if a stock 26 inch DTA barrel can be successfully cut down to shorten it. I wasnt sure if the stock barrel fluting prevents cutting and rethreading. Thanks

Kopfjager1

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2017
I'm sure it could, it would not look great, but I'm not sure the depressions from the fluting will interfere with squaring the shoulders. However, ES Tactical has button-rifled barrel for 675. You will probably pay 100-200 for a cut and rethread, at that point, you may as well buy a new barrel, and use the barrel extensions for the rebarrel(s).

sixstrings101

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 12, 2014
Youre better of trading or selling it. Then buy what you want from any of the stud smiths that roll barrels.

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
I've shortened a few barrels for customers and other than having the flutes run all the way to shoulder its fine. Looks odd but who really cares. The flutes have no effect on the cutting of the shoulder. Its still square and true.....as long as you machine it that way.

Frank

b2169

Private
Belligerents
Mar 13, 2014
I apologize if this has already been discussed in the previous 12,375 posts, but I’m curious if a stock 26 inch DTA barrel can be successfully cut down to shorten it. I wasnt sure if the stock barrel fluting prevents cutting and rethreading. Thanks
Yes it can. Cut down my 6.5 creed And rethreaded shoots great

Reactions: Drew890

alfmoonspace

Melmackian
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
Anyone shooting HTI’s in a 375 CT? Greg no longer sells them but Eric will spin a K & P barrel for me. Thoughts?

Reload10

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Any issues feeding a 40* shoulder from the long action mags? Thinking of the 338 norma mag improved, or an improved saum like a sherman short mag

alfmoonspace

Melmackian
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
Don't shoot short mags - no reason really.

338 LM feeds fine and I am sure the NM will need some polishing of the mag lips.

DoctorBen

Private
Belligerents
Dec 7, 2011
Temporarily Stuck on Long Island
My Conversion in 6.5CM is finally shipping. The chassis, too, I believe. Desert Tech was out of the office yesterday from what I can tell.

My next conversion will be a bigger boomer.

I live in Ohio. Bigger calibers are simply just something that I'll not shoot much but think will be fun to throw heavy lead with.

Is there a reason I should go with .338 NM instead of .338LM? Some other 250gr+ round that has a advantage over the (relative) availability of .338LM?

Snipe260

Captain
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
My Conversion in 6.5CM is finally shipping. The chassis, too, I believe. Desert Tech was out of the office yesterday from what I can tell.

I live in Ohio. Bigger calibers are simply just something that I'll not shoot much but think will be fun to throw heavy lead with.

Is there a reason I should go with .338 NM instead of .338LM? Some other 250gr+ round that has a advantage over the (relative) availability of .338LM?
300 Norma mag!!!

Reactions: deersniper

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com

It doesn’t meet the 250gr+ requirement but the 300 PRC is a pretty interesting round and ammo is much less expensive.

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
Anyone shooting HTI’s in a 375 CT? Greg no longer sells them but Eric will spin a K & P barrel for me. Thoughts?
I have a good friend shooting the 375 CT in his HTI. He managed a hit at 2 miles last june in South Dakota. Many repeatable hits at 2700 to 3000 yds too. I built the barrel he was shooting out there from a Bartlein blank. Its about 36" to gain a bit more velocity. Its much better than the factory barrel up close too. I like the round myself. Its not bad to shoot in the HTI and is really accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to do one of those if I had an HTI. I made up a 33XC for my SRS and got out to 2600 without too much trouble.

Frank

1badbarrel

Dt srs wa
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Wet side wa
Is anyone running a 6.5 SAUM in an SRS? How does it shoot/feed?
I use a 6.5 Saum in an a1. Mostly that conversion for hunting. Shoots and feeds great. 22.5’’ barrel. Run it suppressed sometimes. Berger vld hunting 140gr around 61 gr of h1000, average 3015 mv. I think that barrel and mag was from tye . I’ll post a couple pics of the bent mag.

Reactions: GMZ

sixpack340

Thrower of angry avocados
Belligerents
Sep 6, 2009
york, pa
I finally joined the srs cool kid club. Picked up an A1 covert on another site and took it out this weekend for some range therapy with a buddy. I'm madly in love with this thing and wish I'd have got one a long time ago. Waiting on my can to get out of atf jail and it cant come soon enough because a 16" 308 is a little obnoxious without a can. 20200315_205744.jpg20200315_205847.jpg

GMZ

Retired
Belligerents
Mar 15, 2007
PNW
I use a 6.5 Saum in an a1. Mostly that conversion for hunting. Shoots and feeds great. 22.5’’ barrel. Run it suppressed sometimes. Berger vld hunting 140gr around 61 gr of h1000, average 3015 mv. I think that barrel and mag was from tye . I’ll post a couple pics of the bent mag.
Awesome how is H1000 with the can? I hear it cakes up really quickly. Got an A1 on the way from Fred, looking at getting a SAUM bbl from ES in 22.5 or 24.

Fishkat

Aka Fishcricket
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama
Yep that’s odd being off center but has been mentioned previously On this thread but dont know here. I’m assuming all ammo you shoot the primer strikes are off center, as long as it goes boom and the bullet exits the muzzle it doesn’t matter. As far as the ammo goes I’d mark that up to just not being a good match for your rifle. Berger says minimum 8 twist which I’m again guessing you have since that’s pretty common for the 6.5. Might need to load your own so you can tweak things to make the 156 get the accuracy you are looking for.

Reload10

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
I just am a little disappointed considering the cost of the rifle. I'm hoping it doesn't lead to high SD'S.

What factory ammo are people shooting successfully in their 6.5 cm factory barrel?