• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the ES tactical button rifles barrels? How has the performance been?

I received one about a month ago in 25 creedmoor. I’m still developing a load but so far the accuracy has been excellent. I have a cut barrel from Eric as well (difference chambering of course). I would have zero reservations buying another button barrel from Eric.

If for some reason you want a barrel over 26” in length you’ll have to get a cut rifle barrel.

I received one about a month ago in 25 creedmoor. I’m still developing a load but so far the accuracy has been excellent. I have a cut barrel from Eric as well (difference chambering of course). I would have zero reservations buying another button barrel from Eric.

If for some reason you want a barrel over 26” in length you’ll have to get a cut rifle barrel.
I appreciate the feedback. I plan on starting off with 3 calibers and wanted one of them to be in a “burner” barrel as to not wear out something more expensive to replace. I plan on putting some time into the platform as I’d like to compete with it in 2021. It’s looking like a 20” 308 (button rifled) a 26” 6 CM and an TBD length 300NM. A friend with the platform is pushing me to SAC and I’ve only read good things... however having a CF option for the 2021 season seems appealing. How does the platform feel balance-wise with a Proof barrel compared to a standard med. Palma in comparable length?

I’ve never had a proof barrel in mine so I can’t comment on the balance. I’ve been tempted on several occasions to order one, but it would literally just be for coolness factor.
SAC makes awesome barrels too. I’ve always had great interactions with the SAC crew. I have a 308 barrel from them. I had a 300 Norma barrel from them at one time, but sold that barrel though.

Eric does very nice work and is a really good dude. 6cm would be a great candidate for one of his button barrels as they tend to be on the shorter side of barrel life. Especially if you compete.

Last edited:
I’ve never had a proof barrel in mine so I can’t comment on the balance. I’ve been tempted on several occasions to order one, but it would literally just be for coolness factor.
SAC makes awesome barrels too. I have a 308 barrel from them. I had a 300 Norma barrel from them at one time, but sold that barrel though.

Eric does very nice work and is a really good dude. 6cm would be a great candidate for one of his button barrels as they tend to be on the shorter side of barrel life. Especially if you compete.
Thanks Chad.. I appreciate you. Excited already- I’m sure you remember how this felt! If you don’t mind, why did you get rid of your Norma?

I still have time to ponder. Never thought choosing calibers when you can actually have all the calibers would be difficult ?

Thanks Chad.. I appreciate you. Excited already- I’m sure you remember how this felt! If you don’t mind, why did you get rid of your Norma?

I still have time to ponder. Never thought choosing calibers when you can actually have all the calibers would be difficult ?

It is tough to choose, no doubt. I sold it because I was an idiot. ?.

I still get excited to shoot my DT like it was new. I absolutely love the platform.

I have a 300 prc barrel now and enjoy it, but wish I never would’ve sold the Norma. Once the prc is shot out I will go back to Norma.

Reactions: deersniper
I appreciate the feedback. I plan on starting off with 3 calibers and wanted one of them to be in a “burner” barrel as to not wear out something more expensive to replace. I plan on putting some time into the platform as I’d like to compete with it in 2021. It’s looking like a 20” 308 (button rifled) a 26” 6 CM and an TBD length 300NM. A friend with the platform is pushing me to SAC and I’ve only read good things... however having a CF option for the 2021 season seems appealing. How does the platform feel balance-wise with a Proof barrel compared to a standard med. Palma in comparable length?
If you are competing, wouldnt you want the most weight possible?
As far as burner barrels, 308 is going to take a long time to burn. Also, if you buy a barrel with a overly long clamping area, you can set back the burnt barrel for much less than the cost of a rebarrel.

Why would you need to go to cut rifling in a barrel over 26" I've done barrels up to 36" with button rifled blanks. It all depends on the maker of the blanks and what lengths they have available. I got a 33" blank from Schneider for a 33XC finished to 32". A 32" blank from Lothar Walther for a finished length of 31" in 338 Lapua mag. If you look around and ask you can normally find some longer blanks button rifled.

Frank

Why would you need to go to cut rifling in a barrel over 26" I've done barrels up to 36" with button rifled blanks. It all depends on the maker of the blanks and what lengths they have available. I got a 33" blank from Schneider for a 33XC finished to 32". A 32" blank from Lothar Walther for a finished length of 31" in 338 Lapua mag. If you look around and ask you can normally find some longer blanks button rifled.

Frank

Because ES Tactical’s, who he asked about, button barrel length stops at 26”. ES Tactical doesn’t offer a button barrel over 26”

very jealous if you get to shoot the platform that much. I’m still learning and I’ve had mine almost 3 years. Purchased an A1 SRS, then traded it for an A2 covert this January

I’ve got a 6.5CM factory barrel@ 26”, a 28 Nosler by Sin City customs @ 28”, 308 factory @ 22”, and .223 chambered by a rando @ 22”.

you’ll hear this a lot, but a .223 is very nice for training if you aren’t competing. I’ve been doing dot drills with mine to get better trigger discipline. The .308 was cheap- you’ll find them on PX for $650-700. Just a backup barrel thats obviously a great multipurpose

I didn’t find the swap to bullpup much of an issue, but I was never the best shooter. I always shoot prone. Just had to remember to run the bolt hard.

I’m no expert but I’m happy to help or talk through ideas anytime if you want to PM me.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

You don't want a carbon barrel for competition.

2 reasons. 1) you want weight out front for balance, DT's are ass heavy 2) price vs benefit: they cost more, but do nothing to improve your score

Reactions: waveslayer
Because ES Tactical’s, who he asked about, button barrel length stops at 26”. ES Tactical doesn’t offer a button barrel over 26”

Will he not use blanks from any other sources? I've not dealt with him at all and I'm asking, not trying to be a dickhead. I am pretty sure he's not making the blanks he's using but some smiths are really picky about what blanks they use. I figure the customer should be able to choose. I may not be normal in that.

Frank

Will he not use blanks from any other sources? I've not dealt with him at all and I'm asking, not trying to be a dickhead. I am pretty sure he's not making the blanks he's using but some smiths are really picky about what blanks they use. I figure the customer should be able to choose. I may not be normal in that.

Frank

He will use whatever you want but he bought a lot of blanks from xcaliber to keep costs low and turnaround time down, a button rifled SRS barrel for $675 in 3 weeks. Been thinking of getting one in 6.5 SAUM.

https://www.es-tactical.com/store1/SRS-Conversions-Button-Rifled-p156753001

We are very excited for our limited run of X-Caliber button rifled barrels. By ordering in volume we have been able to get the price on these down to $675 for a completed SRS barrel up to 26 inches in length. While we placed a large order, once the caliber and twist blanks are gone, they are gone until we are ready for the next bulk order. So if you have are looking for a great value for a barrel, don't wait!

(click contour for link to print):
Hunter
Medium Palma
1.045 Straight

Barrels have an approx 3 week lead time.

@biffj whats your findings with the 33xc? i was talking to another guy about it and he was saying 1000 rounds is about what barrel life is . Worse using powders like N570 closer to 500. recommended is H50bmg or IMR8133

Reactions: GMZ
is that with or with out barrel extension?

Says complete so that includes the extension. His cut barrels are very highly regarded but there aren’t too many reviews of the buttoned barrels.

@biffj whats your findings with the 33xc? i was talking to another guy about it and he was saying 1000 rounds is about what barrel life is . Worse using powders like N570 closer to 500. recommended is H50bmg or IMR8133
[/QUOTE

I have no idea yet how long this barrel will go. Its one of the Schneider P5 button rifled blanks and I've got around 200 rds through it so far. I started off with Reloder 33 and tried WC872 and WC868 too but the ball powders showed pressure at a lower velocity and weren't as accurate. Most of what I've run has been the RL33 and it has been very accurate. I'm going to try RL50 next and if I can get my hands on some H50BMG I'll give that a go too. The barrel is an 8 twist I think....been a while. I am running the 265gr Cutting Edge solids and everything so far has been fired with a suppressor. Bullets recovered from the steel targets at 2500 and 2600 yds showed they hit square.

Just getting started on working up loads with the slower powders as the weather warms up here. In playing with the seating depth I've measured only a very small change since new, about .005".
I'll keep folks posted as I get more rounds downrange. I'm thinking the 37XC might be a good one too.

Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: M77
Super curious on the 33xc setup with n570 as well. I would love to run it in my srsa1.
according to one of the members of the Tubb group , 300's going at 3225 fps he is expecting 500 rounds maximum out of his tube due to throat erosion .

quoting :

Now that I have this cartridge figured out a bit ill have a load alot quicker for the heavier rifle Im building myself. I won't be using N570 for it I don't think. Throat erosion is gonna be an issue w this combo. Im betting the barrel will last 500 rounds or less w N570. Ill use H50bmg or IMR8133 in the heavy rifle. However for this rifle I don't care about barrel life since its strictly for hunting. Ill put 10-15 rounds a year through it

It is tough to choose, no doubt. I sold it because I was an idiot. ?.

I still get excited to shoot my DT like it was new. I absolutely love the platform.

I have a 300 prc barrel now and enjoy it, but wish I never would’ve sold the Norma. Once the prc is shot out I will go back to Norma.

Good to know. I had a friend fire-forming some 300 Norma brass this weekend to 300NM improved.. was my first opportunity to shoot it next to a few of my rifles. My decision was made immediately :)

If you are competing, wouldnt you want the most weight possible?
As far as burner barrels, 308 is going to take a long time to burn. Also, if you buy a barrel with a overly long clamping area, you can set back the burnt barrel for much less than the cost of a rebarrel.

I should have clarified; I have a specific rifle I use for PRS or other "style" competition. This would be used for ruck matches... Mammoth, etc. Rucking long distance, every ounce counts :)

very jealous if you get to shoot the platform that much. I’m still learning and I’ve had mine almost 3 years. Purchased an A1 SRS, then traded it for an A2 covert this January

I’ve got a 6.5CM factory barrel@ 26”, a 28 Nosler by Sin City customs @ 28”, 308 factory @ 22”, and .223 chambered by a rando @ 22”.

you’ll hear this a lot, but a .223 is very nice for training if you aren’t competing. I’ve been doing dot drills with mine to get better trigger discipline. The .308 was cheap- you’ll find them on PX for $650-700. Just a backup barrel thats obviously a great multipurpose

I didn’t find the swap to bullpup much of an issue, but I was never the best shooter. I always shoot prone. Just had to remember to run the bolt hard.

I’m no expert but I’m happy to help or talk through ideas anytime if you want to PM me.

I greatly appreciate the information and availability- thank you. I strongly considered a .223 conversion but have started leaning towards a .308 due to many of the mk262 clones drying up (question on that below). I am going to look into sin city customs today when I get a chance. I'll message you with any specifics!

You don't want a carbon barrel for competition.

2 reasons. 1) you want weight out front for balance, DT's are ass heavy 2) price vs benefit: they cost more, but do nothing to improve your score

I agree on all accounts- as I said above it would be specifically for ruck/team matches.

A few questions: Who has experience with the LW desert tech barrels? My plan was to order an SAC Xcaliber button rifled barrel as my first while I wait on my cut rifled 6CM and 300NM, but through my preferred dealer, it looks to be equal or possibly less expensive overall ordering a build kit in 6.5CM (including bolt, stop, mag and barrel) than ordering a chassis and a SAC button rifled conversion.. then adding on the rest needed.

Just to confirm, there is no difference in the standard A2 Covert and standard rifle other than handguard length? If so I'll just purchase the standard and order the shorter handguard.

Lastly, (and subjectively) the FDE/BLK and OD/BLK chassis are really good looking.. coming from someone who prefers black rifles. Going to be hard not to get a color. And pictures of your rifles in black, FDE, OD or combination (or custom coated!) would be fantastic. Let's get some pictures rolling through!

EDIT: Forgot my question. I regularly shoot precision gas guns and one of my favorites is an 18" .223 wylde "SPR" type build. It loves Federal FC262, even more than the Black Hills mk262 load. For those that were unaware, lake city was producing FC262 to supplement the MK262 contract (to the best of my knowledge from what they told me) but supply has dried up. I swapped to magtech as even they were loading the contracted load.. which also dried up. Without getting into specifics, I was informed that they may "not be able to sell this anymore" which is a huge bummer.. BH wants way too much for their product IMO, especially considering the volume of it I shoot. Can anyone shed some light on this? If it involves negative specifics to any of the companies or heresay, please PM me. I am simply looking for a MK262 clone alternative.

Thank you to all who've answered my questions. If any of you are near SC and would like to meet up and shoot one day, don't hesitate to reach out. I am a member at a pretty good range including 1000 yds everyday access and a mile under certain circumstances :)

Last edited:
I shoot IMI Mk262 with my 16" Rainier Arms Ultramatch SDM barreled AR. With 50 rounds chronographed (going off of memory for SD and ES), MV was 2738, SD 24, ES 47, 3/4 -1 MOA. 73* 23% RH, 28.46 inHg (station pressure). Generally around $0.60/round. The LC Mk262 I had was similar SD and ES but MV was 2660.

I shoot IMI Mk262 with my 16" Rainier Arms Ultramatch SDM barreled AR. With 50 rounds chronographed (going off of memory for SD and ES), MV was 2738, SD 24, ES 47, 3/4 -1 MOA. 73* 23% RH, 28.46 inHg (station pressure). Generally around $0.60/round. The LC Mk262 I had was similar SD and ES but MV was 2660.

I have tried the IMI and have had some bad experiences, both in accuracy and reliability. I had some very large SD numbers in multiple lots, and my experiences have been mirrored by others that I’ve read about..I clocked one load over 3000fps out of my 18”. That wasn’t a fun day, and was glad the case was the only thing that ruptured. I’m hesitant to try again unless this QC issue has been recognized and fixed. It’s been about a year and a half now since but I haven’t looked into them any further. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone know of a long range in or around North Carolina? Looking for at least 1000y.

Thanks!
Where in North Carolina are you located? Columbia S.C. has a 600 range outside the city. I go to Clinton, SC- about 30 minutes from me in the upstate. It is 1000, with a mile target set up periodically.

Hi, I use to have a gen 1 Desert Tech SRS. I loved that rifle but I regrettably sold it when I got my first AI. The rifle was just as accurate at my two AI’s. I actually loved the trigger and I loved how compact the rifle was. Neve has any issues for the two caliber conversions that I had (308 and 300 win mag). The only thing that I didn’t like was the magazines. When mine was inserted, it would jiggle still and rattle. I was told that was normal by Desert Tech. Never caused any issues. So my question is did this ever get fixed? I am going to look at getting another one as soon as I can start working again and just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks

Hi, I use to have a gen 1 Desert Tech SRS. I loved that rifle but I regrettably sold it when I got my first AI. The rifle was just as accurate at my two AI’s. I actually loved the trigger and I loved how compact the rifle was. Neve has any issues for the two caliber conversions that I had (308 and 300 win mag). The only thing that I didn’t like was the magazines. When mine was inserted, it would jiggle still and rattle. I was told that was normal by Desert Tech. Never caused any issues. So my question is did this ever get fixed? I am going to look at getting another one as soon as I can start working again and just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks

ive never handled a gen 1, but both my A1 and A2 had good fits with all of my magazines. Never noticed any play.

ive never handled a gen 1, but both my A1 and A2 had good fits with all of my magazines. Never noticed any play.

So your magazines lock up tight? That’s great. I had 4 mags and none of them would. Any real reason to get the A2 over the A1? A1 is still being supported right? Did they day for how long? Seems like some deals to be made on an A1 vs A2. How are the ten round mags? Mine were all 5 round mags. Thanks

Ok well I am hoping to get someone to answer this question as most of you are typically going the other direction. I want to add more weight to my A1 rifle but cannot find any weight sets that fit the side of the hand guard and screw locations. Has anyone gone the route and if so what did you purchase? I might have to just purchase some weights and drill some holes to fit the DT hole pattern?

Last edited:
What profile barrel are you running?
Its 28” long and measures 0.850” at the muzzle and I have an identical one with zero rounds on it waiting until this one takes a shit. I did think about a 1.25” straight contour but did t want to give these two barrels up because they are one of a kind accurate.

Straight contour makes sense as easiest way to add lbs. Otherwise hanging some type of tungsten off the rail would be next best bet.

My gen 1 and a number of them that I've worked on and built barrels for over the last 10 years had no issues with mags rattling. Usually the mags were sticky until you got the skins squared away. All the mags in my current gen 1 seem to fit and lock up fine with no rattle or slop. In the Gen 2 A1 I just got the mags are a little floppy. Should be an easy fix if I cared but I don't. I'm not stalking anything. If you are and its a problem you can put something in the skins to take up space and get rid of the rattle.

Adding weight should be easy. Just buy the pieces that clamp on to the accessory rails and bolt some weights on so you can move them around. I find it simpler to just make the barrels heavier and longer. My 33XC barrel is about 7 or 8 lb I think. 32" long and not a lot of taper so its not light. The 338 Lapua barrel is 30i" and big too. Some of the small cal barrels like the 7.5 Swiss are straight cylinder at 1.043" dia from the front of the clamping surface forward. About the only lightweights are the 17" 338BR barrel made for subsonics which is pretty light and the 12.7 X 48 (510 whisper equivalent) which is also 17" and light. Both use aluminum suppressors to keep the weight down too. Lots of possibilities out there to add weight. The tough thing is taking it off.

Frank

Reactions: chuckp
My gen 1 and a number of them that I've worked on and built barrels for over the last 10 years had no issues with mags rattling. Usually the mags were sticky until you got the skins squared away. All the mags in my current gen 1 seem to fit and lock up fine with no rattle or slop. In the Gen 2 A1 I just got the mags are a little floppy. Should be an easy fix if I cared but I don't. I'm not stalking anything. If you are and its a problem you can put something in the skins to take up space and get rid of the rattle.

Edited out

Frank

Mine was a Gen 1 SRS with the pin barrel alignment. My mags didn’t move from side to side but from front to back. It never caused any problems. But was just an annoying feature of my rifle. Kinda like a dash rattle in your car. I love the platform though and miss it. Based on the opinions here it seems like a non issue now. Thanks for the insight though

Quick question for you guys. I ordered a A2 chassis and they are taking forever, it just got pushed back 2 more weeks last week. They told me the earthquake impacted them. Anyone else experiencing this?
I am in a similar boat- my dealer told me they are having major delays. On top of this, they are no longer selling the A2 chassis or rifles without the monopod.. which automatically adds 350$ to the cost of whatever you purchase. Pretty annoying IMO.. monopods are useless to me and (likely due to lack of sales) they are raising my cost 350$ for something I will never use and has zero resale value. I will let you know when I get an exact ETA for my A2.

Quick question for you guys. I ordered a A2 chassis and they are taking forever, it just got pushed back 2 more weeks last week. They told me the earthquake impacted them. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ah the ol “2 more weeks”...Assuming you mean DT yes the earthquake in UT shut them down and then the virus shit hit right after. Been waiting on a few things from them myself. Pretty sure at least one of our DT dealers here has one in stock?

I am in a similar boat- my dealer told me they are having major delays. On top of this, they are no longer selling the A2 chassis or rifles without the monopod.. which automatically adds 350$ to the cost of whatever you purchase. Pretty annoying IMO.. monopods are useless to me and (likely due to lack of sales) they are raising my cost 350$ for something I will never use and has zero resale value. I will let you know when I get an exact ETA for my A2.
Ah the ol “2 more weeks”...Assuming you mean DT yes the earthquake in UT shut them down and then the virus shit hit right after. Been waiting on a few things from them myself. Pretty sure at least one of our DT dealers here has one in stock?

Special Purpose Rifles has quite a few chassis in stock. Wonder if they’ll match Eurooptic..

Anyone needing a barrel DMR is really quick right now. I ordered a 6.5 CM barrel and it was ready to ship in a week, and that was with waiting on DT to ship him extensions. HH blank at 22.5”.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Just ordered my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from ES Tactical. Now all I need is the bolt and a mag and it will be complete!

Has anyone ever seen or made a bag rider for the SRS? When shooting my 37xc barrel in the ELR style of static prone, I feel like it could use one.
I’ve had other rifles with riders and they can be pretty sweet and make a positive difference

Jealous ? happy for you, man! My ES barrel is in my cart staring at me... like “what’re you gonna do?”

Hope you got a chassis before the monopod “upgrade” ?

I got my chassis from Fred at Bison last Black Friday. I installed the monopod, as I’m not hiking huge distances when I hunt.

What caliber and twist are you looking at? I got a 6.5 CM finished at 19 inches in a 1/7 twist, spiral fluted, medium Palma contour, 2.5 inch extended shank and cut to fit my Q Thunder Chicken.

My barrel sat in my cart for a couple of months while I saved up. The stimulus helped. Go get yours. The guys at ES called me within an hour of me placing my order, and confirmed all my details. So far I am very impressed with their customer service.

Yes. It took mine months. I finally cancelled and ordered through special purpose rifles who were a joy to deal with.
This is not a dig on the rifle itself, which is amazing.

So, delays in getting it aside, I love the rifle.

Topped with a more budget friendly Athlon Ares ETR, which I had already tracking-tested.
Haven't shot at more than 200yds in 8 years. Reviewed data and did some dry fire in advance.

Took it out today for the first time.

Thunder Valley Precision, Ohio.

Boresight.
Confirm 0.
Set zero-stop.
Ranged targets, confirmed wind with kestrel, make ballistic table.
50*F. Wind from 6 o'clock.

6.5 Creedmoor was consistently low. Didn't chrono it, but, data confirms a bit slower. Went through 50 rounds from 200 to 1000 without any hiccups. Good consistency (better than I can).

The real *magic* moment though.

Put in the .338 LM conversion. Leave scope as is.
Ranged targets, confirmed wind with kestrel, make ballistic table (Habit)

Never fired a round of this before, here goes nothing!

Go for 300 yard plate. Lateral good. Elevation 0.3 low; dial correction into calculator for caliber swap off-set.
2nd shot dead center. OK. On track.

3rd shot at 600 yards; dead center.

Let's play like they do in the Trasol video!

4th shot at 1000 yds.
IPSC below the #10 F-Class target.
Go for head; why not!
.1 high and right; just off the IPSC left ear.
Hold left for wind.

5th shot clean headshot at 1000.

So, yeah; I'm a hack of a marksman, but this platform definitely allowed me to take some basic dope, add environmental, and engage targets.

Fuck I love this rifle.