• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Gen 1 actually. This was from the first run of rifles in late 2008. When the Covert handguard became available in 2011-ish I upgraded.

I forgot how ominous that .510 Whisper barrel is up close.

Gen 1 actually. This was from the first run of rifles in late 2008. When the Covert handguard became available in 2011-ish I upgraded.

I forgot how ominous that .510 Whisper barrel is up close.
Gotta be one of only a few out there in that configuration. When the Covert came out it was a gen 2 chassis which would explain the Gen 2 Covert hand guard on the Gen 1 Chassis.

Yup. This uses the old RevA barrel extension. Initially I would swap the handguards, but it was such a pain and not worth the effort, so it stayed this way. That was less than ideal when running long 36” barrels too, so that’s why I have an M2 now. This Old One is a dedicated shorty now.

Edit: back to your original point about scope length: this rifle has a 5-20x Ultra Short now specifically because I have clip-ons now.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRDRIVER
IMG_0071.jpeg

“Especially magnums…”

Reactions: 232593
Still rocking mine. I was going to sell it when I bought my MRAD. But didn’t. I think I’m going to get a 300prc barrel for it. Then I have 6.5 creed, 308, and 300prc.

Attachments

• IMG_5183.jpeg
    IMG_5183.jpeg
    822.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: PRDRIVER
Still rocking mine. I was going to sell it when I bought my MRAD. But didn’t. I think I’m going to get a 300prc barrel for it. Then I have 6.5 creed, 308, and 300prc.
I know where some .300 PRC barrels are in stock. ;)

.223, 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, .308, .300 WM, 300 PRC, 300 Norma, and 338 Lapua.

Attachments

• Proof SRS Barrels IMG_2470 copy.jpg
    Proof SRS Barrels IMG_2470 copy.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 66
JFC clearly you've got carbon sequestration technology.
A sore spot for us the past few years has been getting barrels turned in a timely manner. We have changed things up the past few months and are trying to keep the most popular options on the shelf to hopefully avoid wait times to get barrels spun up.

Are the .223 bbls compatible with the SAC bolt head? Just wondering since I already have a SAC bolt.....
The .223 barrel we have spun up was made with a SAC kit, so your bolt assembly should match up just fine.

Hi all, need some advice on DT-SRS have in 338 LPM, have just purchased 2 additional barrels - 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC, what is the best way to keep track of your Scope 0 on 3 different barrels ?

Hi all, need some advice on DT-SRS have in 338 LPM, have just purchased 2 additional barrels - 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC, what is the best way to keep track of your Scope 0 on 3 different barrels ?
I have two ways. I keep a Borka torque kit in my war bag and I keep a few index cards with all my different offsets written down. The second way of keeping zeroes managed is with a Kestrel. I keep each barrel listed as a separate rifle, and if I use a different bullet/load, I keep that listed as a separate rifle (my 25 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 25 PRC barrels each have at least 3 different combinations, so each combo goes in under its own name) and then I can set the offset under zero height and whatever the Kestrel zero windage offset is called. I prefer to zero my scope to whichever load impacts lowest on the target, so then all my zero height offsets are positive, meaning I just had to add whatever extra clicks I needed in elevation, but that isn't as important as it used to be now that Kestrel allows negative height offsets

Edit for a typo

Last edited:
@prashants17 The zero offsets are repeatable, so you just note them in a log book and adjust the turrets as needed. A lot of ballistic calculators can handle initial offsets now too, so it can be totally transparent to the shooter.

What I've done in the past is zero my turrets to the most common short action barrel I'm shooting. Over the dozen plus barrels I've used across two chassis, the common trend seems to be offsets between short action barrels is generally +/- 0.5 mil in either axis. But with magnums, it tends to be more like + 1.5 mil. So when I set my turrets to say a 6.5x47L barrel, then move to a .338LM, for example, I just add 1.2 mils of elevation and say 0.8 mils of Left windage. If it was the other way around, I'd have to dial -1.2 elevation, which most scopes can't handle.

I have two ways. I keep a Borka torque kit in my war bag and I keep a few index cards with all my different offsets written down. The second way of keeping zeroes managed is with a Kestrel. I keep each barrel listed as a separate rifle, and if I use a different bullet/load, I keep that listed as a separate rifle (my 25 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 25 PRC barrels each have at least 3 different combinations, so each combo goes in under its own name) and then I can set the offset under zero height and whatever the Kestrel zero windage offset is called. I prefer to zero my scope to whichever load impacts lowest on the target, so then all my zero height offsets are positive, meaning I just had to add whatever extra clicks I needed in elevation, but that isn't as important as it used to be now that Kestrel allows negative height offsets

Edit for a typo
This. Only difference for me is I use my most common Caliber as my true "zero" and everything else is just a change off that. Trasol, Kestrel, etc all allow for it. Then, most commonly, I use a laminated paper range card attached to the sling. For Hunting vs. Competition, my margins are a bit wider and distances closer, so it's more time-sensitive than accuracy sensitive. I have 5 and 10 MPH wind calls on that card. Nice to have someone (anyone) spit out a range (within about 500yds), and have that marked on my card, guesstimate the wind, and *thud goes the moose.*. If you use Trasol, input your zero offset, it all automatically corrects. I just make a range card from 200-800 in 50yd increments. Close enough.

I use “the one that counts” (338LM) as the zero reference, cuz the consequences of a miss are greater.

308 is for steel/practice and 223 for steel/varmints.

Before a (long range) hunting trip, I drop in the 338, zero on paper, and change the zero on the TT5-25 if needed. If that changes the 223/308 offsets a click either way, no big deal.

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpeg
    IMG_4435.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4436.jpeg
    IMG_4436.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I agree except how about 416..
It has some small but significant advantages over 375 w 400 class bullets, but large drawbacks that always make me avert my gaze. Among them:

CCI35 primers suck bad and RWS are harder than hell to get (& $1 each now)
only 1 source of good brass (RWS/BARRETT)
50 BMG sized presa/equipment a significant investment
Custom dies
Recoil
suppressing it requires stepping up to a 50-cal class can (that may be changing)

Even though I already have all the 50 BMG stuff and 2000 RWS primers, I just can’t justify it as a 3rd caliber (b/t 375 & 50) or a “do everything” caliber across that range.

For all but the most dedicated shooters/competitors, 375 is the clear choice. If he wants bigger just for the sake of bigger/bragging rights, the average guy would probably be wise to just go 50 BMG bc of component & factory ammo availability/cost alone. It is after all the ultimate ”plinking for smiles“ caliber, w factory 660 grain ammo under $4 a pop.

I've been told by more than a few customers that they would like to see an M2 Covert. Who here has interest in an M2 Covert or the ability to have a Covert with a full length top rail with elevation built into it like the M2?
I’d be all over that but honestly my A1 covert and SRS keep me satisfied I doubt I sell mine to buy new

Nice seeing desert tech isn’t letting the design stagnate

C90393F3-7C2A-482A-84FB-A1D14A4D2B34.jpeg

Edit
Would be nice to have a longer top rail fir covert to run shorter barrels and still be able to run clip ons Vudu 5-25 is about the only usable scope without running a rail extender

A580300F-E0A1-4751-A42A-8D98F218A26A.jpeg

Pic before I switched to nx8 2.5-20 which is about an inch or so longer than the Vudu pictured

Had the new .416 out for zero work today... Barrett .452 ammo out of the HTI was 2966 avg. for 10 rounds... Recoil is somber compared to the 50 BMG... I can get to 700 yds on this property which was easy pickins for this setup.. Fun day with friends.. Some sore shoulder for the fellas that took turn on the 50... ;-)

Jury is still out on my thoughts on the ZCO-840... Time will tell...

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

I don’t personally see the draw to it as far as spending money in the aftermarket to achieve it. I wouldn’t. There is no room for inline NV or thermals with the covert length hand guard. That being said, should all the DT models have a continuous canted rail and be arca compatible from the factory. You betcha.
Au contraire

84B99D4A-6E0D-4985-A683-1AD2CEB48D9E.jpeg

The ZCO isn’t an instant winner? I keep hearing mixed feelings. Glad I stuck with my tangent theta. And the Zeiss LRP is superb on the HTI also.

Reactions: HTI-416
@bmicek proved me wrong a few posts back. With the right scope a man can have a short sweet setup. I’ll have one just like you guys soon enough. Makes that canted full length covert rail a bit more enticing for the days I would stretch it out with just a day scope.

They run all the spacers for one. I don’t do that myself and by your photo, you don’t either. Thats at least an inch or better right there. I have no idea on the other inch or so back.
It's a short rifle, that's one of the major advantages of the SRS.
I can see how running all the spacers would probably help with the bulpup bolt operation, but I like to keep the rear short and add barrel inches for velocity. My scope sits quite far forward too, it just works for me. If I ever find a clip-on for my SRS I still have some rail left, and I can make an extended mount if needed.

Reactions: secondofangle2
I found the ZCO 8-40 ( had 2 of them) to be a very "average" optic.. It looses clarity drastically ( VERY soft) after 30x and is very dark at the higher powers. parallax is also very very finicky!!
You are right about the parallax, when it’s good you better stop tuning… I wouldn’t disagree with you “average” assessment.. One of the guys shooting with us today had a 12 power Leupold and i found it superior too my 840 in clarity… Again time will tell, but my first impressions aren’t great…

You are right about the parallax, when it’s good you better stop tuning… I wouldn’t disagree with you “average” assessment.. One of the guys shooting with us today had a 12 power Leupold and i found it superior too my 840 in clarity… Again time will tell, but my first impressions aren’t great…
Have a look through the S&B 6-36... much much better optic!!! :)

You are right about the parallax, when it’s good you better stop tuning… I wouldn’t disagree with you “average” assessment.. One of the guys shooting with us today had a 12 power Leupold and i found it superior too my 840 in clarity… Again time will mf bc tell, but my first impressions aren’t great…
Have you used other ZCO ? My 420s and 527s have been great.

Minox are also great scopes. Very under rated

Reactions: M77 and PRDRIVER
They run all the spacers for one. I don’t do that myself and by your photo, you don’t either. Thats at least an inch or better right there. I have no idea on the other inch or so back.
I run zero spacers but I’m a small statured guy so that’s how I can make it work with a scope that far back and a clip on

Have you used other ZCO ? My 420s and 527s have been great.

Minox are also great scopes. Very under rated
There is such a thing as too much power.

got behind the much heralded NF 7-35 this week and found it to be a bit much. I thought it was a 5-25 and my buddy asked “do you do 100 yard work at high power?” And I’m like yeah. Then I got behind it and could see my heartbeat and thought WTF?
Later I saw it was a 7-35 and I understood. 25x is enough for this farsighted middle aged guy

Reactions: BurtG
Some lighthearted stuff: the SRS slayed countless whistlepigs in Ohio this past week. The only one we retrieved took a nasty face shot at close range, and didn’t take one step after that LOL

Attachments

• IMG_4410.jpeg
    IMG_4410.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4424.jpeg
    IMG_4424.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4432.jpeg
    IMG_4432.jpeg
    821.7 KB · Views: 93