• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Anyone switching matched optic with caliber change? Was thinking of going with some QD mounts and an optic for each cabler. Normally shooting 338 and 260 on the DTA and tired of the big re-zero I have to do each change.

Yup, I run an ADM mount with a Premier LT 3-15 with a sporter contour 22-243 barrel in mine. I swap out when it's time to go slay coyotes. No need to use any other mount than the DTA mounts if you don't care about weight. They repeat zero just as good as any high end QD mount. I went with the ADM so I could save on as much weight as possible.

It might just be a quirk with me but I had a heck of a time getting enough scope height using all kinds of different rings. finally went with the highest DT had to offer..

Marine Corp
Colonial Shooting Academy

Anyone switching matched optic with caliber change? Was thinking of going with some QD mounts and an optic for each cabler. Normally shooting 338 and 260 on the DTA and tired of the big re-zero I have to do each change.
I just use the new DTA mount. Love it. I just use my torque wrench when I take it off and on for other rifles I have. Doing the re-recorded Sucks but I have it all written down so it makes it super easy for me to use.

Yup, I run an ADM mount with a Premier LT 3-15 with a sporter contour 22-243 barrel in mine. I swap out when it's time to go slay coyotes. No need to use any other mount than the DTA mounts if you don't care about weight. They repeat zero just as good as any high end QD mount. I went with the ADM so I could save on as much weight as possible.

So your running more than one optic on the same chassis? Just to clarify.

You're not just logging the offsets?

So your running more than one optic on the same chassis? Just to clarify.
Correct.

I go from this:

IMG_7744.jpg

To this:
IMG_7807.jpg

Ok I know everyone wants a 10 rnd mag but does anyone here want a single feed adapter? I am in the process of building one for myself

A single feed would be nice. But with a little practice it's not hard to throw one in there.

I wish they would make a 10 rounder for the short action and cut the back off where it's got the spacer and empty space so you have plenty of room for you hand.

Does anyone know if .308 will feed out of the long action magazines? I need more internal magazine length to seat the bullets out farther. Either that or try to find another bullet to load test.

Can someone post up the o.a.l internal length of the 338lm and 300wm magazines.
( how long can you load to )

Touching the lands with the 185gr Juggernauts 2.985" OAL and the Berger 175gr VLD 2.950" OAL. My magazine can reliable feed out to 2.900" so I'm just shy of them working in mine. DTA states that the short action magazine has a internal length of 3" and Orkan says the new mags are much more consistent than the originals. I just hate to order another short action magazine and it still not work for me.

Last edited:
The 308 mags measure 2.945 from the block to the front weld. Some of the welds have a bit more booger on them than others, some a little less. Obviously this dimension will vary a little bit from mag to mag, as the block is welded in place as well, and it's position can vary a tiny bit. If I were to call a total measurement of what is going to always work, from base to bullet tip it would be 2.900" or just a touch over. If DTA stamped out the magazines as one piece instead of halves, and then bent them, and only welded at the back... this could be alleviated. I'll mention it to them next time we talk. I'm betting there is a reason they are like they are though.

The 338 mags are 4" inside. Again, they vary as much as .010" or so among them.

I wouldn't suggest trying to use the larger mags for 308. They "can" feed, but it's not reliable. If a guy would pinch the feed lips together a bit, it's "possible" that they would work well given the correct modifications... but its not very likely that it will work as well as the 308 mags.

Thanks for the order Boone!

Thanks Greg for getting those measurements for us! I may try to get my hands on some of the 185gr Hybrids or 175gr Lapua Scenar to try. With the tangent ogive I may be able to seat them to mag length and still be close to the lands. I'm just chasing the ever elusive bughole! To be honest most the fun is in the load testing.

Does anyone know if .308 will feed out of the long action magazines? I need more internal magazine length to seat the bullets out farther. Either that or try to find another bullet to load test.

I just took one of mine apart to see how easy it would be to make a 10rd mag. Looking at the baffle wall that make the .308 mags shorter inside. You could cut the tacks with a dremmel tool and move it back and re tack it if you have access to a welder.

I just took one of mine apart to see how easy it would be to make a 10rd mag. Looking at the baffle wall that make the .308 mags shorter inside. You could cut the tacks with a dremmel tool and move it back and re tack it if you have access to a welder.

I also thought about that when I had my magazine apart cleaning up the seam weld in the front of the mag. Now just debating on whether or not to do it! If I move the spacer back I'll just have to shorten the bolt stop the same amount, or not use it at all.

I talked to one of the guys running a welded 10 rounder today. I was worried about what spring to use and he said the used the factory and just stretched it. Said they hold 9 creeds and 10 x47s.

I talked to one of the guys running a welded 10 rounder today. I was worried about what spring to use and he said the used the factory and just stretched it. Said they hold 9 creeds and 10 x47s.
Got pics?? That'd be interesting to see up close!!

Customer Service Improvements

Nick and the gang at DT have really improved their customer service lately. In the last 1-2 months, I have called in for parts, advise, and technical questions. The staff was very good about answering the phone, returning calls, and following up with email, when necessary. It's great to see, and I will be ordering more stuff because of it.

The help and advise I got was very helpful. Great job... The improvements are noticed and appreciated. ;)

OK Guys Weird question..... Anyone out there have a custom SRS in either a 6.5X55 or 7.5 Swiss? If so what bolt & mag did you use? Or is this not even possible? I've just been pondering the idea seeing I have a K31 that shoots great but I cannot bring myself to scope it and really enjoy the caliber.

OK Guys Weird question..... Anyone out there have a custom SRS in either a 6.5X55 or 7.5 Swiss? If so what bolt & mag did you use? Or is this not even possible? I've just been pondering the idea seeing I have a K31 that shoots great but I cannot bring myself to scope it and really enjoy the caliber.

I know the 6.5x55 has a base of .480 so it may fit using the regular bolt, however since it is a long action cartridge I would probably use the large magazines and just not use the bolt stop that you would normally use for short action cartridges. As for getting a barrel made there are several people you could call to get it done for you. All you need is a barrel extension and off you go.

Anyone running specwar with your SRS covert? how do you like it and any significant POI shift? Are you using an adapter to go from 3/4-24 to 5/8-24 or did you have the barrel re-threaded? I'm about the pull the trigger on a specwar please let me know if I'm making a mistake.

If you are planning on getting some additional barrels, you might want to consider a 338-rated can such as the DTA DTSS. You can run it on all your sub-caliber stuff... and then you'll have one can for all your barrels.

6.5 Swede would definitely be a fun round in a DTA. I never tried to put one in a mag to see how it would feed???

Short answer is..... you don't. I was lucky enough to hold one of the PSR rifles hostage until Nick let loose of it. It was a requirement for them to have the full rail tapered rather than having a sloped base.

It's not an option and I am sure that it won't be an option in the future.

I hate to bother asking when there is so much finality to your statement, but I must. Why is it that the rails with cant machined into them will not be offered? Surely it can not cost much more to produce and someone already programmed the CNC mill to make them.

Sorry Russ if you already answered this but I am only about halfway through reading this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vYBANBHmKk

Check the comments on that video there fellas. Seems some of our friends from Austrailia don't like the DTA design. Better still, they don't think they even need to have touched a DTA to determine this. ;)

I know some of our Aussie brothers happen to think otherwise! :)

The comments ended with him blocked, and telling me "I'm gonna tell Nick!" Go ahead "ace," I'm sure Nick will love to hear how someone that's never touched his rifles thinks its a "compromised" design based on watching a video from 2 years ago, of a rifle not indicative of his current design. ;)

Last edited:
I think the video is fine. :)

In regards to the tapered once piece rail question it give the user much more flexibility to run a flat rail with tapered ring sets, I run one of the PSR prototypes like Russ and I hate the 30 MOA rail because when changing optics out for testing most times scopes have too little adjustment or too much. I like having the taper transfer with the scope when we swap them between guns so no matter where you stick it (as long as its flat top) then it will be optimized. Of course I prefer to run 40 moa bases with most my scopes, so my k624i with the 30 moa rail maxes out at 1600 yards for my 338LM and I have to do holdovers beyond that. Not terrible but I prefer to dial out as far as possible.

Last edited: