• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Any plans to head to Central Texas this weekend with it in your trunk?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Doc, my SRS will be here Friday....PM me if your looking for a AWSM 338LM....:) </div></div>Thanks, but I am looking at a 308 and/or a 300WM, if I do not get the DTA (still researching).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">app. 30 days </div></div>

Congrats Doc </div></div>Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not buy one yet - just priced one out. I am still researching this - and actually leaning another direction at present. </div></div>

Yeah I saw that Doc and deleted my post..jumped the gun a bit before reading up a little!!!

I took my .338 SRS out to the desert earlier this week for some long range shooting.

SRS_1250_01.jpg

One thing I noticed this time around that I'd never seen before was groups opening up after about 50 rounds. I was consistently hitting steel beyond a thousand yards, but then I started hitting all around the targets. After burning a few too many rounds I broke down the rifle and gave it a good cleaning for carbon and copper fouling. After that the rifle shot like a champ.

Here's video of hitting 10x17" LV Steel targets at 1250 yards...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPh5Bor15Bs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one else have a bad experience with the GG&G bipod? </div></div>

too flaccid-the newer released Bobro might be better from what I've read, he addressed a lot of the user feedback from his GG&G design.

Dogtown, you shot 50 rnds of 338LM? damn I start adding it up after 10 or 15 and call it a day.. How many rounds had been fired since your previous cleaning? Just for my own references? Great video btw.

-when you gonna sell me that bipod??

Myself and my two buddies took turns drilling steel at different ranges throughout the day, so 50 rounds wasn't a big deal. The rifle had about 30 rounds through it prior to shooting it this day without cleaning and the first 30 of the day seemed pretty good until it started to open up a bit. I've never had that happen before with any rifle other than shooting the Jamison/LRBT solids through my .408 - so this was a bit of a surprise. But honestly, I need further testing to confirm that it was indeed fouling vs something else.

Call Lloyd at RND and order a bipod - I'm keeping this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Myself and my two buddies took turns drilling steel at different ranges throughout the day, so 50 rounds wasn't a big deal. The rifle had about 30 rounds through it prior to shooting it this day without cleaning and the first 30 of the day seemed pretty good until it started to open up a bit. I've never had that happen before with any rifle other than shooting the Jamison/LRBT solids through my .408 - so this was a bit of a surprise. But honestly, I need further testing to confirm that it was indeed fouling vs something else.

Call Lloyd at RND and order a bipod - I'm keeping this rifle. </div></div>

Could of just been some carbon leting go at the muzzle. When I shoot my lapua with r25 I clean off the muzzle every 50 rounds or so.

Great shooting. I wish I had that much space to air out my SRS.

What kind of ammo were you using? Handloads? Care to share the recipe? It looked like you had a little sticky bolt lift. Are they pretty hot loads?

The load is based on 94gr of RL25 pushing the 250 Scenar @ 2900fps. It's not a particularly hot load and below the point where pressure signs start. However, the sticky bolt lift was from the brass being neck sized in the last batch. It was a minor thing and while with other rifles I tend to neck size twice before FL sizing, with the SRS I tend to neck size once if at all.

CK, good point on the RL25 and muzzle - I need to keep an eye on that!

Anyone have any experience with DTA customer service? Particularly interested with the warranty department.

One thing I must admit to raising an eyebrow is the term of the warrenty. 3 years. Frankly I have never needed to use a warrenty on any of my firearms but... its nice to know its there.

Well here are a few more pics of this weekends range day lol.

Nick (owner of DTA), setting up.
Nick-338.jpg

My SRS setup in .338 lapua
SRS-338.jpg

Nick's Suppressed .338. AWC Thundertrap suppressor.
Suppressed338.jpg

I had a couple different muzzle brakes I was messing with to include the DTA .338LM brake, OpsInc .338LM brake and OpsInc .308 brake.
Barrels.jpg

The Lineup. Nicks Suppressed SRS with .338 barrel and larger can was still shorter than Russ' conventional 22" with 308 can.
Lineup2.jpg

Nicks rifle with the 308 barrel and 338 can. Worked perfectly.
308Suppressed.jpg

Business end of mine .338 Lapua (Yes I know the brake is canted lol)
Business.jpg

Pic of down range. 100, 490, 980, 1580 yards. you can see 3000+ in the distance.
Range.jpg

One oddball in the group. Looked Like a Mormon Assault team rollin through....
Parking.jpg

I will have video of a right handed shooter (me lol) shooting the SRS left handed to show the bolt cycling in regards to head movement. Also have video so you can hear the shot with suppressor on each caliber.

Thanks

Damn nice pictures of what I am sure was a great day at the range. Can't wait to see the vids.

Out of curiosity, what brakes were you messing with? Any thoughts/ideas on different brakes for the SRS?

Great pics! Can't wait to see the video of the .338. AWC Thundertrap suppressor in action on that baby.

Nice...I just ordered your setup with the S&B scope. Supposed to be here in a couple of weeks. Also plan to chamber in 7mm.

Brakes were as follows:

DTA .338LM I like this brake alot. It is a little louder than the OpsInc .338LM but it is way easier to follow thru and spot your own hits.

OpsInc .338LM This brake is slightly quieter than the DTA brake but I would rather deal with noise and be able to remain on target and spot my own hits.

OpsInc .308 I really had nothing to compare this one to that day being my other .308 barrel is not braked.

Left Handed Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A2O565kBkQ

Thanks

I need to stop reading threads like this.

Just saw the video, must have been embarassing to miss so many times in a row
grin.gif
I'm gonna try and film a right eye cheek weld, left handed bolt manipulation this week, see how fast I can get it moving. - looking good fellas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one else have a bad experience with the GG&G bipod? </div></div>

The pictures I posted were of the XD Bipod by GG&G. They also make a standard duty one as well. There is quite a difference between the two.

The re-designed GG&G Extreme Duty Bipod with swiveling capability now offers a greater range than previous versions. In addition to a stronger pivot mechanism, the new folding AR-15 bipod design affords 25 degrees of cant in either direction of center. Not only does this increase better rough terrain adjustability, but this pivoting capability allows the deployed bipod leg to be used as a vertical foregrip if required for rapid transition. In addition, a tension mechanism and adjustment knob has been added so that the operator does not need tools to make tension adjustments to the swivel.

The GG&G Tactical Bipod for the AR15 and M16 is specifically designed and manufactured to meet current military requirements. It is exceptionally rugged. It will not only withstand extreme environmental conditions from -55 degrees Fahrenheit to +155 degrees Fahrenheit, but be operational under those conditions. With the bipod legs deployed it will withstand the military's three foot drop test onto a concrete floor while mounted to an AR15/M16 or M4 carbine and maintain full battle capability.

Manufactured from aircraft grade 6061 T6 aluminum alloy with extreme duty connection points and fasteners, this quick detach swiveling bipod is still remarkably lightweight at only 11.5 oz.

Features include a 7" to 9.5" height adjustment when measured from the dovetail attachment, silent deployment, fully adjustable legs with thumbnut adjustments and grip tight foot pads. All of the AR15 rifle bipod's aluminum parts are bead blasted and Type III hard coat anodized per mil-spec in a non- reflective matte black combat finish. The quick-release bipod is equipped with a MIL-STD-1913 rail adapter that does not require tools for installation. GG&G's gun bipod will also attach to any rifle with a 6 o'clock under barrel MIL-STD-1913 or Weaver type rail.

Which slings do you guys with these already like on it? I'd like to go ahead and pick one up. what's your liking?

A TAB sling is going on mine when I receive it.

Damn Tuscon....and I thought I was bad wanting to Multicam mine
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Tuscon....and I thought I was bad wanting to Multicam mine
smile.gif
</div></div>

Must have been the drinking water when I was a kid.

100% not my style but regionally appropriate, well done and laudably unique!

I just got my SRS back today after having DTA install(retrofit) their monopod on it. It is a really nice installation and a well designed monopod unit. It is quick and simple to operate. Very effective.

I still think it may have been a little expensive ($350+$100 for retrofit) but it seems to complete my rifle platform now (except I need a can and more conversion barrels, etc). Can't wait to try it out at the range.

As promised, rapid bolt manipulation, I've never done it with the DTA but it works just fine, notice the brass is mostly falling under my hand as it works the bolt. Soooo, if you are a left handed shooter, and you can use your right eye, you could really make this rifle sing.
And LC, listen for the pings, they're all there
wink.gif

Guys,
We just got some .338 AWC Titanium Thundertraps instock, I have tested nearly every .338 can made including the QD cans that are getting alot of buzz, we have searched long and hard for a lightweight silencer that was quiet, had minimal impact shift and didn't hinder the weapons accuracy. The Thundertrap fits the bill better than any other silencer, they are the quietest .338 can on the market, have minimal impact shift, and actually enhance the accuracy capabilities of the rifles.

If anyone is interested in one call Ethan 801-975-7272 or email [email protected] , price is $1895.00 we will install the cans at no charge on customers SRS barrels to ensure proper alignment.

Here is the Thundertrap on the 26" 338LM barrel.
Nick-338.jpg

Here is the same can on the 22" 308 win barrel.
308Suppressed.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Addicted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does it do on the 308 barrel? Very interested in this can. </div></div>

Very little sound difference betweeen the .308 and .338,when using the .338 can. Also great after sale service from AWC as well. I'll try to post a video this weekend of what the two sound like.

I want to thank Poundcake8541 for letting me try out his DTA SRS in 338 Lapua and .308.
The rifle was even better than I'd expected. The trigger was great, bolt manipulation was easy and the recoil in .338 was much less than expected. I had an enjoyable afternoon and learned a lot.
I can see one of these in my future.

desert_00011.jpg

I took my .338LM SRS out to about 1750 yards and made some hits on 10x17" LV Steel targets. It was almost five seconds from firing to hearing the hits - 17.1 mils of elevation. I think this is about the limit for the 250 Scenar - wind was a headache.

Good shooting Dogtown, I have gotten out to 1700 once or twice and everything becomes a variable or a limitation that takes alot of patience to overcome, rock on.

Addicted,
When shooting the .338 Thundertrap on the 308 Win it is extremely quite. Much quieter than a friends YHM dedicated .308 silencer. Sounds alot like a paintball gun.