• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ok Pit-meisters... looking for some advice. Traeger vs. Weber?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So for Christmas, Busenhalter-6 got me a new BBQ... but I wanted to wait until Spring to get it. Old Weber, now 15 years old, is pretty much finally on its last legs after a couple of rebuilds. It's time.

My local hardware store carries both Weber and Traeger... and I always support Chris. He sold me my first Weber and it's been fantastic!

But when I talked to him about a new Weber... he was saying I really wanted a Traeger.

Of course, I don't smoke much. Then again... I don't have a smoker.

What say the Pit Bosses who know BBQ here? Weber or Traeger?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Live on the edge, get the Traeger and let know how it works out.

I have a new weber but I know I will need to replace it in 14 years. Will make teh switch then.

Traeger is easy. For the holidays I put the turkey in the night before with the Traeger set to smoke and a light timer on the power. When I get up at 5 it has been smoking for several hours. You get to set and go about your day. I do miss the deep smoke rings from lump charcoal smoking. Traeger makes great bbq, isn’t “traditional”.

Weber and Slow 'N Sear:

Also, look at Pit Barrel Cooker:

Reactions: MarinePMI
Ive had my traeger for 3 years and absolutely love it. Use it multiple times a week.

Geno and Larry talked me into this one.

Screenshot_20190407-185925_Chrome.jpg

I'm very happy with it.
Ordered it via phone on a Monday and would have received it Thursday but I didn't answer the phone. Got it on Friday and used it that Sunday.
Let's just say I'm very happy with it. Their CS is great too.

Reactions: 1J04 and diverdon
Some great ideas there. What gets me, is that there isn't much 'sheet-metal' there at all, but sure is a lot of cost.

Alas, I cannot say anything to either one of your options SirHR, as we don't have the luxury of such heirlooms. We've a propane grill that I'm pieced together out of 3 other ones, as well as a Weber kettle that I've salvaged. Each does what they're designed to do.

And I've got a smoker here that is simply that and nothing else. It smokes. But it does so on a grand scale. Those peppers that I just put up in that other thread, didn't take up 1/4 of it's capacity.

Lastly, to bring this around full-circle, I did start a thread not too long ago regarding the building of one's own "pit" and asked for suggestions therein. Much along the lines of 'all-season tires', I don't want something that does everything 'half-assed'... I want to build myself something that does EACH thing VERY WELL indeed.

Hence why I have some rather unique ideas and goals. Good luck with your quest. Seriously.

The creation of good, enjoyable food is never a bad thing.

Ban tofu.

Reactions: Barneybdb and lash
I've had my Weber for 14 yrs. and was perfectly happy with it until my nephew got a Traeger. When the time comes, I will definitely go with the Traeger.

So for Christmas, Busenhalter-6 got me a new BBQ... but I wanted to wait until Spring to get it. Old Weber, now 15 years old, is pretty much finally on its last legs after a couple of rebuilds. It's time.

My local hardware store carries both Weber and Traeger... and I always support Chris. He sold me my first Weber and it's been fantastic!

But when I talked to him about a new Weber... he was saying I really wanted a Traeger.

Of course, I don't smoke much. Then again... I don't have a smoker.

What say the Pit Bosses who know BBQ here? Weber or Traeger?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Years ago Trager was built in the US. Now mostly imported from China garbage. My brother had one where the feed mechanism for the pellets jammed (stripped gear) while in a cook. Not the kind of thing you are supposed to have to deal with (at that price point) when you are expecting guests, and planing to serve ribs.

Likely the reason he wants to sell you the Trager is because he counting on the ongoing sales of the pellets, which will cost you about a dollar an hour for summer cooks and more in the winter. The method is good but the price is too high for China crap.

I like the run and gun speed of a gas bbq for a quick lunches or dinners. We don't have events so efficiency first..... as long as it will properly sear fillets I'm GTG.

My Weber is plumbed into our NG service and never running out of fuel or storing backup is nice.

I know some that have a good gas bbq and a Traeger, and some supplement with a Big Green Egg or similar.

That said I haven't heard many negatives from people who own a Traeger or similar style. I've also seen some better manufactured knock-offs I'd seriously consider if in the market.

Can't help you much on the Traeger vs Weber, but for me, true BBQ is done on a stick burner with offset firebox. Mine is a Pitmaker Long Rifle Sniper (yes, that's really it's name). I love sitting by the fire, feeding it logs now and again. And, I can get a shit ton of meat on it, probably 10 briskets and 20 pork butts, or 50 racks or ribs and chicken

You need both.

I’ve got a 21” Webber and the large traeger. Depends on the cooking style you want. The traeger is fire and forget where the Webber takes some talent to perfect but the end result is pure gold. For what it’s worth, I bbq about 5 nights a week.

also look into Yoder. I had a offset that was just built like a tank and loved it. I got tired of adding fuel in middle of night, so I went pellet. Got a 680 comp and built really well compared to less expensive brands. Love this thing

I would second what some have recommended above in terms of the Rectec and Yoder. While I’ve enjoyed my traeger - I have a few buddies with both Rectec’s and yoders and they seem to be of better build quality. Also tend to have less heat fluctuations.

Some great ideas there. What gets me, is that there isn't much 'sheet-metal' there at all, but sure is a lot of cost.

Alas, I cannot say anything to either one of your options SirHR, as we don't have the luxury of such heirlooms. We've a propane grill that I'm pieced together out of 3 other ones, as well as a Weber kettle that I've salvaged. Each does what they're designed to do.

And I've got a smoker here that is simply that and nothing else. It smokes. But it does so on a grand scale. Those peppers that I just put up in that other thread, didn't take up 1/4 of it's capacity.

Lastly, to bring this around full-circle, I did start a thread not too long ago regarding the building of one's own "pit" and asked for suggestions therein. Much along the lines of 'all-season tires', I don't want something that does everything 'half-assed'... I want to build myself something that does EACH thing VERY WELL indeed.

Hence why I have some rather unique ideas and goals. Good luck with your quest. Seriously.

The creation of good, enjoyable food is never a bad thing.

Ban tofu.

I understand the 'home-made' thing... I have a pig cooker that I use a couple of times a year. But it's too big for a burger/steak on an average night.

And I want to buy local, so it's going to be either another Weber (which is the best BBQ I ever owned) or I'll take a swing at the Traeger. But it's gotta be a hell of a sales pitch to get me to switch.

Besides, if I am 'smoking' (which I never do) I use the Pig cooker. I cook everything Pittsburgh rare. In other words... what I don't eat I ride home.

But I know there are guys here who have experience with both, so want an opinion from some BTDT guys!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Can't help you much on the Traeger vs Weber, but for me, true BBQ is done on a stick burner with offset firebox. Mine is a Pitmaker Long Rifle Sniper (yes, that's really it's name). I love sitting by the fire, feeding it logs now and again. And, I can get a shit ton of meat on it, probably 10 briskets and 20 pork butts, or 50 racks or ribs and chicken
View attachment 7057050View attachment 7057051View attachment 7057052View attachment 7057053View attachment 7057054View attachment 7057055View attachment 7057056View attachment 7057057View attachment 7057058View attachment 7057059
I never gave a minutes thought to attending the Hide get-to-gether at Tuckers house, but should you decide to host I am In.

We live on the Mexican border & it’s too damn hot to cook in the house now til at least late October. We have a Weber charcoal smoker & separate gas grill. The gas grill is a gas grill & is what it is. I’m not a fan of gas grills but we’re often times short on time during the summer months w/ work & our baseball schedule.

It’s a matter of convenience w/ the grill. Most nights in the summer I don’t eat chow til 2100 hrs. My wife wanted to go w/ an electric smoker & I absolutely refused to negotiate on this item.

Sihrh, w/ your welding / building skills, why don’t you build a wood smoker?

Attachments

• 3F971737-88DE-4520-8A9C-4EDE79633359.jpeg
    3F971737-88DE-4520-8A9C-4EDE79633359.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 0B7DD9EE-32D4-405E-9AB3-83CF82EF7F6F.jpeg
    0B7DD9EE-32D4-405E-9AB3-83CF82EF7F6F.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 3A91C579-DA5C-4400-B75C-59B6FA19B807.jpeg
    3A91C579-DA5C-4400-B75C-59B6FA19B807.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 4DCA27E6-5A8B-4B5B-A32D-623481011D16.jpeg
    4DCA27E6-5A8B-4B5B-A32D-623481011D16.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 33B92AE1-D319-45F4-9DD0-208B8D3D75CB.jpeg
    33B92AE1-D319-45F4-9DD0-208B8D3D75CB.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 137
I have a Big Green Egg and a 22”Weber kettle. I use a slow n sear in the Weber. For grilling I use either, for smoking mostly use the egg but I also use a Cyber Q blower on both for smoking. I won’t buy pellets the glue that binds them just doesn’t sound tasty.

I’ll second the Big Green Egg. One of my buddy’s has one & it gets used about 6 nights a week. He’s had it probably better than ten years & it just keeps on rocking. They’re kind of pricey but well worth the investment. You can’t go wrong w/ the Egg.

Yes WaterWalker, that there last pit with the Pizza/Bread Oven over a fireplace with a smoke-pit (w/ windlass?) on the side..... WOW.

Get the Traeger for BBQ and Weber kettle for grilling. You will love the ease of use and the ability to multitask while cooking with the Traeger.

Reactions: Dewey7271
Yes WaterWalker, that there last pit with the Pizza/Bread Oven over a fireplace with a smoke-pit (w/ windlass?) on the side..... WOW.

*Those pics were from a google search, not my home.

We’re not city people but we bought a house in the city because my wife is terrified of rattlesnakes. After the last two years of living in the city, she’s itching to get back out in the country.

In the next few years we’ll probably build one more house. I’ve only got one more move left in me & I definitely plan to build a large outdoor grill / kitchen area.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I’m in Del Rio, TX. It’s not bad over here. Del Rio is a pretty nice place. The crime is nothing like the valley or the Tucson / Phoenix areas. Del Rio is nothing El Paso either. It’s hot here, but not hit like the Middle East. Humidity will kick your ass at times, but I have very few complaints.

Crime is also a less than you’d expect in a border city.

The trager has some maintenance issues....

If you live where the humidity is high, you need to remove all pellets when you are done with the grill.

The pellets will get wet, expand, rust the auger and fall apart to dust should you try to cook with them.

The trager is a great system. Pellets are cheap at my costco. You can cookcool/ low and smoke... or cook at 300-550 like you would with a hank hill approved grill.

Trager have more moving parts... if you store it without pellets and with a good cover... no issues unless you live near the coast where all the small stuff will rust out

These blackstones kind of intrique me with their griddle top.

Sear a steak and fry eggs right beside.

I have a Green mountain pellet smoker/ grill and hate it. It is similar to the traeger, I would skip the pellets and go another route. I just bought a weber 22" kettle and will be building another stick smoker soon. Then I will get rid of the pellet grill.

You need both. Need a gas grill or green egg that can get up to 500+ degrees to sear a steak and then a separate smoker for long and slow cooking.

Reactions: Bradu
Another vote for a Pit Barrel (if just looking for a quick, fire and forget, smoker). If wanting a grill, I'd stick with a traditional grill like Weber. That's the challenge, right? No single device does all things well (smoke, grill, sear). If they do, it's usually a compromise of something else.

JMTCW...

Hard to beat a gas grill for a quick meal. Weber gas with 4th burner on will hit 650 in about 10 min during warm weather.

Reactions: Sieg
I had to replace my grill about this time last year. I went with a Green Mountain smoker. It's very similar to a Traeger. Pellet smokers are really easy to use. I love it. The only "mod" I did to my smoker was I added a cold smoker attachment so I can smoke cheese, salmon, etc. Just smoked some Gouda cheese last night with apple wood. It was soooooo damn good.

Since I'm a BBQ fanatic, I'll give my .02.

I'm originally from central Texas, now living in Phoenix. I've had everything from offset stick burners, Weber charcoal grills, gas grills, gas smokers, Weber Smokey Mountain cookers, and now a Yoder pellet smoker. My Yoder YS640 is a great smoker and can also be used as a grill by removing the heat diffuser and using grill grates. It's very convenient. I do long brisket cooks and load up the pellet hopper and cook all night. When I get up in the morning I check the meat temp and add more pellets to get through the cook. The smoke flavor from the pellets is good, but not as good as a true wood burning smoker. You can use a smoke tube to enhance the smoke flavor, but it's not quite the same as burning real wood, however it is much more convenient. I think I'm a convert to the pellet style grills now. They are great for long slow cooks or can be easily converted for use as a traditional grill. Pellets are relatively cheap and I find the flavor of the meat to be much better than gas grills. Traeger are ok, but they are cheap. As are most other brands that you would find at home depot or similar stores. If it's just for occasional use it will be fine. If you plan to use it a lot, I would suggest stepping up to a more heavy duty unit, like the RecTec or Yoder.

I really miss the flavor of an offset wood burning smoker, but they require a lot of tending. I REALLY like being able to put a brisket on at 6pm and not check it or the fire until I wake up the next morning. I've had my Yoder for about a Year now and HIGHLY recommend them, if you want to spend that type of money.

Reactions: Sieg and JoeZ
I have a Camp Chef pellet grill. I do like it, it took a couple of times to figure out how to use it correctly. They do not smoke as deeply as an offset with wood (I always soaked my wood for additional smoke). I'll be investing in the smoke tube.
They are, however, set it and forget it. I have done prime rib on it twice and it was excellent. I've done brisket, ribs and turkey on it. My biggest beef with it is that it can't stay outside in the rain. I don't have a covered patio, if it is raining, I can't use the smoker.

Last edited:
I'll start by saying, I'm not a pellet smoker guy, simply because I enjoy the nuances of maintaining my cooks. If I was to busy to 'watch' my setup, pellet would be no brainier, as would a WiFi enabled thermometer.

But for the most part, I find it hard to have just one grill/smoker. They're all somewhat technical pieces, and there are days when I want to smoke and grill at the same time. The Weber Kettle 22" does both very well for me, with the caveat that I'm usually cooking for 4 people or less. It gets piping hot with a Vortex basket, and the snake method keeps it at 225-250F for smoking. Salmon, Brisket, Pork, Chicken Wings, Cheese, Chili.. you name it.. it can be done. Weber also has a pretty cool cooking App with recipes and cooking techniques, specific to your setup.

Now that this thread was brought about, the PitMaster Sniper is on my short list. For me, cooking is enjoyable where I get to tinker with heat, drink, and watching the grill; the remainder is eating. Having options is a good thing.

My kids bought me a Traeger for my birthday last year and I love it. So easy to use. My nephew mocks me and says it's an Easy Bake Oven. I do use the smoke tube to boost smoke when I make a corn beef brisket or pork belly.

I kept my Weber because I am in the "you need both" camp. They do different things.

Traeger is easy. For the holidays I put the turkey in the night before with the Traeger set to smoke and a light timer on the power. When I get up at 5 it has been smoking for several hours. You get to set and go about your day. I do miss the deep smoke rings from lump charcoal smoking. Traeger makes great bbq, isn’t “traditional”.

Put it on the Smoke setting for several hours and you will have all the smoke ring you could want.

OP - I’ve had my Traegar for nearly 10 years, and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Be sure you get a decent remote temp probe, and never peek while cooking.

Rec-Tec pellet smoker. Makes perfect babybacks every time. Like it so much bought one for a friend.

Reactions: velvetant
I'll start by saying, I'm not a pellet smoker guy, simply because I enjoy the nuances of maintaining my cooks. If I was to busy to 'watch' my setup, pellet would be no brainier, as would a WiFi enabled thermometer.

But for the most part, I find it hard to have just one grill/smoker. They're all somewhat technical pieces, and there are days when I want to smoke and grill at the same time. The Weber Kettle 22" does both very well for me, with the caveat that I'm usually cooking for 4 people or less. It gets piping hot with a Vortex basket, and the snake method keeps it at 225-250F for smoking. Salmon, Brisket, Pork, Chicken Wings, Cheese, Chili.. you name it.. it can be done. Weber also has a pretty cool cooking App with recipes and cooking techniques, specific to your setup.

Now that this thread was brought about, the PitMaster Sniper is on my short list. For me, cooking is enjoyable where I get to tinker with heat, drink, and watching the grill; the remainder is eating. Having options is a good thing.
This is where I am at too. I love sitting by the Pitmaker tending the fire. It gives me time to smoke cigars, drink bourbon, tool around in the garage... it really is relaxing. But, you have to tend the fire every 90 minutes or so. I love to use oak on most smokes, cherry with brisket, or hickory sometimes, though I tend to prefer the oak over hickory as it's not as strong. I also often use apple. Playing with different fuels is half the fun. I'm a huge fan of pecan with brisket, but can't get it here except the dried out bags at Academy.