• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old 6 digit non-prefix Model 700 Action Question

slickyboyboo

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
I just recently bought an old 6 digit non-prefix model 700 LA. I am planning a custom build with it, but I have heard that the scope mounting positions are different heights, not allowing the use of a 1 piece mount. My question is, is their a company that sells bases for these older receivers, or would it be worth having my smith mill down the higher mounting position? If either of those aren't the best option, what would be?

Re: Old 6 digit non-prefix Model 700 Action Question

Yes, the front and rear receiver bridges are different than newer rifles. But I think it's just a matter of specifying that when you buy your scope base. Whatever you do... DO NOT have your receiver milled down!

I've used a few older 700/721/722's and have never had a problem with a base not fitting properly. I've used Badger bases on all of those types, and never did I feel they needed to be shimmed or bedded.

An exception to that was when I modified a short action 700 base to fit an XP-100. That required significant bedding on the rear bridge. I'm not sure if the bridge height on these receivers are supposed to be different from that of the standard 700, but there was a fairly large gap.

I'd suggest trying a standard base first and seeing how it fits without messing with anything. You can always exchange/shim/bed it if you need to.

When did the 700s change? Is there a specific serial # or year?

As posted by wilshire1412 in 2009:

"There is a difference, the actions produced prior to @ 1974 have a lower rear bridge height. This means that any non prefix action and probably some A prefix are not the same dimensionally as the actions made afterwards. The really old 700 actions have a cut out at the rear bridge that appears like a clip slot, not all 6 digit actions have this apparently but the early ones do. If you have an early action a later type base can be used if you shim and bed the base to the action, this will take care of the difference in rear bridge height. Remington made a change in the actions that required a higher rear bridge around 1974."

Thanks everyone for the info. I will check out a regular base first, and go from there. I would consider my rifle an old one, Remington said that according to the serial, it was made in 1965.

I wonder what the exact change was to the action and why.

Was there a structural problem?

As far as I know Remington raised the rear bridge height when they added the anti bind rail to the receiver in 1974.

Was there a specific letter prefix or number that was the cutoff for the old style? Also, when did they go to the new style extractor?