• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Older Jet Mill Quality?

chipdog4

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2010
SW Indiana
I'm going to look at an Jet Mill from 1980. It was saved, by the current owner, from the scrap pile by a local toolmaking company, so I'm not sure.
I imagine it was a tool room machine.
The model is JVM 840 PF.
My father went and looked at it already and $1100 is the asking price.

No tooling with it other than a Bridgeport Vice.

I picked up an old Sheldon lathe a couple years ago. Looking to add more toys...

Last edited:
Mine is from the same time frame and it's an excellent machine. Mine came from a toolroom from a now closed newspaper that an employee either purchased or got it home somehow.

I added the DRO and I can do precision work as well as a full sized Bridgeport, just a little smaller.

Here's a picture of it

00c0c_47t2duxi8xk_600x450.jpg

If that is a current picture it looks like it is still under power, have the owner take it through it's cycle and listen to it run. Then that and price should give you a good idea of ""Deal or Not a Deal".

I picked it up this morning. It came with a small box of tooling. The autofeed wouldn't work, but he swore it did when he bought years ago.
It was in a body shop, so it is covered in Bondo dust. I spent about 2 hours cleaning it up so far and need to spend another 3 or 4 more.
I was a little beyond irritated after I agreed to buy. He offered nothing in the way of help in getting it loaded.

It did come with a Carroll dividing head, so I'm not sure what to do with it...
I'll get some pictures up tomorrow evening if anyone wants to see.

Are you talking about a quill feed? I don't see any power feed or control levers for the quill. Are they on the right side? I also don't see any x,y or z power feed motors on it. I have used my quill auto feed exactly zero times. It looks to be fully manual.

Had the wrong setting on the dang camera for a couple pictures

The table has power feed on the X axis.
I'm wanting to get a set of quick change colletts for it, any recommendations or ones to stay away from?. I used to work for a company that made CNC machines and they had quick change, so I like using them.
I'll get a set of regular R8 colletts for taller work, since the quick change looks to take away 3 inches of Z travel.
I need to pick up a spare drawbar, too...

100_1699.jpg

100_1702.jpg

100_1707.jpg

Last edited: