• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Olympic Medal Count - different math

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
As praise worthy as American atheletes have been in winning the number of medals they have to date, here is a different perspective - medal count by population.

Under this math, out of 84 participating countries - were sitting in 50th position.

Congratulations to Grenada - the winner of the medal count by population.

http://simon.forsyth.net/olympics.html

Good luck

Re: Olympic Medal Count - different math

I heard that on PBS the other day. Interesting, thanks for posting.

I thought that you were talking about this kind of math.

Recession?, what recession?

£4.6 million - the cost of an British Olympic medal
Britain will have spent £4.6 million on each Olympic medal it wins in these games if athletes meet projected targets, it has emerged.

With Team GB having already won more medals than in Athens or Sydney, the cost of funding for each podium place reveals the rising levels of investment in British sport.

A tally of 38 medals going into day 11 puts Britain on course for one of the country's most successful Games with the chance to win more than 19 gold medals for the first time in 104 years.

Great Britain's impressive form at the Olympics follows a massive cash injection after London won its bid to host the Games. UK Sport's funding increased from £70 million for the 2004 Athens Games to £235 million for Beijing.

This year, it has received £264 million, largely from investment through the National Lottery.

And if British athletes meet projections of collecting 57 medals, the funding equates to £4.6 million per medal compared with £2.1 million for each of Britain's 28 medals in Sydney.

Over the last four Olympics, the price per medal has steadily increased to £5 million for each of Team GB's 47 medals in Beijing.

In total, a combined tally of 143 medals to date since 2000 has cost just over £4 million per medal.

Gymnast Beth Tweddle, who won bronze, credited the National Lottery's backing with the team's success.

The 27-year-old became the first British woman to win an Olympic medal in the individual women's gymnastics and said the funding made a "massive" difference.

Almost 90 per cent of Britain's 542 competitors have benefited from Lottery funding.

Professor David Forrest, a sports economist at the University of Salford, told the BBC: "When Great Britain went to Beijing, the team benefited from £235m investment in training programmes in the years running up to the Olympics – that's a fourfold increase on what was spent [in the run up to Athens].

"We spent an extra £165m and got 17 more medals, so that's about £10m a medal."

But he said the levels of funding necessary to succeed meant there were some sports that were completely out of reach for some of the poorest countries.

He said a study had found there was one swimming pool for every six million people in Ethiopia, preventing champion swimmers from emerging.

"We have identified four sports where there is virtually no chance that anyone from a poor country can win a medal – equestrian, sailing, cycling and swimming," he added.

Figures from UK Sport showed rowing received the most funding at £27.3 million followed by cycling (£26 million), swimming and athletics (both £25.1 million).

The least money is devoted to table tennis (£1.2 million), wrestling (£1.4 million) and weightlifting (£1.37 million).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympic...mpic-medal.html

and this cost for Greece:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/09/athens-2004-olympics-athletes-home

Leave it to PBS to come up with yet another smarmy way to belittle American accomplishment.

Greg

Yea, end of the day we still have the most Gold medals, and the most overall medals for the 2012 summer Olympics, and the most medals and gold medals won ever in Olympic history.

So basically everyone else is trying to make up excuses as to why they suck so much, even trying to get a 20 year age limit for Basketball because we dominate so much (although why is basketball even in the Olympics and not baseball or football?).

We win. Suck on it. Try harder next time. I don't hear anyone saying how China has over 5 times our population, or anyone asking where the fuck India is, lol.

Aren't there a lot of athletes that compete for other countries but have U.S. Citizenship? I remember reading an article on that awhile back but can't remember where I saw it.

The fact is a lot of athletes from the US compete for another contry. So the math that is posted is full of FAIL. That is all.

Kirani James the Gold Medalist for Grenada ran at the University of Alabama. So I'm not sure he's a home-grown (Grenadian) prodigy.

There were a number of other small country athletes that trained in the U.S.

In fact, wasn't there some cunt who was actually born and raised in America and didn't have the skill set to play for the USA and so went and played for Russia?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave it to PBS to come up with yet another smarmy way to belittle American accomplishment.

Greg </div></div>

True, a better description would have been how many athletes trained in the United States but represented another country at the games...

lol, Sprayed99 beat me
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kirani James the Gold Medalist for Grenada ran at the University of Alabama. So I'm not sure he's a home-grown (Grenadian) prodigy.

There were a number of other small country athletes that trained in the U.S.

In fact, wasn't there some cunt who was actually born and raised in America and didn't have the skill set to play for the USA and so went and played for Russia? </div></div>

chew mean.....????

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/...omen/56869212/1

I think the USA should be higher on the list. I feel we did not get weighted fairly. We actually have the largest population in the world and when I say large I mean fat. So I think in the calculations they should only include populations that is not fat and a certain age range. Based on my Calculations we would be between #2-#3 on the list.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity