• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One and done custom gun to replace old Rem700 SPS-V 308

Nameless

Sergeant USMC μολὼν λαβέ
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Camp Pendleton, Shitfornia
I’m getting out of the Marines soon and looking to build my first custom rifle. For the last several years I’ve been making due with a Rem 700 SPS-Varmint 26” barrel in 308 Win in a 700P take off stock and one of the old SWFA 10x mil/MOA scopes. It was all I could afford at the time and has been great for the past 7ish years but being limited to 168 class bullets due to the factory twist rate leaves a lot to be desired. The original plan was to shoot the barrel out and re-barrel but after crunching some $ numbers I’ve scrapped that idea in favor of putting something much more refined and more capable together. I’m still weighing my options right now which is why I’m posting this, but would appreciate if I could get some feedback from you all on my plan thus far to avoid making costly mistakes. Anyways my current build list is as follows:

Optic:
Short term – Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP MRAD (Bought this with the intention of putting it on my AR15, but think it will live on this build until I can afford the Razor below)
Long Term – Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP MRAD in some type of 1-piece mount.

Action:
Lone Peak Fuzion S/A. - Also still considering Impact 737r and Bighorn TL3. I haven’t put hands on any of these, nor any other custom action in general unfortunately. I chose these simply because of the number of pre-fit barrels that pop up in the PX. Whatever I go with will be a one-and-only for a very long time and because of that, the ability to change barrels/calibers myself is very important to me. I understand bolt heads are cheaper with the TL3 but I think I would prefer to have the entire bolt to swap when changing bolt face sizes so that is somewhat of a moot point. Is there somewhere in SoCal or AZ that I can get a feel for any of these actions or others I may not be taking into consideration?

Barrel:
26” M24 contour shouldered pre-fit in 6.5x47L to start, 26” M24 contour 223 Rem and 28” M24 contour 7mm SAUM to follow, in that order, from either Altus, Straightjacket, PVA or wherever else has a solid reputation and the shortest lead time at time of purchase. Or if I get lucky and find what I’m looking for in the PX then that would work as well. Barrel length for the 6.5 and 223 would be dependent on the stock selection below as both of these will be used for local competition at some point, even if only just to dabble in it to see if I enjoy it or not, and I want the weapon to balance well if I do something other than the PRS-TCS.

Trigger:
Seems like TriggerTech is the preferred unit right now, hopefully their two stage will be available but if not I could deal with a single stage, it’s just not my preference. Not super picky here, it just needs to be fuss free and reliable in dry dusty climates which they seem to be from what I’ve read.

Stock:
Manners T2A-GAP, T4A-Team or the new PRS-TCS with elite tactical shell because it’s sexy. Years ago I handled the first two options (older T2A/T4A) and loved both, but really like the idea of the new product Manners has pushed out with regards to being able to fine tune the balance of the rifle. My question here is if the Fuzion’s multi-faceted surface will have any issues mating up with the Manners mini-chassis’ sort of \_/ shape? When I was looking at their online stock builder I didn’t see an option for the Fuzion, and on Lone Peak’s website product description says it fits Rem 700 inlets so I would assume they fit together properly but again, I’m not in the business of making expensive mistakes and I’m sure someone here has actually put metal to metal and op checked it before so I figured I’d ask this here before asking the manufacturer(s) independently.

I know intended use is important with things like this so I will cover them all here real quick. Most of the time I will be out in the southern AZ desert at around 1400’ ASL, shooting mostly paper and steel. It is hot, dry and dusty where I shoot almost all year long. I’m not at all abusive with my stuff, but I’m not the guy that babies his stuff either. The expected distances are where the multiple barrels come into play. 223 will get used for inexpensive positional practice and plinking to around 600ish yards with some small game and varmints in the mix. 6.5x47L will be used out to about 1200ish yards at my primary shooting spot before I run out of real-estate, and used for hunting coyote through elk a few times a year. The 7mm SAUM will be strictly for shooting past 1200 yards at my alternate shooting spot with hopes of reaching out to a mile someday and I expect to have to single load it, which is fine, but mag fed is a requirement for the other two. Local PRS matches are something I’ll dabble in at some point but not a main factor at this time. Overall weight isn’t a huge issue as I’m in pretty good shape but I will say I love a well-balanced rifle. Recoil isn’t much of an issue either. My un-braked 308 isn’t too hard to spot my hits with so I assume a heavier rifle, braked with less recoil to start with is going to be pretty pleasant. I’m the type of weirdo that enjoys reloading so factory ammo isn’t a concern and adding extra calibers to the routine isn’t difficult. I’ll also be doing a metric butt load of dry firing in between the weekly range trips, but that’s probably not much of a factor in component choice. I don’t have a set budget to adhere to as I will be selling a dirt bike to fund it later in the year along with the aforementioned Rem 700 this will replace. That said, money not spent on the weapon system will likely be spent on reloading components.

Is there anything else I should be considering with this build?

A steady diet of crayons could help you snag the Gen II razor sooner...

Lol jk

Don’t discount the Origin action. It’s a little cheaper, but the saved costs could get you a bunch of ammo, the Gen II Razor, or even a class given in your AO. Taking it you’re a fellow Jarhead you’ll have some good fundamentals already.

I think with the stocks one inlet for a 700 should suit you; I’ve seen some people have had to file a little bit to get the ejection ports to line up perfectly on the stocks? Maybe someone else can chime in with that or reach out directly to Manners.

Maybe a local member can meet up with you who has a rifle built on one of the actions mentioned so you can get a feel for it? Also, don’t discount the Px here for some of the components, or even a good rifle to snag.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge then me can jump in and help a little more. For now though you sound like you have a good plan in place.

A couple of things, first, the twist rate in your current rifle does not limit your to 168's.
A 1-12 will stabilize 175's just fine, so much so, that the USMC was running 1-12 for many years.

second: It is FAR cheaper to swap bolt heads, than to swap bolts. Hell, you can go ahead and buy the bolt heads now and throw them in the safe.

Third: The sightron SVSSED 4.5-24 will run right along with the Vortex razor Gen II. Contact them in regards to military discount. Make sure to look into the one with the zero stop.

+1 on an impact action. I bought a used one from a local hide member having never fiddled around with one before and couldn’t have been happier. I have messed with the bighorns and while they’re nice, I just didn’t like the idea of possibly having the bolt bind up. And you can’t single feed.

They readily accept prefits which is nice. Another vendor to check out for a prefit is Keystone Accuracy, I have one of their kreiger prefits in 6br and it hammers! But you can’t go wrong with any of the folks you listed either. Also the gen 2 mini chassis from manners will clear the trigger hanger on the impact from what I’ve heard. The TT diamond single stage is a phenomenal trigger and hasn’t let me down in dusty northern Colorado.

Before building the custom, suggest loading up some 208 eld-m's. As far as re-barreling with a std bolt head, 284 straight or Shehane is one of the most efficient cartridges out there, Shehane good for at least a mile with heavies. I was going to re-barrel my 700 5R to the Shehane, but the performance of the 208's made me decide to wait and shoot the barrel out first.

I'd scratch the 6.5x47L and the 223 in favor of one 6mmBRA barrel. Then buy components with the extra money. Since you reload you can load lighter bullets for varmints and barricade, then heavier bullets for distance. Pretty amazing what these little cartridges will do! Current BR record 5 shot group with the 6mmBRA is .282" at 600Y and 1.2" at 1000Y!

I decided switching barrels around isn't what I wanted to do after I tried it, just enough of a hassle to want to avoid it. It's nice to grab the rifle and go shoot. I went with 6mmBR but want that 2950 fps sweet spot with 105gr so I think I'll do 6mmBRA next time.

Love my TT trigger!

737 action is very refined and popular for a reason!

Grab your AR/223 if you want to plink to 600Y. I built a 223AI bolt rifle and kinda wish I hadn't, I'd rather shoot my 6mmBR because....

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input! I'll respond in red under your individual quotes below:

I think with the stocks one inlet for a 700 should suit you; I’ve seen some people have had to file a little bit to get the ejection ports to line up perfectly on the stocks? Maybe someone else can chime in with that or reach out directly to Manners.
That is one of my primary concerns, hopefully someone who owns both will chime in.
Maybe a local member can meet up with you who has a rifle built on one of the actions mentioned so you can get a feel for it? Also, don’t discount the Px here for some of the components, or even a good rifle to snag.
One can hope! Unfortunately during the current state of the world I have a feeling that happeing is pretty unlikely for the time being.

A couple of things, first, the twist rate in your current rifle does not limit your to 168's.
A 1-12 will stabilize 175's just fine, so much so, that the USMC was running 1-12 for many years.
That's what I thought too. Maybe my loads were crap, but during initial load develpoment after I got the rifle I tried 175SMK, 185 Juggernaut, and 208 AMAX (it's what was on the shelf at the time) none of them grouped worth a damn in my gun and I saw a lot of oblong impacts with the latter two. I still have some on hand though, so maybe I'll revisit them at some point. 155SMK/Scenar and the 168SMK all worked really well so I stuck with those primarily.
second: It is FAR cheaper to swap bolt heads, than to swap bolts. Hell, you can go ahead and buy the bolt heads now and throw them in the safe.
I completely agree however, I feel like sliding bolt 1 out and sliding bolt 2 in would keep the whole switch barrel setup as simple as possible. How do the Bighorn bolt's disassemble? I did a search but couldn't find any videos for visual reference.
Third: The sightron SVSSED 4.5-24 will run right along with the Vortex razor Gen II. Contact them in regards to military discount. Make sure to look into the one with the zero stop.
I'll make sure to check that one out, thanks for the suggestion!

+1 on an impact action. I bought a used one from a local hide member having never fiddled around with one before and couldn’t have been happier. I have messed with the bighorns and while they’re nice, I just didn’t like the idea of possibly having the bolt bind up. And you can’t single feed.
Not being able to single feed is something I was unaware of and would eliminate that action from the running for me as I'm pretty sure the heavy 7mm bullets won't mag feed out of a S/A with the SAUM. Good to know!

Before building the custom, suggest loading up some 208 eld-m's. As far as re-barreling with a std bolt head, 284 straight or Shehane is one of the most efficient cartridges out there, Shehane good for at least a mile with heavies. I was going to re-barrel my 700 5R to the Shehane, but the performance of the 208's made me decide to wait and shoot the barrel out first.
I'll pick up a box of the 208 ELD-M's as suggested, and give them a try when I revist the others listed in an above quote. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'd scratch the 6.5x47L and the 223 in favor of one 6mmBRA barrel. Then buy components with the extra money. Since you reload you can load lighter bullets for varmints and barricade, then heavier bullets for distance. Pretty amazing what these little cartridges will do! Current BR record 5 shot group with the 6mmBRA is .282" at 600Y and 1.2" at 1000Y!

I decided switching barrels around isn't what I wanted to do after I tried it, just enough of a hassle to want to avoid it. It's nice to grab the rifle and go shoot. I went with 6mmBR but want that 2950 fps sweet spot with 105gr so I think I'll do 6mmBRA next time.

Love my TT trigger!

737 action is very refined and popular for a reason!

Grab your AR/223 if you want to plink to 600Y. I built a 223AI bolt rifle and kinda wish I hadn't, I'd rather shoot my 6mmBR because....
This is one of my biggest concerns as well. I'm not lazy per say, but I hate tedious tasks and I have a feeling that I'll neglect extra barrels BUT I am also kind of a cheapskate so building multiple platforms just to shoot other calibers appeals to me even less. I just did a quick component cost comparison between the 6BRA and 6.5x47L and there isn't a huge difference. That said, when compared to 223 I could shoot A LOT more for the same amount of money despite the negative of having to buy a spare barrel and dedicated bolt. I do see your point about using the AR too, but then I lose the ability to do high volume practice with the same system I intend to shoot (potential) comps with. In fact, maybe that would only be a worthwhile option once I try a match and see if its even something I like first...

I would stick with the Lone Peak Fuzion. If you go to Manners Ready to Ship page you'll see an option under actions that lists Lone Peak, so obviously they do inlet for them. That being said, I have a Fuzion in a Manners EH1 that is a generic 700 inlet, and I don't have any unsightly areas in the inletting. Don't discount the 7SS if you do not want to single feed 7SAUM.

Hi and Semper Fi. I'll second the advice about the 308 and 175's being OK in 1:10, or even 1:12 twist.

Swapping bolt heads is fine with Savage rifles, but I'm not aware that this would be true with Rem 700's.

I live in SE AZ in Pearce, at about 4350ft. When I came here in 2016, I looked at all that empty ground and anticipated being able to shoot pretty much at random. Once moving in, it very quickly became apparent that all the empty space isn't so empty. A big bunch of it is grazing, some of it is private; and during Summer, there are widespread shooting restrictions due to wildfire closures. In order to shoot on an approved, club managed range; I have to drive 50 miles to Douglas, on the Border. For me, Ben Avery is an overnight trip up past Phoenix.

The heat right now can be brutal, it's hitting 80 by 7:30am around here, topping out at around 100, and it's hotter down in the flat at around 1200ft in places like Tucson or Phoenix. I washed my van today, but was done by 7:00AM. My age and health combine to make that "but it's a dry heat" line a cruel joke. When temps get up to 85, I'm looking for the A/C.

Sounds like you're planning on shooting near Phoenix; at Ben Avery Range maybe, or something nearby. Fabulous place, Ben Avery.

Right now Covid distancing is apparently not so uniform on organized ranges. Clubs are doing their best to comply and also stay viable. Some of the results can be iffy. The way the talking heads are talking, that could be the case for some considerable time to come.

Personally, I'd suggest that the 700 you have is not so terrible. My reasoning about stepping up to a custom is that it's best accomplished when, and only when, the existing system can be clearly demonstrated to be flawed, or a hindrance to skills improvement. I can understand getting ready to exit the Corps and wanting a great rifle; but simply put, you already have one. Shoot the heck out of it, and upgrade when its accuracy fall off. IMHO, the biggest improvement you could be doing is handloading if you're not doing that already; although that's something of a tall order for an active duty Marine.

Give it a trigger upgrade, and maybe a new barrel when the current one goes South. That would be my advice for now and the near future. I also suggest that moderate tier optics are more than adequate for all but the top tier competitors, and may result in spending for capabilities that you might not actually need.

If swapping barrels, consider the 260 Rem. The cartridges, 308 and 260, are essentially the same case, except for the neck diameter, so barrel swap, and Bingo, everything else works just like the other chambering.

Buy what you need, and save buying for the heart for a time when your move has stabilized, and your actual needs become undeniably obvious.

S/F and welcome to AZ. Last time I was at Pendleton was back in 1966.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: diggler1833
Solid advice from Greg. A friend of mine - also a marine - shot a 700 PSS with a Jewell trigger. That rifle was 1/2 MOA to 600 with his hand loads.

If you're still on fire for a custom, and a switch barrel, @reubenski has posted a lot of good info. Finally, don't spend any money until you call Matt at Stewart Rifles. www.stewartrifles.com. He built one for me off a 700 long action. I shoot 300wm, 6.5CM, and 30-06 off the same platform. All bbsl are Rem Varmint contour from Greg at southern precision, and the rifles balances perfectly.

God speed and God bless America.

Forgot one thing. Wear and tear on rifles can contribute significantly to inaccuracy.

If the stock isn't bedded, bedding it can be one of the primary paths to improvement. I do my own bedding, it's not especially hard to do, and there are a lot of articles and videos on the subject.

Another is crown wear/damage. Use some magnification and examine the juncture between bore and crown face. If there are nicks, rounding, and/or any other damage that makes that juncture not symmetrical all around, recrowning can be very helpful. While it can be done at home, this one is better left to a qualified gunsmith. Resting the rifle on the muzzle is a definite cause for such issues.

The 700P stock provides additional clearance for the barrel. That gap can trap debris and 'defloat' your barrel. Sweeping the gap with a card or some other wiper can remove the debris, and the difference can be very positive.

These considerations may help.

Greg

@CStroud
I hadn't noticed that, thank you for pointing it out! Seems a call to Manners would be in order when I'm ready to place my order. Regarding the 7SS, I just did some searching/reading and I love the idea, but really don't want to mess with anything that doesn't have factory brass available. Maybe someday I'll dabble in it but for now I think I should steer clear.

@Greg Langelius *
I'm all too familiar with the wide open spaces not being as wide open as you might think with regards to AZ. Fortunately for me I'll be moving to San Tan Valley so a short trip can yield great shooting opportunities. Or at least that's how it used to be, it's been a couple years since the last time I visited so its possible things have changed some. In any case, I'm not looking forward to the heat at all. Dry heat or not, it can be downright miserable in the summer months which tend to feel like they last forever. That's the sole thing I will miss about California, beautiful weather year round. Too bad it gets tarnished by everything else wrong with the state but I'll leave that to another discussion.

When I get settled back in I'll check the things you mentioned about my current rifle, as well as revisit some of the heavier bullets as discussed in an earlier post and then re-evaluate my wants/needs at that point and decide which way to go. Regarding hand loading though, I've been doing it since I was a kid with my dad and have used a lot of the information here in this forum to improve my game since the early 2000's. Definitely by no means an expert but I have a good setup here at home so when we travel to visit relatives we usually bring a good stock of ammo to feed through the guns before they get put up for the next couple months. I'm just hoping that between full time school and part/full time work I'll still have time for such activities. I guess only time will tell there.

@Scarface26
I think I saw a thread by reubenski about switch barrel addiction or something along those lines not too long ago. That was actually the inspiration behind this. And I really love the idea of adapting the flats on the barrel like what AI does with their rifles now. I remember the rem-age kits were gaining popularity years ago but strictly from an aesthetic point of view I could never get behind the barrel nut idea. With shouldered pre-fits available and all sorts of other systems out there for hand-tight installs being available, I don't see any reason not to do a switch barrel setup anymore. On paper at least the pros seem to outweigh the cons!

ADG manufactures the brass for Sherman. It's pretty good stuff from what I've seen.

All I'd want to add is my own generic 308 loads:

168SMK (or 168 Speer Gold Dot, as I am transitioning to) with 43.5gr or IMR-4064, this is an older clone of 308FGMM. I use Starline 308 brass and the CCI-BR-2 primer.

175SMK with 42.2gr of IMR-4064, and the above same brass and primer. This is an older clone of 308FGMM2. I have a small stock of HDY 178 ELD-X, and may try this soon in 308 as a load development project.

BTW, I load all my loads to standard magazine length, all of my chambers are SAAMI spec; and these loads were confirmed in 24" length, 1:10" twist AR and Bolt Rifle Barrels.

This load appeared in an article above my name in the inaugural issue of Tactical Shooter Magazine. It wasn't actually my load; I had borrowed it from an article in Precision Shooting Magazine.

San Tan Valley will put you in the close vicinity of several excellent shooting facilities, with Ben Avery Range being the premier such facility in AZ, as my best guess.

My final National Match was the Berger SW LR Nationals in 2017. I was shooting 223 in the F T/R MR/600yd matches alongside my then-20 y/o granddaughter in her first formal match of any kind using a factory stock 24" Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. Loads were confirmed in 24" 1:9" and 1:8" barrels, both Bolt and AR platforms. HDY 75gr HPBT-Match, 23.5gr of Varget, Starline brass, and CCI BR-4 primers. My rifle was a 24" Savage 11VT 223 with a Choate Tactical replacement stock.

Greg

Last edited:

Funny you mentioned this. I just ordered this scope without the zero stop yesterday (+600 MAP for zero stop) sight unseen. Ive had several Sightron SIII in the past and always felt they were great scopes for the $$. Particularly with the MIL/LEO discount - probably the best discount in the industry. Looking forward to seeing it in real life.

You’d get fewer opinions and more useful responses asking this place to build your ideal girlfriend.

Reactions: spife7980
I helped a high school buddy who was retiring after about 35 years of USMC from E1 to O6. He wanted a go-to target/range rifle he could get into long range shooting with and use for the occasional hunt. I sourced most of the parts thru comshaw, legit trades and I gave him the stock and bipod as part of his retirement gift (I also gave him 2 AI 10rd brown mags I had engraved with rank/aviator wings on 1 side and service dates on the other plus a 200rd case of FGMM 168). He bought the receiver thru GB and his LGS, barrel I got for $275 and Cronus, which I got him for $800. He got the PWS to put the rifle together for him.
May be an option on the build that could be worth looking into. They did it in between other jobs on a not-to-interfere basis.

Parts breakdown:
PartDescription / Specs
Receiver / actionRemington 700LH short-action, .473" bolt face
- Bolt knob- Badger 306-31
TriggerPre X-Mark Pro (Walker) tuned by PWS
StockMcMillan A-5, LH, saddle cheekpiece, spacer buttplate
BarrelKrieger Heavy Palma, cut-rifled 1:10" 4 groove, 22" finish length, 5/8-24 threads
recoil lugBadger Ordnance 306-01M - USMC M40A3/A5 lug
scope baseBadger Ordnance 306-06L, 20moa left hand
scope ringsBadger Ordnance 306-75, 34mm USMC M40A3
trigger guard / DBMBadger Ordnance M5 Detachable Bottom Metal
scopeAthlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 MIL/MIL
Picatinny bipod railAccu-Shot BT-46
BipodAtlas BT10-LW17
Muzzle BrakeArea 419 Hellfire with 5/8-24 adapter

At PWS:
8518.jpeg

8576.jpeg

Finished Product. They said it's a hammer without the brake. With the brake it opened up to about 3/4moa.
9252.jpeg

Reactions: Nameless
Very, very nice rifle.

The muzzle brake has probably altered the barrel harmonics so that the FGMM isn't delivering the same accuracy node.

For quick and dirty barrel retune; wrap the barrel tightly behind the brake with #12ga solid copper wire; start with about a foot's worth.

Fire it, trim it and test fire it again; repeat as required.

Eventually you will have the proper amount of weight for the tune as the group tightens up adequately. if you trim it too much, give the smith the 'good' bits along with the existing length.

To make it pretty, have the smith weigh the copper, make an equivalent weight out of a jam nut, then install it on the threads behind the brake.

Yours, free of charge...

Semper Fi, new guy!

I left the Corps in early 1968.

Greg

Last edited: