• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns One Shotgun to rule them all

Right, but can you switch it out with a 500 barrel for skeet/trap shooting?

If I'm that worried about using it for something completly outside of the relm of what it was designed for I would just go to a gunsmith and have a 28 or 30" barrel fitted to it and not look back.
When I was in HS a good friend of mine was big into and raised shooting 4H skeet and I could hang with him shooting a bone stock model 500 while he was running a high end over and under set.
Choose the best tool for the job not something that can do it all mediocre.
Wing shooting is less important to me than dropping two legged varmints if my families well being is at stake and that's why I sold my Win super X2 sporting clays edition.
I don't need an over glorified penis extension shotgun for shooting clays and birds when I can carry a more compact higher capacity and ultimately more lethal option.
The main reason I say that is when you get down to the nitty gritty the main reason we all have the rights we have isn't for shooting game or recreational shooting it's for the protection of our life and families from an oppressive government.

If I'm that worried about using it for something completly outside of the relm of what it was designed for I would just go to a gunsmith and have a 28 or 30" barrel fitted to it and not look back.
When I was in HS a good friend of mine was big into and raised shooting 4H skeet and I could hang with him shooting a bone stock model 500 while he was running a high end over and under set.
Choose the best tool for the job not something that can do it all mediocre.
Wing shooting is less important to me than dropping two legged varmints if my families well being is at stake and that's why I sold my Win super X2 sporting clays edition.
I don't need an over glorified penis extension shotgun for shooting clays and birds when I can carry a more compact higher capacity and ultimately more lethal option.
The main reason I say that is when you get down to the nitty gritty the main reason we all have the rights we have isn't for shooting game or recreational shooting it's for the protection of our life and families from an oppressive government.
I agree with all that. I'm not looking for something that can do trap/skeet well, I'm just looking to see if it is possible.

I'm getting the 590a1 with an 18.5" barrel. End of story.

I'm just curious to know if I'll be able to swap out the barrel and some components to be able to shoot trap as well.

Another vote for Benelli M2 Field cuz it just works.....every time. Picked it up after I unloaded my Remington semi-auto and put 800 rounds through it without cleaning just to see if it would take it and keep driving. Benelli’s semi-auto design is just damn hard to beat.

I agree with all that. I'm not looking for something that can do trap/skeet well, I'm just looking to see if it is possible.

I'm getting the 590a1 with an 18.5" barrel. End of story.

I'm just curious to know if I'll be able to swap out the barrel and some components to be able to shoot trap as well.

I answered that, if you want a longer sporting or trap and skeet barrel have a gunsmith build one for that or pull the magazine tube and reconfigure the shotgun for that.
Ultimately it would be cheaper to just buy a sporting 500 model for that purpose.
Like I said get the right tool for the job not something that does it all mediocre.
We all have our priorities and choose the best tools to make us most effective at the task at hand.
Defense of my families life is more important to me than recreational or wing shooting.

I answered that, if you want a longer sporting or trap and skeet barrel have a gunsmith build one for that or pull the magazine tube and reconfigure the shotgun for that.
Ultimately it would be cheaper to just buy a sporting 500 model for that purpose.
Like I said get the right tool for the job not something that does it all mediocre.
We all have our priorities and choose the best tools to make us most effective at the task at hand.
Defense of my families life is more important to me than recreational or wing shooting.
So the pertinent part is that, yes, you can pull the tube and barrel, switch it over to a skeet/trap configuration, shoot trap/skeet, then switch it back to a tactical configuration afterwards.

So the pertinent part is that, yes, you can pull the tube and barrel, switch it over to a skeet/trap configuration, shoot trap/skeet, then switch it back to a tactical configuration afterwards.

If that is of importance to you yes you can swap and switch components on the Mossberg 500 platform to suit that need.
Same goes for the 870 but I am confident when given a little thought that most will consider the ultimate task at hand and configure it accordingly.
If I want to shoot birds I will have a dedicated shotgun for that if I want a dedicated defensive shotgun I will obviously be running the 590A1 I allready have becuas3 we obviously don't pre determine the time we will need it
Given that situation I'm going out on a limb here and saying that if the shit hits the fan in my house I allready have a fully functional defense shotgun tuned for the 000 buckshot and slug loads I have on hand to supplement high capacity rifle and pistol fire for close range that are beyond what is in store for any fool that wants to test the metal of what the average fool can do with a precision rifle or two or ten.
With that said by all means waste a bunch of thought and resources on shit that doesn't benefit you or your families chances of survival.
The rest of us are counting on it.

If you want to go full retard Joe Biden style then sure you can break It down that way if you want to be realistic then be on hand to suck some Dicks. Fuck that look at from a my family is first end I will kill you all if you fuck with that.
It doesn't matter if it's a shotgun or a gallon of gasoline fucking with my family or country is a death sentence

I really enjoy my 590a1 SPX. I don’t use it often, but is a “never sell” gun because of its reliability. Oh and what other USA made gun comes with a freaking bayonet from the factory!

E8254AEE-B8D1-44C8-839B-C87C7AB2A68E.jpeg

Curious how many rounds you guys are getting through your Mossbergs. I've never seen one go past 3k without parts falling off.

I'm a rifle guy and love them. I have a defense shotgun and grew up on pumps. I am looking for ONE shotgun that I can use for everything. I'm not wanting a collection of them like I do rifles or handguns. With that said from skeet to hunting what would you get and why?

I'm looking at a semi-auto Franchi. Semi-Auto for speed and easy. Franchi for reliability, quality, and value. 3" or 3.5"? I'm thinking 3" so it can shoot 2 3/4 easier and I'm reading there is very little to nothing you need 3.5" for? 12g of course.

With that said what would you get if you could get one shotgun? gauge, length, semi/pump, brand, etc? I'm not against throwing 2k at a benelli, but I don't LOVE shotguns like I do rifles so why? Unless there is a good reason.

There is your problem. No single firearm is perfect for every purpose. Shotguns are no different.
Different shotguns for a different purpose.

though if you are starting it's hard to beat a remington 870 or mossberg 590 for the money

Who the fuck has put 3k through a mossberg?

Well maybe my platoon back in the corps. we used the shit out of the 590. Can't remember a single time anything ever broke.

I was in a particular job in the Corps for several years where we carried the M9 & 590’s. We would shoot the shit out of them every week, who knows how many rounds they had through them. The common failures were the elevator would crack on the M9 and the barrels would blow off the 590 (the threads would strip off the magazine tube). It’s something else to be running through a stage and have the barrel blow off. But honestly they were great guns.

You're first choice was right. I believe the franchi affinity was the NRA gun of the year in 2012, what ever that means. But they are sweet guns. They arent the same factory as benelli but a sister company "on the same block" sorta thing. I dont think you'd be disappointed.

Just because they are an oddity, I'm curious to know people's thoughts on the KSG.

I was in a particular job in the Corps for several years where we carried the M9 & 590’s. We would shoot the shit out of them every week, who knows how many rounds they had through them. The common failures were the elevator would crack on the M9 and the barrels would blow off the 590 (the threads would strip off the magazine tube). It’s something else to be running through a stage and have the barrel blow off. But honestly they were great guns.

Might have been the same type of job.

I saw plenty of locking blocks fail on the M9

Dunn’s Sporting Goods has a Benelli Montefeltro 12 ga for $699. Steal of a deal and that shotgun will do whatever you need it to do, require minimal maintenance and cleaning and last forever

I've been pleased with my Mossy 930 JM Pro 22" version...

I'm not a fan of cleaning like Jerry :D So I added an OR3GUN "Cold" Comp Kit (lots of bits) and an SBE Precision stainless piston (eliminates the inner piston ring) and it's been going strong for 1000 rounds with out being touched! It's odd but while it will do 8+1 with Rem STS it will do 9+1 with Winshester AA. Regardless, its light recoiling and has crazy fast splits!

I tried to get down to one to rule them all but ended up with 2- a defensive one and a sporting one. Decided the defense one was just too specialized to compromise on. Mossberg 590A1 and then a Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus for everything else. I shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays, duck hunt, turkey hunt, dove hunt, etc with the Beretta. It takes the lightest 2 3/4 skeet loads to the heaviest 3.5" turkey and goose loads like a champ. If I had to ditch one it would be the Mossberg and just get a QD red dot and shorter barrel for the Beretta though for when I wasnt in the field or range. Its more versatile by a lot.

I've had a Benelli M1 Super 90 for over 25 years. It's never let me down. Since the M2s have come out, you can usually find them for a more reasonable price. You can but tube extenders and short barrels and it's real easy to convert it to a home defense shotgun and then throw your longer barrel on it for whatever bird life you are hunting.

likes all shot guns but would have to vote for the bennelli m3 convertible you can run semi auto or if you choose switch over to pump giving you that slide sound that is just so unmistakably shotgun

I had a bunch of high end shotguns as of last year. Benelli M2 12ga setup for 3 gun (never did it), Benelli super black eagle 2, Benelli super sport 12ga, a pair of montefeltro silvers (12 and 20), Benelli ultralight 28ga, Benelli M2 Tactical, Beretta 686 silver pigeon 12ga and a Benelli M4.

I sold every last one except my M4 because I literally use it for everything. With the RMR in the scalarworks mount it makes whacking clays or critters quick and easy. A nice selection of chokes and that RMR does the trick.

The premise is not a good one... but, Benelli M4.

I have lots of shotguns that are better suited to this or that, but I have done more with this gun than with any 2 or 3 of the others: 3G, waterfowl, a drone, clays, deer, coyote, a snake or two, it's been on sailboats, fishing boats, in kayaks and canoes, in snow, salt water... and it is not finicky about ammo.

But then again, who can have just 1 shotgun???

Reactions: BCX
Another vote for a benelli M4....those things just run and run and run like the Energizer bunny. Got a killer deal on a brand new one at a gun show two weekends ago... practical stole the thing from the guy. Second place is
Beretta 1301.. great scatter gun with an unbelievable lightweight presence.
20191012_165454.jpg

Another vote for a benelli M4....those things just run and run and run like the Energizer bunny. Got a killer deal on a brand new one at a gun show two weekends ago... practical stole the thing from the guy. Second place is
Beretta 1301.. great scatter gun with an unbelievable lightweight presence. View attachment 7169098

I think it's bullshit to compare the benelli m4 to the mossberg 590

two completely different animals at very different price points.

I own both.

I think it's bullshit to compare the benelli m4 to the mossberg 590

two completely different animals at very different price points.

I own both.
The title of this thread is,"one shotgun to rule them all." Price is not the arguing point here, function is. The Benelli M4 is functionally a better, more high quality weapon. There's your comparison.

I'm a rifle guy and love them. I have a defense shotgun and grew up on pumps. I am looking for ONE shotgun that I can use for everything. I'm not wanting a collection of them like I do rifles or handguns. With that said from skeet to hunting what would you get and why?
Since you already have a defense shotgun, I'll go a little bit against the grain here and seriously suggest that you purchase an O/U rather than a semi-auto or a pump. Seems weird at first, but there's a fair few advantages to an O/U when hunting and shooting clays compared to a semi-auto with only a couple downsides.

Advantages:
  1. Can use 2 different chokes (essential for sporting clays/doubles trap and surprisingly helpful when hunting)
  2. More in-line recoil (when you shoot bottom barrel first you have hardly any muzzle rise)
  3. "Smoother" recoil (semi-autos make your aim wobble as they cycle, can throw off your second shot in doubles without practice)
  4. If it gets dirty/dropped it only takes 30 seconds to "field strip" it and wipe it out with a rag
  5. In the same vein, wiping off the contact surfaces of the action/barrel with an oiled rag is 95% of the cleaning required, with the other 5% being the choke threads on the barrel and your chokes
  6. Doesn't care what shells you feed it so long as they're still 12ga (light/extra light target loads and a good buttpad do more for your shoulder than a gas gun)
  7. All around more attractive and satisfying to shoot than a semi-auto, plus you'll look like you belong on the skeet field at least until after you go 0/5 on station 1
Disadvantages:
  1. You can load one fewer shell while bird hunting (remember, you can still only load a total of 3 in semis)
  2. Turkey loads will kick a bit more (but honestly normal game loads aren't a big issue)
As far as which O/U to buy, if you're on a budget I'd say go for a CZ. Avoid Dickenson, Pointer, Tristar, Stevens, and Stoeger because their reliability is garbage, but CZ makes the best (IMO) O/U shotguns you can buy for under $1,000. I've got one that I've put more than 5,000 rounds through in the last year and a half or so. I've never had an issue with it and it still locks up tight, and on my college shotgun team there are 6 other guys with CZ's and a combined 20,000 rounds or so that have the same story.

I've also heard good things about the Mossberg International Silver Reserve II O/U's as an option under $1,000, but I haven't had any personal experience with them to confirm that. It appears to be the same Huglu action though, so it's probably more or less identical with a different appearance and name stamped onto it.

If you've got a budget slightly higher than $1,000, which it sounds like if you're looking at a Franchi semi-auto, then you might want to look at some other options. You can start to find used Browning Citori's at ~$1,000 even or just under, along with the Franchi Instinct L right around that same price. If you're willing to stretch up into the $1,500 neighborhood then I'd say go with the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon models, and honestly anything above that price point is paying for either a name (like if you buy a Benelli) or paying for adjustability/custom fitting (higher models from Browning/Beretta with adjustable ribs and cheek risers or custom guns like Perazzi, Krieghoff, and Kolar).

Reactions: 458win
IF I have to bring a Benelli to the fight it will be my M4 14" Entry.
IF I have to bring a Mossberg M590A1 it will my fat ass 14" shorty POS.
IF I find myself conflicted between semi-auto & pump.....I'll bring the Franchi SPAS 12.
How about a trashy 870 Wilson Combat 14" with Vang Comp ported barrel?
Regardless of the gauge, I'm not bringing the O/U Browning Citori's to the fight.

DSCN2164a copy.jpg
DSCN2155A copy.jpg
IMG_3347Mossberg 590A1 with Asgard Defense Forward Shell Holder Photos copy.JPG
IMG_3356Mossberg 590A1 with Asgard Defense Forward Shell Holder Photos copy.JPG
CIMG0591a copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 7.22.23 PM.png

IMG_5311 copy.JPG
IMG_5017 copy.JPG

IMG_7200 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah but it is made by Benelli.....I have a franchi affinity in 20 that I use for everything no problems at all....I might pickup a M1 someday though ...

IF I have to bring a Benelli to the fight it will be my M4 14" Entry.
IF I have to bring a Mossberg M590A1 it will my fat ass 14" shorty POS.
IF I find myself conflicted between semi-auto & pump.....I'll bring the Franchi SPAS 12.
How about a trashy 870 Wilson Combat 14" with Vang Comp ported barrel?
Regardless of the gauge, I'm not bringing the O/U Browning Citori's to the fight.

View attachment 7175182View attachment 7175183View attachment 7175184View attachment 7175194View attachment 7175196View attachment 7175199

View attachment 7175208View attachment 7175209

View attachment 7175212
The SPAS12 isn't everything you think it is.

Browning Citori. You shoot enough birds and you find you can reload that sumbitch pretty damn fast. Fast enough to "triple" on one flush of quail. Hint: keep a third shell ready between your middle and ring finger. And of course, know which barrel you load and switch to it.;)

Reactions: MarinePMI
The person talking about bringing a Citori to a fight apparently didn't bother to read the OP that says a self-defense shotgun is already owned by the OP. They're not looking for a new shotgun for self defense, they're looking for one to do everything else.

[QUOTE
The SPAS12 isn't everything you think it is.
[/QUOTE]
The SPAS 12 may have the most clumsy mechanical action of any modern shotgun.

Red dot optics change a fixed short barrel sight radius from 8-16" versus zero to infinity, which is a real point-of-aim advantage transitioning from a 5 yard to 20 yard head plate when the targets are exposed from .5-1.0 sec!

The Surefire Barry Dueck offset alternative sights (NOT BUIS) were developed for increased speed and precision in winning 3-gun competition. For some shot selections rotation of the firearm along its axis is a quick and completely easy maneuver to transition from a optic dot to acquire a sight picture for target engagement succeed. While under stress and on the clock it is amazing to witness some so-called experienced operator shotgun shooters completely miss the body plate let alone the head plate at 7 yards with a 3 inch shot pattern. Some may prefer to keep using that old school warfare front bead for every shot encounter.
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 6.58.59 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: manki77
The person talking about bringing a Citori to a fight apparently didn't bother to read the OP that says a self-defense shotgun is already owned by the OP. They're not looking for a new shotgun for self defense, they're looking for one to do everything else.
Then what else is there, except for hunting and target shooting? I'd like to see some of those "self defense" guns come out and shoot some trap or skeet. Better yet, sporting clays. ?

Besides, if you get good with a Citori nobody's gonna fuck with you anywhere. Criminals don't like getting "tripled" on.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I'd like to see some of those "self defense" guns come out and shoot some trap or skeet. Better yet, sporting clays.
I bring my 3 gun shotgun out to the local clays club on occasion. Gets really weird looks from the older fellers but I usually shoot low 40's in sporting clays so it must work well enough.

What kind of jerk off book wormy explanation was that?

I don't care who developed those sites or that method. It's fucking stupid.

Experienced operator shotgun shooters missing a body plate at 7 yards!!??? What in the fuck. Gotta be a retard.

The only time a red dot makes sense on a shot gun is for turkey, waterfowl, trap, skeet. shit like that. I'll add to it 50+ yard engagements.

DEFINITELY NOT CQB

oh and just because some fuck invents a concept and a product to go with it doesn't mean they have reinvented the wheel.

Most of the bullshit out there is an invention for a problem that doesn't exist.