• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns One Shotgun to rule them all

Then what else is there, except for hunting and target shooting? I'd like to see some of those "self defense" guns come out and shoot some trap or skeet. Better yet, sporting clays. ?

Besides, if you get good with a Citori nobody's gonna fuck with you anywhere. Criminals don't like getting "tripled" on.

I’d only drop a couple clays on the course at bull run whether I was shooting my Beretta 686, my Benelli Super Sport, or my Benelli M4 with the RMR. Short shotguns with a red dot just plain work for everything.

That’s why something like an M4 with a micro red dot is truly the one shotgun to rule them all... do all tasks... which is what this thread is about.

Then what else is there, except for hunting and target shooting? I'd like to see some of those "self defense" guns come out and shoot some trap or skeet. Better yet, sporting clays. ?
That was kind of my point. If you already have a shotgun for self defense and you want a shotgun to do "everything else", you should only really look at over/under shotguns. They have huge advantages for target shooting and the only disadvantage when hunting is a one less shell loaded at a time (which, as you mentioned, isn't an issue when you practice with an O/U).

My comment was because @strikeeagle1 talked about not bringing a Citori to a fight, since the OP stated they already had a shotgun for home defense. He was advocating against an O/U, when in the context of the original post an O/U shotgun makes the most sense of anything else.

Reactions: sandwarrior
Perazzis, Kolars, and Krieghoffs are three brands where the old saying "if you have to ask, you can't afford one" pretty much applies.
SxS Perazzis's never come at a premium compared to their O/U's but still pretty nice. I got offered a SxS in the mid-eighties for $350.00 ...dammit, dammit, dammit, gotdammit....I didn't buy it.:mad:

9a00fd31e20b96b8521ce277d3757287.jpg

In September I bought my first auto-loading shotgun, a Remington versamax synthetic. I was raised on an Ithaca model 37. I graduated to side by sides in my 30's. I have 353 rounds through this versamax. Run 1oz. Rio's or 3 1/2" goose loads. It cycles everything. It came with a case and 5 chokes. You can ghost load it and I can show you a little mod to add one more 3 1/2" shell in the standard tube. It also comes with a shim kit to get the fit right for you. The main problem is that it's not available with wood furniture, so it's ugly as home made soap.

In September I bought my first auto-loading shotgun, a Remington versamax synthetic. I was raised on an Ithaca model 37. I graduated to side by sides in my 30's. I have 353 rounds through this versamax. Run 1oz. Rio's or 3 1/2" goose loads. It cycles everything. It came with a case and 5 chokes. You can ghost load it and I can show you a little mod to add one more 3 1/2" shell in the standard tube. It also comes with a shim kit to get the fit right for you. The main problem is that it's not available with wood furniture, so it's ugly as home made soap.
37's are great guns!

Very under-rated. But a couple of my friends in HS back in the '80s had those. And they were very, very nice shotguns!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: wh20crazy
37's are great guns!

Very under-rated. But a couple of my friends in HS back in the '80s had those. And they were very, very nice shotguns!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Christmas of '77 my dad gave my brothers and I new model 37's. After shooting them, he bought a used one for himself. I have his now. I killed a few deer and a bunch of squirrels with mine. Now it's my trap gun.

I have 353 rounds through this versamax. Run 1oz. Rio's or 3 1/2" goose loads. It cycles everything.
The loads that most semi-autos have trouble with are the 24g or 7/8oz target loads that most people shooting trap and skeet will use (besides ATA trap and their fat 1 1/8oz loads). Some semi-autos will shoot them, others won't, even among the same model of semi-auto shotgun. My Beretta A300 can handle 7/8oz and 24g target loads without issues, but I know of 2 other people with A300's that can't do anything less than 1oz loads. I've only shot one Versamax and that one required at least 3 dram 1oz loads to cycle, even just 2.75 dram 1oz loads wouldn't.

All I'm saying is that the O/U will never care what kind of load you stick in it so long as it's the proper gauge and not heavy enough to burst the action. That's one of the big advantages they have, IMO, over semis for trap and skeet specifically (sporting clays it doesn't really matter since everyone also shoots 1 1/8oz there going hella fast). No need to worry about if your gun is one of the lucky ones that will cycle everything or not.

The loads that most semi-autos have trouble with are the 24g or 7/8oz target loads that most people shooting trap and skeet will use (besides ATA trap and their fat 1 1/8oz loads). Some semi-autos will shoot them, others won't, even among the same model of semi-auto shotgun. My Beretta A300 can handle 7/8oz and 24g target loads without issues, but I know of 2 other people with A300's that can't do anything less than 1oz loads. I've only shot one Versamax and that one required at least 3 dram 1oz loads to cycle, even just 2.75 dram 1oz loads wouldn't.

All I'm saying is that the O/U will never care what kind of load you stick in it so long as it's the proper gauge and not heavy enough to burst the action. That's one of the big advantages they have, IMO, over semis for trap and skeet specifically (sporting clays it doesn't really matter since everyone also shoots 1 1/8oz there going hella fast). No need to worry about if your gun is one of the lucky ones that will cycle everything or not.

Point taken. My local store only carries 1 and 1 1/8oz loads. I know a guy who loads 7/8oz loads, but I don't see them available commercially, so i haven't tried them.

I bought the versamax to step down from my 10ga side by sides for goose hunting. I wanted more capacity for hunting and don't enjoy hand loading shotgun shells. It meets those requirements, but has nowhere near the style of any side by side.

For auto go beretta and Bennelli! Old 870 wing master for pump!

For my money the king of the pumps is the Browning BPS. Made much better than current Mossbergs or Remingtons.

Lots of Benelli love, which I get, but I do a fair amount of waterfowl hunting and on 0 degree days I have noticed more Benelli failures than gas guns. Might be sticky lube/user error but that’s what I’ve seen. I shoot a cheap Beretta A300 Outlander, can beat it up without feeling depressed and had been super reliable.

IF I have to bring a Benelli to the fight it will be my M4 14" Entry.
IF I have to bring a Mossberg M590A1 it will my fat ass 14" shorty POS.
IF I find myself conflicted between semi-auto & pump.....I'll bring the Franchi SPAS 12.
How about a trashy 870 Wilson Combat 14" with Vang Comp ported barrel?
Regardless of the gauge, I'm not bringing the O/U Browning Citori's to the fight.

View attachment 7175182View attachment 7175183View attachment 7175184View attachment 7175194View attachment 7175196View attachment 7175199

View attachment 7175208View attachment 7175209

View attachment 7175212

I have tried a Franchi SPAS 12 (a UK wooden stoked version) and to be honest, not overly impressed, too heavy, but each to their own.

What about ksg or an aa-12?

*Ducks*

The original AA-12 was full auto, where would you you buy an AA-12 even in the good ole USA are they not military / police only? (Texas maybe?). Also, thought they they were very expensive. They do look a fantastic piece of kit though! Having just looked on YouTube, it would appear that these are now available in semi-auto (but not for us in the UK):

21” M2 is hard to beat for a GP shotgun!

A guy who beats most semi-auto shooters in IPSC competition, using a pump, just posted his latest pump build:
Benelli SuperNova with barrel cut down to 21", and new internal threads at the muzzle. Benelli M2 Compact buttstock (20mm shorter than original). Benelli +3 extension and Innovatac medium spring.

Capacity is not too good for IPSC competition but works for the "tactical games" we have. Works for wing shooting too, with the right chokes.

SuperNova21.jpg

Very nice looking shotgun.Do you know any good gunsmiths for cutting and rethread on the barrel ?

Reactions: perttime
I have a Benelli Vinci that is the nicest shooting shotgun I have ever owned or hunted with but it definitely doesn’t win in the looks dept.

Very nice looking shotgun.Do you know any good gunsmiths for cutting and rethread on the barrel ?
The one I posted is from an IPSC World Champion in Finland, Northern Europe. He got it done by a local gunsmith. You need a competent gunsmith for that. And you need good judgement to ensure you have enough material for rethreading.

Reactions: Moose
Just need an old M97. It can slam fire, hold a bayonet, and looks mean as hell in the process.

Is it a bad thing that I can remember being issued one of these to stand watch on the TOC? (circa 1989)

LOL! They even still had the long assed bayonet.
JMO, it's not that you are old, but that sometimes, the gun myths have reached unbelievable heights. Yeah, MP's had shotguns when I was in (circa 1981-85), but I always ask, "How effective could they be?" They hold seven rounds vs. thirty (M16) and they have a reach of less than 100 yds. vs 300-500 of the M16. As far as a devastating hit, the M16 was every bit as nasty as a shotgun. While at close range one hit from the shotgun tore up a wider area (like seven -ten M16 hits) within 25m, you could still get thirty hits from a M16 at that range. Either would incapacitate a perp if they tried to get what you were guarding. And, you had a lot of rounds left over.

I know some people swear up and down we should issue more shotguns, but from a practical standpoint, they are about useless. The only thing I ever saw them good for in a combat situation was when you wanted to take a prisoner, they could knock the hell out of someone with a less than lethal round. But, if I wanted what you're guarding and I have a rifle and you have a shotgun, I'm going to take you out past shotgun range, then assault. They just don't have the value in combat that people think or say they do. This topic is pretty high up on my "gun-myth" list that needs light shown on it.

Last edited:
@sandwarrior guess MPs will always have good stories floating around. When I was at Ft. Campbell in the late 90’s and we started getting out interceptor body armor to take to Kosovo with us. Couple days later we all got the talk about please don’t use your body armor to see if it will stop your issued sidearm. Apparently two MPs got bored and took turns shooting at each other one night to see how it worked. IIRC, it didn’t the out very well for one of them.

NOT what original poster wants, but...
Anyone who mentions "cheap" when purchasing a firearm is an idiot! I think they never heard of the words quality, reliability or dependability!
I was surprised there was no mention of an FN SLP, which is what I was first looking for in a HD shotgun, however for some reason there were none available when I wanted one so I went with the similar, more expensive, qualitative Benelli M2 Tactical. Talk about smooooth...and the ComforTech stock makes it easy to handle this light and fast handling shotty. Although it is a shotty, the ghost ring sight is a plus!
Benelli M2 Tactical 001.JPG
Tru Lock Crio Tactical Breeching Choke.JPG

KISS system: Nordic BFB Bolt Handle and although I will not be breaching any doors or impaling any zombies, a Tru-Lock Crio Tactical Breaching Choke makes it look bad ass! :cool:

Rayyeti,

That's a nice looking shotgun with a badass looking brake. I've got a brake like that on one of my AR's and I've found it's pretty good at tearing up guncases. After a year or so of owning it (and getting frustrated at my torn up cases) I realized it ain't gonna do serious damage either. Mine has about 1/2" spikes and that's the extent it will go into a person. You'd have to be pretty lucky and catch an eyeball just right to do any serious damage. If you poked it straight into a guy, it's only gonna piss him off. In which case, you better be wearing your badass suit, or that rifle is going to end up in your own ass.

But, I love the thought of a spikey, scary muzzle brake. It does tend to intimidate those that haven't actually considered what they can't do. ;)

Added:
Klr,

Mossberg 500's have been doing everything a shotgun can do and they keep doing it. And, they are "cheap".

Rayyeti,

That's a nice looking shotgun with a badass looking brake. I've got a brake like that on one of my AR's and I've found it's pretty good at tearing up guncases. After a year or so of owning it (and getting frustrated at my torn up cases) I realized it ain't gonna do serious damage either. Mine has about 1/2" spikes and that's the extent it will go into a person. You'd have to be pretty lucky and catch an eyeball just right to do any serious damage. If you poked it straight into a guy, it's only gonna piss him off. In which case, you better be wearing your badass suit, or that rifle is going to end up in your own ass.

But, I love the thought of a spikey, scary muzzle brake. It does tend to intimidate those that haven't actually considered what they can't do. ;)

Added:
Klr,

Mossberg 500's have been doing everything a shotgun can do and they keep doing it. And, they are "cheap".

Thanks Sand Warrior,
I have not had a problem carrying my M2 with the muzzle brake in a Outdoor Connection soft carrying case, but you bring up a good point and will look around for some type of cap to place over it. I also have the same brake on my Sig 516 Patrol and have also carried it around in the same case and like I said, don't intend on doing any breaching of doors or impaling any zombies. :cool: Good shootin' to ya!

Reactions: sandwarrior
Benelli M2 will do it all. I have it's predecessor the M1 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60k through it. I shot trap, skeet, sporting clays, FITASC, hunted everything that flies and some things that don't, and more recently 3 gun matches with it I have replaced some springs along the way, but she keeps on chugging. I have 3 different barrels and 2 stock sets for it, they are very versatile and reliable guns. I'll post pics of the crusty old bastard if I get a chance. It's definitely been around the horn.

Pump guns are great, I love my old Wingmasters and My 590, but pump guns are a handicap in shotgun games.
So would you recommend the M1? I’ve got an opportunity on one that has barely ever been used. I’ve never been big on shotguns, but I’ve been wanting to start turkey hunting so would you say this would be a good option?

So would you recommend the M1? I’ve got an opportunity on one that has barely ever been used. I’ve never been big on shotguns, but I’ve been wanting to start turkey hunting so would you say this would be a good option?

I've had a M1 Super 90 for at least 25 years now (I think, somewhere in that ball park). It has been a great shotgun and I would highly recommend one, especially if can get one that is slightly used and get it for a good price. The shorter (18.5 "), tactical type barrels are somewhat hard to find though and aren't cheap, when you do.

Reactions: TheDalmore
i like autoloaders, inertia or gas, but i would prefer a gas driven one in a survival/standoff role where you might be injured and have to shoot one handed.

Between my dad, my brother, and myself, we've had excellent results from them.

Reactions: TheDalmore
I've found that an old 870 express magnum is satisfying to shoot and does everything. It's not amazingly at anything, but I've managed skeet, clays, and lots of playing around with it and never was too far out of place. They are sufficiently cheap and versatile that imo it's worth having one around.

Rayyeti,

Added:
Klr,

The break isn’t for poking people although you could. It’s a breacher brake so when shotgunning doors you don’t get a pressure spike and blow up your gun