• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on I-Pod as a Ballistics computer...

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    Recently I had a bunch of credit card awards points to burn and for some strange reason I decided to get an I-Pod Touch. So the thing comes in and I thought...what the hell I'll give it to my niece for X-mas since I have no use for the damn thing. Cant beat a free gift right?

Well I'm hunting around for a ballistics computer this AM and stumble across KAC's Ballistics App for the the I-pod which has me re-thinking giving this thing away so my question is...

1. How does the I-Pod Touch stack up as a ballistics computer? Performance in sunlight etc? Battery life?
    2. How many different Ballistics Apps are out there?
    3. Anyone using the KAC App? And do you like it?

OK...sure I'm the grinch that's' thinking of stealing a little girls I-Pod but ballistics clearly takes priority over Lady GaGa tunes
    grin.gif

Re: Opinions on I-Pod as a Ballistics computer...

use the search function. there are a lot of threads on it.

Saw the threads but not much info on the I-Pod itself as a practical field device. Don't really need info on the App so much, but I'll beat the crap out of the device so I need to know it will handle it.

This thing is free so I'm not opposed to using it but if there's something more rugged out there I wouldn't be shy about spending the extra cash.

Since the Itouch is not a phone, battery life is pretty much a function of how much you use it.

The Iphone and the Itouch are reasonably rugged. A case for them like the Otterbox Defender will give them a degree of protection as well as add some water resistance, while still allowing use in the field. I have one for my Iphone, and you can't go swimming with them, but I wouldn't hesitate to have it in my pocket while I was out in the rain.

For submersion, one of the fully waterproof Otterboxes or something similar would be what you want.

FWIW:

A buddy uses his I-Phone for the app. he likes it.

He seems to make hits out to about 800 meters very well (that is our longest clearcut "range").

BMT

I found some more info by changing the search tag and it pretty much mirrors what Lindy said. I just might have to hang on to this thing and just get my niece a Commando Barbie instead.

Speaking of which...there's a new Barbie out now..."Divorced" Barbie. She comes with all of Kens stuff
    laugh.gif

fwiw otterbox has an iphone 4 cover but not a ipod touch 4 cover, the new ones are thinner not sure how they would fit.They do have a nano 4th gen waterproof case, be nice for one onthe full size one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw otterbox has an iphone 4 cover but not a ipod touch 4 cover, the new ones are thinner not sure how they would fit.They do have a nano 4th gen waterproof case, be nice for one onthe full size one. </div></div>

I have already contacted Otterbox to bug them about iPod Touch 4G cases...they will be making them, but no timeframe is available. (Standard response from them, but they did at least acknowledge that it was in the works). The iPhone 4G cases won't work...I played with one at the shop the other day and my iPod Touch was swimming in it.

I think there's also another app called iSnipe. I think Ballistics is probably the best though.

i use the KAC BulletFlight on my iPhone,. and i love it. the Otterbox's help alot but if your just using it at the range you dont really need it.

get the girl something useful like socks or something
    laugh.gif

I think I'll wait on the otter boxes to be available. I have one for my laptop andf it once took a 4 ft drop onto concrete with no damage.

I picket up the KAC program and HOLY CRAP was I figuring things out the hard way. This almost makes shooting too easy. I might check out FTE as well and see what I like better. Time to find a new present for my niece...this thing is MINE
    grin.gif

I run an Otterbox case for my iPhone 3G. It's saved it numerous times. The last time I removed the phone from the Otterbox it was pristine. I can't tell you how many times it's bounced across the pavement. My wife even slammed hers in the hatch of the Durango.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Where is Ballistic FTE available? </div></div>

http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/ OR Search Ballistic Field Tactical Edition on iTunes.

Ballistic FTE is the way to go. It's in Itunes apps. I love the Iphone/Itouch, I have both. If they had the Itouch 4 out when I bought mine I would have just stuck with that. Its so much more useful than just a ballistic application. The Otterbox is a must. If they don't have one for the Itouch yet, I would get some sort of protection. My wife is death on her stuff, you would think hanging out in Iraq would be more dangerous to an Itouch than my wifes purse, but that is just not the case. I was shooting over the summer and left the Itouch in the sun for a while the screen went black and I couldn't use it until it cooled off. The battery life is pretty good, but I would adjust the brightness so that its not on its brightest setting. I have never run out of battery juice while shooting. I usually run out because I am messing around with it while I am waiting. I really can't list all the tools I use the Iphone for besides music, phone and ballistic application. I like having both because I use my Itouch as a back up for my Iphone.

Got to play with both apps today for a few hours. With my limited experience it seems like the KAC app is far more user friendly and simpler to operate. Within 10 minutes I had 2 rifles plugged in and everything was up and running with dope matching what I've experienced in the field.

The FTE was a bit more difficult to figure out. Screens weren't as intuitive and it was difficult to determine what to do next, and how some of the features worked. There are definately more features with the FTE.

It almost seems as if the simplicity of the KAC would be a benefit to the warfighter in a stressful situation. I'm confident that I could use the KAC app tomorrow at 1000+ yds with success but I feel that I've yet to achieve anywhere near that same level of confidence with the FTE. Maybe my opinion will change with more time with these apps.

Its too bad the Iphone/touch has an internal battery that can not be easily swapped out. I doubt you will find many USB ports in the field to re-charge from either.

I would suggest the Otterbox Armor case if you want a hard-use case. I have one and the thing is a tank, waterproof to something like 3 feet, impact proof (dropped from my jacket sleeve pockets to concrete without any damage to the iPod whatsoever.

If you get a 3rd gen iPod (one gen older than the current one, shouldn't have a dot centered above the screen)the Armor is the way to go for a field use device.

I actually found Ballistic FTE was very easy to use. I thought the HUD display was particularly useful. I started with the "Trajectory" screen and then the "HUD". I expanded after that, but those two screens in their basic format will do most of what you would expect a ballistic application to do. I am sure there are things I still features haven't discovered, but I have not had any problems with the application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its too bad the Iphone/touch has an internal battery that can not be easily swapped out. I doubt you will find many USB ports in the field to re-charge from either. </div></div>

If you are mounted you have your vehicle. They make adaptors for both AC and DC current. They make solar chargers and back up battery packs that use standard AA batteries. I was amazed at the power options that are available, but you do have to plan ahead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are mounted you have your vehicle. They make adaptors for both AC and DC current. They make solar chargers and back up battery packs that use standard AA batteries. I was amazed at the power options that are available, but you do have to plan ahead. </div></div>

There are a TON of backup power options for the iPhones/iPod Touch units. Now, I grant you that none of them may be a small/compact or easy as a quick battery swap, but it is not a problem that can't be overcome. There are some new high-capacity external battery devices that boost the iPhone and iPod Touch units from a 7-8hr battery life (contin. use) to 50+ HOURS (they are about the size of a small GPS unit and plug directly in to the devices)!! Also, as I have found with mine, depending on the level of use and what programs/functions you are running, the battery life is outstanding. About 3 hours of repeated use of mine at the range did not reduce the battery power more than 10-15% or so and that was while also using other functions/programs during that time. Also, by adjusting some of the settings like the auto-off, brightness, turn off the Wi-Fi adapter, etc., you can further extend the battery life even longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a TON of backup power options for the iPhones/iPod Touch units. Now, I grant you that none of them may be a small/compact or easy as a quick battery swap, but it is not a problem that can't be overcome. There are some new high-capacity external battery devices that boost the iPhone and iPod Touch units from a 7-8hr battery life (contin. use) to 50+ HOURS (they are about the size of a small GPS unit and plug directly in to the devices)!! Also, as I have found with mine, depending on the level of use and what programs/functions you are running, the battery life is outstanding. About 3 hours of repeated use of mine at the range did not reduce the battery power more than 10-15% or so and that was while also using other functions/programs during that time. Also, by adjusting some of the settings like the auto-off, brightness, turn off the Wi-Fi adapter, etc., you can further extend the battery life even longer. </div></div>

That and It doesn't seem like a device that needs to be on but for more than a few minutes at a time. I must have played with mine for 3 hours yesterday and the battery was still full. I would think in a tactical or hunting situation that once you get your dope for your field of fire, you're going to turn it off anyway. The only thing that may change is atmospherics but you're likely to hold for those changes anyway.

I've got an external battery that plugs into my iPhone, but it's a pain to use. I have to take the phone out of the Otterbox, because the battery plugs into the phone and the plug-in isn't long enough to clear the Otterbox and still connect.
    I've looked for a short power cord soI can plug the battery into the female end and the phone into the male end, with no luck.

Anybody seen one or know where I can buy one?

/thread hijack

I've got Ballistic FTE and like it, haven't tried the KAC though.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest you look at Ballistic FTE instead of the KAC Bulletflight App. I have both and much prefer Ballistic.
    </div></div>

Interesting. I had BFTE and bought BulletFlight L2 (there are 3 versions i think). Personally I prefer BulletFlight. Here's why.

FTE is basically a computer based ballistic table producer. It is great in that you can dial in current conditions and the 'table' is updated.

The 'flaw' for what I am doing is that I go to all the trouble setting up the current conditions but when I use the HUD I either still have to interpolate for exact ranges OR set up the table in the first place with small range increments which means lots of scrolling. Seems daft to me, the computer should take the strain.

BulletFlight lets me set up the current atmospheric conditions then just plug in the exact range and wind as the shot presents itelf and I get an 'exact' solution. I find this gets shots down the range much quicker.

BF does not have range logs, target and zero data but that isn't for me. FTE remembers zero conditions which is great.

If FTE had a HUD like the BF Calculate Ballistics screen i woudl go back. Otherwise you pay your money and take your choice....

The new version of FTE solves for exact solutions. The desired range is entered as a negative number in the "Max range" field on the trajectory screen. It then gives you the exact solution.

I assume with the Ipod, many of the ballistic features will not work, like the GPS, Angle etc ?

All those features work on either an Ipod Touch or Iphone. I don't think it will run with just a plain Ipod.

It works with the Itouch. I have both. If they had the Itouch 4 out when I bought my Iphone, I would have bought the Itouch 4 and not worried about the Iphone. The GPS will only work when you have WiFi connection. The Iphone has the 3G coverage so you can use that feature more places. The Itouch 4 is a significant improvement over the older Itouch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm confident that I could use the KAC app tomorrow at 1000+ yds with success </div></div>

thats exactly what i did my first time out at my new club that has a 1000yd steel target.

this was with my M82a1 shooting XM33 & my Remy 700 5R in .300WM shooting 220gr SMK's. both got first round hits on steel.

at this range you basically shoot UP the side of a mountain,. its a big help that the KAC app "gets" the angle for you with a push of a button.

however i learned the hard way the 1000 yrd solution does not help much for 1026yrd targets,.. there where ten .50 inch holes 18 inches down from my point of aim on the "crazy bones" terriorist target we put out there,.. i never even thought of ranging the target to get the exact distance.

i could have easily done that with the KAC app too,..

Make your own printable range cards easy with iPhone, create the card you want in the app, then press the two buttons on iPhone that allow you to take a photo of what is shown on the screen, then you can load the photo to your computer or send by email to computer, then you can size the image to your needs from business card size to 8x10, then can print it, laminate or cover with clear packing tape, this works great, can even make double sided cards for different loads, I've tried 2 of the 3 versions of KAC Bulletflight app., the intro version [$3.99] and the mid-priced one [$11.99], both work well just get more options on the later, there is a higher priced version also [$29.99], best buy is the mid priced one, anyprinting questions, let me know,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carsonpass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make your own printable range cards easy with iPhone, create the card you want in the app, then press the two buttons on iPhone that allow you to take a photo of what is shown on the screen, then you can load the photo to your computer or send by email to computer, then you can size the image to your needs from business card size to 8x10, then can print it, laminate or cover with clear packing tape, this works great, can even make double sided cards for different loads, I've tried 2 of the 3 versions of KAC Bulletflight app., the intro version [$3.99] and the mid-priced one [$11.99], both work well just get more options on the later, there is a higher priced version also [$29.99], best buy is the mid priced one, anyprinting questions, let me know, </div></div>

Any way to print range cards from a I-Touch? (gen 4)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest you look at Ballistic FTE instead of the KAC Bulletflight App. I have both and much prefer Ballistic.
    </div></div>

Same here. Ballistic is much better than KAC.

setting mine up now.

Iphone 3GS
    Ballistic FTE
    otterbox defender

also added surefire shot timer app

might camo the otterbox when i do the rest of my gear and rifle so it matches lol

I never thought of printing my own range cards,.. I just tried taking a picture of it and emailing to myself and it worked great. I wish I had a way to hook up a printer & laptop in my truck so I can print off a range card when I pull up to my range.

There is more than one ballistic program which uses the JBM ballistic engine - but none that I know of from JBM itself.

I downloaded the JBM app from the iPhone store yesterday. They have two versions. I got the cheaper one for 3.99 and it looks like it has about everything on it and is fairly similar to the version online.

I just looked it up. Maybe I am a little confused. I searched for "ballistic" and it came up with an icon that is titled ballistic, but it also says JBM on it. I guess I was wrong. It is the one you all have been talking about. But when I saw the JBM icon it it, I thought it was a JBM program. I guess it uses the jbm engine.

sorry about that.

It looks like the iTouch works similar to an iPhone so you should be able to press the round button on the front at the bottom at the same time you press the main on/off button on the top edge, after about 1 second you will hear a shutter sound or see the screen go blink quickly as the device take a photo of whatever you have on your screen. Then the photo can be viewed in your photographs. From there you can load it in to your computer as one of your photos and then size it as needed to print it as a range card. This is a neat feature that has many uses; anything that is showing on your screen can be save as one of your photos. Try it and see how easy it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSU- SEC Rules</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a kingmaker </div></div>

I'd like ya better if you where a king cake maker instead. (I'm from New Orleans)

I am not a kingmaker or a king cake maker. I just stayed at a holliday inn last night and listened to howard stern