• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have basically stopped tipping, and its paying off.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I'm sure a lot of you have noticed the paradigm shift in the last 2-3 years where literally everything has one (or multiple) tip jars hanging around and you're being physically asked for a tip, sometimes multiple different ways, during a transaction.

Well, my response to this over-saturation of bullshit when comparing it to the average level of service and abysmal decline in IQ, while at the same time noticing a drastic increase in the ability to just fuck everything up, all of the time, is to simply not fucking tip anyone unless they do something rather spectacular to actually earn it.

Apparently this is something they count on as well at this point. Went to a cafe/bakery with the wife this past weekend. The dumb as fuck girl working the counter at this hoity toity place (where she says perfect! after any coherent thing you say, because that is apparently the 1 word her brain allows her to save for use at any time) decided to not only physically fucking mention the tip jar to me after assuming that doing 11.3 seconds of work that involved filling a coffee cup and handling a pastry that someone else made merited that; but then tapped her key on the checkout screen and stood there staring at it while she waited to see how much of an awesome tip I was leaving her. How do I know this? Her demeanor and the look on her face went from feeling successful because she remembered she still had $17 in her checking account and wasn't over-drafted as usual to realizing that I had just drank her soul with the straw she had given me. Tasty.

Sorry jobbers, that tip you were counting on because 'thats how we've always done it' has gone into my OnlyFans piggy bank or something. Or Ill just keep it and go swimming in it like Scrouge McDuck, or rub it on my balls or something more useful than giving it to you. I don't know - you're just not getting any of it, so whatever. Which by the way, why is it that whenever I ever give money to anyone 30 and under, I always just feel like I'm funding vape, and failure? It's like knowingly funding terrorism, but for people who are too stupid to actually be terrorists?

But don't be mad at me!

It's really your fault. When you got bold enough that a simple, modest tip jar wasn't enough and instead, you needed to make them the giant pretzel barrel size and put multiples of them in multiple areas (like they cant be fucking seen from the parking lot), you just flew too close to the sun. Ironically, you wont get that reference because, well, you're stupid. Then doubling down and setting up your fancy iPad credit card thing to, by default, leave you a 20% tip, has me where we're at right now - you get nothing, and you're going to fucking love it. But lets be honest for a second; you really just do the bare minimum on average and even then, you still completely suck at like everything the rest of the time. Were you born 50-75 years ago you would have been eaten by a bear or fallen into a mineshaft already.

I need you to embrace the fact that before I even see you, or ignore how you say 'perfect!' to anything I fucking say while we both know that you're brain is still loading at 37% trying to put together the 3 simple tasks I just gave you, that I have already determined that you are not getting shit from me. Nothing. Zero. Nada. It's like a trophy for me at this point that has already given me visions of making an app to keep track of how much tip cash you fucked a millennial out of, with leader-boards and monthly contests.

I bite my thumb at you, poors!

Last edited:
    1651684882796.jpeg

I have to say, I was a rabid over-tipper in the past...

Steve Martin in My Blue Heaven, it's not tipping I believe in, but over tipping....

That changed recently and I mentally noted it Saturday, we went to lunch, food was ok, not awesome, but not bad, service was slow and a bit disorganized, but friendly, so when I finished and added in the tip I basically just rounded it up, completely out of character for me.

When I thought about it more, it was about 10%, like just 10% and for me, it felt wrong, but it was actually perfect.

Very few places or servers rate overtipping anymore

I wish I could like your post multiple times. And I applaud you for standing up to these idiots expecting handouts everywhere you turn.

People also say "perfect" way to much here and I want to punch them in the throat. They so say "I feel like" when the subject at hand literally has nothing to do with feelings. And fuck their feelings anyway. I could not care less.

I too have stopped automatically tipping. They have to earn it. A waiter or waitress brings me out undercooked, wrong, or just plain shit food they get no tip. They have as much to do with making sure my order is to my satisfaction as the person cooking it. They should know when to not serve subpar food.

i thought everyone was getting some sort of living wage these days? are we not doing that? Did Karl Marx ever tip, certainly didnt overtip. BUt it wasnt really his money, now was it?

I have my regular establishment where I definitely over tip. However, many times the order has been wrong (just a smidge) and I get that order and the real order free. However, this is the only place I overtip. Because since 2008 when a vast majority of the "service industry" helped issue in this new Marxist government by voting for the current president, barack husein obama, I decided I'd no longer tip well if it's not a regular establishment. 10%...that's more than enough. Don't like it...go to school and get educated either in "Vo-Tech" or "university" . We're, as a country, strongly needing REAL "vo-tech" type workers - electrical techs, computer techs, etc.

Tip jars? Hell no!

Servers? My Blue Heaven. Don't care if good or bad. Tipping says more about me than the service. But it's a free country and you can tip as you like. I married a waitress who's now the GM of a restaurant, so I'm biased as well. Her girls pay their mortgages based on tips, not the offensive hourly pay they receive. And the .Gov gets all of it. Practically no one tips cash these days and all the CC tips are taxed the same as your paycheck.

Ironically, the best method of increasing the wage for service industry workers is to eliminate tipping. Employers count on customers kicking in a significant portion of their employees' income in the form of a tip. This artificially suppresses the average wage in the market. A potential side benefit of eliminating tipping is that service could actually improve. What? Yeah, shocking, I know. But, if you pay someone more than $2.13 an hour, you will get better employees...

I always appreciate the ones that put cash from the register into the tip jar to make it look like I'm some abnormal scrooge who won't tip

I had some chick do that once too. Took my cash, register drawer was open, she counted a few things and then put like 3-4 singles into the tip jar.

I was like...so you can just steal money out of the register whenever you want? lol

I had some chick do that once too. Took my cash, register drawer was open, she counted a few things and then put like 3-4 singles into the tip jar.

I was like...so you can just steal money out of the register whenever you want? lol
    Goes both ways, apparently. I had a buddy in high school that was a server at a local mexican restaurant. The register till was chronically low on cash- the owner must have cleaned it out every time it got above a few bucks. The servers were expected to make change for customers from their tips, with the 'promise' that they would be paid back at the end of the night. That rarely (if ever) happened. He didn't last long at that restaurant.

This was almost 30 years ago, when people were much more likely to pay for meals and tips all in cash.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    For the non-tippers, do you go back to the same place often?

If you go to a place fairly regularly, leave a nice tip.

If you send a dish back, never take a bite from what is returned.
    Yeah, if you cannot actually see your food being prepared, tip early, tip often...

Reactions: BreisV
    Ironically, the best method of increasing the wage for service industry workers is to eliminate tipping. Employers count on customers kicking in a significant portion of their employees' income in the form of a tip. This artificially suppresses the average wage in the market. A potential side benefit of eliminating tipping is that service could actually improve. What? Yeah, shocking, I know. But, if you pay someone more than $2.13 an hour, you will get better employees...

Right, but this is a whole different animal.

The chick at the coffee counter isn't on 3$/hour+ tips. She's making whatever her hourly deal is, which is higher. Fuck, some of these tards are making 15$/hour to make you horrible coffee.

Now they're wanting that plus the tip all for the fantastic privilege of providing way less service and capability than 10 years ago.

In Europe, the service is knowingly awful. When Americans visit Germany its always hilarious to take them out to dinner or a cafe and watch them get angry about the total lack of service to the point that you think they're fucking with you. The waiter/waitress will show up once at the beginning to ask about drinks. Then on the return of drinks, take your order. Next time you see them there will be food. Next time after that it'll be when they have the check that they expect you to pay right then and there while they fucking stand there. That's it.

Go to a McDonald's in Germany and you'll get 1 ketchup packet and how dare you ask for a second. Order a coffee at a cafe, oh, thats the price per cup because there are no refills.

But we've come to expect that there. They get paid whatever they get paid. We don't tip them unless they do something seriously awesome and thats that. They're also not putting tip jars in my face and expecting a 20% tip for breathing.

I've seen tip jars in the last 6 months at an ACE Hardware, a tire store, multiple drive thru type places, a dry cleaner and the customer service desk at a grocery store. Fuck all of those people.

I was at a Torchy's Tacos before covid, placed my order, and paid with a card. I put a 0% tip on the card, because I planned to give her a cash tip. But, she saw the receipt and made a big deal about it to her co-worker.

It was something like-
    "Whoo Shaniqua. Girlfrienn you just missed out on a 20% tip."
    "Whah, lemme see... Bitch, that says 0. Stop trippin."

Saved me some cash. Weird, but I haven't seen them since...

Reactions: Aftermath

The chick at the coffee counter isn't on 3$/hour+ tips. She's making whatever her hourly deal is, which is higher. Fuck, some of these tards are making 15$/hour to make you horrible coffee.

Now they're wanting that plus the tip all for the fantastic privilege of providing way less service and capability than 10 years ago.

In Europe, the service is knowingly awful. When Americans visit Germany its always hilarious to take them out to dinner or a cafe and watch them get angry about the total lack of service to the point that you think they're fucking with you. The waiter/waitress will show up once at the beginning to ask about drinks. Then on the return of drinks, take your order. Next time you see them there will be food. Next time after that it'll be when they have the check that they expect you to pay right then and there while they fucking stand there. That's it.

Go to a McDonald's in Germany and you'll get 1 ketchup packet and how dare you ask for a second. Order a coffee at a cafe, oh, thats the price per cup because there are no refills.

But we've come to expect that there. They get paid whatever they get paid. We don't tip them unless they do something seriously awesome and thats that. They're also not putting tip jars in my face and expecting a 20% tip for breathing.

I've seen tip jars in the last 6 months at an ACE Hardware, a tire store, multiple drive thru type places, a dry cleaner and the customer service desk at a grocery store. Fuck all of those people.
    Jesus H Fucking Christ The German eats at FUCKING MICKYDS when you are in Germany?!?!?!?WTF

Point 1. Yeah, I travel for work, and make it a point to look up the service wages in the state where I am traveling. I don't tip at all in CA or other "high min wage" states.

Service in Germany- Sounds like my ideal place. Fuck a bunch of hovering busy bodies while I am eating or having a conversation. But 2 can play that game. They can stand there with the check in their hand as long as they like.

On the very odd occasion, we'll order a pizza here. There are a few different places in this town, where the 'za is good, but they are too far away from our home for delivery. So we pre-order, then go pick it up at the appropriate time.

We don't tip. All they did was make the 'za and put it in the box. WE drove there in our own vehicle on our own time. Their tip jar sitting there is kinda ridiculous.

At the same time, I have been in a few different stores looking for a specific item and/or asking some serious/in-depth questions about certain products and such. For those who've given me/us great service, I have tipped them, right there in the aisle. Not the industry norm, nor the expectation, BUT they did do well and performed above average. That effort deserved a recognition.

The funniest situation for me though, was some years ago I was at Cabela's with My Lady and we were looking at upgrading our vacuum food-sealer from the SHIT/CRAP version that we'd had, to one of their better offerings. (our garbage was not bought from Cabela's to begin with) While there, we were looking at/checking out the different models and sizes and such, and seeing which was best for us.

Another gentleman came up to us, and asked what we thought. We explained to him, that which we'd been doing for a number of years now, and that we wanted to upgrade our system/process and 'this is why...' and such. We also explained to him all of the 'this is what we want to avoid and why....' and such too.

He picked up a box of the model that we were looking at, (the best option in our opinion) and then also jammed 40 bucks into my shirt pocket and said "THANK YOU, put this towards your purchase too. You saved me AT LEAST THAT AMOUNT in all that you two had just shared."

We truly weren't expecting that AT ALL, and tried to hand it back to him but he would have 'none of it'.

Of course, we 'paid it forward' and still do. Thing is though,,,, I feel that everything I described above is essentially the summation of what tipping is, is for, and all that. Not just a fashion, habit, OR requirement.

Oh yeah, never buy anything that rhymes with PoodZaver. I'm just sayin'....

Jesus H Fucking Christ The German eats at FUCKING MICKYDS when you are in Germany?!?!?!?WTF

The one and only time was the last time I was there and we were coming from the airport and literally everything was closed. Germans still don't get the 'dont have bankers hours on everything' idea on business hours.

Anyways, into the McDonald's we went. The irony was not lost on us.

Ordered whatever, got fries with it. Started walking away and realized I got this weird looking packet of ketchup; it was a single packet, but was like a 'double size' one or something. Turned around and forgot how fucking weird German's are about you getting what you get and thats what you get. Asked for more ketchup. The 2 women behind the counter looked at me like I had just pulled my dick out.

Right as I asked for more ketchup I knew exactly what was about to happen; I was just too Americanized to have remembered beforehand.

I got my extra ketchup, which I'm sure someone had to write up a report and call corporate about afterwards, and then both my mother and aunt were laughing their asses off when I walked to the table because they both knew exactly what had happened.

The difference is in Germany, they expect no tip and I expect them to be a bunch of dicks that do the bare minimum. In the US, they're a bunch of dicks that do the bare minimum who expect 20%.

It still amazes me how many people think working at a coffee shop / fast food / whatever is a good long term plan for income. If it's going to be your life profession at least do it well but I've never felt like these employees give my order complete or focused attention let alone made with pride.

Now I have gotten that feeling at Chik Fil A

Wow...all this talk of a tip jar...I should put one on my desk at work but the cheap son of a ### that works in my office with me won't tip me I'm sure. That's what sucks working from home...ROFL!!!!

Seriously though, if I go back into the office, maybe I will put a nice big brandy snifter on my desk. :).

The cause of the week jar pisses me off. No! I don't want to donate my change to whatever the fuck you are collecting for.
    Those damn jars are everywhere.
    Hell, The butcher shop had a tip jar. I thought , Are you guys fucking kidding me?
    At the price of meat and Groceries. I sure as hell, am not tipping anybody for food . I paid full price for !

Reactions: Grey Kiwi
    It still amazes me how many people think working at a coffee shop / fast food / whatever is a good long term plan for income. If it's going to be your life profession at least do it well but I've never felt like these employees give my order complete or focused attention let alone made with pride.

Now I have gotten that feeling at Chik Fil A
    it's across the board.

I've always lived in colonial-era stone houses. I'm now in my 4th one, built in 1770. this house has stood firm against the elements for 250 years, and might stand for another 250 years if the march of "progress" doesn't deliberately knock it down. People back then built with pride, they didn't tolerate halfassery, and they made products that lasted long after they died and "the warranty expired".

meanwhile, houses down the road, built 20 years ago with modern state of the art materials are falling down. builders charge a fortune, hire untrained illegals to swing a hammer, and skimp to save money while charging a premium. their work sucks, they have no sense of pride in their work, and it's expected.

Tipping has gotten a bit extreme lately but what pisses me off is being asked to donate at every damn business I go to for whatever pet cause they have that week. I have no issues with charity and regularly donate through our Church and the attached food bank but why should I have to add a dollar every time I get a cup of coffee or a taco.

I over tip, big time, for as long as I can remember. But I can't tell you how long it's been since we've sat down at a restaurant to eat a meal. We've been eating home cooked meals for the last 2.5 years. If we want to get something out, we go to the carry out and pick it up ourselves.

Our days of going to a finer restaurant are over. Not for being stingy but by design.

I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that I need you to embrace me. In fact, before I even see you, I think about your perfect hair.

I fucking say, while we both know that you're brain is still loading at 37% trying to put together the 3 simple tasks I just gave you, that I have already determined that you are not getting shit from me. Nothing. Zero. Nada. It's like a trophy for me at this point that has already given me visions of making an app to keep track of how much tip cash you fucked a millennial out of, with leader-boards and monthly contests.

I bite my thumb at you, poors!

*Your.
    Just sayin.

And, what's this stuff about embracing and perfect hair? Is there something you're not telling us? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, and yeah, you millennial shitwads get above minimum wage, so fuck your tip jar(s)

Waitresses get tips

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER

Wasn't that the overpriced coffee run?

The cause of the week jar pisses me off. No! I don't want to donate my change to whatever the fuck you are collecting for.
    Those damn jars are everywhere.
    Hell, The butcher shop had a tip jar. I thought , Are you guys fucking kidding me?
    At the price of meat and Groceries. I sure as hell, am not tipping anybody for food . I paid full price for !
    Now there's give to ukraine shit everywhere. Even fucking paypal has a banner about donating to ukraine. Fuck ukraine we are already "donating" billions.

The 20% automatically added to parties of six or more is the killer.

I have four kids and a wife. They try to sneak that shit onto the bill and leave a big, bold “Tip” line with a giant underscore at the bottom of the bill.

What’s worse is that they know the tip is automatically added, so servers don’t give a fuck when waiting on us.

I’m the type of son of a bitch to call over the manager, explain that I’ve been sitting in front of an empty glass since before the bread arrived and demand that take remove the goddamn tip.

Service is worse than ever and the expectation of gratuities continues to rise.

Service seems to get worse the more I tip. It's as if the server knows I'm going to leave a tip so she doesn't try as hard. Lately, I've gone from overtipping in hopes of getting great service to not leaving a tip at all.