• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have basically stopped tipping, and its paying off.

Newbs! 20 years ago I was on a date with a server, she was hot. At her restaurant Xmas party. I argued against tipping with the party goers. I was booed, hissed, things thrown at me. I held fast. Still got layed. And perma banned from a bar in town for 18years.

I’ve thought about doing the opposite. Instead of waiting till the end to tip, when I sit down I know roughly what I’m gonna tip. Put that on the table in ones. As the service degrades during the mail start taking dollars away. Whatever is left is what you earned.

And as for tipping people who literally take your order and give a drink and do nothing extra. Yeah fuck that. Not gonna happen.

Around here, restaurants (and I don't mean "fast food") pay the legal minimum, and the servers are basically dependent on tips.

My daughter had worked for a local company and made, hourly, in tips, as much as I do as a 20+ yr professional in IT Security. She could bring home as much from a Friday and Saturday night as I could in a week.

Without that, it wouldn't even be worth her time for gas.

I won't give much for shitty service, but if someone does their job, I will give them credit (i.e. cash)..

My last trip to central Europe, in 2018, spanned seven countries. I ate, only sit-down, order from menu, restaurants, and the service was super everywhere I went. Wait staff in Europe get paid a decent wage, I guess, there was nowhere to tip on the bill. Some places had superior service, so they got a cash tip. I was really impressed with the quality of food and service. We tried really hard to spend over $250 for the four of us and we couldn't do it, but we stayed out of high end restaurants. We stuck with smaller mom & pop shops, but some were really nice, still. In my neck of the woods, I have to spend $100 or more, for each person to get that kind of service and then the food would not be as good. That being said, I really scrutinize what I tip, now. If the service is mediocre, the tip is mediocre at best. Great service and food, gets a great tip. I won't give money away on a tip, ever again.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Always tip heavy especially eating at the same place all the time and you get to know all the servers. Then the servers started not to charge us for drinks so I would just add it to the tip for I don't want to take anything for free. I charge the food but I use cash for tips which the servers pool.

Reactions: Average guy
I ALWAYS tip....unless it's just a fucking tip jar. In that case, I keep my tip money. When the service is impeccable and the food outstanding, the tip reflects that. If the service and/or food is shitty or mediocre, I be sure to tip them a dime. This so they know that I did, in fact, tip them.

Reactions: PatMiles
I’ve thought about doing the opposite. Instead of waiting till the end to tip, when I sit down I know roughly what I’m gonna tip. Put that on the table in ones. As the service degrades during the mail start taking dollars away. Whatever is left is what you earned.

And as for tipping people who literally take your order and give a drink and do nothing extra. Yeah fuck that. Not gonna happen.
I had a co-worker that did just that. He laid the tip out on the table at the beginning of the meal and explained the deal to the server. It worked for him...

Circumstances determine tactics. I always tip handsomely at my regular sushi place. Food is incredible and fairly priced, wait staff are cute, fast and apparently telepathic, and the sashemi guy runs a blade in ways that would embarrass any surgeon. I always get a place somehow, even if there is a que out the door. Staff will literally pull me out of the que on sight, and say something like ‘you are late for your reservation Mr M, please come here’. There are worse things in life than getting dragged to your table by two hot Japanese girls.…

As for not tipping in places that don’t deserve, oh yes, that’s actually fun! Seeing the look on some priveliged millennials face, when they realise there ain’t a tip coming for them continuing to breathe, gives me more satisfaction than it probably should…

I ALWAYS tip....unless it's just a fucking tip jar. In that case, I keep my tip money. When the service is impeccable and the food outstanding, the tip reflects that. If the service and/or food is shitty or mediocre, I be sure to tip them a dime. This so they know that I did, in fact, tip them.
Exactly!

I was at a Torchy's Tacos before covid, placed my order, and paid with a card. I put a 0% tip on the card, because I planned to give her a cash tip. But, she saw the receipt and made a big deal about it to her co-worker.

It was something like-
"Whoo Shaniqua. Girlfrienn you just missed out on a 20% tip."
"Whah, lemme see... Bitch, that says 0. Stop trippin."

Saved me some cash. Weird, but I haven't seen them since...
Were you in DeSoto?

I had a co-worker that did just that. He laid the tip out on the table at the beginning of the meal and explained the deal to the server. It worked for him...

what's all this restaurants and bars and tipping stuff? i avoid all that to help fund my gun and shooting habit.

Reactions: LMTMWS
What I like is when they ask “do you want your change?” well it’s a $15 meal and I paid with a $100 so.....yeah. No tip for you when you ask for one, or I’ve had them just not come back with the change at all and I have to go up to them and get it. Yes I’m giving you a $85 tip for walking my food to me once and bringing my bill. Idiot.

Also have left cash wrote cash on the receipt and look later to see they charged a $40 tip to my card I didn’t authorize and act like I’m a dick for wanting the $40 back the next day.

What I like is when they ask “do you want your change?” well it’s a $15 meal and I paid with a $100 so.....yeah. No tip for you when you ask for one, or I’ve had them just not come back with the change at all and I have to go up to them and get it. Yes I’m giving you a $85 tip for walking my food to me once and bringing my bill. Idiot.

Also have left cash wrote cash on the receipt and look later to see they charged a $40 tip to my card I didn’t authorize and act like I’m a dick for wanting the $40 back the next day.
I always write a 0 in the tip place, and make sure I pull the balance down. If they add a tip after that, I’d talk trash to the owner about employees committing credit card fraud. Maybe end up eating there for free for the rest of my life

Reactions: Aftermath
I always write a 0 in the tip place, and make sure I pull the balance down. If they add a tip after that, I’d talk trash to the owner about employees committing credit card fraud. Maybe end up eating there for free for the rest of my life
I always fill my copy out the same as theirs they know what “cash” means when you write it. Also I make sure to hand them the tip, I’ll walk across the place or ask for someone to get them out if the back if they disappear rather than leave it on the table like most people do.

Also check my account the next day, that’s how I caught the other. Stupid thing is I lived across the road and they saw me all the time I quit going for a good while. They had a great happy hour too, dicks.

I tip the lady who cuts my hair good, she trims my beard “free” so she gets that money too. She also cusses at me which I find funny when there’s people waiting, so she gets paid for the entertainment also.

Circumstances determine tactics. I always tip handsomely at my regular sushi place. Food is incredible and fairly priced, wait staff are cute, fast and apparently telepathic, and the sashemi guy runs a blade in ways that would embarrass any surgeon. I always get a place somehow, even if there is a que out the door. Staff will literally pull me out of the que on sight, and say something like ‘you are late for your reservation Mr M, please come here’. There are worse things in life than getting dragged to your table by two hot Japanese girls.…

As for not tipping in places that don’t deserve, oh yes, that’s actually fun! Seeing the look on some priveliged millennials face, when they realise there ain’t a tip coming for them continuing to breathe, gives me more satisfaction than it probably should…
Was it these two?
1651702541873.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Clearlight
Around here, restaurants (and I don't mean "fast food") pay the legal minimum, and the servers are basically dependent on tips.

My daughter had worked for a local company and made, hourly, in tips, as much as I do as a 20+ yr professional in IT Security. She could bring home as much from a Friday and Saturday night as I could in a week.

Without that, it wouldn't even be worth her time for gas.

I won't give much for shitty service, but if someone does their job, I will give them credit (i.e. cash)..
She must be smoking hot.

It's gonna get to the point there will be a tip jar at the self checkout at wally world 😆

• Haha
Reactions: DeadAss
So, what I am getting here is @TheGerman is poor now, or the boss lady cut his allowance after the generator BS, and he cant afford to tip.

Any man worth his salt makes coffee at home and delivers his wife's favorite breakfast to her in bed once in a while, vs a crappy stale pastry at a crappy coffee shop.

And if you were there alone, you were clearly fappin to pics of Hair Gel in camo.

I'm sure a lot of you have noticed the paradigm shift in the last 2-3 years where literally everything has one (or multiple) tip jars hanging around and you're being physically asked for a tip, sometimes multiple different ways, during a transaction.

Well, my response to this over-saturation of bullshit when comparing it to the average level of service and abysmal decline in IQ, while at the same time noticing a drastic increase in the ability to just fuck everything up, all of the time, is to simply not fucking tip anyone unless they do something rather spectacular to actually earn it.

Apparently this is something they count on as well at this point. Went to a cafe/bakery with the wife this past weekend. The dumb as fuck girl working the counter at this hoity toity place (where she says perfect! after any coherent thing you say, because that is apparently the 1 word her brain allows her to save for use at any time) decided to not only physically fucking mention the tip jar to me after assuming that doing 11.3 seconds of work that involved filling a coffee cup and handling a pastry that someone else made merited that; but then tapped her key on the checkout screen and stood there staring at it while she waited to see how much of an awesome tip I was leaving her. How do I know this? Her demeanor and the look on her face went from feeling successful because she remembered she still had $17 in her checking account and wasn't over-drafted as usual to realizing that I had just drank her soul with the straw she had given me. Tasty.

Sorry jobbers, that tip you were counting on because 'thats how we've always done it' has gone into my OnlyFans piggy bank or something. Or Ill just keep it and go swimming in it like Scrouge McDuck, or rub it on my balls or something more useful than giving it to you. I don't know - you're just not getting any of it, so whatever. Which by the way, why is it that whenever I ever give money to anyone 30 and under, I always just feel like I'm funding vape, and failure? It's like knowingly funding terrorism, but for people who are too stupid to actually be terrorists?

But don't be mad at me!

It's really your fault. When you got bold enough that a simple, modest tip jar wasn't enough and instead, you needed to make them the giant pretzel barrel size and put multiples of them in multiple areas (like they cant be fucking seen from the parking lot), you just flew too close to the sun. Ironically, you wont get that reference because, well, you're stupid. Then doubling down and setting up your fancy iPad credit card thing to, by default, leave you a 20% tip, has me where we're at right now - you get nothing, and you're going to fucking love it. But lets be honest for a second; you really just do the bare minimum on average and even then, you still completely suck at like everything the rest of the time. Were you born 50-75 years ago you would have been eaten by a bear or fallen into a mineshaft already.

I need you to embrace the fact that before I even see you, or ignore how you say 'perfect!' to anything I fucking say while we both know that you're brain is still loading at 37% trying to put together the 3 simple tasks I just gave you, that I have already determined that you are not getting shit from me. Nothing. Zero. Nada. It's like a trophy for me at this point that has already given me visions of making an app to keep track of how much tip cash you fucked a millennial out of, with leader-boards and monthly contests.

I bite my thumb at you, poors!

Service has seemed to have sucked balls over the last few years, I’d default 20% tip, or a buck a drink, but the level of fuck ups or not even acknowledging folks is crazy high recently. Guess folks like making less 🤷‍♂️

meh, even as a poor, i still tip generously, but it costs me very little because i don't rely on other people's services very often.

Reactions: thejeep
I'm sure a lot of you have noticed the paradigm shift in the last 2-3 years where literally everything has one (or multiple) tip jars hanging around and you're being physically asked for a tip, sometimes multiple different ways, during a transaction.

Well, my response to this over-saturation of bullshit when comparing it to the average level of service and abysmal decline in IQ, while at the same time noticing a drastic increase in the ability to just fuck everything up, all of the time, is to simply not fucking tip anyone unless they do something rather spectacular to actually earn it.

Apparently this is something they count on as well at this point. Went to a cafe/bakery with the wife this past weekend. The dumb as fuck girl working the counter at this hoity toity place (where she says perfect! after any coherent thing you say, because that is apparently the 1 word her brain allows her to save for use at any time) decided to not only physically fucking mention the tip jar to me after assuming that doing 11.3 seconds of work that involved filling a coffee cup and handling a pastry that someone else made merited that; but then tapped her key on the checkout screen and stood there staring at it while she waited to see how much of an awesome tip I was leaving her. How do I know this? Her demeanor and the look on her face went from feeling successful because she remembered she still had $17 in her checking account and wasn't over-drafted as usual to realizing that I had just drank her soul with the straw she had given me. Tasty.

Sorry jobbers, that tip you were counting on because 'thats how we've always done it' has gone into my OnlyFans piggy bank or something. Or Ill just keep it and go swimming in it like Scrouge McDuck, or rub it on my balls or something more useful than giving it to you. I don't know - you're just not getting any of it, so whatever. Which by the way, why is it that whenever I ever give money to anyone 30 and under, I always just feel like I'm funding vape, and failure? It's like knowingly funding terrorism, but for people who are too stupid to actually be terrorists?

But don't be mad at me!

It's really your fault. When you got bold enough that a simple, modest tip jar wasn't enough and instead, you needed to make them the giant pretzel barrel size and put multiples of them in multiple areas (like they cant be fucking seen from the parking lot), you just flew too close to the sun. Ironically, you wont get that reference because, well, you're stupid. Then doubling down and setting up your fancy iPad credit card thing to, by default, leave you a 20% tip, has me where we're at right now - you get nothing, and you're going to fucking love it. But lets be honest for a second; you really just do the bare minimum on average and even then, you still completely suck at like everything the rest of the time. Were you born 50-75 years ago you would have been eaten by a bear or fallen into a mineshaft already.

I need you to embrace the fact that before I even see you, or ignore how you say 'perfect!' to anything I fucking say while we both know that you're brain is still loading at 37% trying to put together the 3 simple tasks I just gave you, that I have already determined that you are not getting shit from me. Nothing. Zero. Nada. It's like a trophy for me at this point that has already given me visions of making an app to keep track of how much tip cash you fucked a millennial out of, with leader-boards and monthly contests.

I bite my thumb at you, poors!
Next time she'll spit in your coffee.

Reactions: thejeep
I noticed post covid hysteria lot more places include a BS mandatory tip.

Normally they have shit service, and normally it’s less than my default 20%, so 🤷‍♂️

I tip... or not, depending on quality of food and service.

I don't tip the jars, unless I get 3¢ in change, and that's were it goes.

What pisses me off is the subliminal shit of trying to get you to tip. Example, bill total is $30.83, so I give them a $50 and $1 note, expecting to get a $20 note and loose change back. But nooo, they fill your hand with a bunch of $1 notes.

If they could see me do it, I'd walk back to the table where I left a $6 tip and replace that $5 note with a couple $1 notes.

I tip... or not, depending on quality of food and service.

I don't tip the jars, unless I get 3¢ in change, and that's were it goes.

What pisses me off is the subliminal shit of trying to get you to tip. Example, bill total is $30.83, so I give them a $50 and $1 note, expecting to get a $20 note and loose change back. But nooo, they fill your hand with a bunch of $1 notes.

If they could see me do it, I'd walk back to the table where I left a $6 tip and replace that $5 note with a couple $1 notes.
you sound like a brit when you call them notes instead of bills.

I have to say, I was a rabid over-tipper in the past...

Steve Martin in My Blue Heaven, it's not tipping I believe in, but over tipping....

That changed recently and I mentally noted it Saturday, we went to lunch, food was ok, not awesome, but not bad, service was slow and a bit disorganized, but friendly, so when I finished and added in the tip I basically just rounded it up, completely out of character for me.

When I thought about it more, it was about 10%, like just 10% and for me, it felt wrong, but it was actually perfect.

Very few places or servers rate overtipping anymore
Exactly. My wife and I both worked in restaurants or bars early on, we are both over-tippers (me even more than her), that has changed recently. In fact, service is regularly obnoxiously bad and the entitlement level abrasive (emojis and ratings beside percentages!?!). I have only very recently started tipping below 15%. Stuff like this is why-

I’ve been places where the default options start at 20%. I actually take the time to enter a custom amount and penalize them for the extra time. I have six kids and some places add 18% to the ticket upfront, what a joke. Charge me a $3.00 delivery charge on my pizza and then remind me how important tips are to your drivers. Maybe don’t steal them then… The net is making me more cynical than I ever thought I’d be.

Reactions: Lowlight
What does kinda bother me a little is the servers that disappear when it's time to bring the check (never understood why we call it that). I usually just total the meal off approx memory, add a little extra and then add a tip. Maybe they know I may leave more doing it that way?

What does kinda bother me a little is the servers that disappear when it's time to bring the check (never understood why we call it that). I usually just total the meal off approx memory, add a little extra and then add a tip. Maybe they know I may leave more doing it that way?

How about the ones that see you come in and sit down, and even though they're not busy, it still takes them 15-min to bring you a menu and glass of water.

We hit cracker barrel tonight. We were asked if we had left a tip at the table, due to no cash had not. A screen popped up on the card tablet with percentages showing equivalent dollar amounts for us to choose.

I would suggest laying out the cash after you have received your food. Unless you want to eat snot or something worse...

A lot of the blame is on these card processing software like Square that force you to take the extra step to select no tip on every little transaction.

IF I have to go to a counter and order food you dont deserve a tip.

only exception is if your food is fucking outstanding and your prices are low, I will tip what I think its worth because I want you to be a successful.

Otherwise tips are reserved for an actual sit down server who spent the time to make sure I had a great experience. A verbal tip for shitty service. 10% for ok. 20%+ for outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man
What annoys the hell out of me is everytime I'm paying with a card I get asked to tip. I have to search around for the skip option or 0, I then say out loud, why am I tipping you to do your job that you get paid an hourly wage for?

I only tip at restaurants and even then it's earned not just given out. I work hard and no one is tipping me for putting up with BS all day

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Here in Australia, minimum wage is about $21 an hour for adults, so not apples with apples > USA. Different tip expectations due to staff actually receiving income regardless of tips. Unfortunately as with many things, we seem to be following the expectation trend in the US regarding tipping.

How about the ones that see you come in and sit down, and even though they're not busy, it still takes them 15-min to bring you a menu and glass of water.
I would have been gone long before 10 min. I don't do supper at restaurants anymore; I don't have the patience for it.

I don't tip percentages. Does the gal at the fancy steak house work harder than the gal at the greasy spoon diner? Nope, same work, same service. They're lucky to see me tip over $10 for any service or bill size, pretty much would take them crawling under the table cloth to get more out of me. Base tip for me is $5 for a full meal service, $8 if it's me and the wife together, more if they're good but that's rare these days. That $5 tip ends up being 25% for breakfast at the diner, and 8-10% for dinner at the steak house. Both took my order, refilled my drink a time or two, brought my food and more often than not didn't even cash me out, that's what the cash register is for with the manager running that.

Simple scenario at a nice steak house. One hour of dinner service working four tables for two, each for an hour, we all have a $80 ticket. The 20% tip across four tables for that in one hour would be $64.

Now tell me, how many of you are pulling $64 or more an hour, and did you have to do more than remember which hand had the Dr Pepper vs Coke to earn that much? Did your waitress/waiter even get that much right?

Percentage tipping is bullshit.

My buddies and went to the World Expo in Vancouver, Can. 1979? We left heading east. Stopped in Nanaimo and visited a “Peeler Ber”. I sat up front by the dance pole. Enjoying my beer and watching a good dancer. I put a 5 dollar bill up on the stage, she looked down and saw the five and got a sour look on her face and never came back by me. I asked the guy next to me “what the heck?” He said” you asshole, we don’t tip here they get a percentage of the bar tab. You basically told her to take some dance lessons.” Over time I have learned to respect others peoples cultures.

I have to say, I was a rabid over-tipper in the past...

Steve Martin in My Blue Heaven, it's not tipping I believe in, but over tipping....

That changed recently and I mentally noted it Saturday, we went to lunch, food was ok, not awesome, but not bad, service was slow and a bit disorganized, but friendly, so when I finished and added in the tip I basically just rounded it up, completely out of character for me.

When I thought about it more, it was about 10%, like just 10% and for me, it felt wrong, but it was actually perfect.

Very few places or servers rate overtipping anymore
I had the experience today and I hit 15% , which was the lowest option to tip. After I did it,I really wanted to undo it. The little girl simply range me up and I took my food to go. Why should that be tipped??? I really don't like this menu screen trying to force a tip, and it WILL NOT be happening again without a real reason.

Many places now 'precalc' that 18/20/25% suggested tip AFTER tax is included in the total.

Always tip heavy especially eating at the same place all the time and you get to know all the servers. Then the servers started not to charge us for drinks so I would just add it to the tip for I don't want to take anything for free. I charge the food but I use cash for tips which the servers pool.
Yeah, that's called stealing and ripping off the owner who pays for it. It's a known trick and an offense that gets your fired if it's picked up on. Don't participate in that.

In her younger days my cousin was a waitress, but not a dancer, at a strip joint. It wasn't unusual for her to make $100/hr in tips.