• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on the new Maruger 336.

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
I had a late 60s era 336,but foolishly sold it back in the 90s. I've really been wanting another, but a clean 336 around that age is nearly $1k. Which is nuts since there's a bazillion of them out there.

From what I understand, the Henry's aren't nearly as slick as the old 336s, along with a lot of MiM parts.

All that in mind, the new Marlin LOOKS great. Classic design, real blueing, nice wood and checkering. All the early tests show it to be a winner.

What are the internals like? Did they cheap out, or is it quality, slick and fitted?
Opinions? Keep hunting an older 336 or go with the new Marlin/Ruger?

I had a late 60s era 336,but foolishly sold it back in the 90s. I've really been wanting another, but a clean 336 around that age is nearly $1k. Which is nuts since there's a bazillion of them out there.

From what I understand, the Henry's aren't nearly as slick as the old 336s, along with a lot of MiM parts.

All that in mind, the new Marlin LOOKS great. Classic design, real blueing, nice wood and checkering. All the early tests show it to be a winner.

What are the internals like? Did they cheap out, or is it quality, slick and fitted?
Had a chance to handle and shoot one, feels just like the old reliable. Ruger has really been knocking things out of the park these days, and the new ruger-marlin guns are no exception.

though if you're going to get a new marlin, I'd highly recommend the 45-70 models, since with the stronger parts and lockup you can really get some great performance out of them when handloading.

20230208_183344.jpg

Love mine but it's on the chopping block. Shoots great just found something else I want more.

I am rocking a older very early 2000’s 336W and would love to have a newer threaded version just so i could put a can on it. I would probably shoot mine more if i could shoot it suppressed.

Find you a 2011 or older model and be done with it. The older the better, but anything JM stamped will do. Learn the serial number system for the JM stamped stuff and just keep your eye out. I have attached the prefix charts for you. They will always be more desirable and easier to sell again. Look around and you will find one cheaper than 1K in good shape. I just picked up a 1980 336 in 35 Remington for quite a bit less than that.
4AE53E7B-A96F-45E2-A757-29F26A022CE9.jpeg
E7E625AB-3A87-4F5C-967E-5FD76B563E03.jpeg
E0D17D81-C8C4-42E4-BD4D-4EAE6A3A9118.jpeg
55C22B30-D8CD-4159-B60E-C5CCA4E7BE06.jpeg
23320EAF-CBD4-438E-B30D-2BF484217546.jpeg

Reactions: black5.3