• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optimum barrel lenght for .260 Remington?

viking78

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
FINLAND
www.youtube.com
One 28" Krieger blank coming next month.
1/8" 4 groove M24 contour.
My factory 20" CTR barrel is coming off, and i was wondering, what lenght will the .260rem giving the best performance?
I have also 24" SS Tikka T3 Varmint, it is quite slick barrel, but for sure custom barrel like Krieger will give more speed than factory.
My 21" Krieger on 6.5 Creedmoor is faster than 24" same caliber chrome moly Tikka barrel.
I use suppressor, but i was thinking to make this to be the top dogg on my rifles.
Goingto use only Vihtavuori powders.

This video was filmed, when the Krieger was 24" long, 123gr Scenar VV N15038,6gr.

This video, barrel is 21" 136gr Scenar-L and VV N160 44,6gr.

Same 21" but now the same 123gr Scenar and VV N150 38.6gr.

Tikka barrels are known to be slow. You want the best performance and velocity then leave the barrel as long as you can leave it. 27" should be possible. Unless you have a need to go short I would leave it long and get the free velocity. Same goes for the Creedmoor.

Reactions: viking78
I might go to 26", because i use suppressor.
But mostly i want to see, how fast it will be.
And if it is too long to handle, it easy to chop off an inch or two.

Handle how? What will you be doing with it? If just shooting like above it should be no problem with that short suppressor you have on there. Shouldn;t have a problem even running matches at 26" with that can. I have run a 26" 300WM with a 9" suppressor on it in PRS style matches without a problem. Yeah it's long but just got to practice with it.

Handle how? What will you be doing with it? If just shooting like above it should be no problem with that short suppressor you have on there. Shouldn;t have a problem even running matches at 26" with that can. I have run a 26" 300WM with a 9" suppressor on it in PRS style matches without a problem. Yeah it's long but just got to practice with it.
With a 6" suppressor on that, it is a quite long firestick.
But if it just for a shooting, it dont matter even if it a 30" barrel.

With a 6" suppressor on that, it is a quite long firestick.
But if it just for a shooting, it dont matter even if it a 30" barrel.

Long is relative. I run 28" barrels with 3-4" brakes on them. No issues getting around so a 26" with a 6" can should not be bad at all.

Reactions: viking78
As above, depends what you are doing with the rifle.
My Tikka with standard 22" barrel was doing of 2800fps with 140 ELD-Ms and shot amazing, with a ASE SL5i it was perfectly fine for PRS events.
My 6.5CM with a 24" barrel with a SL7i is a nit unweildy for certain events but is far from un-usable.

Personally for PRS type shoots I think 28" is the max length (including suppressor/brake) I'm willing to put up with, if just shooting for fun of a bench or bipod then leave it at 28".