• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Origin 6.5 Creedmoor headspace question

justpassingthru

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2022
PA
Hi all, finished my first build, Origin 6.5 creed in a KRG Bravo with a proof competition prefit. Took it to the range and its a hammer, love it. 1/2 moa easy with 140 eldm. Anyways, my question is that used a set of Forster go/nogo gauges and they everything was good, but I did notice the go gauge was SLIGHTLY tight, as in, I could feel the slightest bit resistance. It closed, the gun shoots great, I just want to make sure everything is kosher. Would that indicate very little headspace with a round chambered?

IMG-2315.jpg

Thats how I set my barrel nut prefits on purpose.

Keep in mind that the individual gauges can very a bit as well; when set with the forster it may be too tight for a clymer go version and vice versa. Its just a ball park check to make sure its not too egregious. It passed so Id call it good to go.

Did you removed the firing pin assembly before testing?
Yes, I did...within a ziplock bag no less. Man that's a piece just asking to get lost.

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Now that I think of it, when I chambered the eldms I didn't notice the same resistance. Is that a logical train of thought or can you still chamber a round if you exceeded the headspace?

That would indicate zero headspace. Should be no issue unless you get some long factory ammo. If you handload, consider the tight headspace a blessing.
Would it matter if you handload? Couldnt you get slightly more case volume being closer to the no-go gauge? I'm honestly curious. Of course if you are ever going to shoot factory ammo, a tighter chamber I believe is the way to go.

Would it matter if you handload? Couldnt you get slightly more case volume being closer to the no-go gauge? I'm honestly curious. Of course if you are ever going to shoot factory ammo, a tighter chamber I believe is the way to go.
Id prefer the brass to move minimally on the first firing(and all subsequent firings) so they live a long time. As far as extra velocity, no. The opposite end of where you're at is only .004-.005 away. You’ll never notice it.