• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors osprey 9 vs 45

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I've done all the reading and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. I understand the advantages and disadvantages. I think about 95% of the cans use will be on a 9mm.

From my understanding, it boils down to the 9 osprey being 3db quiter than the 45 osprey with a 9mm piston. It seems impossible to tell through videos and I don't know anyone with either. Can someone with experience chime in.

I watched silencerco's video and they say there is barely a difference, but it seems like when watching the video the 9 osprey sounded alost like my 22 suppressed, but the 45 osprey with 9mm sounded alot harsher.

Is there a perceptible difference? I know the DB scale is a bit funny, so 3db could actually be alot. While most it's use will be on a 9mm, it would be awsome if I could have the option to use it on the larger calibers. I could live with a barely perceptible difference, but not if it means the difference between 'wow' quite and 'pretty good'.

I shoot my osprey 45 on my 9mm all the time. Sounds just fine to me. The versatility to switch my suppressor to all my autos far exceeds the suppressor not being as quiet on a 9mm.

I cant answer your question exactly because i dont own an osprey. I will say that I cannot tell a noticeable difference between the Tirant 9 and 45. Thats why AAC cannot hardly give away the Tirant 9 anymore. I also have an octane 45 hd that I run on a 9mm MP5. Sounds just as quiet as the Tirant. Id say get the 45 can. Much more universal. If you aren't dead set on the osprey, take a look at the octane as well.

I cant answer your question exactly because i dont own an osprey. I will say that I cannot tell a noticeable difference between the Tirant 9 and 45. Thats why AAC cannot hardly give away the Tirant 9 anymore. I also have an octane 45 hd that I run on a 9mm MP5. Sounds just as quiet as the Tirant. Id say get the 45 can. Much more universal. If you aren't dead set on the osprey, take a look at the octane as well.

I'm not dead set in the Osprey. I have just always heard only good things about it so I assumed it was the best. I will look into the other options now, thanks.

Maybe not be the answer you want -

I have a .45 Osprey and have shot it on a G17 along with another person who had a G17 with a Trident. I listened to both from the shooter's ear / 10 yards to the right / 40 yards down range.

At the shooter's ear the .45 is more pleasing b/c it has a deeper tone. At the shooter's ear, and aside from tone, there was not really a difference in how loud they were. From the other two positions there is a difference. The higher pitch of the 9mm seems to dissipate sound faster. (Think HF vs UHF wavelength as an analogy and it will make a degree of sense).

Another "user of one" here... I have an Osprey 45, and have probably run more rounds of 147gr 9mm through it than .45. I am of the opinion that I would rather have the versatility of the .45 can than the extra 2-3 dB of suppression that may be present when shooting 9mm through a 9mm can.

In other words, the performance that I have experienced in regard to shooting 9mm through my Osprey .45 is acceptable to me, and in my use case the extra length/weight of the .45 can (over the 9mm) are not a penalty. For me, the ability to run .40, 10mm, .45, etc... in addition to 9mm is worth the trade off.

For the record, regarding the dB scale, for every 3dB you're looking at more or less doubling (or halving, depending on whether you move 3dB up or 3dB down from a given point) the amplitude... but also keep in mind that the human ear tends to have a "response curve" shaped like a rainbow. That is to say that as you approach either end of the audible spectrum (generally considered to be 20Hz-20kHz), a sound at a given amplitude will not seem as loud to the listener as would a sound in the tall part of the "rainbow". I said all of that to say this... while microphones (such as those used in sound metering) also have a response curve, that curve tends to fall off much more quickly than does human hearing response; so while a 125dB tone at, say, 1kHz will show up as a big spike when metering, the average listener may not find it to be very loud because 1kHz is fairly far from the peak of the rainbow. That's why you'll hear people talking about the tone of this can or the tone of that can... the cans may meter similarly, but if the tone falls in a more advantageous area of the hearing response curve, it will seem quieter to the listener.

Or I could be full of shit... I'll let you decide.

I have a .45 Osprey and it gets use on .45 / 9mm.

I prefer the versatility ( two calibers ) over the smaller size and slightly lower DB rating of the dedicated 9mm can.

Lets see if I can help here.

3dBs is almost a halving (1/2) of perceived sound. In other words, a properly designed 9mm can will be significantly quieter than a 9mm through a .45 can. There is no "slightly" about it. In fact, if one was to then shoot a 9mm Kurtz or a .380 through that 9mm can one would see why there are in fact a good number of .380 hosts supplied with 9mm cans under contract. So, why does it not sound that way? Because "listening" to these events takes some perspective. dB readings have a fatal flaw that most truthful arbitrators understand. It has to do with peak sound pressure duration. Peak sound pressure duration is very different than what most dB meters provide (and most dB meter readers can differentiate). A .308 has the same peak pressure as a .30-06, but as the skilled listener knows the peak pressure duration is quite different and as a result the 30-06 is "louder." Shooting 9mm through a .45 a can works to suppress blast, no doubt. And, as often discussed here, the additional volume provides a delay and tonal shift. But, again, if a .45 can could do for a 9mm what a 9mm can could, can makers wouldn't build dedicated 9mm. And no....its not about selling more cans. I have yet to hear a single 9mm through a .45 that is anything other than mediocre as compared to a proper bore match. We are talking about blast suppression here, not blast and projectile signature issues as that is where many loose their way in the 9mm vs .45 (ss vs subs.) Listening to suppression on a video is as good an indicator for the can as watching a video of TSAR would be. Set it aside as u-s-e-l-e-s-s.

What follows is one man's opinion. The 9mm is a great round to suppress, perhaps one of the greatest. The 9mm host can be quite small and in being small and light, and does not have the issues of firing the mass of the .45 in regard to felt recoil. The Osprey is aluminum, not a material of choice in my opinion for any suppressor. It is also very large and that size, in my opinion, is neither required nor necessary for the 9mm. The sight clearing issue is nonsense in 9mm, certainly not worth the timing lock-up. Any high volume can has an advantage over a smaller one (with all else held the same) for those that expect to shoot great numbers of concurrent rounds. Dry can work by definition requires volume as does a high firing schedule. Think a canoe threaded on your 9mm is quiet, try a BIGGER canoe.

I would go the other route. Get a great can in titanium, one designed for ablatives. It will be just as quiet and quieter than any well designed DRY can for a perhaps a full clip. You will end up with a smaller package, lighter package, stronger package, cleaning will be easier by way of the ablatives and the chemicals that can be employed that would eat aluminum up.....and you can drop the can in a pocket. Remember, the 9mm suppressor that was delivered in the greatest numbers ever was titanium, wet, weighed 3.3 ounces, and was 5.7" long. Hey, how can I be wrong, just look at my feedback score.

Last edited:
    I have a 45 osprey and run it on both 9 and 45
    If cans were an over the counter purchase rather than having your teeth pulled out then I would suggest getting both however since we don't live in a perfect world my recommendation is look at what your supressor needs are 10 years from now not what they are at currently so my .02 is buy a octane 45HD (wasn't available when I got my osprey) it will cover a wide array of calibers including 22LR and you should be well satisfied

Cant wait to get my .50 gi osprey to run it thought eveything

Lets see if I can help here.

3dBs is almost a halving (1/2) of perceived sound. In other words, a properly designed 9mm can will be significantly quieter than a 9mm through a .45 can. There is no "slightly" about it. In fact, if one was to then shoot a 9mm Kurtz or a .380 through that 9mm can one would see why there are in fact a good number of .380 hosts supplied with 9mm cans under contract. So, why does it not sound that way? Because "listening" to these events takes some perspective. dB readings have a fatal flaw that most truthful arbitrators understand. It has to do with peak sound pressure duration. Peak sound pressure duration is very different than what most dB meters provide (and most dB meter readers can differentiate). A .308 has the same peak pressure as a .30-06, but as the skilled listener knows the peak pressure duration is quite different and as a result the 30-06 is "louder." Shooting 9mm through a .45 a can works to suppress blast, no doubt. And, as often discussed here, the additional volume provides a delay and tonal shift. But, again, if a .45 can could do for a 9mm what a 9mm can could, can makers wouldn't build dedicated 9mm. And no....its not about selling more cans. I have yet to hear a single 9mm through a .45 that is anything other than mediocre as compared to a proper bore match. We are talking about blast suppression here, not blast and projectile signature issues as that is where many loose their way in the 9mm vs .45 (ss vs subs.) Listening to suppression on a video is as good an indicator for the can as watching a video of TSAR would be. Set it aside as u-s-e-l-e-s-s.

What follows is one man's opinion. The 9mm is a great round to suppress, perhaps one of the greatest. The 9mm host can be quite small and in being small and light, and does not have the issues of firing the mass of the .45 in regard to felt recoil. The Osprey is aluminum, not a material of choice in my opinion for any suppressor. It is also very large and that size, in my opinion, is neither required nor necessary for the 9mm. The sight clearing issue is nonsense in 9mm, certainly not worth the timing lock-up. Any high volume can has an advantage over a smaller one (with all else held the same) for those that expect to shoot great numbers of concurrent rounds. Dry can work by definition requires volume as does a high firing schedule. Think a canoe threaded on your 9mm is quiet, try a BIGGER canoe.

I would go the other route. Get a great can in titanium, one designed for ablatives. It will be just as quiet and quieter than any well designed DRY can for a perhaps a full clip. You will end up with a smaller package, lighter package, stronger package, cleaning will be easier by way of the ablatives and the chemicals that can be employed that would eat aluminum up.....and you can drop the can in a pocket. Remember, the 9mm suppressor that was delivered in the greatest numbers ever was titanium, wet, weighed 3.3 ounces, and was 5.7" long. Hey, how can I be wrong, just look at my feedback score.

Thank you for the in depth reply. I'm starting to lean towards a 9mm...I have firearms in other calibers, but other than an occasional function check, I literally only use the 9mm. It sounds like the sound change is pretty dramatic. I'm not looking for a suppressor for recoil management, flash control or other reason. The main purpose is noise suppression, and it sounds like it's a pretty large compromise.

So are you recommending the ti-rant then?