• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Osprey Barrel Works

My match .308 only has about 800 rounds through it or I would order one too. Glad to see them offering .30 now.

Received my new 6 Creeed Osprey with the shorter freebore and threw together some basic break in loads with some 105 BTHP and StaBALL powder that I had a pound of sitting at bench. Don't want to waste H4350 and ATips. LOL Got a starting load of 40.5grns and the 105 seated deep to be .010" off lands. I dropped the powder charge from the thrower and just set it on the scale to make sure it's close. A little high or a little low was fine and no trickling. Shot those 20 rounds just to put rounds down bore and was dropping them on the head of the IPSC steel at 400 yards. Not bad for tossed together loads. Can't wait to see what the ATips will do. Brought the rifle home and the barrel cleaned up fast with no coppering. I was actually pretty impressed. Loaded up another 80 of that load in the same way. Will chrono it, just for curiosity, next time out as I was in a rush yesterday.

Will you turn one of these to a kimber Montana contour?

We can, it's going to be a custom contour ($60) and we'll need a drawing or a sample barrel to work from as I don't have any data on what a Kimber Montana is.
@bohem

I emailed you approximately 2 weeks ago about purchasing a .223 7twist OBW barrel contoured for a Kimber Montana. Have not seen any return emails yet. Can you please check into this?

Reactions: category_theory
So Im for sure getting a new barrel for my tikka action. Need to first figure out how in the hell to remove the old one, but that aside… I’ve been scoping the in stock Osprey M24 in 6.5cm. Kinda comes with everything I want. That said I’m torn here be this guy and a Preferred Barrels Prefit in 27” .900 taperless in 7 twist 5r. Is it worth the wait and the 150$ more for the preferred? Or is the 26” and 7.5 twist sufficient?

So Im for sure getting a new barrel for my tikka action. Need to first figure out how in the hell to remove the old one, but that aside… I’ve been scoping the in stock Osprey M24 in 6.5cm. Kinda comes with everything I want. That said I’m torn here be this guy and a Preferred Barrels Prefit in 27” .900 taperless in 7 twist 5r. Is it worth the wait and the 150$ more for the preferred? Or is the 26” and 7.5 twist sufficient?
I would got Osprey all day long, plus 7.5 twist is plenty for a 6.5 creed unless you are running really long bullets

Reactions: Baron23

Definitely get the Osprey and take the extra $150 you would have spend on the other barrel and use it to get a PVA Jet4 brake and you will be all set and ahead of the game.

Reactions: Baron23 and S3th
Glad I found this thread. Got the ARC nucleus rifle that came with a PVA barrel, but thinking of going to a heavier contour and saw they do the Osprey prefits. Was comparing prices and Osprey is definitely a little lighter on the wallet. Comparing places and as of now Osprey is right there at the top of the list.

Reactions: Rob01
@bohem im about to place an order today for a 28” proof contour in 6.5cm for my tikka! My first custom barrel pre-fit! Think I can get on that sale train!? Thanks!!

@bohem im about to place an order today for a 28” proof contour in 6.5cm for my tikka! My first custom barrel pre-fit! Think I can get on that sale train!? Thanks!!
If it falls within the sale parameters it will be on sale tomorrow. We aren't doing 28" lengths on sale though. If you settle for 26 it can be on sale tomorrow. Just wait til tomorrow and place the order so I don't have a stack of "hey can you do " emails to sort through. I don't back apply sales.

I have barrels from both and my PVAs shoot better by a good margin. I definitely wouldn't pay more for the Preferred. When I got my Preferred they were $350 for a shouldered prefit and it made sense at that price. $150 more than a PVA tube? Hard pass.

If it falls within the sale parameters it will be on sale tomorrow. We aren't doing 28" lengths on sale though. If you settle for 26 it can be on sale tomorrow. Just wait til tomorrow and place the order so I don't have a stack of "hey can you do " emails to sort through. I don't back apply sales.
Bummer, I ordered an OTS prefit last week.

Shot another 20 rounds through my TL3 Osprey today to get some rounds through before working up a load. Got 60 through now. Again with thrown together load with 105 BTHP and StaBALL shot from standing barricade was hitting the head of a full sized IPSC steel at 400 yards again. Barrel cleaned up real fast when I got home. Take advantage of the sale this weekend if you need a barrel!

Reactions: bohem
Love the two that I have both shoot tiny groups and clean up incredibly fast. Huge fan and would recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: bohem
Small thread bump from July. Got out today with some 110 ATip and H4350 loads in the Osprey barrel with shorter freebore. Barrel had 120 rounds through it when I started. Shot some 5 shot groups at 100 all were 1/2 MOA or better. Then shot 3 5 shot groups at 400 on steel. Below are those pics. All the groups are about 1/2 MOA. There are some small impacts from my .22 in some pics so I dropped some red on the 5 shots.

Must have screwed up in paint and dropped a little red at about 11 o'clock but that's not a shot. LOL

IMG_2846(2).jpg

Silhouette head steel

IMG_2847(2).jpg

Threw thumb in on last one just for scale. This is the load I am going to be loading up and shooting to 1000 to see how it does as it was smallest at 100 and had a very good SD. All these groups I am happy with though.
IMG_2848(2).jpg