• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Osprey Defense Gas Piston Conversion

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've been trying to get in to a short barrel 6.5 Grendel (10.5") with a gas piston system, but no one makes one, so I'll need to do the modifications myself. The route I'm looking at taking is to buy a stock Alexander Arms 6.5 Tactical upper with the quad rail ( https://www.alexanderarms.com/item/10/91/65Grendel105Tacticalcompleteupperreceiver.htm ), and installing the Osprey Defense conversion system, but I have a question.

I have read that this system will fit under virtually all handguards, but I'm not sure. Has anyone had significant problems installing this system under your existing handguards? I'd hate to go through the trouble getting all of the parts only to discover that it won't work with this setup.

Thanks

Re: Osprey Defense Gas Piston Conversion

I have one under a PRI handguard and there is loads of room.

For grins i slipped on a Troy TRX rail and it fit under that as well.

I have one on a Midwest industries that required a little machining to get it to fit, not bad if you work in a machine shop like myself! The system works great on a .223 11.5" barrel

You said you wanted this on a 10.5" 6.5, but their web site specifically says not to install the osprey on anything less than a 11.5", so be careful!!!

If I am not mistaken, it should fit underneath Midwest Industries’ SS-Series handguard.

Would like to add this diagram!
<span style="color: #CCCCCC">[img:center]</span><span style="color: #CCCCCC">[/img]</span>

I'm to understand that it'll fit under that handguard too. Unfortunately I have the older style 2 piece free float handguard and have no hands on experience with the SS. Sorry. :-(

I'm putting an Oaprey on an M4 and am going to try and us a VLTOR CASV rail--will let ya know how it works

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SakoTRG FAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one on a Midwest industries that required a little machining to get it to fit, not bad if you work in a machine shop like myself! The system works great on a .223 11.5" barrel

You said you wanted this on a 10.5" 6.5, but their web site specifically says not to install the osprey on anything less than a 11.5", so be careful!!! </div></div>

You can install it on a 10.5.

http://www.gaspiston.com/product/ops-416-for-carbine-length-guns/

Then I guess they've changed it, because my instruction sheet say no less than a 11.5" barrel. That's the only reason I went with a 11.5" in the first place :-(

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm putting an Oaprey on an M4 and am going to try and us a VLTOR CASV rail--will let ya know how it works </div></div>

Should work well with any ARMS style handguard (ARMS, Vltor, POF)