• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OT: Fiat Spiders

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
Any of you car guys out there have any intimate knowledge about these things??? There's a 1981 model in pretty nice shape, that runs good, fuel injected 4cyl, and has cold AC for what seems to be a good deal.

How hard are parts to get? Looks like they're easy to work on, and the interior is in great shape with a fairly new top.

I was thinking of possibly getting it and tucking it away for my daughter. Figure I can kinda fix it up real nice over the years for when she gets older (NOT 16! I'm a firm believer in the first car being a shitty one). Might be a neat "off to college" car. Seems like a car that a college girl would like.

Like I said, seems to be a pretty good deal.

Jason

Re: OT: Fiat Spiders

FIAT = Fix It Again Tony.

FIAT + Feable Italian Attempt @ Transportation.

Actually, they are great hobby car. I've owned one. Not a performance car but very pimp. The chicks dig it. I just moved up to girls the size of them and had to sell it.

I had a 74 124 spyder, after a diff, motor, radiator, top and brakes it was a pretty good car, about the same as my MGB GT and much better than my Austin Healey 3000 (but not nearly as cool), unless I was going to be close enough to wrench on it when it needs it, I dont think I'd put my daughter in one.

Love the Spiders. I had a 1980 Spider 2000. Vick Autosport, International Auto Parts and Caribou Imports all have a huge selection of parts.

I did my own custom brake kit with Willwood calipers and proportioning valve under 17" momos. With the right profile the ride height doesn't change. Chuck the bumpers and and shocks. I welded in some plates and relocated the turn signals to the body and put in some driving lights and mounting brackets.

The best thing to do is find an Abarth independent rear axle. They are expensive but really cool. Sell some you guns and you can afford it
wink.gif

Good luck to you!

RODENT

The car can prolly be had for around $2200 and is in great shape. I'm no Fiat nut so I toyed around with the thought of selling the drivetrain parts off since they're in good working order, and swapping in Toyota parts...
grin.gif

Don't know if the toyota parts will fit because I never tried. Get with Vick, they can make it totally reliable. They race them every weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are decent little cars.

I would love to find one of the older Ford powered Lotus Cortina's

DSC_0966.jpg
</div></div>

Hahahaha. I had one of those cars a 1966. The Lotus Cortina had the twin overhead valve with the dual side drafts and the Ford had the puhsrod motor with the single downdraft progressive. I learned to wrench on them with a guy that raced it in SCCA. Those cars were fast, handled like slot cars, and would take a lot of money from dumbasses that didn't know what they were up against.

Switch, is that yours or a friend of yours?

I have had a '69 and a '79 Fiat Spider. Both were terribly unreliable, and not very easy to work on, not compared to American cars of the same vintage. Also, they are not safe in a crash. I got pretty smashed when some woman ran a stop sign and hit me.

James

Anything older will be a project car, but once they are 'refreshed' they run decent if all the quirks are tended to.

I need another project car like I need an enema, but today I did see a sweet lookin 60's Lincoln, all low and black....hot rod Lincoln's anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hot rod Lincoln's anyone? </div></div>

boy you're gonna drive me to drinkin'..... LOL. Love that song...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The car can prolly be had for around $2200 and is in great shape. I'm no Fiat nut so I toyed around with the thought of selling the drivetrain parts off since they're in good working order, and swapping in Toyota parts...
grin.gif

</div></div>

Just stay away from their gas pedals...
wink.gif

Commander Cody kicks ass BTW!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything older will be a project car, but once they are 'refreshed' they run decent if all the quirks are tended to.

I need another project car like I need an enema, but today I did see a sweet lookin 60's Lincoln, all low and black....hot rod Lincoln's anyone? </div></div>
That would put the P in pimpin' Fo Sho!

My mom told me stories when I was a kid of how her and her husband used to roll those things like monthly. Sounds like it was several of them too so I don't think it was an isolated incident. So, the only advice I can give you is take corners slow. Glad I could help.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fit a Ramjet 350 into a 4runner, I can make it fit... LOL </div></div>

At that time we had a few Infiniti racing 3.5 engines (came out of Long Beach). I could have made it fit but would have had to modify the hood and the engine mounts. I seriously thought about it but opted not to.

I do recommend buying the latest model year you can and get one built for the US. It will have a special rubber under coating sprayed on thus made with different steel as well. Many of them were not and tend to show a lot more rust.

Someone posted here about being easy to roll over. Being part of several groups that issue never came up. I would like to know more.

VICK isn't just one guy, they have a tech support/sales group. Good luck to you.

In several years of doing vendor sales at Watkins Glen track post 2000, I never saw a Fiat. I learned to drive on brand new '66 Mustang, and even back then folks shied away from Fiats. They were reliability nightmares.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fit a Ramjet 350 into a 4runner, I can make it fit... LOL </div></div>

At that time we had a few Infiniti racing 3.5 engines (came out of Long Beach). I could have made it fit but would have had to modify the hood and the engine mounts. I seriously thought about it but opted not to.

I do recommend buying the latest model year you can and get one built for the US. It will have a special rubber under coating sprayed on thus made with different steel as well. Many of them were not and tend to show a lot more rust.

Someone posted here about being easy to roll over. Being part of several groups that issue never came up. I would like to know more.

VICK isn't just one guy, they have a tech support/sales group. Good luck to you. </div></div>

This one is a '81 that has a badge on the trunk that says "S2000 Fuel Injection". It's no show car, I can see the bondo under the half-way decent paint job, but the interior is in good shape, and unless there's tons of covered up rot, it doesn't look like it would be hard to make really nice.

What year was the 4runner you put the Ramjet in? I put a 4.3 vortec in my 87 extracab. Never had the balls to put a 350 in the fj40 but thought about it.

That is fucking sweet!

Not nearly as cool as yours. Did you keep the Toyota trans, transfers, and diffs? Sorry to hijack your thread. But the real answer for your daughter is a land cruiser!

4kxmkx.jpg

Every Fiat spider I was ever around was tinny, sloppy and slow. Granted I was never around a race prepped one. Have owned Porsche 914 (yes I know), and 2 Alfa's, one 74 GTV and still have a 91 spider with 35,000 miles on it. Italians run 3 wires where 2 would suffice, the futher back you go the worse the electric stuff gets, still not as bad as Lucas. They are fun to drive and get great gas mileage but not something I would put my daughter in (if I had one). Lot better chick cars out there, Subaru outback comes to mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Subaru outback comes to mind.</div></div>

If she's a carpet muncher maybe.

FIAT = Fucking Italians Attempted Technology

I worked on a 60 something convertible, sat in a basement for 20 years ..... had to take the gas tank out of itthe radiator out of it, the transmission out of it, replace the cluth, change the points, I think I did just about everything to that car besides replace the motor itself.

What a pain in the ass, no room to work, but once I got it running it ran like a raped ape for a little 4 cylinder, chugging along.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is fucking sweet!

Not nearly as cool as yours. Did you keep the Toyota trans, transfers, and diffs? Sorry to hijack your thread. But the real answer for your daughter is a land cruiser!

4kxmkx.jpg

</div></div>

You mean like so???

DSC00640.jpg

It too has a RamJet....
grin.gif

We had a Fiat 128 growing up and although it isn't as fun as a Spyder, I am certain they are about the same in their "soul". It would be fun car, but I can assure you, that you will become tired of working on it. Reliability was not one of their strong suits.

Yup, although I am slightly more partial to closer to stock, that does look like fun. My 2f usually got me where I needed to go.

Fi I could fine either one fo those old Cortina's or one of those 2002 Bimmers I would be happy. Need to go ask how much the Lincoln is. Lightly sand the black paint to flat black, and go with a flat clear coat, glo in the dark green inside the headlights and other lenses, Eiback lowering springs and sway bars, good shocks, tune up, 17x10's all the way around, spider webs int eh corners of the glass, limo tint, and call it the Nightmare Freeway Cruiser
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fi I could fine either one fo those old Cortina's or one of those 2002 Bimmers I would be happy. Need to go ask how much the Lincoln is. Lightly sand the black paint to flat black, and go with a flat clear coat, glo in the dark green inside the headlights and other lenses, Eiback lowering springs and sway bars, good shocks, tune up, 17x10's all the way around, spider webs int eh corners of the glass, limo tint, and call it the Nightmare Freeway Cruiser
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'm totally down with this idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Subaru outback comes to mind.</div></div>

If she's a carpet muncher maybe. </div></div>

I knew someone would come up with this. Hey lesbians don't like working on cars, so they buy something that doesn't need worked on much. Leaves more time for their other endeavors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Subaru outback comes to mind.</div></div>

If she's a carpet muncher maybe. </div></div>

Hey lesbians don't like working on cars, so they buy something that doesn't need worked on much. </div></div>

Aren't their wenches mostly high maintenance? Seems to me the way they carry on in public. Worse than a maried couple or a pair of fags. Of course I haven't seen much around here, must be the bible belt thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JR, get her one of these and watch the boys drool

5578026.jpg
</div></div>

Good luck getting that away from me... I'd chop the top on that thing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JR, get her one of these and watch the boys drool

5578026.jpg
</div></div>

This car just gave me a rager.

You want a nice little used roadster, get a Miata or a Honda S2000. It will do what you want and once you drive it awhile, you'll know you weren't missing anything by leaving the Fiat for the next fool.

You know who the next fool is, don't you?

Who cares? It isn't me, and it isn't you.

Greg

That car is the one to beat them all Sean. I love that car, it makes Christine look like a Friday Night Tramp

Based on one of these

250px-69MarkIIIa.jpg

George Barris created this:

thecar.jpg

Designed for the movie "The Car" starring James Brolin. Made from a 1971 Lincoln. Fenders were 20 gauge steel shaped over the original body. The grill was hand made from square steel tubing. 4 bumpers made from heavy 18 gauge steel. Seven inch single headlights sunk behind the grill and fender. Body was raised to upper doorline. Four radius wheel wells around a six inch reverse deep chrome wheels and Goodrich tires.

Top was chopped 4 inches with all black transparent windows. Full body roll bars installed over and around stunt driver. A steel tube canon was installed on passenger side which had a telephone pole inside and steel cap which housed dynamite and black powder. When the stunt man rolled the car he would trigger the tube telephone pole by igniting the dynamite which drove the pole into the ground and roll the car 5 times. Finished with 20 coats of black pearl lacquer. A total of four were made.

I lust after a car like this for just getting out on teh freeway and 'cruising' at a buck 20