• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen S Repeatability??

Millron

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
West Virginia
In the market for a Shorter, 6-7" can that suppresses better than a Silenerco Omega. Key point being repeatability and return to zero when taking the can on or off. Not interested in a direct can thread for this, HUB mount only. I have TBAC Ultra 9, which is fantastic. However, its pretty unwieldly to hunt with so i typically use the Silenerco OMEGA, which is a decent do it all can but suppression leaves a little to be desired on a large magnum. I also have a Banish, which works pretty well but In my very informal testing I don't think its nearly as repeatable as the TBAC but sound signatures are similiar. I know the go to defacto in this scenario is the ULTRA 7 Gen 2. Thats what I'm leaning toward but they are faily hard to track down in the HUB configuration.

The OCL lab Hydrogen series seems to suppress really well. Any first hand reports of repeatability of this can? How does it compare the TBAC? I know its a new company so not much out there as far as history goes.

Reactions: godofthunder
In the market for a Shorter, 6-7" can that suppresses better than a Silenerco Omega. Key point being repeatability and return to zero when taking the can on or off. Not interested in a direct can thread for this, HUB mount only. I have TBAC Ultra 9, which is fantastic. However, its pretty unwieldly to hunt with so i typically use the Silenerco OMEGA, which is a decent do it all can but suppression leaves a little to be desired on a large magnum. I also have a Banish, which works pretty well but In my very informal testing I don't think its nearly as repeatable as the TBAC but sound signatures are similiar. I know the go to defacto in this scenario is the ULTRA 7 Gen 2. Thats what I'm leaning toward but they are faily hard to track down in the HUB configuration.

The OCL lab Hydrogen series seems to suppress really well. Any first hand reports of repeatability of this can? How does it compare the TBAC? I know its a new company so not much out there as far as history goes.
Extremely repeatable and zero issues. They also sound really good. I helped OCL do pre-production T&R on the Hydrogen cans, so I've got a ton of hands-on experience, and put thousands of rounds through them (I have 2x Hydro-S, and 1x Hydro-L, and 1x Polonium 5.56), they are all extremely repeatable with virtually non-existent POI shift. I run 2 of them DT (Hydro-S 7.62 & Hydro-L 7.62), and 2 of them on KeyMo mounts (Hydro-S 6.5mm & Polonium 5.56).

They are just as reliable and repeatable as my TBAC Magnus-HUB.

I have videos up on my YT channel if you want to hear how they sound on different guns, platforms, and cartridges, and even some comparison videos with other brands cans of similar size and design.

Reactions: godofthunder
Here's a link to a thread I started about it. The videos are embedded into it, but you can navigate to the YT channel through the embedded videos if you want to hear other brands and suppressors.

I know the go to defacto in this scenario is the ULTRA 7 Gen 2.
From first hand experience if you are looking for an analog to a Tbac 7 look no further than the Theorem from Abel.

There is more to cans than “tone”, impulse is a big thing. The ability to run a vented cap is big on the theorems.

They are cut square as hell too. If you ever screwed on a quality shouldered prefit on a square action you know what im talking about.

Extremely low total indicated runout over the entire length of the can. Which aint no easy machining feat if you consider these are 7-9” long devices

IMG_1873.jpeg

Why eit so important to have hub? What mount do you plan on using?

its simple, I like the flexibility with a universal mounting system. I've converted my silenerco cans to the the Griffen taper mounts. They have a huge variety of mounting patterns so its easy to get mounts for something other than the std. 5/8x24 or 1/2 x28. I've had issues with Direct thread cans backing off and I just find taper mounts to work better, whether thats TBAC CB mount or somebody elses platform. When the mounts are properly installed, the suppressors don't back off, are quicker to get on/off, and your not adding wear and tear the barrel muzzle threads taking it on/off. The TBAC CB mounts are great on a precision platform but that system is somewhat limiting when your swapping cans to several different rifles. They don't offer a lot of different thread patterns in the CB mount system, so your down to using a thread adapter and the potential issues that come along with that which i try to avoid. Again, I think its a great system for a precision oriented rifle, likely the best out there, but not necessarily the best for all applications. I just feel a HUB interface is a better mousetrap for a can that's going to be swapped between a bunch of rifles or for a platform that's not specifically a precision long range setup.

Last edited:
With my precision rifle cans I find that once I screw the suppressor adapter into them, they stay that way. On multi-cal subgun cans it's a little different and I've swapped from trilug to Keymo, and back but on a PR can you're generally only trying to solve 5/8 24. Maybe a 1/2 24 for a .223 trainer barrel (but I have those cut to 5/8 these days) Even guy's doing.375 Raptors are doing 5/8 24. I think once you get up to.338 Norma you need 3/4 24. But you're probably going to use a different can on that anyway. And TBAC makes CBs for all those anyway so it doesn't matter.

I've never seen anyone wear out muzzle threads from direct threading a can before bullets wear out the bore. That's some Internet shit.

Good luck with your search.

Honestly not hear to debate direct thread vs HUB vs CB. Direct thread for this is not an option. Just looking for reviews of guys that have OCL cans and their experiences.

On your question, Its not that anyone is worried about wearing muzzle threads out by the physical threading and unthreading, its more about the wear on those threads when the can isn't on it, screwing it on with carbon and dirt on the threads, etc. You always need keep those muzzle threads capped once the can is off. I'd much rather mess up a sacrificial muzzle device than barrel threads. pretty easy to heat it up, unscrew, and replace vs. rethreading a barrel. I don't think its even debatable that mating two flat surfaces is inferior to a tapered fit when we are talking about alignment and staying tight. There is a reason high precision machine parts use tapered fits. Lots of variation in the quality of barrel threads done in mass produced rifles vs. barrels spun up by a gunsmith. Those higher clearance threads can have a very detrimental impact on how well that suppressor stays in contact with the face of the muzzle after shot strings or riding around in the back of a Side by Side on bumpy washboard roads.

Last edited:
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I might piggyback off this one.

I am also interested in picking up a Hydrogen S for use on a LMT MWS with adjustable gas block and AIAT. Its primary use will be for hunting on either rifle (both in .308 and 6.5 CM).

My daughter has taken an interest in deer hunting and I don't want her to suffer the same damage I have over the years. In that application, it will be on the end of the AI. I will also run it on the LMT for precision or match shooting.

Has anyone used this can on an LMT with adjustable gas block? I am not concerned about backpressure since I can tune the gas block for it.
How does it sound on a bolt gun?

I will be running it with an ASR mount and Bravo adapter since my other rifle can is a Specwar762.