• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Otter Creek Labs OCM5 on a 16.5" 223 bolt action.

jzerfoss

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
Finally got one of my 223 barrels cut for my Otter Creek Labs OCM5. I wanted to minimize the added OAL when the suppressor was added so I wanted more barrel past the threads where there would normally be a brake or flash hider. I brought the idea to Ryan Beck with Base Camp Guns in Martinsburg, PA and he created a program for his CNC. With the mount cut into the barrel the suppressor only adds 5" to the overall length. Ryan did an awesome job with the machining and their cerakoter Dave(I think is his name) did and awesome job too. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Almost looks like a 16.5" 223 version of the XM3.
20231223_142409.jpg
20231223_142511.jpg
20231223_142524.jpg
20231223_142610.jpg
20231223_144221.jpg

I love that. Been debating getting a 22 creed barrel cut the same way, or go carbon fiber and use a regular direct thread.

So from bolt face to end of can is 21.5"?

What contour is the barrel? Also what is the rig total weight as you have it shown with can?

Base camp are great guys, I’ve had them cerakote a few rifles for me and bought a handful of suppressors through them.

I like that! That would be a sexy setup in a 1:7 twist .300 BLK with an OCM-30 when they finally make them.

It wouldn't look quite as cool, and would be about 6" instead of 5" added length, but you could essentially achieve the same thing with a Polonium 5.56 can with a ZR0-DTA direct-thread mount.

I like that! That would be a sexy setup in a 1:7 twist .300 BLK with an OCM-30 when they finally make them.
Unfortunately, they've been recently saying the OCM5-30 is a no-go since AEM is making AEM5-30 & AEM5-30K again.

Unfortunately, they've been recently saying the OCM5-30 is a no-go since AEM is making AEM5-30 & AEM5-30K again.
Yeah, I follow Andrew's IG. He said they will eventually, but for right now it's not a priority.

That rig with a 16" barrel in .300 BLK and a Hydro-S 7.62 would be nasty. I have a similar setup with my Ruger Ranch 16" .300 BLK with the Hydro-S 7.62. It's a ridiculous combo.

What are the rifle specs? Action? Stock?

Yeah, I follow Andrew's IG. He said they will eventually, but for right now it's not a priority.

That rig with a 16" barrel in .300 BLK and a Hydro-S 7.62 would be nasty. I have a similar setup with my Ruger Ranch 16" .300 BLK with the Hydro-S 7.62. It's a ridiculous combo.

What are the rifle specs? Action? Stock?
The OD green stock is a Manners EH-4 and the other is T2A
Defiance Deviant
16.5" Krieger HV 7.5 twist in 223 wylde
NF 4-16x42 with Mil-XT
Badger USMC 1" height 34mm Steel rings
So from bolt face to end of can is 21.5"?

What contour is the barrel? Also what is the rig total weight as you have it shown with can?
Yeah, within a few tenths of an inch. Heavy Varmint contour but I think I'll go with M24 with the next one. I'm not sure on the weight and I'm not home ATM.

Last edited:
The OD green stock is a Manners EH-4 and the other is T2A
Defiance Deviant
16.5" Krieger HV 7.5 twist in 223 wylde
NF 4-16x42 with Mil-XT
Badger USMC 1" height 34mm Steel rings

Yeah, within a few tenths of an inch. Heavy Varmint contour but I think I'll go with M24 with the next one. I'm not sure on the weight and I'm not home ATM.

Would appreciate a weight if you had one but no hurry. And yes, looking at dims, I would go M24 also. Been doing some calcs, M24 gets close to the weight of a proof carbon sendero 18" . A little flutting and it may get below it.

This thread came along at the right time. I'll have to get with Base Camo soon

Would appreciate a weight if you had one but no hurry. And yes, looking at dims, I would go M24 also. Been doing some calcs, M24 gets close to the weight of a proof carbon sendero 18" . A little flutting and it may get below it.

This thread came along at the right time. I'll have to get with Base Camo soon
With the T2A it's 14lbs 4oz. I believe the EH4 is a little over a pound lighter. With a M24 contour, lighter rings, and lighter action you could probably cut another pound or 2.

With the T2A it's 14lbs 4oz. I believe the EH4 is a little over a pound lighter. With a M24 contour, lighter rings, and lighter action you could probably cut another pound or 2.

i appreciate the info. im trying to get under 10 lbs, which i think i can do with my plan of attack. action, stock, barrel contour, can and scope.

i appreciate the info. im trying to get under 10 lbs, which i think i can do with my plan of attack. action, stock, barrel contour, can and scope.
I'm sure it's possible! Nothing I'm using is light except the EH4 but it has a mini chassis so it could lighter.

Looks great. Just a heads up, I was told that the brake helps protect the blast baffle on the AEM5, maybe the OCM5 is different.

Reactions: BurtG
Looks great. Just a heads up, I was told that the brake helps protect the blast baffle on the AEM5, maybe the OCM5 is different.

in this scenario, the role of the brake protecting the blast baffle will be played by "extra barrel".

That's probably true for the OCM5 too but on a bolt action it's not going to see anywhere near the same rate of fire as a semi or full auto.

Reactions: BurtG
Finally got one of my 223 barrels cut for my Otter Creek Labs OCM5. I wanted to minimize the added OAL when the suppressor was added so I wanted more barrel past the threads where there would normally be a brake or flash hider. I brought the idea to Ryan Beck with Base Camp Guns in Martinsburg, PA and he created a program for his CNC. With the mount cut into the barrel the suppressor only adds 5" to the overall length. Ryan did an awesome job with the machining and their cerakoter Dave(I think is his name) did and awesome job too. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Almost looks like a 16.5" 223 version of the XM3.
View attachment 8306238View attachment 8306240View attachment 8306241View attachment 8306242View attachment 8306243
I was just thinking today that I kinda want to build a bolt gun around the OCM5. I was also reading about the XM3 today. I think you've inspired my next project!

I was just thinking today that I kinda want to build a bolt gun around the OCM5. I was also reading about the XM3 today. I think you've inspired my next project!
I've got to shoot it more recently. I love this thing. I don't think the extra barrel taking up room in the expansion chamber is hurting performance much or at all. Sounds excellent.

I don't see how the "extra barrel" is directing gas to the side and away from the blast baffle

If the brake is firmly inserted into the blast baffle, then the barrel in this scenario then blocks the blast baffle from getting direct gasses. And the bullet enters the can effectively after the blast baffle ends.

But with this being a reflex can, gas still fills back to the rear.

This could maybe put more direct force on another baffle but I'm not worried about it at all. Ops inc cans are way over built and have been for decades.

Maybe the ocm is also but it's different materials to cut down on weight, so ymmv

If the brake is firmly inserted into the blast baffle, then the barrel in this scenario then blocks the blast baffle from getting direct gasses. And the bullet enters the can effectively after the blast baffle ends.

I don't think that's correct, man.