• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Otterbox iPhone Defender Beltclip Replacement

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
Since the discussion of the Otterbox Belt-clip failures hijacked the Magpul iPhone cover thread, I decided to start this one.

I emailed Otterbox and expressed my displeasure with the belt-clip for my iPhone Defender case on 02/03/10. Thankfully, the Defender protects your phone as well as it does, because the flawed belt-clip can't hold the phone. A prompt email reply advised me to submit my info and a new & improved belt-clip would be mailed (at no cost to me). When I got home last night (02/06/10), the package was waiting for me in the mail.

The new clip looks exactly like the old one, but I didn't break out the micrometer to check specifics. The Defender fits snug in the new clip and my phone didn't hit the pavement when I stepped out of my car at work this morning. That was the first time it stayed in the clip, as I exited my vehicle.

Bottom line.... The Otterbox Defender is a must, if you are as rough on phones as I am. The version 2.0 belt-clip is no doubt holding the case more securely. This was probably the best, no hassle, customer service encounter I have ever had. Otterbox made good my gripe... No questions asked... and in 3 days.

Re: Otterbox iPhone Defender Beltclip Replacement

I too have the Otter Box. I got tired of the iphone falling off the clip(can`t call it a case). I looked and finally bought a Maxpedition phone case to securely hold my iphone with the Otter Box protective case. Yes it is a hassle getting the phone out of the case, but I know my phone will not fall off.

Do you have a pic?

Any wat to post oa pic of the gen2 clip please?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too have the Otter Box. I got tired of the iphone falling off the clip(can`t call it a case). I looked and finally bought a Maxpedition phone case to securely hold my iphone with the Otter Box protective case. Yes it is a hassle getting the phone out of the case, but I know my phone will not fall off.

Do you have a pic? </div></div>

It looks identical to the original. I put them face to face & couldn't tell the difference. It sure does a better job of holding the phone. Snug fit & hasn't fallen out yet.

f.jpg

If you look closely you will see that inside the case area the original had milled out places that allowed the holding arms to flex. On the replacement they are solid. The new clip is a joy. You can jump out of a tree and your phone will not come out. I have had my replacement one for a week and it works great!

Thanks GDogg!

Guys, you don't even want to know what happened to me with that clip. Back in November on a Sunday afternoon, I got my first iPhone at an AT&T store. The lady showed me how strong that otterbox was, so I picked it up also. The next morning, I was on the subway in scrubs, and I figured that I would just clip the phone to my pants. When I got to the locker room, I took off my coat and looked down on my waist only to find an empty clip. It didn't hit me that the pos was lost until I checked every pocket and the floor. I thought I was gonna puke. I backtracked all the way back to the subway, and it was confirmed that my fucking iPhone was lost after having it for less than 18 hrs!!!

Mine was only slightly better.

I had my phone for a week when we got a callout on a suicidal subject with a gun in one of our housing projects less than 100 yards from a school. I geared up grabbed the long gun and my pack and clipped my iPhone to my thigh rig. I had to cross a 15 yard danger zone in front of the target. I did it at a full sprint. When we got into our hide I looked down to make sure my phone was silenced......empty carrier. I was soooooo pisssed. My spotter backtracked to our last covered position and didn't see it on the ground. This was in a housing project, so I figured that some thug had himself a new iPhone.

After the situation was resolved I backtracked my entire route from the car and couldn't find it. As I was stowing my gear, one of our supervisors got me on the radio and said he thought he had something of mine. Yep, he was delivering water to the perimiter officers and located my phone in the grass. He figured it was mine because although it was locked, when you hit the button the wallpaper is a shot through the reticle.
wink.gif

I have never again trusted the clip. The phone always goes IN the cargo pocket.

I emailed Otterbox, hopefully I will get a response and two new clips (one for me and one for the wife).

They sent me a new one fast! New one is very solid... really gotta pull to get the phone out!

Well, there was eventually a happy ending to my disaster. I was so pissed after the phone was lost, and apple was no help at all; "I am so sorry to hear that sir, but unfortunately, the only thing you can do is pay the full retail price of the phone, $499 + tax.

I contacted otterbox and calmly explained the story to them. Without any argument, in about a week and a half, they sent me a check for the full price of a new iphone. To this day, I am still in awe.

I don't even trust the belt clip around the house. After reading this thread I went to the Otterbox site and sent an email telling them I'd like a belt clip that works.
I'll post their response.

1911fan

I have been informed by my younger friends that if I want to get laid I am to wear nothing on my belt. Put your Defender enclosed iPhone in a secure pocket and you will get laid! At least, that's what I do.

I too contacted Otterbox. OB said a new clip is on the way to me.

I like the Maxpedition case. Like I said, it is a bitch to insert and remove the phone. But I know where the phone is.

Update- I went to their site and told them I had heard they were replacing belt clips, and mine needed to be replaced.
They wanted to know what device and what color Otterbox, and now a new one is on the way. Free.

1911fan

The new Otter boxes hitting store shelves are showing up with the new clips now, as well as instructions to face the screen in towards the clip, when wearing it.

I always loved dealing with the owners of Otter Box and Cigar Caddy. They not only treat each individual with the utmost respect, the treat both customer and business client the with the same high standard. The best part? They stand behind their products 100%.

I also have a new holster on the way thanks to the OP!

The other thing I asked them about was the never ending 'bubbles' under the hard screen which have driven me crazy since I bought the thing. They provided two solutions and the free solution is working VERY well. Its like having a new case and I can actually see the screen! Thought I would pass the info along in case anyone else was having the same issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OtterBox CS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To remove the oil slick/air bubble from the screen on the case, You can watch the video attached below, as our engineers have found that this is a solution that works. Please watch the video first and then decide if you would like to try this solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7vvblnzoY

If you would rather not try the solution above you can also purchase an anti-glare screen protector can be applied to the phone and will solve the oil slick issue. The only one we can recommend is the one attached below as it gave us the best results. If you want to shop around you should make sure the screen protector is anti-glare and has a matte finish. Some screen protectors can make the iPhone screen look a little pixilated but that issue was minimal with the one below.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/antiglare-film-for-iphone-3g</div></div>

Good luck.

GM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The version 2.0 belt-clip is no doubt holding the case more securely. This was probably the best, no hassle, customer service encounter I have ever had.
</div></div>

+100 on that!!! Customer service was simpy awesome!
My iPhone has been in the new clip for over a week now and this is the longest it has been off the pavement since I put it in the Otterbox.

I got mine yesterday as well. I was amazed how well it holds the iPhone. Between this and the baby powder trick its like I jsut got a whole new phone for free.

gm

A new twist. The little flap on the silicone skin that covers the headphone jack tore off. Not from excessive wear, just normal use. Oh well, I figured that they sent me the new clip at no cost, so I emailed them about the price of buying just a skin. The response was that the skin would be replaced at no charge as part of their warranty. I am questioning the amount of money they have spent (lost) replacing clips and other gear, but I guess that the reputation for stellar customer service will gain more customers in the end.

Otterbox stands by it's products. No question.

I just sent them a request to get a new clip also. Thanks for the heads-up!

If you want to pay for it, a Moblie Me account has a "phone locator" feature that I have used once due to the loose Otter Box clip. Lost the phone in the woods near my house, logged on to Moblie Me, had it locate my phone on the sat. map, went to the area, and had my wife activate the locator tone from the computer (the phone was in silent mode from hunting the night before so calling it was worthless). Heard the tone, found the phone in about 30 secs, probably would have found it eventually, but this was much faster. You can also remotely wipe and deactivate the phone if someone were to steal it to protect info on stored on the phone. I think it costs about $100 a year for the service, but it has been worth it to me.

Holy chit, Mang... The new skin arrived today. That is fantastic customer service!!!

Many thanks to the OP! Mine arrived 2 days after the request and it's tight!

My 3G iPhone has lived a nice life the last 15 months in the OB Defender.

My first one had cracks in the hard case around the sync/charging port.

I replaced it a few weeks ago with a new case.

The new belt clip is much better than the old one. The new skin also fits better and locks into the plastic shell better too.

OB is the way to go if you have an iPhone.

I sent Otterbox an E-Mail 1 1/2 hours ago and just recieved a reply wanting my addy to send me a new clip.
Gotta give them props for their customer service.

I got my replacement 2 days ago. Definitely holds the phone better. Well worth the time to send them an email.

Called them 1 week later they sent me a complete cover and the new belt clip,works great.It's nice to have people that cover there products.