• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pacific Tool & Gauge SUCKS!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 113831
  • Start date
Really ? I've been dealing with them for many years and yet to have a bad one. Direct drop in fit for McMillan and Manners. Never had an issue in the 35-40 or so that I've fitted.

They even come with 2 mag latches to accommodate different heights to compensate for stock variations.

Out of 4 I have seen 2 that the mag well was taller than the pillars.

They made me some custom reamers for my pistol barrel manufacturing company a few years back. They were a compete joke, not in tolerance, not even close. Never got my money back.

I placed an order for a 3 position safety for a Mauser 98 and a long action Rem 700. The Mauser safety was in stock and the 3 position for the long action 700 was a custom order. The 98 safety showed in less than a week, the invoice showing the 700 safety was backordered. The Mauser 3-position safety is made by Dakota Arms, or at least that is the packaging it comes in.

About 6 weeks later the 700 safety showed up and I did the install and all is good, the safety works like it should and the shroud is polished ready for bluing. The web site said the long action Rem 700 safety was a non-stock item and would take 6-8 weeks, so they made their estimate. I was not billed for twice for shipping as happened in the past sometimes with PT&G split orders.

I received an order I placed about two months ago. No shipping notification, just showed up. At least it’s here.

Wow, three pages of hate. I ordered a 22 Creedmoor "no turn neck" reamer from PTG and the wait wasn't long at all. My gunsmith chambered three rifles with the reamer and all three of us have been turning necks ever since.

If they sized down from a 6.5 creed the necks will get thicker.They will need to turn them. A lot depends on what brass they used.
Did you get a reamer print and what was it the neck thickness that you wanted.

Reactions: Clark
Haha. Oops. Reading comprehension owns. The brand brass does make a difference sometimes.

I ordered a .224 grizzly rod, range rod and indicating rod along with the master bushing set. I got 1 rod 4 weeks later, another rod 4 weeks after that, never even got the third rod, and 4 of the bushings were out of spec from their label. I was NOT impressed and will never order from them again, ever.

not too long ago i ran into these guys on google when looking for head space gauges. glad I didn't pull the trigger.

I may get bit but i have checked every one of the reamers sent to me by PTG and even the special orders. I have not had any issues to date. Only errors I’ve had are ones i made in ordering or not knowing what i was ordering.

I recently ordered a CIP length DBM and both an AR15 and AR10 lapping tool from PTG, had everything within three weeks which I did not think was too bad. My stock is being inletted and DBM being installed by my smith so will know how it all worked out once he is done.

I ordered Remington bottom metal on 4-10-20 and received it 4-13-20 . A nice lady took my order and when it arrived everything looked good.

im glad i found this post to say the least.... lol I bought a small lathe a year or two ago and im wanting to get tooled out to thread barrels, chamber, and blue print.. Where else can a guy find all the bullshit one needs to do all this properly? i see Manson mentioned.

Man I feel for you, and I'd talk to the BBB and file a compliant. Probably the best thing you can do is to leave your experience with doing business with them on the forums like you did here so one else will have to have a bad experience by going there.Find a way to leave proper feedback, maybe Yelp? I know that I avoid businesses with bad feed back.
Thank you for the heads up, and Hope everything works out

Wow, this is sad to read. I spoke to the owner Dave Kiff last year when I was building my 280AI regarding his reamer print Criterion had sent me. I got through first call and he was exceedingly helpful. I did not order anything directly from him though.

Was considering ordering a Remington 700 one piece bolt from him. After reading all the warnings in this thread, I’m thinking twice.

Any recommendations for a custom made replacement Remington 700 1-piece bolt?

Was considering ordering a Remington 700 one piece bolt from him. After reading all the warnings in this thread, I’m thinking twice.

Any recommendations for a custom made replacement Remington 700 1-piece bolt?
The Bolt should work fine they make a good product You will need to insure you know what clearance you want and then also if you are going to coat it for per example with Cera coat u want to leave more clearance. Most issue people complain about is due to not knowing what and how to order special parts. There is no such thing as bolt on. In the aftermarket work just like a racing engine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ksracer
Why not send your bolt and action to LRI and have them perform their time and tig procedure? They fix the bolt timing and weld the handle to the bolt body. You can have them install a new knob while it's there too.

Reactions: Bradu
Why not send your bolt and action to LRI and have them perform their time and tig procedure? They fix the bolt timing and weld the handle to the bolt body. You can have them install a new knob while it's there too.

I may just do that. Thanks for the tip. I’m also aware that it could cost considerably more to have everything I’d like done, than just buying a new bolt. Does anyone besides PTG make a one piece Remington bolt?

Two weeks ago I Ordered a Serengeti reamer direct from ptg and got it the following week. Call them first and ensure they have it on the shelf.

I had a similar experience buying direct. cancelled and paid more from Midway

Yes they do going on 5 weeks waiting on a set of 6 creed gauges. Guess I'm going to find another set since I just bought a barrel for a action I have laying around

I ordered a .224 grizzly rod, range rod and indicating rod along with the master bushing set. I got 1 rod 4 weeks later, another rod 4 weeks after that, never even got the third rod, and 4 of the bushings were out of spec from their label. I was NOT impressed and will never order from them again, ever.

these motherfuckers actually sent me the missing rod. got it in the mail a few weeks ago and forgot about this thread.

still not spending another dime with them. ever

Attachments

• 20200617_075807.jpg
    20200617_075807.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 84
Wish I'd seen this thread a month ago, it wouldve saved a bunch of headaches on my part.
Same story as many before me, ordered bottom metal for my Rem 700, was told it was in stock and the liar on the other end had hands on it as we spoke. Yesterday was a month and still waiting. Have called three times to check order status and get a different story each time. Detected the unmistakable odor of BS emminating from my phone last time. Lesson learned. PTG sucks. Wouldn't order from them again even if they were having a free give away.
I take no pleasure in the miseries of others but if PTG went belly up and DK had to pick up cans on the roadside to make a living it would serve him right.

Reactions: airborne6.8
I had the same experience ordering head space gauges. I won't go back there. I think they manufacture product after it is ordered.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
Ordered an Accurate Mag 3.775, nosler bolt stop and DBM latch last week. Got it Tuesday this week. Always had great luck with product from them. I don't order things expecting them right away tho. Plan ahead.

Ordered an Accurate Mag 3.775, nosler bolt stop and DBM latch last week. Got it Tuesday this week. Always had great luck with product from them. I don't order things expecting them right away tho. Plan ahead.
Well when you're told by the person taking you're order that the product is in stock, ready to ship, and they actually have it in the palm of their hand as they speak and will get it out that day theres no way to justify a month passing and then being told it is still being assembled when you call for a status report.
I'm glad you got your part in a timely fashion though. Good for you.

Reactions: gnochi
There are two types of gun enthusiasts: Those who have been fucked by PTG and those who will be.
Picked up 2 of their M70 1 piece aluminum bottom metals. I’m not a smith, but I do understand gun mechanics, design and machining more than the average enthusiast. Good lord I could not make myself use them, cheap tweaked dog crap parts.

Got any interest in doing 1 piece bottom metal for the 70’s?

Picked up 2 of their M70 1 piece aluminum bottom metals. I’m not a smith, but I do understand gun mechanics, design and machining more than the average enthusiast. Good lord I could not make myself use them, cheap tweaked dog crap parts.

Got any interest in doing 1 piece bottom metal for the 70’s?

It's coming...

I've been getting bushing sets and reamers from PTG in stock shipped in a timely matter. I use JGS for any custom tweaking, they've been great.

Finally got my set of gauges from them aug 8th I won't ever spend a dime on their stuff again.

I ordered a 243 Ackley gauge since they were the only ones I could find it at. I was figuring I'd forget about it and it would show up next spring.

Couldn't believe I got it and a recoil lug (both showed out if stock) within 2 weeks. Only ordered a recoil lug since I already have their tapered jig and it was $25. I need to lap that out and see how flat it was.

I ordered a 243 Ackley gauge since they were the only ones I could find it at. I was figuring I'd forget about it and it would show up next spring.

Couldn't believe I got it and a recoil lug (both showed out if stock) within 2 weeks. Only ordered a recoil lug since I already have their tapered jig and it was $25. I need to lap that out and see how flat it was.
I was like another fella when I called i was told they had them in stock 4 months later I got them

This little mistake cost me an inch of barrel since I relief cut my threads. Their headspace gauge was labled improperly and I cut the chamber to fit the gauge.
Thats after I waited almost 12 weeks for the reamer. I called several times the previous couple weeks and the lady said it was almost finished. Then two weeks later I got a hold of Dave and he got the order moving.

10.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: ken226
I'm good at making mistakes :), less of them as I get older :), not trying to be mean but did you even LOOK at that before you cut the chamber ? I worked for a tool and die company and got a feel for how much stock gets left on stuff to grind, that part for sure was made wrong on the lathe, then ground incorrectly too, IE they shot for the wrong number from the start. I have seen some silly mistakes over the years, one of them the person drawing the part in cad pulled the dimension of a hole dia from the chamfer not the hole ID..so the hole dia +-.001" was precision ground to end up .06" oversize for what was supposed to be a precise slip fit. Then the parts got remade AGAIN in a rush to be made on lathe, have mill work done, go to heat treat and grind, and AGAIN discover on assembly that the fit was sloppy :).

I guess we can never have back what was, but my first purchases from Dave Kiff were back when he advertised every month in several magazines for live pilot wildcat specials for something like $125 and delivery was 3 weeks. That was when Manson had just left Clymer and Clymer was a LOT more $$ and a LOT longer delivery time. Manson was not well set up yet. That apparently was a good market for Pacific Precision (what the company name was then) because the reamers seemed nice, the delivery was good, etc.

I think the 2008 run on guns, ammo, barrels and the like, the gulf wars did their part too put some mfg where they could make a lot more money and kind of set their traditional smaller customers aside. ...or put them way down on the priority list.

PTG hasn’t been good for over five years. I’m surprised they’re still in business. I could tell stories that would take all day to type. It’s a shame to, they were once the goto for tooling for rifle builders. Manson or JGS when it went to crap and never looked back.

Reactions: Davester
PTG emailed a tracking number for my bottom metal a week ago today but come Monday morning it was'nt showing any activity so I called to verify it had indeed shipped and was told it had it just didnt go out until that morning.
Well it showed up today. Honestly, it's very well made, fits and function perfectly.
But, the fact remains that they lied to me intentionally three times. Theres no excuse for that and I will never be able to trust them again.

Reactions: RogueTanker
Equal opportunity...gotta report the positive, as well as the negative...
Primarily because there is no other choice for aftermarket M700 bolts, I ordered a custom one-piece body as well as the M16 extractor for it and some tooling on 8/15.

One week later, I received the tooling and extractor.
The following week, received the bolt body. So, two weeks for a custom bolt advertised as 2-3 months lead time- and they shipped what they had in stock right away. Bolt mic'd out precisely as ordered.

Surely have had my issues in the past with them, but this one went as well as it could go.

I worked there for a few years. It's like a lot of businesses. The managers are talented, all of them are still friends. They hear the complaints every day and really tried to get the place to run smoother, its their careers that are at stake, but they would hit a wall month after month. That wall was the owner and control of the amount of resources, mostly people and a the budget needed to get things organized and keep them that way. We did invested in Epicor software. You buy the software, but you still have to input all your companies data and get organized. The problems was mostly the data. Unorganized garbage in equals garbage out and the owner pulled the plug intermittently and refused to let anyone work on it for months at a time. You can not run a business with over a hundred people like you did when there was five. A lot of talented people that I know have left one way or the other because of the chaos. There are still some very good people there and they all say that the business would triple sales if they could run it like normal and keep happy customers. I really hope that one day the restrictions on management are removed and the company can function like it should. Until then they will keep having employees post positive reviews to offset some negative ones and threads like this will keep popping up on the internet.

Buy 4 same caliber chamber finish reamers from ptg and I'll bet money every one will have a different length freebore.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRI