• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Painting Stainless Steel Barrel and Action???

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
I would like to give the metal work of my stainless steel Howa a coat of matt black paint.

I am nearing the end of having a rifle built on a Sako action, and once the dust settles on that, I intend upgrading the stock and the barrel of the Howa, so I don't want to spend too much on it at the moment..

Would matt black high temp engine paint be suitable and if so, does the stainless steel need any special priming? The paint I am looking at is the standard rattle can engine paint available in motoring stores....

I know most here favour Krylon, but these paints very difficult to get in the UK and are about three times the price you guys pay for them..

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: Painting Stainless Steel Barrel and Action???

Peter:

There are guys here who have done plenty of rifle painting and some turn out work the equal of Michelangelo
wink.gif
...I'm not one of 'em
grin.gif
, but here are a few suggestions that have worked for me anyway.

If you want an even finish, whatever paint you do use, cleaning/degreasing really well first is extremely important, careful disassembly/masking/filling of whatever you don't want painted and/or can't paint over, use latex gloves when handling the parts and while actually painting, prepare a location where you can do the painting/drying with the least handling of the parts, figure how you are going to hang the parts and make strong hangers, warm (not roast) what you are going to paint, use light even coats as per manufacturer instructions and let it dry at least twice as long as manufacturer's suggestions before handling, don't get antsy to fondle your work. It is all in the preparation
wink.gif
my friend.

Here's my '96 M700 SVSF in Brownell's Matte Black Aluma-Hyde. Best to allow that to dry for a week
shocked.gif
...but it is probably the most durable non-baking option). Stock is painted as well. Trigger assembly was removed, rifle still has the nickel trigger and safety only because paint won't adhere to those parts and it is a sweet factory trigger. I do need to find a blue safety and replace that though.

050.jpg

Best of luck...

Cheers for that...

I too lack any skills in the Michelangelo department, but if i can get my metal work to look like yours I will be very pleased..

The bad news is that I don't think I can get Aluma-Hyde hee in the UK and I doubt Brownells will put a rattle can in the international post either...

What did you do with the "inside" of the action? I would like to get paint in there too, but I'm not sure if its advisable or not??

With regards your safety, have you tried what we call a "special metals" primer? This is an etching primer designed ffor priming non ferros metals such as aluminium ect...The stuff we get in the DIY stores over here is generally brush on, but that wouldn't be an issue for your trigger or safety catch..

Regards,

Peter

Cheers back at ya...

I've had colleagues from several countries order from Brownell's. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">I don't know that they will, won't, can or can't ship rattle cans across the pond to the Motherland though. If you'd like, I can call them Monday am and find out for you</span>... Duh...just checked the catalog,
frown.gif
NO aerosols in international shipments
frown.gif
. Sorry for bringing it up in the first place...

FWIW, previously painted the same rifle plain old, nothing special, Walmart flat black as a base coat and covered that with a half assed camo, using the same sort of paint about 6-7 years ago. It held up ok except for; mostly the bolt handle from manipulation, the comb due to facial oils and cleaning fluid that dripped off the boreguide, the RR reciever bridge chipped by brass, a bit of wear at the pistol grip and at the muzzle. Those areas wore thru pretty quickly, and truth be told, that rifle didn't see very much use before it got stuffed in the back of the safe awaiting better glass.

Since the wear had nothing to do with heat, I don't know that high temp paint would make any difference really. At least with the garden variety flat black, you can strip it off and repaint as required/desired...Just a thought...

Not a good pic, but here it, ahhh, was
smile.gif

100_0142-1-1.jpg

Oh, inside the action...I carefully cut to fit painters tape for the bolt raceways and inside the bridges, a ball of tape filled the whole area at the mouth of the chamber. The bolt was disassembled and the bolt head/face/lug area was taped off. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">The Aluma-Hyde worked out really well and shows no wear after many more rounds that when it was painted with...just paint.</span>

I'm sure one of the real Michelangelos here will pipe-up sooner or later and suggest some better options.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Let me know if you want me to call</span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through"> </span> ...

Best of luck with your project Peter...

Pete E
What Sub 2 said is right, spend most of your time in the prep and it will pay off in the end result! I do the bake on finishes and have done rattle can camo jobs. Remember that the regular spray paints will strip right off if contact with Hoppes or other cleaning solvents.
Regardless, whatever you are going to do, prep work prep work prep work...
I will clean my barreled actions in a non-caustic dip then finish off with an automotive brake cleaner - wearing gloves as Sub 2 said. Hang the parts and make sure they are clean and dry. Multiple light coats are better than one or two heavy coats. Spray it on evenly covering all areas you do not want paint which are:
Muzzle tip- a golf tee gently pushed into the muzzle end will take care of this.
Any bearing surfaces such as lugs of bolt, Lug races, chamber, trigger componets.
I do not paint bolt threads either.
Good luck friend, post pics when you're done!

Robb

See if you can find some high heat header paint that contains ceramic. Ive used some stuff called Duplicolor high heat ceramic in gunmetal grey, but you can also get it in matte black. Same prep as described, hung sprayed in a number of light coats then baked in the oven at 120deg C for about 10 mins. A very tough and durable finish.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

870barrel2.jpg

A shotgun barrel done in it.

cheers,

JJ

See if you can find the chemicals for blackening. If you can beadblast the barreled action and dip it in the room temp blackening solution you would probably be happy.

Thanks Gents,

Project went on the back burner for a week or so because of work, but its up and running again now.

Just finished filling the fore arm of the tupperware Hogue stock and bedding first 1" or so of the barrel...Will know how its turned out tomorrow, if I can get the action out!

Providing that all goes well, painting the barrelled action will be next..

Regards,

Peter