• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Painting w/Stencils...bull dog Arms.

netranger6

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Vicoria, Texas
Okay, so I have an AICS in FDE. Ordered the Digital Camo stencils from BullDog Arms, with female stencils. Now, there are so many patterns, unsure of how to go about it. I want to retain some of the FDE of the skins, and incorporate a digital look. Do I use the females firt or the males? Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Re: Painting w/Stencils...bull dog Arms.

Females get used last

I am certainly no expert at this but you first need an idea of what you want as far as the patterns and colors and have to be able to see the patterns and colors in reverse when using stencils.

If you want to retain some of the original FDE apply male stencils where desired.Then apply a base coat, some say the darkest and some will say the lightest. I have used both and to me it doesnt matter. In this case say spray a coat of green, then apply male stencils in your deired pattern, remember the green will be in the final finish. After your done with placing the stencils on the green your ready to spray with another color, say a tan. After that has dried I remove the stencils and then go back and fill voids and do overlays with the female stencils. With the female stencils you can use any color. I also use them when applying black for a shadow effect.If the lightest color use use seems a bit bright you can mist or use overspray to cut it a bit. When you are satisfied with the look apply a couple coats of flat clear. Hope this is a little help.

Here's a pic of male stencils applied over green skins that are awaiting a coat of tan. The desired effect was to get large areas of green along with the tan in a vertical pattern.

IMG_1740.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am certainly no expert at this but you first need an idea of what you want as far as the patterns and colors and have to be able to see the patterns and colors in reverse when using stencils.

If you want to retain some of the original FDE apply male stencils where desired.Then apply a base coat, some say the darkest and some will say the lightest. I have used both and to me it doesnt matter. In this case say spray a coat of green, then apply male stencils in your deired pattern, remember the green will be in the final finish. After your done with placing the stencils on the green your ready to spray with another color, say a tan. After that has dried I remove the stencils and then go back and fill voids and do overlays with the female stencils. With the female stencils you can use any color. I also use them when applying black for a shadow effect.If the lightest color use use seems a bit bright you can mist or use overspray to cut it a bit. When you are satisfied with the look apply a couple coats of flat clear. Hope this is a little help.

Here's a pic of male stencils applied over green skins that are awaiting a coat of tan. The desired effect was to get large areas of green along with the tan in a vertical pattern.

IMG_1740.jpg
</div></div>

I have zero creativity. What I'm looking to accomplish is a darker, Marine like digital camo, incorporating the FDE of the skins.

That is exactly what you will end up with using the techniques above. To help you think through this process you are wanting to follow. After you have cleaned everything well you will begin to lay down your first set of stencils from bulldog. These stencils will be your FDE color when everything is said and done so depending on how much FDE you want is how many you will use in this first step. Once you are happy then you will spray the whole thing with another color, maybe black. Let that dry and then come back with more stencils and place those around, knowing that this layer will end up being black, and make sure to overlap some of your previous stencils and such for effect. Then once you have completed this you might want to paint the whole thing green and then you let everything dry and then you can come back and peel up everything you have and then use the female stencils to fill in and add details. A very good digital paint job is a time consuming and resource consuming thing and this is why folks like myself charge a bit more when we do these types of paint jobs professionally.

In the end you want something like this

Keiths204_1.jpg

Or for closer to MarPat colors this:

4084.jpg

Better pic here

Thanks guys for the input. Helps a lot. So what you're saying, is use the male stencils first? I have a roll of stencils, and can't really ID what is female what is male. Doesn't help that they are white on white.

you will see a square cut around the stencil and that square will be the female part.

So in the above post, the guy that has the blue tape on there, those stencils are the males? Like I said, zero creative bone in me...lol.

yep and if you also bought the female parts then it will have a square cut around those shapes and when you remove the male part then the female part is left behind and then you pull out the square and bammmmmm you have the female stencil.

I'm in the middle of painting my McMillan stocked Armscorp M1 into a winter pattern using bulldog stencils. First time I've put this much detail into painting a gun - normally it's just hold some leaves/branches here and there and spray away, which I like also. I just wanted to try something a little cleaner - we'll see how it turns out. I'm only doing the stock - don't want to paint the metal as I swap it out in other stocks at times and a white barrel in the summer would look a little out of place.
smile.gif

Man, I have a shit ton of stencils. My AICS will not require this many, so I guess I will have mucho left overs.

Nice job ARPred.

Digital is a busy pattern, IMHO the digital camos look better the more templates you use. Another tip is that I draw an imaginary line parallel to the bore, and try to make all of my templates parallel to that line. Tough to do on the curved parts but looks good when you're done.

Also, the female templates don't work that great. I only use them after I've completed painting all of my colors, taken off the male templates and find something I don't like - such as an area that needs more color, a spot that got dinged, or to touch up some color that pulled off with the template (that will chap your ass).

You can use the female templates to layer the other colors over the TOP of your camo pattern after you've pulled off the male templates too.. that adds a very professional look.

Finally, for all camos, hit it with clear matte after you are done, that will even out the colors a lot.

ARfcom has a very good thread on gun refinishing, I've learned a lot from that site. Here's one of my digital jobs, this was a JP 6.5 grendel I did:

DSC02342.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana3gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job ARPred.

Digital is a busy pattern, IMHO the digital camos look better the more templates you use. Another tip is that I draw an imaginary line parallel to the bore, and try to make all of my templates parallel to that line. Tough to do on the curved parts but looks good when you're done.

Also, the female templates don't work that great. I only use them after I've completed painting all of my colors, taken off the male templates and find something I don't like - such as an area that needs more color, a spot that got dinged, or to touch up some color that pulled off with the template (that will chap your ass).

You can use the female templates to layer the other colors over the TOP of your camo pattern after you've pulled off the male templates too.. that adds a very professional look.

Finally, for all camos, hit it with clear matte after you are done, that will even out the colors a lot.

ARfcom has a very good thread on gun refinishing, I've learned a lot from that site. Here's one of my digital jobs, this was a JP 6.5 grendel I did:

DSC02342.jpg

</div></div>

nice job, good looking stuff

Axeman - never get tired of your..whatever the hell you call it, video? Wish I could paint that on a gun, I'd have plenty of takers!

Montanagunner, that AR looks great! I did a digital job on my .308, so i can appreciate your attention to detail. where are you from in MT? i'm from miles city but living in billings for school. is there a good range to use around here?

Thanks Beretta. It did take a long time. I don't do a lot of guns each year, but the ones I do...I want to be Grade A work. That digital project took me the better part of a week of evenings, and part of a weekend. I was really happy with the skull. Hard to see but the eyes fade from one color to another.

BigMikey - Thanks also. I'm in Helena. Haven't shot at all over in Billings so I don't know of any ranges over there..sorry.

Montanagunner thats the finest digital job I've seen, makes me want to get going on some. Were all of these airbrushed with duracoat?

Montana3gunner,
That is a sweet looking paint job. I think that is a great tip, on keeping all stencils on the same parallel line as the bbl. (I think that is what sets yours apart from so many that I have seen).
Tell me if I am correct on the order that you painted.
First paint complete rifle light grey, then apply male stencils. Next shoot the tan, pull all stencils and come back with female stencils for the dark color.
?? SScott

I've used Bulldog stenicls a few times, and his templates soemtimes have too much adhesive and pull paint off badly.

I've had better luck with the ones listed below. Yea, it's stencil made for painting paintball guns, but it has worked much better for me (spraying duracote.)

Mileage may vary.

And, with these, you get better patterns with more stencil, male and female.

http://www.tacticalcamo.com/

Yeah, and the Bulldogs are almost impossible to see under normal light. I have hada buger of a time getting them off the roll. Decided to say "fuck" it, and going to have my skins dipped.`

I would go with the natural veggies in your AO. It tends to blend better and with the right colors and layout you will be just fine. I start with just a mesh laundry bag wrapped around the rifle and put a good base color on with this. Then you just lay out your veggies and spray the edges of them and repeat as needed in other areas and with any colors that you plan to use. Good luck!!

And did any one here use a type of shake can spray paint or are all there dura coat?