• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pappy Van Winkle

PA, that bourbon is getting impossible to find. I'm learning that the only way to get it around here is to get on a waiting list. If they don't get enough bottles, then I'm screwed.

As a second resort, get yourself some Jefferson's Presidential Reserve (18 year). It tastes so close to Pappy 15 that I can 't hardly tell the difference.

^^^^ Find it in the Fall. Which bottle are you looking for? Obviously old Rip will be the easiest, then 12, 15, 20, and 23 consecutively in availability. I think we might have a 20 or 23 available around here, and swich's offer also applies to me. I'll give you the shipping and LQ store receipt so there are no misgivings. Personally I prefer the 15yr and try ot get a few bottles a year, and drink less than one if possible. (Not always the case.) That way I hopefully don't run out. GL in your search.

I ordered a bottle here in Virginia in July (12 YR is ALL they would even order), I think, and finally got it in October. $50 +. I'm not really a bourbon lover but it is some smooth shit. Good luck in your quest.

There are 4 bottles of Van Winkle here, 750 ml. @$55 each 12 year. Oval thing on the label that says Van Winkle, nothing about Pappy in the oval.
Is that the right stuff?
PM me if you want it. Cost plus shipping only. Regards, FM

Well damn, The local shop hasn't had any in a while. Now there is a little rub though. I was the 20th person to come in and ask in the last week, but that's not the rub. The rub is I am the SECOND one to mention SNIPERS HIDE. SO I have to ask, which one of you fucksticks is trying to pillage my local source???

I DID make superb Panty 6 points though! They have MB Roland's stuff here(small still up in Oakgrove KY nearby), namely their infamous 'Pink Panty Dropper', Pink Lemonade Moonshine, and Panty 6's favorite, Apple Pie Moonshine. She has been killing a nightly since tax season got started. She is working from 0730 - 1800/30 every night, to include Saturday, and starting this week, possibly Sunday TOO! Although her professional degree is in Accounting, she as of last year is a Certified, Licensed Tax Preparer in the company she works for(yeah, proud of her, she has really made them unable to do their jobs without her)

Anyway, no Pappy's here until the new release. The owner said they will be lucky to receive two to three cases and that will go quick once it is out on the shelves.

ps Saw your PM's figured it would be better answered here

Last edited:
The 4 bottles" here" are now on their way to 2 different Hiders I was surprised that it was here.
I had no idea what it even was, let alone that it was something someone had looked for and could not find.
Glad to help out fellow Hiders. Busch beer is better than that. Regards, FM

just sold 3 bottles of the 22 or 25 year stuff for $1500, try Sherry Lehman in NY, ask for Jen.

I have officially stuck out for now. Ill keep the pms from those who contacted me, and as I hit the stores, ill keep my eyes peeled. Don't give up hope, but slim Pickens for right now. My normal stop told me that when they switched to once a year distribution the normal bottle or 2 of the 20-23 was gone. Which usually sits until the next shipment. Ill keep looking and will let you know if I stumble across some.

Cognac

louis_xiii_cognac_426_decanter_gsu5u.jpg

Yeah that scotch must taste great getting "aged" in our used up bourbon barrels lol.

I love that the finest scotch comes from used american bourbon barrels. I love scotch too so i'm only too happy to help out the scots.

Remy Martin Louis XIII Grand Chablis, right?

For over 20 years I've wanted to try some of that stuff.... just to see what it was all about. I'll still say: "One day," and continue to look forward to it.

In the meantime, there are so many bourbon's that I've yet to get my hands on. But the list is dwindling, so very slowly. Canadian selections suck.

I might can help you out. My step mom worked for Buffalo Trace for a long time. Let me reach out to my contacts and see what is out there.
What year do you like?

Remy Martin Louis XIII Grand Chablis, right?

For over 20 years I've wanted to try some of that stuff.... just to see what it was all about. I'll still say: "One day," and continue to look forward to it.

In the meantime, there are so many bourbon's that I've yet to get my hands on. But the list is dwindling, so very slowly. Canadian selections suck.

I got to try it once, Sean. A buddy of mine has a friend who's a bartender at a swanky country club around here. We were in on a slow night and my buddy got him to pour us each about half a shot. Really sweet and smooth. Wish I could afford a bottle, but alas, life as the 99% has its drawbacks. A nice alternative is the Pierre Ferrand 'Seleccion des Anges". Is about $150 for a bottle and a damn fine drink. A couple of snifters in the evening and you wake up smelling like aged Limousin Oak.

The worst Scotch (single malt) is still better than the best Bourbon.

Obviously you haven't made the mistake of trying Glen Garrote 7 yr.

I felt bad giving that crap to a bunch of drunks at a party. I would almost rank it behind Jim Beam.

Maggot, thank you for the comparison, but alas.... my search of the Manitoba Liquor Mart website does not have "Pierre Ferrand 'Seleccion des Anges" listed in any way. Ergo, such is not available to me. As the 'Mart' is a gov't run monopoly and dictates ALL boozification decisions. This is because they are so much smarter and more knowledgeable, eh?

KYS338, considering the above statement, I cannot deny that you've piqued my curiosity. Take cover for impending PM. ;)

Obviously you haven't made the mistake of trying Glen Garrote 7 yr.

I felt bad giving that crap to a bunch of drunks at a party. I would almost rank it behind Jim Beam.

Haven't had a scotch that was younger than 12 that was worth it. I think Albelour makes a decent 10 but ive never tried it. Oban 14 is my go to, and balvenie double wood and recenty balvenie caribbean cask are good as well.

Blended is for unrefined heathens

Someone please ban this guy, sheesh! Anyone in his AO, just smack the back of his head next time you see him and tell him it's from me

Its ok not to be cultured.....

Scotch is what people who have the money and the taste, drink.

True Pappy no longer made. Buffalo this and Rip Van that don't compare. I was fortunate enough 5-6 years ago to purchase two bottles of Pappy 20 Year Reserve... Yes. The world's number 1 rated bourbon. I paid $105 per bottle at that time. Some of the best money I've ever spent. A couple of years ago I saw a bottle here or there online (20 yr) ranging from $600 to $1000 per bottle. Have seen none since. If you have the money, shell out $400 for some Mitchter's 20 year. Around $85, Jefferson 18 year. Around $45, good old Blanton's. Best of luck.

Its ok not to be cultured.....

Scotch is what people who have the money and the taste, drink.

Drinking Scotch does not make one cultured, no matter how old or expensive the bottle. It just makes the individual appear to be one more dillitante with money.
Education, my friend, and long term training of the palate for great taste to foods, wines, bourbons and other great things are only the beginning to becoming cultured. Then there is the training in manners and behaviors of which you obviously have none, or are severely lacking thereof. Culture is also found in higher learning institutions while pursuing majors in the sciences and minors in the liberal arts, as one does need to be able to hold, and maintain valid and sound conversation at the pub or in societal gatherings where proper dictum is demanded.
When you can properly lay on a meal of the highest quality, serve it with the correct vintages, lay on a proper desert with the right libation, then choose the finest cigar to match that desert and after dinner libation, all while carrying on nothing but the highest level of good discourse, you sir, MIGHT be partially on your way to becoming cultured. Until then, though, you are nothing more than a bungling dilettante making facetious statements about being cultured, of which you do not know much about.

Drinking Scotch does not make one cultured, no matter how old or expensive the bottle. It just makes the individual appear to be one more dillitante with money.
Education, my friend, and long term training of the palate for great taste to foods, wines, bourbons and other great things are only the beginning to becoming cultured. Then there is the training in manners and behaviors of which you obviously have none, or are severely lacking thereof. Culture is also found in higher learning institutions while pursuing majors in the sciences and minors in the liberal arts, as one does need to be able to hold, and maintain valid and sound conversation at the pub or in societal gatherings where proper dictum is demanded.
When you can properly lay on a meal of the highest quality, serve it with the correct vintages, lay on a proper desert with the right libation, then choose the finest cigar to match that desert and after dinner libation, all while carrying on nothing but the highest level of good discourse, you sir, MIGHT be partially on your way to becoming cultured. Until then, though, you are nothing more than a bungling dilettante making facetious statements about being cultured, of which you do not know much about.

Thanks for the Laugh there highspeed....LOL

If you let a drink define who you are and how much money you retain. You aren't worth much as a man.....
It's alcohol..... relax

True Pappy no longer made. Buffalo this and Rip Van that don't compare. I was fortunate enough 5-6 years ago to purchase two bottles of Pappy 20 Year Reserve... Yes. The world's number 1 rated bourbon. I paid $105 per bottle at that time. Some of the best money I've ever spent. A couple of years ago I saw a bottle here or there online (20 yr) ranging from $600 to $1000 per bottle. Have seen none since. If you have the money, shell out $400 for some Mitchter's 20 year. Around $85, Jefferson 18 year. Around $45, good old Blanton's. Best of luck.

If you are paying over $200.00 for 20 year old you have lost you marbles! A bottle of 23 year old is about $245.00 for us here in the mother land. ;)

Thanks for the Laugh there highspeed....LOL

That is about what I expected from one so low of brow. Military deployment money does not make one cultured. Being an officer does not make one cultured. Being an NCO with a big SUV and Prince Hall plates does not make one cultured. I might see you having a slight modicum of culture as a military individual if you come from a family of the same. I believe, however, you are not, your reply shows you to be less than what you think you are.
Your reply is weak, lacks anything of value, and is nothing more than proof that what I stated rings true. Keep on spending your money of good liquor. You have not the palate, nor the ability to truly enjoy the nuances of the drink. My guess is that you don;t even properly know how to enjoy or experience each Scotch, nor are you educated in each area where Scotch is stilled. Good liquor is wasted on your lack of culture and breadth of experience.
I am looking forward to seeing more proof from you that I am correct in my opinion

As stated above, .....

I have found that tasting vintages of any liquor above those 23 years old is very tough to get all the highlights and notes to come out upon the palate. Having trained my palate to pull every nuance I can from all foods, and drinks has been a lifetime long study. Tasting each liquor, there is usually a certain way to do so. In Scotches, some require a spritz of steamed water, others require a slight dash of cool water, and others demand only a glass. The differences in a straight nosing glass to a short highball may well bring out much flavor as the liquor is opened up and the proof is dropped to a slightly lower amount. I have seen both younger and older Scotches tasted the same way, which is very wrong according to cultures of the bottle and the barrel.
As each vintage has it's own ways, so does each have it's own glass. Wines require several styles of glass for each grape. Bourbons and Scotches require a nosing glass for that small taste of the straight, but a more open highball or other glass for the dash of heated or cool water. As each beer takes a different glass so does the sweet porto's and the distilled Cognacs.
These things do not come to even those with a four year degree in Culinary Arts, as these are just fundamental's. It is the trail that winds around each tree, over small hills, and through large meadows that allows one to be able to look at each bottle for what it is, then sample it's contents as they should be. It is the individual who takes this path, that discovers one day, it is not about the wealth of the path, nor is it about the breadth. It is about seeing the path for what it is, and seeing the simplicity within. Once this happens, the table can be set with simple board of cheeses, a bottle or two of beer or wine, and when that is done, select a nice blended aged cigar to go with a pour or two of fine bourbon or Scotch or Cognac. As one looks over the rim of the glass, it becomes apparent that a life spent upon the path is indeed good, and well met.

Good read! I have started out in the world of single malt scotch and have learned to appreciate the subtle nuances that separate a good scotch from a great scotch. My current favorite is Balvenie 15 (single barrel) which to me is better than the Balvenie 21 of which I have a bottle as well.

However, I am not a "one whiskey" type of guy to profess the superiority of scotch, and am greatly looking forward to delving into bourbon next. I have read nothing but good about Pappy Van Winkle and would like to acquire a bottle of each of the more desireable PVW's.

Any other suggestions for the beginning bourbon sampler? I am glad to read that there are some on here who's palates are more expanded than the "Crown Royal is great cuz it's SMOOTH" types.

Also- I have a set of Celtic Malts nosing glasses. Do I need something different for bourbon? Do most bourbons require a small amount of water to develop the flavor like scotch?

Hey BM
Try Highland park 15 or 18 for scotch. Its pretty great stuff and not really that expensive. Definitley a what you get and what you pay for type of scotch. I tried some fairly expensive scoth Lamprhoaig sp? it was a really dark color and it was absolutley pure piss. LOL, A sip was like chewing a glass of smoke. Not pleasant for me even a little bit. So expensive does not always equate to better scotch or whiskey. I have a dram of 40 yr Highland park. I was going to drink it when i turned 40 but never got around to it. I am curious to see what something tastes like after being bottles for 40 years!

Hey BM
Try Highland park 15 or 18 for scotch. Its pretty great stuff and not really that expensive. Definitley a what you get and what you pay for type of scotch. I tried some fairly expensive scoth Lamprhoaig sp? it was a really dark color and it was absolutley pure piss. LOL, A sip was like chewing a glass of smoke. Not pleasant for me even a little bit. So expensive does not always equate to better scotch or whiskey. I have a dram of 40 yr Highland park. I was going to drink it when i turned 40 but never got around to it. I am curious to see what something tastes like after being bottles for 40 years!

Just like it did when it went in. It stops ageing after it leaves the barrel.

^^^ guys, I am asking about bourbon, not scotch. I'm pretty familiar with scotch.

There are really good bourbons that are less than 15 years old. The 12 year old Elijah Craig is better than the 18. Quite a few 'unknowns' are well under the $50 mark that will stand against anything else.
A nosing glass is a nosing glass. It should resemble a 'fine woman's backside as she is sitting' type shape(nice and round at the base, thinning into a nice waist, and opening up to a bountiful breast).
Look for the Bourbon thread. It has a very good list