• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Patriotism, what does it mean to you?

HolyCity73

Not impressed
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
South Carolina
Back in the 80s, I asked both of my grandmothers what it meant to them. It was for a high school project on the subject.
These two old ladies had similar definitions. Both had to do with sacrifice and work toward the war effort. They both talked about their husbands being away (one in the pacific and one in Europe), their kids being raised by their neighbors due to the working in a plant and a mill, rationing, blackouts etc.
It was their duty to their country.

Without describing military service, because that is the ultimate in patriotic actions imo, how do you define it?
I am more interested in domestic actions.
no Webster cut and paste either!

Last edited:
Being able to hop in my truck, hop on my M/C and go anywhere I please (atleast, back in the day, anyways), buy what I want and do what I want. Having visited 95% of this country and seeing what there is to see and all the hard work, blood/sweat spilled, to make this country what it is. Also, all the people I have met along the way, conversations I've had, pretty much sums it up for me. I know you mentioned, not to mention, Military Service, but, having taken The Oath, at least 3 x in my life, it's a no-brainer and Patriotism just comes naturally to me. But, I'm starting to have my doubts, with the path our Nation is taking. I'm trying real hard not to lose faith. Time will tell. Mac

Being able to hop in my truck, hop on my M/C and go anywhere I please (atleast, back in the day, anyways), buy what I want and do what I want. Having visited 95% of this country and seeing what there is to see and all the hard work, blood/sweat spilled, to make this country what it is. Also, all the people I have met along the way, conversations I've had, pretty much sums it up for me. I know you mentioned, not to mention, Military Service, but, having taken The Oath, at least 3 x in my life, it's a no-brainer and Patriotism just comes naturally to me. But, I'm starting to have my doubts, with the path our Nation is taking. I'm trying real hard not to lose faith. Time will tell. Mac
Thanks mac. And I mentioned service because that, like I said, is the ultimate definition.

Following the truth, where ever it may lead, is more important to me than patriotism itself. Countries rise and countries fall but the truth, and by that I mean the Absolute Truth, that a Jewish carpenter spoke of, remains the same. If one does that then all bases are covered.

That said, I am both grateful and honored to have been raised in America where my generation (born 1949) has had more privilege and opportunity than any before. It is my sincere hope, wish, and will, that it continue, but I fear for our Republic.

Reactions: diverdon
Patriotism equates to support for our founders documents and the ideals upon which this county was founded together with a fervent desire to pass those rights to generations yet to come.

Patriotism equates to support for our founders documents and the ideals upon which this county was founded together with a fervent desire to pass those rights to generations yet to come.

Well said, DD

Patriotism, for me, is a belief in the ideals of our country. The ideals that are expressed in our constitution and bill of rights. Ideals worth fighting for, and this Memorial Day remembering those that paid the ultimate price. I don't believe in any man or party. And I will not kneel to any authority but in prayer to my God.

For me, patriotism means understanding, and agreeing with the principles this country was founded on. It means truly understanding the sacrifices that have been made by so many, that allow me to live and prosper in the greatest country on the planet. It means getting goosebumps every time I hear the national anthem, of feeling a tear well up in your eyes at the sight of Arlington, or being so proud at watching my daughter salute the flag during the pledge of allegiance. It means knowing what it truly means to be a true American, and be willing to die to protect that way of life.