• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Penalized for being "Too Proficient"?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    So in what other career is a person penalized because he, in this case she, trains to use the tools of their trade and does their job efficiently?

Read about this women in the Dillon "Blue Press" within the last year. A rookie.

I think the bad guy made a rookie mistake.

Guessing she will be asked With your skills and ability.....Why didnt you shoot him in the leg?"

It does appear he was a bit far away but I wasnt there. Good shooting though.

Looks like a good shoot to me. It's probably a good time for all police across the country to unify and walk off the job. 2-3 weeks with zero police presence. I'd think that would be enough to stop the bullshit lawsuits and calls to defund. While they're at it, blame the whole thing on Biden.

Controlled pairs, almost slow fire tempo compared to most all other police shootings. Force will be met with equal or more force.

Doesnt take long to close the distance and her be in trouble.

In an ideal situation if she had a second officer closer to her they could have potentially had one attempt to use a taser while the other peels away for a potential charging suspect..

We weren't there so just monday morning quarterbacking it, but everything seemed calm and slow. After taking 2 slow fire shots from a distance where I cant close width I think I'd drop my weapon

Reactions: Bender
    Looks like a good shoot to me. It's probably a good time for all police across the country to unify and walk off the job. 2-3 weeks with zero police presence. I'd think that would be enough to stop the bullshit lawsuits and calls to defund. While they're at it, blame the whole thing on Biden.
    That would be awesome.

No more BS gun laws or 4th violations.

No more protecting criminals from home or property owners.

No more tax and harass the tax slave while letting the criminals at the top and bottom run amuck

That would be awesome.

No more tax and harass the tax slave while letting the criminals at the top and bottom run amuck
    You're getting what I'm laying down. I don't do Facebook or anything. I think this idea should go viral. Would benefit us all . Somebody make it happen.

Reactions: deersniper
    Things work both ways. It would highlight the obvious oversteps and make people realize why good police are needed.

Been saying that since all this bullshit started. But on top of that, I would demand more funding.

She will probably be thought guilty due her custom stippling and Comp magwell.

Should be good as long as she has a letter from the department armorer.

Toni McBride is a competitive pistol shooter. She does some USPSA, and trains -alot-. To quote the old Templar from Indiana Jones. "He chose poorly".

She is probably the only cop that actually shoots like all the anti 2A activists think cops shoot like.

You know the "Don't worry, you don't need a gun. Only cops have the training and skill to save you."

But when they actually have that training and skill, mind you bought on their own dime and discipline, the same crowd wants to criminalize them.

She is probably the only cop that actually shoots like all the anti 2A activists think cops shoot like.

You know the "Don't worry, you don't need a gun. Only cops have the training and skill to save you."

But when they actually have that training and skill, mind you bought on their own dime and discipline, the same crowd wants to criminalize them.

While the percentage who put that kind of effort into training is small, it's definitely a non-zero number. My educated guess, based on my employer and coworkers, would be that about 2ish percent are avid competitive shooters. She's definitely not the only one.

Example, this guy has won the Bianchi cup many times. And a few other former Bianch Cup winners are his co-workers.

Last edited:
    Im guessing there is more to this story we are not being told.

To me it looks like a case of "Mayhem".

Im guessing a call came in about a wild driver crashing into multiple vehicles at such and such an intersection.

Knife man appears to have some sort of chemical "sustainment".

He could have laid down after the first two shots but had that certain "je na sais qua" that just made him stand again and take two more, and still came forward for two more.

He never expected Frank Hamer was going to get to scene first.

More evidence that handguns are not as lethal as people consider them which makes me concerned about the body counts in Chicago.......who are those three gunners?

We are getting half the story.

Only thing I got out of I this was "Officer, glad your not hurt. You did what had to be done in light of someone else's bad decision"

While the percentage who put that kind of effort into training is small, it's definitely a non-zero number. My educated guess, based on my employer and coworkers, would be that about 2ish percent are avid competitive shooters. She's definitely not the only one.

Example, this guy has won the Bianchi cup many times. And a few other former Bianch Cup winners are his co-workers.

When I look down the list of former Bianchi cup winners, there are quite a few I recognize.

It's there for sure but not the norm.

Between family, regular shifts, wanting to make more via OT and details, many don't have the time, or more accurately that doesn't reach high on the priority scale.

I'd love to 3gun game but the time it would take from family......not happening.

Getting to shoot static paper for an hour, once maybe twice a week....usually with a rifle.....not a job one, on the ride home is about best I can manage and I'm considered a "gun nut" among coworkers.

She was rock solid! Good presence of mind, love that she took a few steps back so that she could keep the vehicle between them if needed, she stopped the threat decisively but did not stop paying attention to her surroundings. I would have her on my team any day of the week. Sad to see she got stuck in a crummy suicide by cop move on the perps part. I don't think she fired too early at all, a man with a knife can cover ground faster than most people with marginal training can get accurate shots off. And if you have the misfortune of a FTF or other malfunction, you are going to be in a world of hurt. I wish our police forces had ten thousand of her around the nation. Worth far more than the shitty lawyer that will be trying to make her look like a villain.

In an ideal situation if she had a second officer closer to her they could have potentially had one attempt to use a taser while the other peels away for a potential charging suspect..

Really? Using less than lethal force against someone approaching you with a deadly weapon? Are you the one volunteering to face a knife attacker with a taser?

That would be awesome.

2-3 weeks?

Not long enough.

2-3 months, now that's a start

Reactions: BikePilot
    Sad to see she got stuck in a crummy suicide by cop move on the perps part.

I'm going to go with wacked out of his mind on drugs, which is also why he kept getting up and trying to go forward each time he got shot till he ran out of go.

Reactions: Maggot
    There's a lot of stupid in that video. Lot's of it. It's practically a gang in front of her all standing in middle of street shoulder to shoulder, then the other side has tons of people too.

Something was wrong with that guy. Either on drugs or mental defect. That whole posturing is hard to not notice (watched without sound); almost like a caricature. I'd guess he was about 15 yards away, maybe 20 - that'll come up in trial. She was fully behind the driver door of the Camry which puts her at 3.5-4 yards then 2 lane markers. I dare say if a civilian would have made shot, it'd likely be jail time. By no means am I blaming officer. She was super calm, professional, etc. - exactly what should be expected. The guy was deranged, one way or the other. Coming at a cop with a knife/box-cutter and expecting not to leave in a body bag is the very definition of insanity. I point out the distance because that will be the argument against her as nothing else was remotely wrong. I'm not arguing the distance was wrong either; just that it's going to be the one thing they go after.

Despite the fact that she was surrounded by lot's of people and it was a hostile environment, she told the perp to drop the knife, etc - everything by the book. Good shot, no charges, collect back pay, get pay increase!!

I'm going to go with wacked out of his mind on drugs, which is also why he kept getting up and trying to go forward each time he got shot till he ran out of go.
    Possibly both, witness on the phone with dispatch repeatedly states perp was in his vehicle "killing himself" with a knife.

At least bring a decent knife to the gunfight, it's kind of embarrassing that all they pulled off your dead body is a beat up box cutter...

Box cutters scare the fuck out of me.

So sharp the cts are pain free until you realize there is blood everywhere.

Unless you know how to fight a real knife a box cutter is probably going to create more damage with less operator skill.

A lot of ground can be covered in the blink of an eye. Not everyone stops instantly when shot. Good shoot.
    I think I was abundantly clear it was a good shot. I also know 7 yards rule and how much ground somebody can cover. Pretty sure the first real training class I ever had that was demonstrated on ME by two LE's who taught the class. . My point remains, if it was not an LE that made the shot, that shot would likely be deemed too far away. It's a different situation as well as it was an LE call and not self-defense. Self-defense it would likely be VERY dependent on the prosecuting attorney/DA.

The point was and is...that is the ONLY thing they (an overzealous D/A, prosecutor) could remotely bring up. As I said...good shot, get the backed pay, and give her a raise. I stand by that.

So repeat to those who do not read the posts in entirety. I never said it was not a good shot. If fact, she should be praised and get a raise IMO. The example I was using was that if it were a CHL/CWP/C-WTFyourStateCallsIt there could be a prosecutor that would come after somebody being they had at least 2 car lengths. It was an example. She was doing her duty, executed it flawlessly and told perp to drop the knife. I stated this CLEARLY. RTFP.

Last edited:
    anyone laughing at the boxcutters must not remember 9-11.

i have NOTHING critical to say about this shoot. she was perfect. and i might add..... this is how EVERY damn non-compliant person with a weapon should get treated. you get told ONE FUCKING TIME (which in my opinion is one too many-as it’s common sense that wielding a weapon while advancing on someone a hostile act) and then you get shot. non lethal? fuck that. knife comes out, you advance, you get shot.

she can be on “Team Myron” anyday.

Am i the only one who thinks she is smoking hot. She can kill me all she wants lol.

On a more serious note, I don't think there were any wrongful actions on her part. Had the dude gotten close up and personal, one slash to the neck would have ended her life. She did what she had to.
    For sure I’d slam that everyday and twice on Sunday

I think I was abundantly clear it was a good shot. I also know 7 yards rule and how much ground somebody can cover. Pretty sure the first real training class I ever had that was demonstrated on ME by two LE's who taught the class. . My point remains, if it was not an LE that made the shot, that shot would likely be deemed too far away. It's a different situation as well as it was an LE call and not self-defense. Self-defense it would likely be VERY dependent on the prosecuting attorney/DA.

The point was and is...that is the ONLY thing they (an overzealous D/A, prosecutor) could remotely bring up. As I said...good shot, get the backed pay, and give her a raise. I stand by that.

So repeat to those who do not read the posts in entirety. I never said it was not a good shot. If fact, she should be praised and get a raise IMO. The example I was using was that if it were a CHL/CWP/C-WTFyourStateCallsIt there could be a prosecutor that would come after somebody being they had at least 2 car lengths. It was an example. She was doing her duty, executed it flawlessly and told perp to drop the knife. I stated this CLEARLY. RTFP.

That exact same video but a tax paying citizen makes the shoot it's just as lawful.

Why does a tax taking cop get more dispensation than the citizen? Is their life worth more?

Threat of bodily harm or death is the same for all.

That exact same video but a tax paying citizen makes the shoot it's just as lawful.

Why does a tax taking cop get more dispensation than the citizen? Is their life worth more?

Threat of bodily harm or death is the same for all.
    I don't have an answer for that other than "that's just the way the DA/Prosecutors will work" Is their (LE's) life more that yours or mine...I'd like to think not and don't disagree about threats of death or severe bodily harm. But I can almost guarantee if somebody has a knife and a citizen makes that shot on the street - they'll be in jail - especially in the more liberal states. As LE I think the leeway is they have legal authority that the ordinary citizen doesn't have - you and I cannot tell somebody to drop the knife with quite the same affect nor go around with our guns drawn (but not pointing like the McCloskeys) telling people to stand back and get back whilst in a public location. If LE tells you that, you'd better. Also, LE doesn't have a duty to retreat as states without stand your ground.

I think this also opens the ground up for good stand-your ground laws for citizens. I'm sitting here with a rather massively calcified Achilles (multiple microtears) and not-so-great back. I could try to turn and flee and a young guy, hell bent, could easily overtake me an kill me. I'm sure I speak for many here on a lack of physical ability to outrun a late 20's/early 30's male. So at that point, would it be best to stand your ground if some nut like that comes at you so you don't have to take eye off the knife/perp? Obviously this varies from state to state; but I agree with I think what your point was - is my life somehow less valuable than LE? Again, to me it sure the hell isn't. To me, my life is the most valuable asset I have.

That said, at 7 yards if one doesn't have gun drawn, then they'll be dead if they're charged. Sadly, just look at the White Settlement Church shooting....the one guy fumbled the draw and that was it for him :(. If a guy would have run at him instead of having a shotgun, by the time he got the weapon out, even my slow ass could have gone 12-15 yards.

Good question sir. Just my 0.02.
    ---------------------
    two other points:
    1) if she was cleared as a good shot, she should be protected from civil lawsuit from some family trying to get rich off their dead likely-drugged up relative.
    2) why the hell were there so many people standing about when cops had guns drawn. What the heck is wrong with these people?

Last edited:
    Really? Using less than lethal force against someone approaching you with a deadly weapon? Are you the one volunteering to face a knife attacker with a taser?

I can see where you maybe took that from my original post. Let me clarify a little.

All hypothetical anyways and I agree with what happened in this and most other police shootings.

"IF in a perfect world" she had a partner who trusted her nearby they could attempt to use less than lethal force while she covered them with lethal force.

And to answer your question, if I had her as my cover, sure. I'd be willing to pull out a taser and attempt to save a life. Knowing that there are x number of officers with guns drawn I'd be more than willing to draw a taser, if it fails and I'm charged I'm bailing and they are going to get lit up pretty quick.

That's me though and I understand that not every situation is it possible to attempt to use less than lethal force.

If the suspect has a gun all bets are off and the gun automatically comes out to the ready.

Again, I agree with what happened.....

I don't have an answer for that other than "that's just the way the DA/Prosecutors will work" Is their (LE's) life more that yours or mine...I'd like to think not and don't disagree about threats of death or severe bodily harm. But I can almost guarantee if somebody has a knife and a citizen makes that shot on the street - they'll be in jail - especially in the more liberal states. As LE I think the leeway is they have legal authority that the ordinary citizen doesn't have - you and I cannot tell somebody to drop the knife with quite the same affect nor go around with our guns drawn (but not pointing like the McCloskeys) telling people to stand back and get back whilst in a public location. If LE tells you that, you'd better. Also, LE doesn't have a duty to retreat as states without stand your ground.

I think this also opens the ground up for good stand-your ground laws for citizens. I'm sitting here with a rather massively calcified Achilles (multiple microtears) and not-so-great back. I could try to turn and flee and a young guy, hell bent, could easily overtake me an kill me. I'm sure I speak for many here on a lack of physical ability to outrun a late 20's/early 30's male. So at that point, would it be best to stand your ground if some nut like that comes at you so you don't have to take eye off the knife/perp? Obviously this varies from state to state; but I agree with I think what your point was - is my life somehow less valuable than LE? Again, to me it sure the hell isn't. To me, my life is the most valuable asset I have.

That said, at 7 yards if one doesn't have gun drawn, then they'll be dead if they're charged. Sadly, just look at the White Settlement Church shooting....the one guy fumbled the draw and that was it for him :(. If a guy would have run at him instead of having a shotgun, by the time he got the weapon out, even my slow ass could have gone 12-15 yards.

Good question sir. Just my 0.02.
    ---------------------
    two other points:
    1) if she was cleared as a good shot, she should be protected from civil lawsuit from some family trying to get rich off their dead likely-drugged up relative.
    2) why the hell were there so many people standing about when cops had guns drawn. What the heck is wrong with these people?

If you can articulate the deadly threat to justify your reasonable response than in a world with a fair and functioning criminal justice system why would you be charged?

Our Constitution bows to the natural right of self defense.

If you want to introduce a third world bannana republic system where the DA functions by political agenda rather than lawful justice than all bets are off. This person believes you have no right to defense, you are a mere pawn of the state.

Yes or No......

Are you insinuating that the USA has become a two tiered justice bannana republic where justice is not balanced, coups and intrigues abound, law enforcement would frame citizens of stature and the intelligence apparatus would attack an elected official?

That POS lawyer for the family and anyone sympathetic to this dumbass, deranged goblin can STFU. I’ve had it with this armchair, Monday-morning-quarterbacking-horseshit of “shoot him in the leg“........or, “can’t you just use a Taser”. He gave up his right to live when he charged her with a deadly weapon, after having been warned MULTIPLE TIMES!!

Damn good shooting, officer. We need a hell of a lot more just like you, to sweep the garbage off the streets.

The Border Patrol is legend for its pistol shooting teams
    I can see where you maybe took that from my original post. Let me clarify a little.

All hypothetical anyways and I agree with what happened in this and most other police shootings.

"IF in a perfect world" she had a partner who trusted her nearby they could attempt to use less than lethal force while she covered them with lethal force.

And to answer your question, if I had her as my cover, sure. I'd be willing to pull out a taser and attempt to save a life. Knowing that there are x number of officers with guns drawn I'd be more than willing to draw a taser, if it fails and I'm charged I'm bailing and they are going to get lit up pretty quick.

That's me though and I understand that not every situation is it possible to attempt to use less than lethal force.

If the suspect has a gun all bets are off and the gun automatically comes out to the ready.

Again, I agree with what happened.....

I'm not sure if you have seen how fast a charging aggressor with a knife can be on you.