• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Physical Fitness Help

how, pray tell, is one supposed to see anything on a sidewalk?

...except maybe the hood or doors of a cager right hooking you? I've been right hooked. It isn't as much fun as it sounds

M
10 mile bike ride vs the same 50 meters of a lap pool over and over for an hour.

Hell, I’d guess my neighborhood has 100s of miles of sidewalks. Most of them have trophy wives jogging on them.
Sidewalks are seriously dangerous for cyclists. Cagers see cyclists on the sidewalk even less than they're looking for us on the road

M

Sidewalks are seriously dangerous for cyclists. Cagers see cyclists on the sidewalk even less than they're looking for us on the road

M
Stop riding where cars drive on sidewalks… 🤣

And don’t be a self important douche nozzle when you pull on your spandex shorts (not directed at mikeshaw2). 🤦🏻‍♂️

Stop riding where cars drive on sidewalks… 🤣

And don’t be a self important douche nozzle when you pull on your spandex shorts (not directed at mikeshaw2). 🤦🏻‍♂️
And, we’ve got everything from kids, to Milfs, to bikes and e-bikes, skateboards, and rangers/sxs/golf carts using the sidewalks. They can be as busy as the streets.

The majority of the walks, especially on the larger streets are wide enough for a Polaris ranger + leeway on either side.

Don’t hesitate to experiment. And what works for you might change over time.

For me, right now it’s low carb and intermittent fasting. Not quite strict enough to be keto. I can’t function properly without breakfast, so I don’t eat dinner. I know most people skip breakfast, but that doesn’t work for me.

I exercise in the morning, alternating between elliptical and kettlebell. 2 days per week on the elliptical I do heart rate intervals. I read on a few medical sites that HR intervals are good for men to lose midsection weight. After 4 months of HR interval, I haven’t lost weight, but I’ve lost inches in my midsection.

I try to go for a 2 mile walk every night. All year long, only the worst weather or being out prevents my walk.

I work from home probably a little more than half of the time. I make it a point to drink a lot of water. A ton of water. Every time I get up to piss I go up/down the stairs twice and do 15 “wall” push ups hands together and 15 hands normal. I do them on the stairs, so bod close to 45 degrees. It sounds silly/stupid. But it gets my blood flowing again. And by late morning I’m doing every hour.

it took me a few years to find what worked for me. It allowed me to lose the last 40 pounds and keep it off for 3 years now. I dread the day this no longer works and I have to start searching again.

I wish you all the luck in the world. It took me 20 years to find the determination to get it done. But I’m down over 80 pounds. Feeling better at age 55 than I have in a long time. Probably wouldn’t have needed both knees replaced 7 years ago if I had figured all of this out 30 years ago.

Reactions: JR_77
Haven’t seen it mentioned yet but get a full blood panel done to get a baseline on your testosterone, cholesterol and even thyroid.

Thomas Delauer is outstanding and facts based in his approach to nutrition he’s a valuable resource in this area.

Last edited:
As part of my enduring quest to get more fit (aka "Stop being fat") I like to set some goals that I can work toward. Last year was completing a 5k.
This year I might actually run it.
I like to have goals to work towards, and have a few hurdles:

I was looking at basic mil fitness tests and had a few questions:
(1) Its been a long time since I've been able to do a pull up. How does one train to do a pull up? Any advice. Goal #1 is 1. 1 Pull up.
(2)Found the ammo can lift. (30 lbs). Sure I could probably get a 30lb ammo can, but would it be the same to just do 2x15 lb weights? Even thought of doing using one of my rifles (yeah they aren't 30, but its the same muscles).

Also has anyone had luck swimming? Yes I can walk/run. I overheat a lot and swimming that isn't a problem (provided some ass doesn't overheat the pool). Plus its easier on the knees and usually gentler when falling.

Especially any grey beards who keep in shape during middle age. We ain't 20 no more, so gotta make sure not to do more damage.
Do or start lifting light weights ,steadily gain reps. Do pushups on an incline , easier of the wrists at first. Do Old School calisthenics. Key is consistency and steady as ya go as to not burn out. Walking is great , when your body adapts might want to run some.
The couch to 5K program works , lays a good base. Eat cleaner , cut the processed foods out. Hydrate ..hydrate … Take your time to adapt , rest your body when it tells you to. Love to swim but don’t have access to structured workouts.
Like that you are using what you got , no need for gyms. Whole world is a playground 👍
Mix it up , cross train with maybe a Mountain bike or other cardio workouts. Ruts are easy to get in. I will be 70 , run 5+ miles per day …last day I missed was in Oct 2022.
As far as goals , we need them. My goal was to run at least 2K per year , set it in 2000. Run over 2K per year every since ….. On track to hit 2K in 2023 by early Dec. 6 ft 1 ….Weigh between 165-170 , blessed with good genes and health. That’s where being disciplined and consistent is so important. At this stage of the game and life , it’s Me against Me , trying to keep from losing what age takes from us as long as possible.
I can eat and drink anything in moderation, no weight gain worrying. 👍 Good luck , enjoy the ride 🇺🇸🍻
PS : as mentioned, blood work and maybe testosterone therapy helps Big Time

Have done full blood work, what is low testosterone level. My was in range but lower end

It sounds like you don’t have a historical baseline for your T level. If that’s correct, and you have a doc that will prescribe, do it. Just get it back to mid range, like 550-650 day of and low to mid 300s before next dose.

Over time, you may see your BP rise a tad, but if all of your other panels stay normal this is a life changer. I know guys who have dropped 20-40# doing nothing else. Sleep improves, etc. I would never condone it for recreational use, but if yours down into the 240 or lower levels, I would at least get more info and consider it.

Reactions: darkfader
Swimming is great, but you are so hungry afterwards it is easy to overeat. Right now I swim 5 days a week, and after a year it is still kicking my butt. Swimming is 60% technique, best to take lessons so you are more efficient.

Running on trails is great for losing weight, so is biking. When I was trail running, 30-35 miles a week, my legs got skinny and I lost muscle mass. Swimming puts on muscle, so does biking but then it is mostly leg muscles.

Different Doc! My back is one of the few things still working for me. Knees and shoulders, and 1 hip are starting to go. There's been a lot of good suggestions and I do listen! I prob will move away from the pull up goal until much much later if ever. In fact I do have exercise bands left from frozen shoulder. Right now it would be like a normal guy doing a pullup with another full grown guy on his back. Plus I understand the difference between "injury" sore and "exercise" sore. The idea of Yoga/Pilates (ironically invented for WW1 vets) is very attractive as its a nice way to get those muscles moving again.

It is one of the reasons I started here in the pit as even with all our saltiness, I figured a few of you had been better at battling age and fitness and that is worth more than some 20 something screaming at me in the gym. Be there down that, and it led to a lot of frustration because the will to continue can be stronger than our body and that's a recipe for injury. I nearly drowned a while back simply because my body said "nope" and shut down 3 feet from safety. I had pushed waaaaaay to hard.

Trust me, that was the longest distance I have ever seen.
Maybe start with some mobility and body weight stuff to get you prepared for harder long term goals. These guys look like straight up hipsters.
But they do have a ton of excellent content.

It's awesome that you're setting fitness goals and working towards a healthier lifestyle. Getting fit is all about progress, not perfection.
For pull-ups, you can start with resistance bands to gradually build up your strength.

One tip is to do negative pull-ups – jump to the top position and lower yourself down as slowly as possible.
Using 2x15 lb weights can definitely work for the ammo you can lift, and using your rifles sounds like a creative way to engage those muscles.
Swimming is an excellent choice, especially if you have concerns about overheating. It's gentle on the joints and provides a full-body workout.
I'm thinking of trying this program myself: https://medicalweightlosslehighvalley.com/. It's all about finding what works for you and staying consistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: samadisoulcrusher
IMG_6707.gif

Did any one mention the lat machine? Basically a seated pull up. Use whatever weight and whatever grip feels comfortable and increase weight as you go.

Reactions: 101st
It's awesome that you're setting fitness goals and working towards a healthier lifestyle. Getting fit is all about progress, not perfection.
For pull-ups, you can start with resistance bands to gradually build up your strength.
Why hello friendly health proponent.

Tell us about yourself please.

Do you concrete lay?