• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Picking my first scope for AR308

KingKopi22

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2014
Hello everyone, I need help picking out a scope. I am almost done with my Mega Maten 308 build (waiting on barrel) and have spent the last 2 days searching for a scope and really I don't have a clue what I need. I am trying to avoid going cheap on a scope only to end up spending more later for something better, however at the same time I do not want to waste an extra $1,000 or so on a scope that is capable of something I will never need or use.

On my rifle I will be running a 18" Mega Arms 308 barrel. The purpose for this rifle is to punch groups through paper targets and shoot steal targets from 100-600 yards and occasionally try to shoot 800-1000 yards. The private range I joined usually holds high power match, tactical match or mid range match multiple times a year and this is rifle and scope would be used when I'm ready to join.

Few of the scopes that I came across is the Vortex Viper ST 4-16x50 FFP ($900) and the Vortex Viper ST 4-16x50 ($700). Is the FFP worth the extra $200 for my intended use? These 2 are scopes I can afford to buy right now, but then I come across a scope like the Nightforce NSX 3.5x15x50 for $700-$900 more (depending on model). I am sure the Nightforce is a better scope then the Vortex Viper but is it worth me spending the extra cash on what I intend to use this rifle for?

Another question I have has to do with power of the scope, is 4-16x where I should be with this rifle shooting 100-1000 yards or do I need to look for something with higher power?

Any advise, info or recommendation will help. If there is another scope that I should look at please let me know. Again my goal here is too buy 1 good scope that will be up to par or slightly exceed for my intended use.

Thank you in advance.

I'd also take a look at the Bushnells. IIRC Scott at Liberty Optics is running some mad deals on them again. Depending on whether you care about zero stop and 10mils per rev there are some deals to be had on the older models. FFP, with 3.5-21 magnification with a fair assortment of reticles makes them a nice option. I have one pulling double-duty on a precision AR and my OBR at the moment while I decide what's going on the OBR full time but I keep coming back to the Bushnells as a great, affordable, FFP optic for doing much of what you're looking to do (mine is a 16").

If you are paper punching and expect to be shooting from a firing line rather than running around the weight penalty of magnification will not hurt you and the magnification will help with punching your paper.

Id take a good look on the WTS forum here. There are enough guys it seems that gear hunt and turn over well kept lightly used scopes that you could find a scope you only dreamed of owning close to the price of a lesser scope bought brand new.

You know from looking which scope/maker fils your mouth with saliva and makes your groin ache. Buy that one or else every time you go to the range you will be wishing you had waited/saved a little more to get what you want.

I would read the Optics Selection Sticky at the top of this section several times to get a good idea of what your shooting needs will require! I would stick with FFP and matching mil/mil reticle and turrets with 10 mils per revolution. Will be easier to sell, if you've decided you've chosen wrong and then will have the funds to try another scope with only a small loss. And yes, check the Optics For Sale Section here frequently, but check the Seller on the Good Guys List or the new Feedback Score rating, so you don't get burned. I've never had any issues buying used items here on the Hide!

I'd also take a look at the Bushnells. IIRC Scott at Liberty Optics is running some mad deals on them again. Depending on whether you care about zero stop and 10mils per rev there are some deals to be had on the older models. FFP, with 3.5-21 magnification with a fair assortment of reticles makes them a nice option. I have one pulling double-duty on a precision AR and my OBR at the moment while I decide what's going on the OBR full time but I keep coming back to the Bushnells as a great, affordable, FFP optic for doing much of what you're looking to do (mine is a 16").

I got the Bushnell Elite FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X50 scope from Scott @ Liberty Optics for a great price and highly recommend the scope if you can do without zero stop and illuminated reticle. The glass, resolution and tracking compare favorably to my Nightforce scope. The scope is sitting on my H&K MR 762.

im in the same boat. I don't want a big huge scope on my maten. ive been looking at the 3.5-10x either 32 or 40mm obj. I have a 1-4x and a 10x plus a few red dots in QD mounts, so I just change as the needs do. I just don't want anything too big

I would read the Optics Selection Sticky at the top of this section several times to get a good idea of what your shooting needs will require! I would stick with FFP and matching mil/mil reticle and turrets with 10 mils per revolution. Will be easier to sell, if you've decided you've chosen wrong and then will have the funds to try another scope with only a small loss. And yes, check the Optics For Sale Section here frequently, but check the Seller on the Good Guys List or the new Feedback Score rating, so you don't get burned. I've never had any issues buying used items here on the Hide!

Thank you. I read the the post and it was very helpful. The only problem I have is, I only have experience shooting my AR15's and both have a aimpoint pro on it, I usually shoot 15-200 yards. I have never shot a rifle with a scope that has more then 1x power. So what I need or will like is unknown until I actually get behind a rifle and find out. The post I read gave me a few good ideas of where to start.

I really like the Zero Stop option on the optic. Having no experience messing with the windage or elevation for long distance shots, I can easily see my self losing my 100yard zero. I think this option will definitely benefit me.

The 2nd thing I got from the post is the 4-16x will probably be a better option on my LR308 rifle. I can easily see my target from 100-600 yards or even upto 1000 yards. If I understood correctly anything with +20x power, I will lose field of view plus I don't plan on shooting past 1000

I'm really liking the Vortex Viper FFP 4-16x50 and it's price. I will do some search and see what other scope in that price range with the same options or similar options.

I found a seller local who is selling a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 with rings (in great condition) for a little over $1500. Slightly more power then I need but It has other options like zero stop which I'm looking for. At only $600 more then the Vortex, I need to make a decision.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thank you. I read the the post and it was very helpful. The only problem I have is, I only have experience shooting my AR15's and both have a aimpoint pro on it, I usually shoot 15-200 yards. I have never shot a rifle with a scope that has more then 1x power. So what I need or will like is unknown until I actually get behind a rifle and find out. The post I read gave me a few good ideas of where to start.

I really like the Zero Stop option on the optic. Having no experience messing with the windage or elevation for long distance shots, I can easily see my self losing my 100yard zero. I think this option will definitely benefit me.

The 2nd thing I got from the post is the 4-16x will probably be a better option on my LR308 rifle. I can easily see my target from 100-600 yards or even upto 1000 yards. If I understood correctly anything with +20x power, I will lose field of view plus I don't plan on shooting past 1000

I'm really liking the Vortex Viper FFP 4-16x50 and it's price. I will do some search and see what other scope in that price range with the same options or similar options.

I found a seller local who is selling a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 with rings (in great condition) for a little over $1500. Slightly more power then I need but It has other options like zero stop which I'm looking for. At only $600 more then the Vortex, I need to make a decision.

Without you setting a definite price limit its kind of hard to recommend a scope. Personally if I was looking to buy right now and was willing to spend the cash for that type of rig it without a doubt would be the nightforce 2.5-10x42. Its a big upgrade over their previous scopes for sure and isn't huge. The 5.5-22 is huge for an 18" gun IMO especially if you don't plan on stretching it way on out there. 10x with clear glass is plenty for 600yds.
2.5-10×42 NXS? COMPACT RIFLESCOPE | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

One thing that is sometimes a challenge when mounting a scope on an AR is you can't get it far enough forward. The IOR 3-18x42 has the turret toward the back end of the tube so that you can move the scope more forward in the rings. Check it out.

Without you setting a definite price limit its kind of hard to recommend a scope. Personally if I was looking to buy right now and was willing to spend the cash for that type of rig it without a doubt would be the nightforce 2.5-10x42. Its a big upgrade over their previous scopes for sure and isn't huge. The 5.5-22 is huge for an 18" gun IMO especially if you don't plan on stretching it way on out there. 10x with clear glass is plenty for 600yds.
2.5-10×42 NXS? COMPACT RIFLESCOPE | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

This scope you recommended really got my interest. It gives me the option of using the optic at close range if needed and all the way upto 600 yards.
I always wanted a bolt action. I guess I can leave the higher powered scope for my future 24" bolt gun.

My price range at this point is $1000. I can wait a bit longer and buy something up to $1500. I just can't justify paying anything more for a scope on a AR type rifle.

Do not be afraid of magnification if you are buying a quality scope.
I think magnification range is more personal preference. Most folks make it out to be a strictly application based decision but it is not that simple.
How much do you WANT is a better question, granted I don't want any for kicking down doors but I never use my rifle at 40 yards and even just a couple hundred yards, I really appreciate my 24x, it has made me a better marksman.
I have shot past 1K with a 4x which proved to me that You don't need much. But damn it is nice to have.

Vortex 6-24x50 FFP. About $800 used with lifetime warranty. You can probably fit it up your ass with a little grease.

I've decided to roll the dice on the Vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp MRAD and not because of the comment by Toast and his fascination with his Vortex.

This scope should do fine to start me off in mid range shooting and if it's not good enough, it will be a good excuse to build a Budget AR15 so the Vortex doesnt go to waste. I also plan on getting my self a nice precision bolt rifle and that is when I'll put in about 2k for high quality glass and hopefully learn more about what I need or like.

Vortex 6-24x50 FFP. About $800 used with lifetime warranty. You can probably fit it up your ass with a little grease.
Agree completely. More power is not bad. You do lose FOV at high power, BUT don't forget you can dial the 6-24X scope back to 12 or 16 and FOV issue resolved! It's nice to have higher power at distance. Easier to see bullet holes on targets and dust on misses on steel at distances to 1000 yards. Mirage also causes me to dial back in some conditions, but reading mirage can help you judge wind near the target, dial magnification down until it improves. The quality of the glass is one one the most important factors for clear sharp views and good, repeatable tracking a must.

If you can try some scopes at the range or with friends, it would really help. Get the best you can afford and get out and start shooting and you'll soon realize the strengths and weaknesses. Size and weight make also make a difference for smaller rifle.
Good luck.

I've decided to roll the dice on the Vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp MRAD and not because of the comment by Toast and his fascination with his Vortex.

This scope should do fine to start me off in mid range shooting and if it's not good enough, it will be a good excuse to build a Budget AR15 so the Vortex doesnt go to waste. I also plan on getting my self a nice precision bolt rifle and that is when I'll put in about 2k for high quality glass and hopefully learn more about what I need or like.

Plan on buying a cantilever mount to get the scope far enough forward.

Plan on buying a cantilever mount to get the scope far enough forward.

My upper and rail is the Mega MKM its a 1 piece style design upper receiver rail. I don't believe getting the scope far enough should be a problem, or am I wrong?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394822364709.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394822364709.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 15
I chose a leupold mk4 1.5-5 for my .308 AR. At the ranges, under the conditions I will be using it, it is perfect.
I built a light Battle Rifle, 9 Lbs. So weight was a BIG consideration.

I chose a leupold mk4 1.5-5 for my .308 AR. At the ranges, under the conditions I will be using it, it is perfect.
I built a light Battle Rifle, 9 Lbs. So weight was a BIG consideration.

Not sure how much the Leupold is, but wouldn't a Acog fixed 4x been a better option for light weight strictly battle rifle build?