• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Piloted Counterbore for Pillar Bedding

fmillik

Northwoods
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2020
Rhinelander, WI
I am looking to do my first pillar bedding job with the Score-HIgh Pillars. They suggest you use a 5/8 piloted counterbore, and I am having a hell of a time finding an interchangeable counterbore that can use a 9/32 and a 5/16 diameter pilot. Seems I can't find a counterbore with the correct size pilot-hole to fit both of these pilots. I looked at the Score High Gunsmithing website, but they are all sold out.

Any suggestions?

Seems unnecessary for putting pillars in a stock. I've done a few with a hand drill, couple others on a small drill press. Wood and composite drill easily, epoxy fills in nicely. :)

Seems unnecessary for putting pillars in a stock. I've done a few with a hand drill, couple others on a small drill press. Wood and composite drill easily, epoxy fills in nicely. :)
It does. On the other hand, I am paying for an extremely expensive stock and I would hate to screw it up to save $50. I have 3 older rifles that I figure I will pillar bed first to get some practice and get more use out of the parts.

Search for the counterbores- didn't link them.

I saw those on Amazon. Read through the reviews and it sounds like the description isn’t accurate for several of them.

Otherwise, Brownells was only place I found what I was looking for but cost ~$100.

Ended up ordering from Amazon. Hope they have decent fit and finish.

Reactions: Danny1788