• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Pistol for Grizzly Bear Country

Re: Pistol for Grizzly Bear Country

.22 single shot. You wounded the griz . . . no need to carry anything heavy to commit suicide.

I'm not sure about all the legality of this course of action, but..

I'd be dousing that sucker with bear spray and praying that by doing so I could create enough distance to make a couple RELATIVELY careful shots to incapacitate and kill the grizzly that was threatening me. In that case, I'd still want a 4" Redhawk .44 Mag ready to rumble in a hurry...and I'd leave the G20 at home. Just my $0.02. I guess I just have the philosophy that once I feel my life is threatened by man or beast, I am gonna kill the threat; not just try to get away and let it try again. Maybe that's ego. Idk.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with the laws regarding these situations can chime in.

-The Kid.

You dont need a pistol. Just bring someone slower than yourself... Like your lawyer; Lawyers make good bear bait.

could spray yourself with bear spray

After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather open up a Kosher deli in Fallujah than risk an encounter with a bear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronMaidenFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather open up a Kosher deli in Fallujah than risk an encounter with a bear. </div></div>

LMFAO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronMaidenFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather open up a Kosher deli in Fallujah than risk an encounter with a bear.</div></div>

Classic.

I hunt in bear country all fall when I'm chasing elk and sheep. My #1 choice is a Smith 329PD, its very light and youll never know its on your side. If you have a large steel framed gun on your belt and hunt all day it will become a big burden and be tempted to leave it in camp. I have had lots of very close encounters including several in one day, thankfully I've only been bluff charged so far. I have friends that have killed bears in defense with 41 mags another good alternative. I currently carry the Taurus 44 titanium with a 2" barrel. Not my favorite brand(price was right) but it works and It never burdens me on my side.

I've hunted Kodiak Island Alaska and just carried my 338 win mag for deer. I seen 100+ bears in one week and had shot deer stolen from bears. I felt more comfortable just carrying a big rifle.

I just picked up my 10mm Glock 20, and have a Survival Sheath Systems chest rig on order. I know that I will be twice as fast with the semi auto, and more accurate. The G20 holds 15 rounds, and weighs similar to the SW 329PD. Overall, I think it is a better tool for the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up my 10mm Glock 20, and have a Survival Sheath Systems chest rig on order. I know that I will be twice as fast with the semi auto, and more accurate. The G20 holds 15 rounds, and weighs similar to the SW 329PD. Overall, I think it is a better tool for the job.

</div></div>

Imho, Personal fit and "shootability" have to play in pretty heavily into this whole mess. If you totally suck with either the semi or the revolvers, then shoot that with which you can actually hit something, right? For many people this is gonna mean that the Glock is the better option. I'd much rather make hits with a 10mm that miss with a .500 SW or whatever. Best of luck and hope you never need it, brother!

-The Kid.

I didn't know they sell Glock's in Alaska. 10mm?
I see 454, 460, 475, LOTS of 500.

Maybe I should just get some Bear Spray.. LMFAO>.

when I lived in Alaska, and I spent a lot of time in the bush, I was educated by the old sour doughs that It was best to carry the biggest revolver I could. Your free to shoot the bear with all but one of the rounds, but save the last one for yourself just in case the bear doesn't finish you off. If the bear is pissed enough to get into your shit, the chances of you killing it with a handgun and so slim your about screwed no matter what you carry.

I shot my G20 for the first time a few days ago. Relatively mild recoil, very easy to shoot. I did get a bit of Glock thumb, though.

With Buffalo Bore ammo, the power is equivalent to a 41 magnum. I plan to change the return spring to a 22 lb., and install a stainless steel guide rod. Overall, I feel this would provide more security than a 6 round revolver. The chest rig I ordered form Survival Sheath Systems has an extra mag carrier built in.

-Steve

I was looking at basically the same pistols except I was looking at the Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag with the 5.5" barrel. I'd opt for the ruger over the smith since the Ruger is built heavier and was told the Ruger will withstand a diet of 240gr where the smith will not, you can also run buffalo bore ammo through the Ruger where it could make the smith a paperweight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsparky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know they sell Glock's in Alaska. 10mm?

Maybe I should just get some Bear Spray.. LMFAO>. </div></div>I've heard several Alaskan guides recommend bear spray over a handgun.

And they weren't laughing.

I would carry whatever you can draw and shoot the best! What works for me may not work for you. Only way to find out is pick one and practice practice practice!!!!!!

While out west hunting with my father, I was young at the time, he carried a .44 mag revolver as a side arm for protection against bear. The guide at the time saw it and asked why he was carrying it. My father replied "just incase." The guide smiled and instructed us that the gun would be better if he filed the front site post off. Confused we both looked at the guide and asked what/why would anyone want to do that? The guide replied "Because it won't hurt as bad when that bear comes over here and shoves it up your ass"

I just returned from a 2 week vacation in AK, and carried a 475 LB. I'll post a separate report regarding the overall experience, but in regards to carry - it was immediately apparent (to me), that a bear attack is not unlike any other threat, e.g., that situational awareness, understanding of the threat's TTPs, and having a weapon with which you're proficient is key.

I didn't need to draw this pistol, as I exercised good camp discipline, made my presence known, and kept my eyes up while hiking. Could a bear have entered into the equation despite all these efforts? Of course - however by actively mitigating the threat, a pistol becomes the last option, as opposed to a primary concern.

In all candor, I'll add that alders and spruces are everywhere below 3k', and a bear could be behind every damn one. I could have done all the right things, and been attacked regardless - and I'll defer to those with actual encounters who can speak with authority regarding their reaction.

Bottom line: if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time in AK, you can have a damn howitzer on your hip and it won't be of much help.

50bmghandgun21vr.jpg

wow. lol how much actual rifling is in that thing?

I have a 500 S&W for bear when hiking in Wy. Doubt I would ever need it I hate the thing by the time we are half done but if one was about to eat me I think the power would be appreciated. I cant imagine that a well placed shot with that giant wouldnt be enough? Surely someone has shot bear with one since thats about all they are made for? Female moose we were told by the old timers was what to be scared to death of. Who knows maybe someone should make a 50BMG revolver! PG

PGG and Lazlo, I think those two rounds cannot be beat for a revolver.

I know the risk is low of a bear attack, and if it happened there is a good chance you'd have your head in yer butt, or miss, or freak out, etc.

But one thing is for sure, just like a CC argument, if you have the wrong gun or no gun you are out of luck for sure. So I think it's OK to plan for the optimal outcome, control the variables you can control and carry as big a thumper as you can handle well.

I often hunt and fish by myself in the great outdoors and used to bring my daily carry M1911A1.

One day when I was finished scouting areas to take kids fishing I was walking back to the parking lot of a state nature center. I was about 50 yards from my truck, armed with a walking stick and a 5-weight trout rod, thinking how nice this well-developed and well-traveled place was with all these families with small kids about.

I wondered about two empty groundskeeper's hand-carts left next to a willow tree and wondered how someone could allow such a large, dark brown horse to graze so close to the public. When the horse pulled its head out of the leaves I was about 15 yards from a very large moose cow.

The first thing through my mind was, "Crap, I hope I'm not between her and her calves." I figured I'd lose the rod and reel and go down trying to stab it with the walking staff before getting a mudhole stomped in my butt. Fortunately the moose was just browsing and let me pass.

After that I immediately researched and bought a 4-inch Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. The Redhawk can launch heavier, deeper penetrating bullets (300 to 360-grain) with lower pressure than the 44 Magnum and a Smith and Wesson N-frame Mountain Gun can handle. It can also be machined for .45 ACP in moonclips for practice.

I absolutely agree if you're in known dangerous bear country you should be swinging pepper spray and a large rifle or shotgun, but for just walking around and working a handgun is handier. A chest rig (if you're in waders) or a hip holster help keep a handgun around as just-in-case insurance -- as they're designed to.

4-inch 45 Redhawk:

45cltredhwk.jpg

7X Leather site photo for their chest holster:

DSC_0895.72141913_large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsparky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know they sell Glock's in Alaska. 10mm?

Maybe I should just get some Bear Spray.. LMFAO>. </div></div>I've heard several Alaskan guides recommend bear spray over a handgun.

And they weren't laughing. </div></div>

I have several friends that also guide.
Ask them what caliber they hunt with. Then ask them what caliber they take when they are guiding....
There are a lot of people I'd rather have a can of bear spray than large caliber pistol. Specially if they are hunting with me

YMMV

I assume this is the polar bear attack you guys are referencing..? This was about 2006??

IMG_1922.jpg

image001.jpg

image004.jpg

image006.jpg

image008.jpg

So, this guy used bear spray, and it resulted in this?

Dang.

hold them both and see how they feel. I've got the 4" 29-1 and love it.

Check out the guides choice chest holster no matter what you buy.

Two schools of thought - fast reloads vs. more power and slower reloads. Ok, three schools of thought - pepper spray is shown to be many MANY more times effective on bears than a pistol. Ok, four schools of thought - practice good bear behavior and never have to spray yourself with peppers, shoot yourself in the foot, or get trampled by a bear that just wants to leave...

We carry pepper spray, and I carry a colt 1911 running 45 Super - my wife a 329PD. She practices her reloading and uses 44 special on the range, and figures that it is as much a noise maker as anything else, and since she almost never out without me it is likely to be a second noise maker. The light weight is important - with all the other crap we carry around a heavier pistol would just get left at home where it does zero good to anybody.
If I'm in the thick stuff where there are lots of bears I carry a 45-70 guide gun with Buffalo Bore rounds. I've hunted and done other outdoor stuff in the lower Nushagak for a while and using pre-expanded bullets is the ticket. Nick named it 'thumper' for a reason... The only gun I ever gave a name.
Fish and Game friend carries a Glock 10mm - says if the pepper spray doesn't work pull the trigger till it goes 'click' then reload and keep pulling. He runs into a LOT more bears than I do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KelsonAK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only gun I ever gave a name.
Fish and Game friend carries a Glock 10mm - says if the pepper spray doesn't work pull the trigger till it goes 'click' then reload and keep pulling. He runs into a LOT more bears than I do.
</div></div>

I wonder if that's the issue for FWC there?

For the super-ninja in this thread, the first time a katana was suggested, I thought it was funny and a good bit of comedic relief.

But then you came back and repeated it, extolling its virtues. Now I'm scared.

Scared you are actually serious.

I remember finding out the foot picture was a shotgun accident, nothing to do with the bears, different person.

Maybe carry a big gun and wear a motorcycle helmet glued to your head.

Or maybe just a katana and a Weber grill. Ninja that 1200 pound 45 mph bear, then grill some bear steaks when you're through slicing and dicing. Don't forget the helmet-cam for YouTube.

If you have ever been up close to a grizzly or a brownie then you would carry the biggest gun you can buy.
Just wondering if anyone ever hunted a griz with a 10mm ?
When your scared to death recoil is not a problem. What hand gun do most hunters use to shoot big bears ? The larger the caliber the better.
I have the S&W 500, it's heavy but I am not a pussy. If your hand gun is to heavy maybe you should stay home and read about hunting. The gun is only 4 lbs if you can't carry 4 lbs then you should start working out. When your hunting don't you have your rifle in your hands ? That's why your hand gun is a back up weapon, you better not need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the super-ninja in this thread, the first time a katana was suggested, I thought it was funny and a good bit of comedic relief.

Scared you are actually serious.</div></div>

samurai_hunting_grizzly_bear_extreme_sport_sticker-p217942849014507381envb3_400.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the super-ninja in this thread, the first time a katana was suggested, I thought it was funny and a good bit of comedic relief.

Scared you are actually serious.</div></div>

samurai_hunting_grizzly_bear_extreme_sport_sticker-p217942849014507381envb3_400.jpg

</div></div>

Dude... Met this old-as-hell Inupiat Native guy about six months back at my Ranger Station. He was fishing outside of his village, and as he was cleaning the fish to bring em back, he got jumped by a polar bear from behind.
all he had was his freakin knife.

sure as hell, he jacked that bear until it was dead. He's missing half a hand, half a face, and an eye (thats all I could see)... but he's still alive.

Me, I don't carry pistols in the woods. nearly every rifle I have is capable of stopping a grizz, and since a 44Mag from a pistol has the same kinetic energy as a 30/30 from a rifle, I don't see the point of lugging it around, not that there's anything wrong with 30/30.

Usually, I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag with 240 gr cast solids, or my 1895 in 45/70 with 525 grain cast bullets.

some places down by the Kenai river, that rifle won't leave my hands because of how close it is in the forest. But most of the places I go I've got plenty of standoff to make the transition from my flyrod to the slung rifle.

besides, bears are like big fat furry people with proximity issues- they've got better things to do than mess with you, and would rather go about their business unmolested. Just give em space and common courtesy. But always have a plan and a buddy.

Had a guide ask me what the 44 was for? I said bear protection. He said can I see it ,I said sure he walks over to a bench grinder in the shop and turns it on...I yell what are you doing!!!! he says grinding off the front sight so when the bear shoves it up your ass it doesn't Hurd so bad!

Honestly the big bears scare me. I try to avoid their habitat. In my younger days I was lucky, REAL lucky. If your frolicking through the berry bushes and running across steaming piles of scat you might want to think if you really need to be in those woods. God protects children and fools( so I guess im still protected :)).

Learn bear behaviour and avoid their habitat if possible. Bear spray and a handgun.

Glock 10mm. If your a big monster and can really get down on a 44 go for it- few can really shoot the big guns under stress. Something short for shoving into the wall of fur on top of you one handed, which is actually an argument for a wheel gun rather than a g20 sans muzzle standoff device. My understanding of bear attacks is they are very sudden and often occur with little warning. YMMV

Last edited:
I'm not sure about all the legality of this course of action, but..

I'd be dousing that sucker with bear spray and praying that by doing so I could create enough distance to make a couple RELATIVELY careful shots to incapacitate and kill the grizzly that was threatening me. In that case, I'd still want a 4" Redhawk .44 Mag ready to rumble in a hurry...and I'd leave the G20 at home. Just my $0.02. I guess I just have the philosophy that once I feel my life is threatened by man or beast, I am gonna kill the threat; not just try to get away and let it try again. Maybe that's ego. Idk.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with the laws regarding these situations can chime in.

-The Kid.

Have fun going to jail when F&G puts two and two together. that's no longer defensive, and you will be hemmed up.

as soon as that bear turns away, the encounter is over. Now if the bear comes at you a second time, then by all means blast it away, Just remember that if you do, you WILL be recovering the full pelt and the skull to hand over to F&G, so be ready to haul some heavy stuff back with you.

Bear spray usually gives them the hint to clear out, unless you do something stupid like spray it into the wind, or at yourself. I still have no idea why people think pistols are so badass, they're not. whats the point of carrying a big dumbass pistol if it weighs as much as a rifle and only offers half the kinetic energy??

Easiest way to stay safe in the bush is to refrain from being a dumbass, maintain situational awareness, and don't fuck with the moose or bears. If you want a little extra insurance, get a Bolt or Lever Rifle. If you're afraid you'll miss in close quarters, or have no idea how to shoot under stress, get a 12 guage.
if you're still worried, stay home. You're not going to enjoy your experience if you're all jacked up and hormonal like a pregnant woman, and I don't feel like getting accidentally shot when some jittery fool mistakes me for a bear while I'm out berry picking.

Last edited:
As a biased multiple 10mm owner, I would say that a G20 would suit you well, just make damn sure that you test fire lots of the ammo that you intend to use. Yes, big bore revolvers are nice, but they kick like a mule, and can be rather large to carry. If well practiced with a Glock 20, you can rattle off plenty of rounds in a semi-accurate manner. Some friends and I recently did an excercise in anti-bear marksmanship. We mad a life sized bear cutout from a refrigerator box, and anchored it to a snow sled with some cinder blocks to keep it weighted down. We tied a long rope to it, and pulled it with a quad. The shooter was positioned in such a way so that when the quad took off, the bear target would be "charging" the shooter.

1 shooter had a short barreled 500 magnum, the other had a 460 shorty. Both were only able to get off 2 shots in the time it took the bear target close 40 yds. neither of the shots were particularly accurate. the next round involved using 45 colt cowboy loads in the 460. Just the reduction in the recoil and muzzle jump of those big bore revolvers afforded the shooters more shots, and more accurate shots at that.

That is where the benefit of the Glock 20 comes in. It is much more likely that you would be able to get off several more shots from the 10mm in a more controlled manner. If you want the reliability of a revolver in a 10mm, get a S&W 310. I have one and it is great, Trijicon front sight with a big U rear, easy to get on target quickly. It uses moon-clips, and therefore can be reloaded more quickly than a large bore revolver. Just my take on it.

Bottom line is practice a lot, and even try some scenarios such as the quad drawn bear target to get some training in. I have never faced down a charging grizzly though, so cant tell you how realistic it is, but it really made everyone think about the gun that they would be carrying in Grizzly country.

Best of luck on your trip.

IMO - For brownies:

Body shots to STOP: I see two likely schools of thought...

1. Relying on 1 or 2 shots - IMO you'd need a ton of cartridge and a bit of luck to get the job done with only a couple of shots. IMO you'd want a heavy wide hard cast bullet. I think 44mag (.43") with wide meplat hard cast like corbon 320gr or buffalo bore 340gr would be the min. But if I'm only getting a couple of shots on the body of 1000lb animal I'd prefer .45...better yet .50"

Problem is obviously the recoil and lack of practice with these guns. The recoil/recovery time between shots and animal speed is the reason you only get probably max 2 shots. Accuracy can suck due to flinch and lack of practice.

2. relying on multiple shots - IMO the glock 20 10mm 220gr hard cast (15rd+1) or Glock 21 460rowland 255gr hard cast (13rd+1) gives the shooter the ability to put lots of .40" or .45" nice penetrating holes in the bear at a rapid rate. Some would argue that those multiple holes are more effective than 1 or 2 from the big guns. I know that I can empty the entire mag of either one of those on target and insert a new mag as fast as I can get 6 shots off from my Ruger Alaskan 44mag or 454casull.

Problem is of course will you get enough time to get those multiple rounds off in time? (some scenarios yes, and of course some NO)

HEAD SHOTS to STOP - There are cases of 9mm 357mag 45acp all doing the job. So no you don't need a 500 whatever to punch the skull of a grizz.

Problem is of course being that Accurate! It doesn't matter what hand gun your firing...to be that accurate you need a TON of practice with said gun.

Durability and out of battery - I've seen revolvers go down due to dirt and freezing. IMO the glock would be more reliable. BUT if the situation happens where the bear is on you then the glock will be out of battery a lot easier than the cylinder of the revolver not moving because something is pressing against it. Either is possible.

Bear spray - Have seen it work and have heard that it didn't work.

Summary - there are scenarios where having a big 500 (assuming your decently accurate) would be more favorable and scenarios where having a glock 20 (assuming your more accurate and fast with it). There are scenarios where bear spray would probably work the best. In short there probably is no one best solution to this long debated topic.

But I think we can all agree on one thing - The only SURE way to STOP a bear is a CNS shot. So whatever you carry I hope you practice a lot with it and are accurate with it.

Last edited:
I have been in Alaskan Bush with a ruger .44 mag. as a backup and to be honest it didn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling that a lot of you are talking about. Until recently, there were no documented cases of a "charging" grizzly being stopped by just a handgun. they have been killed but after the person was torn up pretty badly. I know of one gentleman from charlotte N.C. that killed a grizzly with a .357, but the bear was grazing and did not know the hunter was around. He emptied the revolver before the bear was able to realize what was happening. That's the difference, adeneline pumping or a docile acting bear. truly, a handgun is not a sure thing. Better than nothing. Just make it as big as you can carry.

yup adreneline pumping - really doesn't matter what you have. Even if you take out the vitals he's got 15-30 seconds to have his way with you. Plenty of cases where multi rifle shots didn't do the job either. So CNS is pretty much it.