• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Places to Stay in the West

bornhunter04

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2011
STL, MO
I'm getting married early october 2015 and me and the misses are looking for places to go visit for the honeymoon. We're looking for places out in Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Idaho area's. No set place that we're looking to visit, so we're up for recommendations, except for California, not going there.

We'd like to find a cabin type place to stay, rather than a hotel, with plenty of things to do during the day. Of course if there was a place to do a little long range shooting that would be a bonus but not a requirement. All inclusive type places would be a definite bonus.

Does anybody recommend any places?

Appreciate the help.

MOAB Utah is awesome. We stayed in town but spent most of our time in canyon lands and arches park. There's a couple small wineries outside of town for the wife to enjoy before you hit the backcountry in a jeep

MOAB Utah is awesome. We stayed in town but spent most of our time in canyon lands and arches park. There's a couple small wineries outside of town for the wife to enjoy before you hit the backcountry in a jeep
-
I am going to 2nd that . been down there many times right in that time frame.
Your timing is right . October till the 1st snow there happens to come-on and is a (imho) PRIME time to go there and get around with the place having it's own beauty that time of year for getting outdoors, not to hot or to cold . Plus it getting not prime tourism season then so not as crowded. easy to get rooms and the rates come down a little.

I wouldn't dismiss California. In October, you could stay right on the beach for relatively cheap and wear shorts and a t shirt. Look up the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. Check out wine country in Napa Valley. Those are just a couple places. Don't worry, our gays won't rape your booty hole if you drop your keys in public, contrary to popular belief on this forum.

My carry permit doesnt work in California, so as far as I'm concerned that state doesn't exist. We're not much for beaches either. I'd like to see the redwoods someday but until comifornia gets their act lined out I won't be visiting.

Estes Park, Colorado has lots of cabins on the rivers and several on the lakes, if your trip takes you out this way.

Moab, Utah is good, and St. George was good too, but it's been a long time since I've been to either.

In Idaho, I like the Yellowstone area and you'll like Yellowstone Bear World; fun place, and if you have kids they'll like it as well.

If you can get to McCall, Idaho, might want to check out the cabins and condos there on the Payette Lake, and check out the Tamarack Ski Resort. This time of year zip lining and mountain biking like crazy.

Have a great trip--sounds like fun!!

A few possibilities:

Mt Rushmore and Deadwood, in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Yellowstone and Jackson Hole in NW Wyoming.

Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado

There are touristy things to do plus hiking available

Salida / Buena Vista area of Colorado.
There are hot springs in the area that have cabins etc.
Wineries and local breweries in and around Salida and all the touristy stuff.
Roy Gorge is not far away but had a forest fire last year.
There is a good public range north of Salida.

Agree about Buenie (Buena Vista) had a house there for over 30 years

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Paradise Valley/Chico Hot Springs, Mt. Right outside Yellowstone NP. Good time of year. Chico is rustic but cool and Bozeman is a fun college town.

Paradise Valley/Chico Hot Springs, Mt. Right outside Yellowstone NP. Good time of year. Chico is rustic but cool and Bozeman is a fun college town.

^^^This, I've traveled in every state west of the Mississippi (and some east of it) and Chico is one of the great ones. (especially for some chill time with the wifey) Short drive into Yellowstone, which if you've never been is really something to see, and in October, while the possibility of less than great weather exists, you also won't have to deal with the crowds of the summertime. Other option if you want a little more town around you is to stay on the western side of the park in West Yellowstone, MT. Great little town, the park, and all that comes with it, and lots of other activities. They even have an indoor range where you can rent full autos of MANY flavors.

Another great place is Glacier National park and the surrounding areas in North West MT.

I used to live in Paradise Valley and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could pay the bills there. There's tons to see and do in CO as well, but for my time and money, MT, North-Western WY, and ID are where it's at.

If you're interested in West Yellowstone, PM me and I can hook you up with a guy that rents cabins that are clean, comfortable, and very competitively priced.

I agree. The Yellowstone area is one of my favorite places on earth. I would so love to live somewhere around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don't be surprised at Bozeman. If you hate the liberals in California, you'll be surprised at the liberals in Bozeman. Never seen so many Subaru driving, latte drinking, Obama stickered Suburban driving, soccer mom liberals all in one place shy of San Fran, then when I rolled through Bozeman this past summer. I think there's a shortage of hemp shirts and flip flops in that town these days...

It was a quaint (architecturally) town though...

Yellowstone is just plain breath taking. Doesn't matter how many times I drive through there, or what season it is.

Last edited:
The place I would have suggested (in central Idaho) closed for the season this week, so +1 for Yellowstone and / or Jackson Hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody WY, right by Yellowstone. Firearms Museum second to none. Check out the Cody Range complex if you want long range (or any other type shooting). Good fishing if that's on your list.

Just don't be surprised at Bozeman. If you hate the liberals in California, you'll be surprised at the liberals in Bozeman. Never seen so many Subaru driving, latte drinking, Obama stickered Suburban driving, soccer mom liberals all in one place shy of San Fran, then when I rolled through Bozeman this past summer. I think there's a shortage of hemp shirts and flip flops in that town these days...

It was a quaint (architecturally) town though...

Yellowstone is just plain breath taking. Doesn't matter how many times I drive through there, or what season it is.

ROFLMAO. I said, "fun" WTF, now you go and blow my little surprise! Bozeman still feels Orange-Fucking-County compared to Missoula tho. Just saying.

Another great place is Glacier National park and the surrounding areas in North West MT.
QUOTE]

The west if filled with great places to visit so it depends on how much driving you want to do. If you want to settle in and relax Assault nailed it. Glacier is great.

Congrats by the way....