• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plastic Hard Case Roundup for Shipping/Air Travel, manufacturers, opinions, experiences?

Cowbiker

Not a public figure
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2009
Deep in the heart of Texas
Just go pelican/pelican storm, get the tsa approved locks and one lock only you can open, and lock it up tight.

Academy - Game Winner® GUN GUARD® Double-Scoped Rifle Case with Wheels

This is a great option in my opinion. No, it's not a pelican but it's only $120 shipped and sometimes it ok to not spend a bunch of money.

Agreed, I just got my pelican on sale. Any equivale will be a great choice. I've never owned an equivalent case that's why I just went simple and suggested a pelican/storm. Mine slid off a 4 wheeler going pretty quick and my only worry at that moment was "I hope by case doesn't get scratched to bad". The few grand in guns in it never crossed my mind, that should seriously tell you something. Having said that, there are many many more people on here that know way more than me, if there were a less expensive choice just as durable, I would have been all over it.

I got pelican I have used other cases for work but pelican stand up the best the storm cases work the best. When I have flown I have used normal locks I don't think you can use TSA locks they well have you open it and check it with TSA and they will put a signed card in it saying it was inspected. I have heard some place will have you unlock it when you receive it to make sure it was not opened in transit. Check with the airlines about shipping ammo. So will only let you ship sealed boxes of ammo.

I have a starlight and a pelican. Both are planty of protection for my needs while traveling.

The starlight uses bolt on wheels which stick out a few inches. Seems to always get caught on something.
The pelican has a little more low profile wheel set up which I like more.

Both cases lock up tight

My Pelican has been to Africa twice, and survived incredible, (and I believe intentional) abuse. Probably has a few more trips in it.
I'll stick with Pelican for now.

I duct tape the latches in the closed position after clearing all the authorities, that helps a lot.
Interestingly, my duct tape was seized by South Africa TSA types because they said it was prohibited on aircraft.

Get a Storm, the latches are better than the Pelicans, both have a lifetime warranty, one really nice thing both have now is the ability to stand up on end, that is nice when standing in line waiting for Walmart Rejects(TSA) to do there thing