• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plinking Steel

roormack

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2010
United States
So my buddy and I are about to order some AR500 steel, but I have a few questions.....
I weld and have rigged up some pendulum-type targets using realty signs and 1/2'' steel. They work great, just not 500 type strength. So I have been looking at BigDog and Bobcat target companies. But need input, and Do's&Dont's of steel shooting...... Looking at 45&66% IPSC targets.

-I like the H-base with the 2x4 post bracket on top, but not only will I be shooting LR at them but also want to use them in a carbine/pistol course of fire scenario. If they are at a slight downward angle and have some "play" in the mounts how close can i shoot them with pistol and carbine safely?

-Had some square stands (5x5) given to me that would be great to hang steel from, what is best to hang targets from? firehose, rubber belting, chain???? Also would that be safer for closer engagements? Hanging or post bracket...

-Bobcat's steel prices are more competitive than BigDog's. Any differance in quality, both are waterjet cut.

-Is 3/8" AR500 thick enough?

New to steel shooting and really like it. Please give me some input on what works and doesn't, or if there are some better companies out there besides the two I listed.

Thanls

Re: Plinking Steel

I have steel from both company's. Both are really good.

BD posted prices include shipping, bobcats don't. So look at prices in the cart with shipping added.

I got some 1/2" to shoot with .338 Lapua, but think it is overkill for targets past 300 or 400 yards (which is all the time). 3/8" should be fine, even for .308 at 100. Be careful with .223 penetrator, or anything above 3000fps or steel core.

If you weld, search target stands for ideas. The ones that use rebar seem to work well.

I am using chain for now, once it is shot up I will try seat belt webbing. Fire hose, or tire rubber strips should work well too.

Big Dog targets come with a coat of white paint - Bobcat comes au natural. Other than that they are pretty much the same and both great companies to work with.

I've learned that welds never hold up in the long run, plus they weaken/soften the steel around the welds. I use grade 8 bolts and washers on the business side and hang them with strips of old conveyer belt. I've used chain in the past and the belt holds up better to the stray round and the target steadies quicker after a hit. Belt is lighter than chain too if you end up carrying it for any length of time.

3/8" AR500 will hold up fine as long as you don't shoot magnums at fairly close range. I've shot hundreds of rounds of .22-250 SMKs (3660 fps) at 100 yards and beyond with maybe a microscopic dimple or two - no major cratering. 308 and 30-06 no problems. These are copper jacketed lead bullets, not steel core.

Can't really advise on the short range pistol stuff as I don't really get into that and I'm too chicken to shoot steel under 50 yards, but the guys I see doing it mount the target to a solid 4x4 post at about a 75-80 degree downward angle (slight downward angle).

Glad you are ready to make the jump!

General rule to consider with pistol is 10yds min, tack on a few extra if messing around with the magnums.

Hanging the steel really is a personal preference. I would recommend something along the lines or baler banding or seat belts. They will take many more hits than a chain before failing.

3/8" AR500 is a lot more resilient than some give it credit for. We shot .50BMG at one at 30yds for S's and G's once...looked the same as the ones I have tagged at 100. Go figure.

In regards to shipping, my website is currently set up with flat price shipping per item. I have been having issues with my integrated calculators and until I can trust them I will not activate them. They seem to think a 100% torso will fit in a small flat rate box...not going to happen.

What that means is DO NOT USE MY WEBSITE SHIPPING PRICES FOR COMPARISON. They are a worst case scenario. I have always encouraged potential customers to contact me directly via pm, email, or phone and I can give you fast and accurate shipping numbers. We use flat rate boxes whenever possible.

If you have any questions or concerns, just let me know. I'll be happy to help.