• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Plinking with the Mosin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
Prescott, AZ
[video=youtube;7aU-tZnxMBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aU-tZnxMBY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Video was taken over several outings during Dec 2013 and Jan 2014. Target Video was shot with an iPhone 4s w/ Kowa adapter and spotting scope set on 40-60X. Side view video was taken with an Optio W30.

All ranges were lasered, except the one paper target shot... that was at the 100 yd line at the local range.

On the 387 yd clips you can see some bullet trace. I tried to set up the camera/scope directly above the bore, but only when the focus was set a little short can you see some trace. I was holding 3 MILs (about 10 feet) left on the 1080 target, and the cold bore shot @ 608 yds was a 2 MIL (3.5 feet) left wind call. FYI I had 36 MOA up on the rifle for the hit at 1080 yds.

This rifle was modified in the Fall of 2011 by yours truly. I have around $750 in the whole rifle. You can view the full project here... Surplusrifle Forum ? View topic - Mosin Nagant Sporter Project-With Range Report

I read your other thread, Incredible! I would love to have the ability to do that some day!

Very nice!

I did a similar project a number of years ago. Would love to talk w/ you about your seating length. I found some very interesting things about these old Mosins. It had (at least mine) a VERY narrow window on seating length.

Everyone always asks me where I got a stainless barrel for a Mosin! :)

Attachments

• DSCN9427.JPG
    DSCN9427.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 15
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I really enjoy taking this old girl out...

Jcub said:
I read your other thread, Incredible! I would love to have the ability to do that some day!

Thank you sir, I sure enjoyed working on her!! I had a direction I wanted to take her in... and I just did it!

Tempest 455 said:
Very nice!

I did a similar project a number of years ago. Would love to talk w/ you about your seating length. I found some very interesting things about these old Mosins. It had (at least mine) a VERY narrow window on seating length.

Everyone always asks me where I got a stainless barrel for a Mosin!

Nice rifle!! It looks like you just polished up the original barrel and left it in the white... I can still see the rear sight dovetail.

Definitely, ask away... I really didn't have too much problem with seating depth, but ALL my loads used a HEAVY crimp from a Lee FCD. I measured the throat in this rifle, and I had almost .250" jump!! Ya... 1/4"...

I've measured a few others... built some Mosins w/ the UK-59 barrel, have a couple Finn Mosins, and have a reamer that I've used for .308" barrel mosins. The tightest throats are the UK-59 barrels, and those have around 0.060" jump with the O.C.L. set at 3.000" (and a 174 SMK). Even the PTG reamer cutting new chambers has almost 0.100" of bullet jump to the lands.

I cut the original down to 24" and did a target crown. Yes I polished the barrel by sanding it w/ 1st and then polishing it on a wool wheel. I just jeep it oiled and it's been that way for 4 years.

I'm using a COAL of 3.002" w/ the 175 SMK. So far it's been around 1 MOA out to 400 yards. Not bad for an old gun, not sure it will get much better than that.

I cut the original down to 24" and did a target crown. Yes I polished the barrel by sanding it w/ 1st and then polishing it on a wool wheel. I just jeep it oiled and it's been that way for 4 years.

I'm using a COAL of 3.002" w/ the 175 SMK. So far it's been around 1 MOA out to 400 yards. Not bad for an old gun, not sure it will get much better than that.

What did your bore slug at?? Are you using the .308" SMK??

I am getting around 3/4-1 MOA consistently with my loads... but with the pencil thin barrel, it heats up quickly!! After three rounds in quick succession the impacts walk noticeably. For a hunting rifle I don't mind that though.

What did your bore slug at?? Are you using the .308" SMK??

I am getting around 3/4-1 MOA consistently with my loads... but with the pencil thin barrel, it heats up quickly!! After three rounds in quick succession the impacts walk noticeably. For a hunting rifle I don't mind that though.

Never slugged it. It very well might be larger like many of them at .311-.312. I just shoot the .308 SMK because that's what I load for F/TR for another rifle.

Ditto on barrel heat and accuracy. It's far from being anywhere near as accurate as some of my .308's but it's fun to shoot! :) The Timney trigger was by far one of the best things I did for the rifle. Actually, some of that old Russian 182g match is pretty good for surplus.

MGSC 2/2/13 - Mosinator 400 yards - Russian 182g match - YouTube

Last edited:
Never slugged it. It very well might be larger like many of them at .311-.312. I just shoot the .308 SMK because that's what I load for F/TR.

Ditto on barrel heat and accuracy. It's far from being anywhere near as accurate as some of my .308's but it's fun to shoot! :) The Timney trigger was by far one of the best things I did for the rifle. Actually, some of that old Russian 182g match is pretty good for surplus.

I love the way these rifles 'echo'... definitely louder than a .308.

I'm finishing up an M28/76 Mosin... hopefully will be working up loads for her within the next month. I got the barrelled action for $225, and the nice thing is that the Finns put match grade .308" barrels on them in 1976, and 1977. I'm hoping with the match grade thicker (definitely military contoured, but similiar to a light palma contour) barrel she won't be as heat sensitive. Also with a .308" 1-10" I'm planning on shooting 200 grain bergers. With 50 + grains of IMR 4350, and the 27" barrel I'm hoping for close to 2600 fps.

I'm putting the barrelled action in one of these stocks. Mosin Nagant Stocks, Custom Gunstocks for your Mosin Nagant - Home You might check them out, if you like F/TR then these stocks might be a little more comfortable than that boyds.

I've also got a project that I'm going to be finishing up too. I closed the rear bridge, and moved the bolt handle back.

bedded_zps785b23a5.jpg

I'm putting her in this stock...

IMGP1003_zpsb20c629b.jpg

I'm re-chambering it in .220 Ackley Improved, and putting a 30" heavy palma contour barrel with a 1-8" twist. I'm hoping to get 3,500 + fps out of 80 grain VLD's.

Here is the project if you care to peruse. Southern California Mosin Owners ? View topic - The 1 mile Mosin Nagant

We shoot an F/TR rifle in F/TR. A Mosin would never be accurate enough. I like playing w/ them but you need a rifle capable of well under .5 MOA and well over 2,700 to shoot 1,000 yards "accurately".

Last season we shot a Savage 10 BA but the 24" barrel meant we had to load them pretty hot. This year we are shooing a 12 F/TR. With the 30" barrel, the same loads are going over 100 FPS faster.

I like playing with the Mosin. However, there is a reason you don't see them in F/TR competition.

Last edited:
We shoot an F/TR rifle in F/TR. A Mosin would never be accurate enough. I like playing w/ them but you need a rifle capable of well under .5 MOA and well over 2,700 to shoot 1,000 yards "accurately".

Last season we shot a Savage 10 BA but the 24" barrel meant we had to load them pretty hot. This year we are shooing a 12 F/TR. With the 30" barrel, the same loads are going over 100 FPS faster.

I like playing with the Mosin. However, there is a reason you don't see them in F/TR competition.

Definitely not saying that you should shoot F/TR with a Mosin... just the caliber alone disqualifies it I believe.

I was just pointing out that since you've put together your Mosin, more and more people are making aftermarket stocks for these things. These big gorilla stocks are definitely profiled for bench/prone shooting. You might like the feel of these guys stocks over the light, hunter profile of the boyds.

Definitely not saying that you should shoot F/TR with a Mosin... just the caliber alone disqualifies it I believe.

I was just pointing out that since you've put together your Mosin, more and more people are making aftermarket stocks for these things. These big gorilla stocks are definitely profiled for bench/prone shooting. You might like the feel of these guys stocks over the light, hunter profile of the boyds.

F/TR is limited to .223 and .308. As long as you shot a .308 bullet, you would be legal. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see someone do it. But you would need a custom barrel and by the time you are done (cost), might of well just built a .308 anyway.

F/TR is limited to .223 and .308. As long as you shot a .308 bullet, you would be legal. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see someone do it. But you would need a custom barrel and by the time you are done (cost), might of well just built a .308 anyway.

Good to go... I was under the impression that it was limited to those specific cases. Though I haven't shot F/TR or F-class period, I do shoot LR and XC matches. Just listening to some of the older guys talk gave me that impression.

Cost is definitely an issue, and the attraction to the Mosin is that it is cheap. I guess the only reason that I mess with them as much as I do is because I can... I have access to a machine shop, and the knowledge/experience to do my own work.

toobright_zps587b3044.jpg