• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

POF P 415 questions

AMR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2011
Idaho, USA
Just picked this up from another member of the hide and ran about 60 rounds through it yesterday. Had a couple issues I was wondering if anyone had a solution for:

1. The bolt carrier did not completely return forward preventing firing. This happened several times, mostly when I just fired single round and then was spotting my target, then after that pause went to fire again and nothing, then looked and saw the bolt forward but the carrier about a half inch short of forward. When I fired semi-rapid it never had a problem. Ammo was factory AE 55gr in .223. Also, the bolt and carrier group was very clean and according to the previous owner only had a couple hundred rounds through it.

2. The upper and the lower have a little wiggle between them, not much just a hair but I wonder how that will effect accuracy? Any way to tighten it up? It's the 16" barrel upper with the p-9sx rail and guard. Lower is P-415.

Any insights from POF knowledgeable folks are appreciated. Thanks.

Re: POF P 415 questions

Hows your buffer spring? When you charge a round have you ever had a problem with the bolt not closing? did the forward assist work?

Extract the rounds that are failing to go into battery, are they deformed? I was having this issue with my P415, the rounds were getting bent right below the shoulder. Any round that was chambered would get mauled to some extent but with fully loaded magazines the problem was magnified and would fail to go into battery at times.

I contacted POF and they had me send in the upper. They replaced the piston, gas plug, and polished the chamber. It seems to be working well now.

My issues were with PMC bronze .223 It would scuff up Privi Partisan but I think that the 5.56 brass was tough enough to resist deformation enough and I did not have feeding problems with it.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Thanks TF. That makes me feel a little better about the wiggle.

Sendit - I took the spring out and looked at it, looks new along with the plug, but I don't know how to tell if it is good or not. Seems to have good recoil and does not stick or hang up anywhere when I manually push it back and let it go. I tried the forward assist and it seemed to push but I think that since the bolt was already all the way forward it did not do anything. The carrier did not move with the forward assist.

Pyro - I'll check the brass next time. I only gave them a quick glace as I reloaded them into the mag again, they all fired the second time. I found that when I used the charging arm the carrier would not always go all the way forward, so I started to lock back the bolt and then only use the bolt release to send the carrier/bolt forward. This really slams it home and I didn't have any trouble on the first round when I did that.

I did find that the gas release valve was in the suppressed position (saw that when I was cleaning the gun). I've changed it to the non-suppressed direction and I'll see if that makes any difference next time.

Thanks for the insights. I'll keep fiddling with it till I figure it out!

Just to clarify, I didn't have any failures to go into battery when I manually charged the weapon, or sent the BCG forward by releasing the bolt release. When a failure occurred it was always (that I can remember) the second round from a full magazine when the weapon had chambered said round under its own steam.

Manually charging the weapon or using a partially loaded mag would usually only result in a bit of a shiny spot directly beneath the shoulder of a cartridge.

Having the gas system set to Normal should liven things up a bit. Mine won't even cycle when set to suppressed.

Let us know how it turns out.

Maarten