• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes POI change.... is it just me?

srzbiznz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Went to the range the other day to sight in my Remington 700 with Millett LRS-1 scope. I was hitting the center of the target at 12x magnification and then i changed it to 25x magnification and started to hit about an inch lower and about an inch to the right. Is it me moving because of the higher magnification or does the POI actually change when changing magnifications?

Re: POI change.... is it just me?

ok so you know its a sfp so wouldn't it cause that
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok so you know its a sfp so wouldn't it cause that
confused.gif
</div></div>Why do you conclude that? FFPs can have reticle jump, but SFPs can have POI shifts as well.

Not sure, that's why I'm asking....... I am new to this so it doesn't make sense to me to have a variable power scope if the POI will change whenever you change the magnification
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok so you know its a sfp so wouldn't it cause that
confused.gif
</div></div>Why do you conclude that? FFPs can have reticle jump, but SFPs can have POI shifts as well.</div></div>

that's what I'm saying, because it's a SFP. That would make his POI change

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure, that's why I'm asking....... I am new to this so it doesn't make sense to me to have a variable power scope if the POI will change whenever you change the magnification
smirk.gif
</div></div>

that's why you need a FFP, I have a nice one for sale
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok so you know its a sfp so wouldn't it cause that
confused.gif
</div></div>Why do you conclude that? FFPs can have reticle jump, but SFPs can have POI shifts as well.</div></div> that's what I'm saying, because it's a SFP. That would make his POI change </div></div>Oh, I get it now. I misunderstood. Yup: Could be that the scope is broken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure, that's why I'm asking....... I am new to this so it doesn't make sense to me to have a variable power scope if the POI will change whenever you change the magnification
smirk.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

what kind and how much?:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure, that's why I'm asking....... I am new to this so it doesn't make sense to me to have a variable power scope if the POI will change whenever you change the magnification
smirk.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

what kind and how much?:)</div></div>

SN-3 3.2-17x T-PAL

Left Side Parallax

44mm Objective

30mm Tube

Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing

Lo-Profile – Rapid Focus Eyepiece

Mil Scale GAP Reticle

Digital Push Button Illumination (Red)

EREK .1 Mil Elevation

US#3 .1 Mil Windage

Retail: $2,746.00

Oh and is 25x really necessary for long range shooting or can something in the 14x range work just as good?

[/quote]

SN-3 3.2-17x T-PAL

Left Side Parallax

44mm Objective

30mm Tube

Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing

Lo-Profile – Rapid Focus Eyepiece

Mil Scale GAP Reticle

Digital Push Button Illumination (Red)

EREK .1 Mil Elevation

US#3 .1 Mil Windage

Retail: $2,746.00 [/quote]

Umm yeah my pockets aren't that deep yet lol I wish i could afford it:/

14 to 16 power is plenty out to 1000 yards once you get used to not seeing flies crawling around on the target and just aim for center.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">14 to 16 power if plenty out to 1000 yards once you get used to not seeing flies crawling around on the target and just aim for center.

Topstrap </div></div>

Thanks Topstrap! I think I am going to pick up a falcon menace 4-14x44 for time being.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to the range the other day to sight in my Remington 700 with Millett LRS-1 scope. I was hitting the center of the target at 12x magnification and then i changed it to 25x magnification and started to hit about an inch lower and about an inch to the right. Is it me moving because of the higher magnification or does the POI actually change when changing magnifications? </div></div>

When you raise magnification, the parralax will probably become more sensitive. You always should pay attention to parralax-

The way to check it is to bring the target into focus and then set the rifle on the sand sock and bipod and without touching your cheek to the stock you wiggle your head side to side (getting scope shadow on different sides to exagerate poor focal alignment- if the reticle moves in relation to the target there is parralax and you need to adjust the focus and try again.

Some scopes are more sensitive than others. For examples, the Leupold M3A we used in the Army IMO was a lot more sensitive than the Leupold MKIV 3.5-10x40mm LRT which paralax barely needed to be considered for. Our old PVS10 day night sights were horrible- and if you didn't focus them perfectly at every range, you could miss the whole target with a PVS10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to the range the other day to sight in my Remington 700 with Millett LRS-1 scope. I was hitting the center of the target at 12x magnification and then i changed it to 25x magnification and started to hit about an inch lower and about an inch to the right. Is it me moving because of the higher magnification or does the POI actually change when changing magnifications? </div></div>

When you raise magnification, the parralax will probably become more sensitive. You always should pay attention to parralax-

The way to check it is to bring the target into focus and then set the rifle on the sand sock and bipod and without touching your cheek to the stock you wiggle your head side to side (getting scope shadow on different sides to exagerate poor focal alignment- if the reticle moves in relation to the target there is parralax and you need to adjust the focus and try again.

Some scopes are more sensitive than others. For examples, the Leupold M3A we used in the Army IMO was a lot more sensitive than the Leupold MKIV 3.5-10x40mm LRT which paralax barely needed to be considered for. Our old PVS10 day night sights were horrible- and if you didn't focus them perfectly at every range, you could miss the whole target with a PVS10. </div></div>

Thanks for this info! Maybe that's what is causing it it.... The rings that came with this scope is so high that I had to put the side of my chin on the stock and whenever I made a slight movement, the scope would have a white blur inside of it. I have low rings coming in and I'll be sure to try what you just said. I'm hoping it works because I really don't want to buy another scope lol.

The only Millet scope I've owned (a few years ago) gave me a 1.5 MOA shift when changing from low to high power. Needless to say, it went on down the road.

sfp can change poi with change in power. it is the design, the erector must work exactly the same way each time its used-- not likely. ffp while they can change poi from power changes it is not due to the design. The error is a random variable. It is nice to know when a error will occur,but because they do not have a memory of when they did it last are called memoryless. In this sense they are calculated the same as baseball batting averages using Poisson distributions. And just like a high batting average we like scopes with a high batting average, or repeatabily which usually comes at a price. If the error in your sfp is repeatable its not due to the random element but caused by another problem and needs to be returned.

I owned the same scope that you have. I experienced multiple warranty returns for failure to track before I finally disposed of the problem. It would not suprise me at all if the scope was not working properly.

Try box testing it at different magnifications and see what happens.

Most manufacturers have POI shift through the power change. It is caused by inconsistencies in the glass. When you adjust the power up, the lens moves fore and aft. If not ground perfectly you will see exactly what you are seeing in your scope! You will notice it in just about any cheaper scope.