• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poll: which mid-length 6.5 chambering?

Which mid-length 6.5 chambering best meets my goals?

• 6.5 Addiction

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 6.5-284

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 6.5 PRC

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
For some time now I have had an itch to run a mid-length 6.5 mm chambering in a hunting-oriented rifle. For the longest time, my intent was to go with 6.5 Addiction (and it's still in the running), but I've also been considering 6.5-284 and now the 6.5 PRC.

The other day, I jumped on a Tikka T3 chambered in .30-06 as part of the Euro Optic closeout, and that's the platform that I'm going to use for this build. As many of you are aware, one of the beauties of the T3 is that the same action can be converted from long action to short action with nothing more than the changing of the bolt stop. Additionally, while the T3 is (IMO) somewhat limited in terms of running true long action cartridges (due to OAL restrictions), it is absolutely PERFECT for running short or mid-length cartridges with the projectiles seated out to allow more room in the case for powder.

Anyhow, my goals for the gun are that it be able to run 140-class projectiles at 2950-3000 FPS out of a 24" barrel and the ability to buy ammo at, if not Wal*Mart, at least a sporting goods store (think Cabela's, etc...). So here are my thoughts on the cartridges I've listed:

6.5 Addiction
PROs - GREAT brass available from multiple sources, seems to offer good barrel life, is known as a very accurate cartridge
CONs - obviously can't buy 6.5 Addiction ammo at the store (6.5x55 could be used in a pinch; drawback here is that it is likely to be loaded to lower pressures for compatibility with older guns), parent cartridge not as available at Cabela's as I'd hoped

6.5-284
PROs - has the powder capacity to get me where I want to go (speed-wise), decent brass availability
CONs - known barrel-burner, short-ish neck, not as available at Cabela's as I'd hoped

6.5 PRC
PROs - efficient case design (theoretically), very close to 6.5 SAUM design (good accuracy and decent barrel life)
CONs - would have to open up bolt face, Hornady-only for now (though recently SAAMI-approved), availability is a question

Are there any cartridges that I'm missing? I want to stay away from full-length options (264 Rem Mag, etc...) because of the OAL restrictions on the action (and barrel consumption), and I really want to be able to find ammo at a store in a pinch. If I was willing to go full custom, I'd probably just go with 6.5 SS or SST, as they both seem to have the rest of my bases covered. Obviously, as this is a hunting-oriented build, it's not going to see long, sustained strings of fire, but there's still load development and practice to be done... and I don't want to end up using half my barrel life before I get a chance to use the rifle for its intended purpose. I understand that barrels are consumables, but I plan to go with a carbon-wrapped unit on this, so replacement cost will be higher than average.

I went through the same dilemma recently, although the 6.5-284 wasn't a consideration. I decided on PRC. There is ammo sitting on the shelf at Sportman's Warehouse, and there are rumblings of some premium brass offerings coming later. An even bigger factor was that I could get a CF Proof pre-fit with Savage threads. I have the barrel, but I'm still awaiting my Nucleus so I haven't been able to shoot it yet.

Straight .284 is one to consider, not 6.5mm but those 7mm bullets are just as slippery.

Straight .284 is one to consider, not 6.5mm but those 7mm bullets are just as slippery.
I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't considered this as an option, but then I'd run into the same issue with ammo availability at sporting goods stores. I am just starting to play with 7mm cartridges, and have a 7 LRM currently with a plan for a 7mm Rem Mag (once the long action Nucleus is released) and a 7mm SAW barrel for the AIAT. I was also thinking of good ol' 280 Rem or 280 AI, but kept bumping into the OAL issue with the Tikka action.

270 WSM was another consideration, but there's really only one good .277 projectile out there (the Berger EOL), and if I ran into a scarcity issue on that, I'd be mighty annoyed. I also pondered the 300 WSM (and the new 300 PRC), but found myself kind of getting away from the initial concept of the gun in that I want something that is light enough to carry (for an out-of-shape desk jockey) without being punishing when the trigger gets pulled.

For hunting, my guess is the extra projectile mass of a 7mm is going to extend the ethical range more than velocity is going to do for a 6.5mm, especially if the BC is higher.

You should use a calculator to compare them on the type of shots you're going to take. I don't think recoil is going to be all that different compared to a really fast 6.5mm.

Of the three, I’d do the addiction. I was in the same situation and ended up deciding on the vanilla Swede. It’s easy and animals don’t know the difference.

Addiction. I'm running a 6.5x55AI that I throated a bit longer. 140 RDF's a bit over 3000 fps is easy. Couldn't be happier,
Haven't had a chance to take it hunting yet.