• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PortaJohn

photo_2022-03-03_04-39-28.jpg

of course, anyone with half a brain knew this and didn't need to be an engineer. Prairie grass grows faster, better output, grows anywhere and yields more as the process to turn to fuel is more efficient.
Completely wrong, there is substantially less energy in prairie grass than corn, ie you can’t make chicken dumplings out of chicken shit.

All things considered (crackdown on the truckers protest and what not yet now calling for lethal aid and more to Ukraine ) … I doubt I ever seen’t a more ironic last name, bordering on fuckin sarcastic..

Completely wrong, there is substantially less energy in prairie grass than corn, ie you can’t make chicken dumplings out of chicken shit.
doesn't appear that way, "prairie biomass would yield 51 percent more energy per acre than ethanol from corn grown on fertile land"

Prairie grass or switchgrass yields more than 540 percent more energy than the energy needed to produce and convert it to ethanol, making the grassy weed a far superior source for biofuels than corn ethanol, reports a study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

doesn't appear that way, "prairie biomass would yield 51 percent more energy per acre than ethanol from corn grown on fertile land"

Prairie grass or switchgrass yields more than 540 percent more energy than the energy needed to produce and convert it to ethanol, making the grassy weed a far superior source for biofuels than corn ethanol, reports a study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).
Couple of problems.
1 one must take other crops out of rotation to plant switchgrass.
2 what other use/market of switchgrass is there?
3 in truth we don't need ethanol when we are sitting on a couple of oceans of oil.

The last one was proven with the last President.
I can imagine where the prices would have been if he was still there.

R

Can anything be done about the Omnibus now??
Need to hope and pray that Manchin and Sinema vote against it in the senate without any of the Rino’s going for it… My fear is that they’ll all virtue signal Ukraine Ukraine Ukraine, we need to provide the aid to them, oh, and we’re giving more money to the department of defense as well… Sure hope they grow some balls and reject it

From the same people that tell you C02 is a

They have been talking about for 10 years and can’t get a plant built due to the simple fact that cellulose digesters work better in the

Fascinating, you pull up an article that from 2006 on this great idea of using biomass grass in theory. Why has no one done it yet? Are those of us in ag too stupid to find more profitable crops? This bullshit has been floating around forever by the same idiots who think that carbon is a pollutant.

Couple of problems.
1 one must take other crops out of rotation to plant switchgrass.
2 what other use/market of switchgrass is there?
3 in truth we don't need ethanol when we are sitting on a couple of oceans of oil.

The last one was proven with the last President.
I can imagine where the prices would have been if he was still there.

R
don't disagree at all merely was responding to the link that was posted

I'm a drill baby drill guy!

Reactions: Beefmanne

They have been talking about for 10 years and can’t get a plant built due to the simple fact that cellulose digesters work better in the

Fascinating, you pull up an article that from 2006 on this great idea of using biomass grass in theory. Why has no one done it yet? Are those of us in ag too stupid to find more profitable crops? This bullshit has been floating around forever by the same idiots who think that carbon is a pollutant.

Switch Grass (and a variety or other widely touted options) didn't take off for many reasons. (and is the comparison against the corn grain the stover or both?) Corn stover is a arguably a much more realistic if not not cost effective option.

The Dept of Energy was pouring money into any company with a good Biofuels story and most were just that.
This was especially the case around 15 years ago.

The cellulosic biofuels require C5 converting yeasts and enzymes (unlike corn based ethanol) as well as some form of pretreatment, which was arguably one of the biggest challenges.
Only a handful of companies had/have C5 converting ethanologens.
The fermentation technology does exist but the ethanol produced is not cost effective.

70% of US corn goes to animal feed. The food vs fuel claim was and is total bullshit.
Food grade corn is generally grown on contracts and not impacted. The #2 yellow dent corn that is most prevalent across the Midwest can be utilized for ethanol with the the protein still recovered for animal feed as dried distillers grains.
I believe most of the ICM built plants were 2.8+ gallons per bushel of corn.
Ethanol utilizes the starch not the protein so we aren't losing the feed value of the grain.
Grain (Corn) production/handling/logistics is very efficient and understood unlike biomass.

How do you handle and store cellulosic biomass? Baling required additional field passes and huge space requirements for storage.
Can you dry the grass or stover and bale it when fighting rain and snow and muddy fields?
Ever seen mass bale storage sites go up in flames from spontaneous combustion?
What if you your cropping and tillage plans require "X" amount of residue based on your soil type and slope? Can you be in compliance and still harvest the biomass?

I would love for cellulosic ethanol to be commercially viable and I would also like conventional starch based ethanol to be more efficient.
Unfortunately, reality often limits our aspirations!

not fascinating at all given that was the time much of this was being discussed. As we know, politics played a big role in this. Point still stands, it's a better source than corn which is what the primary point was to the video posted

Either way, it was the big start to the green bs we have today. I'm an oil guy, drill it till it's empty as that will aid our country best.

Switch Grass (and a variety or other widely touted options) didn't take off for many reasons. (and is the comparison against the corn grain the stover or both?) Corn stover is a arguably a much more realistic if not not cost effective option.

The Dept of Energy was pouring money into any company with a good Biofuels story and most were just that.
This was especially the case around 15 years ago.

The cellulosic biofuels require C5 converting yeasts and enzymes (unlike corn based ethanol) as well as some form of pretreatment, which was arguably one of the biggest challenges.
Only a handful of companies had/have C5 converting ethanologens.
The fermentation technology does exist but the ethanol produced is not cost effective.

70% of US corn goes to animal feed. The food vs fuel claim was and is total bullshit.
Food grade corn is generally grown on contracts and not impacted. The #2 yellow dent corn that is most prevalent across the Midwest can be utilized for ethanol with the the protein still recovered for animal feed as dried distillers grains.
I believe most of the ICM built plants were 2.8+ gallons per bushel of corn.
Ethanol utilizes the starch not the protein so we aren't losing the feed value of the grain.
Grain (Corn) production/handling/logistics is very efficient and understood unlike biomass.

How do you handle and store cellulosic biomass? Baling required additional field passes and huge space requirements for storage.
Can you dry the grass or stover and bale it when fighting rain and snow and muddy fields?
Ever seen mass bale storage sites go up in flames from spontaneous combustion?
What if you your cropping and tillage plans require "X" amount of residue based on your soil type and slope? Can you be in compliance and still harvest the biomass?

I would love for cellulosic ethanol to be commercially viable and I would also like conventional starch based ethanol to be more efficient.
Unfortunately, reality often limits our aspirations!
I remember the discussion and political back and forth on much of this. No doubt money into large farms consortium/companies etc played a big part.

good stuff in your post and informative, thanks

Bear with me here:

Regardless of whether we do or don't have these labs, and whether or not they are weapons oriented or cleanup from USSR - matters not. What does matter is "the press" is no longer believable - at anything. Anything the press says...put a logical "NOT" bar across the top and you'll be just as likely to have the real story. THIS is the travesty of the liberal press...they destroyed themselves (that part I have no problem with), but they really destroyed journalism and the "free press" as envisioned by Benjamin Franklin, et al.

The free press was supposed to keep the government honest...until the government obviously figured out they could make them a propaganda machine on steriods. Admittedly, the press has always had a bent one way or another; but, now...it's just pure propaganda for marxism.

So, a crack-addicted pedophile linked to a bioweapon lab. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited: