• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Post your SMK/Match bullet kills

Any pictures of these poor performances? As with GHB, how are we to be sure that it was the bullet failing and not just a poor shot?

This is a young coyote that got hit with a .308 175 smk, it almost gutted him, my fist could fit through the hole:

760902C7.jpg

Yote at 415 yards. 175 SMK out of the 18" 308. Dead on arrival. The exit was nasty like CBM's. Not to brag or anything but... He was trotting into a 3-5 mph wind. My best moving animal shot to date. Right where I wanted it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 40
Any pictures of these poor performances? As with GHB, how are we to be sure that it was the bullet failing and not just a poor shot?

This is a young coyote that got hit with a .308 175 smk, it almost gutted him, my fist could fit through the hole:

760902C7.jpg
-
hey, Nice Baby Dog there . What's that weigh ? .. like 7 Lbs. ?

Don't read something into what I wrote . ( I never said ) that I did Not kill the dogs I shot with the .30 175 smk's .
I said that I get far superior results with other bullets of other design that I shoot . When I compare what I do, with one bullet over another on coyotes. Other bullets make me Happier more than .30 175 smk's on coyotes .
I do love shooting .30 175 smk's . I have used them on Coyotes . but they are on the bottom of my list for Coyotes .

Nice Baby Dog there . What's that weigh ? .. like 7 Lbs. ?

Maybe, if you give him bath. I didn't realize it had to be a big coyote to count. Maybe someday when I get a softcock I'll get to shoot a big one ;) Nevertheless, he is dead, with a big hole in him from a 175SMK, where is your picture of one with a small "donkey ball sucking" hole? And maybe a picture of an acceptable hole from a superior bullet like a vmax for comparison? This thread is full of evidence albeit anecdotal, but where is yours to the contrary?

Maybe, if you give him bath. I didn't realize it had to be a big coyote to count. Maybe someday when I get a softcock I'll get to shoot a big one ;) Nevertheless, he is dead, with a big hole in him from a 175SMK, where is your picture of one with a small "donkey ball sucking" hole? And maybe a picture of an acceptable hole from a superior bullet like a vmax for comparison? This thread is full of evidence albeit anecdotal, but where is yours to the contrary?

I'm not trying to stir the pot but I'm curious why you consider this thread to be anecdotal evidence?

Lots of different rifles, lots of different animals, lots of different conditions. The only two things common to every pic posted in this thread are that the target was alive at one point and is no longer, and the SMKs. As far as I'm concerned this is fairly objective, empirical evidence. One slave action and barrel firing thousands of rounds into inanimate ballistic gel is kind of a poor way to test terminal ballistics if you ask me. Then again, no one has, or ever will ask me.

-
dude just some healthy flipping of shit on the small Coyote . I have shot some small ones before .
My motto used to be, 'and sometimes still is ', 1st one runs-in gets it in the face . and I think I shot @ least 2 yearlings this fall, but also I did let pass a shitload of them because i think they are Dumb as Hell and it's just not worth it, and It just Dirties-up the spot and makes it harder to get the older experienced ones there latter when I call .

( For Me ) over the years I get pretty relaxed and comfortable with shooting Coyote . When things workout I like to take as much time as possible and watch and study dogs before pulling the trigger . I like to Hear the hit and study the hit . ( For Me ) There is a Big difference in the way different bullets hit and kill Coyotes .
( For You ) You might not think there is a difference between killing & dead . ( For Me ) ' I believe there is ' . I kill Coyotes better with also more satisfaction in the way they die with bullets other than the 175 smk's . I don't like the way Dogs die with .30 175's smk's out my .308 win.

I think I'll load me up Some SMKs just so I can add the kills to this Thread...,personally,coldbore,I like just about everything about the way that coyote Died,I dont care what size a coyote is ,theyre all good when they have a Gapeing hole in them...Badass rifle,just makes it better...

I'm not trying to stir the pot but I'm curious why you consider this thread to be anecdotal evidence?

Lots of different rifles, lots of different animals, lots of different conditions. The only two things common to every pic posted in this thread are that the target was alive at one point and is no longer, and the SMKs. As far as I'm concerned this is fairly objective, empirical evidence. One slave action and barrel firing thousands of rounds into inanimate ballistic gel is kind of a poor way to test terminal ballistics if you ask me. Then again, no one has, or ever will ask me.
I said that because this whole thread is basically on the honor system, there is no proof that these kills are even caused by SMK's or match bullets. I dont mean to derail my own thread, Im just saying that we all need to take this with a grain of salt. I will say though, the thread is full of overwhelming evidence that these bullets work just fine on game.

[MENTION=7848]softcock[/MENTION], I know your just giving shit. I just wanted an excuse to say softcock, I was gonna say wilted cock, but that was over the line. As far as the bullets are concerned, in my humble experience, the only animals that didn't die either outright, or VERY quickly, were not hit as well as they could have been. And Im talking about animals from prairie dogs to elk, if it didn't go down, it was the shooter's fault.

Last edited:
I said that because this whole thread is basically on the honor system, there is no proof that these kills are even caused by SMK's or match bullets. I dont mean to derail my own thread, Im just saying that we all need to take this with a grain of salt. I will say though, the thread is full of overwhelming evidence that these bullets work just fine on game.

[MENTION=7848]softcock[/MENTION], I know your just giving shit. I just wanted an excuse to say softcock, I was gonna say wilted cock, but that was over the line. As far as the bullets are concerned, in my humble experience, the only animals that didn't die either outright, or VERY quickly, were not hit as well as they could have been. And Im talking about animals from prairie dogs to elk, if it didn't go down, it was the shooter's fault.
-
My comment was Post to the Thread, was about agreeing with a Poster on how .308 175 smks suck DonkeyBalls on Coyotes . Not talking about Prairie Dogs to Elk .

Talking about killing with one bullet type/design from one single manufacture from Prairie Dogs to Elk . The Thread topic will NEVER experience a satisfaction of completion . It's the perfect storm with endless, fruitless avenues of investigation .

I don't know about coyotes with 175 SMK's, but I went on a hunt several years ago using a 300 Win with 190 SMK's and shot a Barbery Sheep at 318 yards right behind the front left leg. I thought I was missing the sheep and ended up putting a 180 Nosler AB in the rifle to bring him down. When I examined the Barbery, he had three entry bullet holes the size of a pencil no bigger than a soft ball group behind his left shoulder and three of the exact same size on the opposite side. Then, there was the huge 180 AB hole just behind them. I don't know if that is a common trait of the 190 SMK, but I'll never use them again. However, my 250 and 300 SMK's work like a charm in my 338 RUM and Lapua. I was using the Federal Match 190 SMK's in my 300 because they shot under MOA compared to the AB which was just over MOA.

However, looking through all the posts once more, clearly the SMK's have a proven track record of impressive kills!

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:
[MENTION=7848]softcock[/MENTION], fruitless? This thread is PACKED with animals of every shape and size from every continent damn near. Id say it been pretty fruitful.

Nonetheless, we have digressed. This thread wasnt about discussing bullet X over Y, just posting your kill pics so others can decide if they wanna use them. So again I'll say, if you wanna, post whatcha got.

175 SMK out of my Thunder Ranch at 55 yards. Stumbled upon him as I was leaving and had given up for the evening. Bullet entered through the upper chest and exited through the left shoulder. Died 20ft from where it was hit. Old lady wouldn't let me clean it in the courtyard so into the shop it went.

My wife shot him this morning... Ground blind, good rest, 105 yards out. The deer was looking straight towards the blind when the 175smk dropped him. Very small entry wound, no exit, and made a mess of everything inside. It's her first buck ever so I'm proud...

.224 77gr Nosler Custom Competition @ 2660fps
Deer @ 70yd, facing toward, head down

Entry (dribble of blood)
null_zpse3bfbb54.jpg

Exit
null_zpsca6f6cf1.jpg

I guess since this thread has now been opened up, I will post some of my carnage.

Shot this little guy from 125yds with a 162amax going 3150. Pretty devastating.

My son's 2013 muley 287yds, one shot 175gr smk, deer walked about twenty feet and went down. Sorry didn't get the carnage "double lunger".

Something really interesting here...note the muley on top has it's splits to the front while the Nevada deer has his splits in the rear tines. I've seen that all over, and for the life of me it baffles me as to why one deer will split rear tines first and another deer will split front tines. Yet, both are three pointers.

Last edited:
Shot a doe with a 285grn Hornady HPBT Match last week, 200yds. It was the strangest thing i'd ever seen in a large animal. It entered right side and exit left, mangled the liver, lungs. The bullet tore a 6" exit hole and evacuated the stomach, intestines, and part of the liver and lungs out of the hole without even rupturing the stomach. I've shot several of prairie dogs that looked similar with a 22-250. I would post a pic but I don't think it's appropriate. Needless to say it didn't go anywhere.
xdeano

300gr SMK

Was able to try out the .338 Edge in large corn field today. Made a 670 yard shot.... hit her a little far back and she ran maybe 200 yards into the woods. I drug her down further onto a 4 wheeler path for the recovery and pics.

WT Deer, buck, head down, entry at base of neck, and this is the exit after removal of the leg to show the exit better.

167 yards, dropped where he stood.

308 - 175 SMK @ 2630.

First time I used the BHA 77gr. SMK based MK 262 MOD 1 cartridge on whitetail (2006?): at under 100yds. with bullet missing the vertebral column. This doe was being trailed by several nice bucks but none would make the minimum for our management program. I was on foot trailing behind the mob hoping she would pick up a shooter. When she stopped to look at all the bucks bird-dogging her, she busted me bird-dogging the bucks. The game was over with her being the only shooter available. As she was standing with just her head turned to look back, I shot her in the throat. With all the major blood vessels on that side blown out, she dropped and bled out quickly. Made for some very fine table fare.

Entrance:

Exit:

Colt 10" 1x7 M4 LWT. upper: the bedding area I was hunting is a massive thicket/switch cane jungle were bipods and high power optics are unsuitable.

Last edited:
7 mag 168 gr Berger vld. Muzzle 3050fps. 110yds. There is a reason for the feed sack.
418574_101066253353046_1139894460_n_zps499d3fc1.jpg

308 win 178 gr Amax. 2610 fps. 336 yds. Typical exit of every deer I've shot, golf ball sized.
IMG_20131119_104540_051_zps8de53502.jpg

Same load as above.
IMG956334-1_zpsf17b1cbe.jpg

Same load as above. 275 yds
IMAG0089.jpg

7 mag 162 gr Amax. Muzzle 2880 fps.
utf-8BSU1BRzA2NTcuanBn.jpg

178 gr Amax Muzzle 2610fps
IMAG0126-2.jpg

Just a few I have pictures of on my phone. Never used the smk's but they seem to do some dirty work on critters.

Something really interesting here...note the muley on top has it's splits to the front while the Nevada deer has his splits in the rear tines. I've seen that all over, and for the life of me it baffles me as to why one deer will split rear tines first and another deer will split front tines. Yet, both are three pointers.

I shot a mulie about 18 years ago that had a broken front shoulder. We had passed him up 3 different days while he was in good health. He is a 3 point, and one side forks the back, and the other side forks the front. Weird.

I have also shot other 3 point deer in the same general area, and half fork the fronts, and half fork the backs.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/New%20House%20Decorating\/043_zps7b366b09.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
How did you find him with such a poor blood trail?

The pictures really don't do it justice. The temperature was in the low 20's and the sun made that path of blood glow red. The buck ran about 20-30 yards and then collapsed. The fact that they can run with that much blood loss is phenomenal.

Match bullets are not designed for hunting applications and should not be used.......... yeah, yeah, yeah!!! Tell that to this doe taken at 250 yards! 300 win mag, 178 Amax 2825fps. and this is the result:
14xovi1.jpg

This is a thru the scope video of a friend taking a doe at 420 yards, .308 Hornady 178 HPBT. A little shaky but taken with the Iphone while lying prone. None the less the bullet did its job!
View My Video

Thanks Reel, was just about to ask about that bullet. I recently switched from Berger 175gr BT LRs to the Hornady Match 178gr running 45.5gr of varget which is admittedly hot, going to have to back down to 45.2. That said i've taken two deer with match bullets (.308 and .223) both neck shots both dropped. Had my sako .260 out today and stumbled upon this guy walking to the stand at 6:00am.
25541dv.jpg

Well last i shot my .260 i missed so i wasn't entirely sure the gun was shooting right, might have been a mis-ranged target. Either way wasn't confident enough to take the shot. So carrying ole faithful out there tomorrow. Question is should i go for neck or behind the shoulder? Given my past two accounts i'm thinking neck.

Anyhow here is my contribution to the thread. My 175gr BT LR kill 320yds a year or two ago.
375462_2205407616465_1944084489_n.jpg

yqe9e3eb.jpg

Remington 700 AAC-SD in Mcree stock
168 Grain SMK At 250 yards through the lungs at 240 yards. Ran about 50 yards in the woods before he died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is one more contribution to the thread. We had a awesome day afield this evening. First my son made a perfect 537 yard shot on a big doe. Next up my brother first time ever behind a long range rig made a 557 yard shot on the doe that was traveling with my sons doe, DRT! Now he says he is hooked! Then at last light I made a 325 yard shot. All three taken with my .308 and 178 Amaxs. 1416 combined yards with three rounds fired. Bullets performed and mine and my sons fell within 25 yards.
2gvseuu.jpg

BTW Blackops2, you won't be disappointed with the HPBT bullets.

Glad to hear it. Shot the .260 today turns out it was just fine. I must've mis-ranged last year.

308 - 175 SMK, 167 yards. Entry at base of neck with his head down. Dropped where he stood. Leg removed to better show the exit.

Last edited:
Ok. I'll play. This is my spike bull @ 310yd with 225gr HPBT @ 2840fps. golf ball size exit.

And the Muley doe @ 185yd. Same combo. Had to hit a little back due to tree branch. Softball size exit.

Both went about 50yds, & fell.

Just got my new rifle built in time for the Oklahoma holiday special doe season. .284 Winchester built on a Remington 700 L/A with a Benchmark barrel, shooting 168 grain SMK with 53 grains of H4350. I've never hunted with SMK bullets but figured I'd give them a go on the recommendation of the Smith that built my rifle. Had this doe come in at 105 yards and stop broadside, quarting a little. After being hit she jumped about a foot in the air then ran about 25 yards, stopped and fell over. From the point she was hit to where she stopped the doe spewed blood everywhere. When I gutted her, we found part of the heart was gone/mush and both lings were mush. There were two exit wounds, each about a inch diameter, so I'm guessing the bullet must of seperated or something. I was pretty impressed with how the SMK performed.

Last edited:
175grn SMK (my own handload). Shot through the white spot on the neck, she was staring right at me about 50 yards away with only the top of her should, neck, and head visible above the brush. It left a small entry and about a quarter sized exit (where the two twigs are is where it exited and they are kind of blocking it). It blew her spinal column right out and she dropped dead in her tracks. Not an inch of movement except some minor nerve twitches.

308 with 175 SMK through the shoulders at 75 yards.

Exit wound:

Leg removed to show bullet path under spine:

My 11 year old daughter's first ever big game animal. 52# javelina w. a .223 69SMK @ 3033fps. Pig went about 30+/- yds. Quartering on @ 45*, took out both lungs and spine . Entry was typical .224" pin hole, exit was half dollar size hole. Lungs were complete Jello.

Entry.

Exit.

I took this 55# pig at about 200yds. with a .250 Ackley shooting 100 SMKs at 3200fps. Pig went two wobbly steps. Exit was kind of weird. 3 separate half dollar sized holes.

Patient dogs waiting for the hind legs to chew on...