• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powders for 7mm Remington Magnum

tomt53

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2011
Central Florida
Going to be handloading for a Remington Sendero in 7mm Remington Magnum. It has a 26" SS fluted barrel with a 9.25 twist. It will be used in two different places, North Florida for Whites from 200-300 yards. Out west for Elk, don't know the yadage out west.

In looking at Quickload, RL-25 seems to be a great powder, but I'm concerned about temperature sensitivity. Started looking at H1000. You don't get the velocities with H1000, but you don't have to worry about temperature swings.

Would like to use the 160 Sierra Gamking for deer.

What are real world experience with H1000 in the 7mm rem mag?

Also recommend a good Elk bullet.

Re: Powders for 7mm Remington Magnum

I run H-1000 in my 7 REM Mag with 175 SMK's. Low extreme spreads and very accurate in my rifle.

I shot 160 GK's in a stock Sendero years ago. Don't remember the load but it was very accurate to 500 yards. It is a good (accurate) bullet.

Everything from 4350 to nearly the slowest of burning powders work well in the 7RM.
Reloader 25 is not a temp sensitive as you might think if you are between the extremes of temps.
Retumbo works well with the heavier bullets.
I have never had much luck with H1000 though others have had great success with it.
Don't discount 4831 as a great powder with 160 grainers.
Check the reloading depot forum for load data.

While it wont be heralded as a great elk bullet your 160 gr. Gamekings will do a fine job for elk, though there are a boat load of premium bullets today to choose from.
Kind of depends on what you expect your shooting situation will be for elk.
I am using the 168 gr. Berger VLD's for elk now out of a 7RM and in the past have used Barnes TSX's, Nosler Partitions and Sierra Gamekings.

Retumbo with a 162 AMAX, Retumbo with a 168 Berger VLD, Retumbo with a 180 Berger. Ohhh, did I mention that Retumbo is the best powder for a 7 Mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Retumbo with a 162 AMAX, Retumbo with a 168 Berger VLD, Retumbo with a 180 Berger. Ohhh, did I mention that Retumbo is the best powder for a 7 Mag? </div></div>

I completely agree!

I've been using 4350 (first IMR and then H4350) with 175gr Sierra GameKings for hunting ever since I first worked up a load for my 7mmRM years ago. I've seen folks talk about the newer powders mentioned above, but 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Most of this hunting was in West Texas where the wind blows, so I've stuck with the heavier bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Retumbo with a 162 AMAX, Retumbo with a 168 Berger VLD, Retumbo with a 180 Berger. Ohhh, did I mention that Retumbo is the best powder for a 7 Mag? </div></div>

Hands down - RETUMBO!!!

Retumbo is all I use for 7mmRM and 7WSM. Great stuff, buy it by the tub.

Here are some Quickload numbers for the 7mm RM
sierra 160 Gameking
COAL 3.290
H2O case capacity 82.00 gns
filling ratio 105.2%
73.2 gn Retumbo
51656psi
Propellant burnt 100%
3019fps

How does this compare to real world numbers.

70.0 gr of Retumbo and 162 AMAX bullets. A match made in heaven:)