• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Practical Tactical Practice - Avoiding Group Shots

Re: Practical Tactical Practice - Avoiding Group Shots

IMG_7913.jpg

Not the greatest shooting...shoulda rezeroed on the new rounds..the cci primers shoot right I shoulda moved it slight left...FN SPR 1A 6.5-20x loopy.

OK, this is the first try (that I'm admitting to) for the Dot Drill. I shot this L-R, Top to Bottom this AM. No wind and @ 100 yards and a 20 count between shots. After looking at the target up close, I should've made a windage adjustment to the right a bit. I know there's some more work to be done but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.... well except for the far left 2nd from the top shot, that was my f'up.

Stock SPS Tactical .308 (HS stock on it), prone off a bipod.
4.5-14 Nikon scope
168gr SMK
43.5 Gr Varget
2.10 Case length
2.310 COAL (from the Ogive, too long for the magazine)
WLR primer
Once fired Federal brass (usual case prep: p pockets uniformed, flash hole deburred, trimmed, chamfered)

5090404785_fa7071f923_z.jpg

This was my first try at this Sniper Hide Pratical Tactical Practice Target.

Winds about 5 to 15 mph gusts and temperature on the 82º F range.

I hit 13 of 15 dots, as I missed a wind gust coming from 9 o´clock. I even tried to correct but I underastimated the wind velocity.

By the way, the target was at 100 meters away (about 110 yards) what turns about 10% more dificult... (well, it serves as a good excuse to me).

But I liked it as it forces to keep in focus of the fundamentals of shooting at every and single shot.

P1000067.jpg

The rifle was a custom Remington with AICS, Broughton barrel and Jewell trigger. Fired from prone with Harris Bipod equiped with Pod Paws (a shame it is no longer in production... I want another Pod Paws!) and sand bag at rear.

Not to hijack the thread so u can respond per pm if u like
but would the Practical Tactical target be suitable for load development (since we want to stay away from group shooting)???
Thanks,
Sean

Group shooting is what you want to do for load development, don't shoot groups to work on your individual skill.

Got my atlas v8 today and had to go try it real quick. I only shot ten rounds though

IMAG0061.jpg

Looks good. All of them on the same horizontal plane now gotta work on the vertical plane and that's a hellova dot drill.

SWEET wish I woulda' found this thread a few months back.
Been soooo overly concered about my "groups" at 100 yards.
Which is funny cause I hit our 600yd targets better then I hit my 100yds...

Any suggestions as to the better way to practice
Standing, Prone, kneeling, sitting or wait let me guess

YES all the above.

Man I love this site.

I have always used a system similar to this. However, I do shoot groups - especially to test reloaded ammo, and for practice.

But I also set up a piece of poster board with a dozen pasters similar to the target here. Then I shoot one shot at each paster. I enjoy it and it is a stress reducer. Nothing is more frustrating than shooting a nice group and then having a flyer ruin it. This is good practice and enjoyable. But shooting groups is also a good tool. What's important is to keep shooting.

There are a lot of very good shots on snipershide. Keep up the good work guys.

heres my first shot at it:

Remington LTR .308
AICS stock
USO ST-10 10X MOA/MOA scope
168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match

Perfect Day, 65ish degrees no percievable wind.

First Target
PT-12-18-1.jpg

second target:
PT-12-18-2.jpg

the second target bottom row middle has 2 shots at it, the one that is low came from a butterfly that landed there and I felt the urge to politely ask him to move!

All in all a tough drill, I'll keep shooting it. My biggest problems are:

1) the crosshairs cover up my dots! I guess I could use more power, or finer hairs.

2) I only have .5 MOA adjustments, so when I'm this close, I'm better off not dialing anything in... or else I'll miss equally on the other side.

I was shooting with a crappy bipod, that was hard to load, I the feet didn't want to grab the sandy soil, and the legs had a bad habit of flexing/springing forward under load. When I was done it looked like I had a skidmarks in the ground in front of me from the constant back and forth.

I'm not going to change my scope out, so I better get used to holding off by just a touch if I'm to get any better at this!

what do you ya'll think?

OK, I'll bite a little. Its a little hard to comment without knowing more about how accurate at 100 yards you are finding yourself and that gun and load to be, but:

1. Replacing the bipod with one you can consistently load is a good starting place and won't hurt. At a minimum you'll rule out something you seem to be worrying about.

2. With your 10x scope and the dots being covered up, I'd suggest using a six oclock hold and zeroing the scope poi first with that as a point of aim.

3. When I've shot targets with a pattern distribution like that its usually me and not confirming a perfect natural point of aim for each and every dot, and not executing the firing sequence perfectly, particularly as to trigger manipulation. I see more horizontal dispersion than vertical and thats partly why I say that. Sometimes its that combined with a parallax issue with inconsistent head position. Keep your head on the stock all the way through the drill even with the mag reload.

Just my thoughts and I'm just a Joe, not a pro.

Good luck, brother!

Love these targets! Anything to make a day at the range a little more difficult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I'll bite a little. Its a little hard to comment without knowing more about how accurate at 100 yards you are finding yourself and that gun and load to be, but:

1. Replacing the bipod with one you can consistently load is a good starting place and won't hurt. At a minimum you'll rule out something you seem to be worrying about.

2. With your 10x scope and the dots being covered up, I'd suggest using a six oclock hold and zeroing the scope poi first with that as a point of aim.

3. When I've shot targets with a pattern distribution like that its usually me and not confirming a perfect natural point of aim for each and every dot, and not executing the firing sequence perfectly, particularly as to trigger manipulation. I see more horizontal dispersion than vertical and thats partly why I say that. Sometimes its that combined with a parallax issue with inconsistent head position. Keep your head on the stock all the way through the drill even with the mag reload.

Just my thoughts and I'm just a Joe, not a pro.

Good luck, brother!

</div></div>

This is usually a cloverleaf into a penny-nickel sized group setup. I tried dialing back and forth for windage a few times, but one click would put me on the other side of the dot, then one click back would do the same. I wasn't finding my natural point of aim for each shot, just manipulating my rear bag. I tried to shoot them all from the same prone position. I'll try resetting for each shot next time. I'll also try the 6:00 hold.

cheers!

Well for my second trip out with my rifle, I tried the dot target out. zTemp was 40* with no wind. I was shooting 168gr Federal GMM. Here's the result...
SDC10900.jpg

I know I suck, but I like the drill and will defintely do it a lot more.

Definitely a learning experience I used my .22 at 50 yards standing supported by a tree. Pulled a few shots.

IMG_20110111_142834.jpg

I have modified the practical tactical target just a bit. I did this because I was having problems with my rectical blending with the solid black dots. What do ya guys think? first post whoohoo!
smile.gif

practicaltactical2.jpg

Drills like this are what make better shooters of us all.
Like most, I love punching holes in paper, as it's always a developmental process for me.
Practicing without purpose is a waste of time, IMHO.
For me, it'll be a few weeks before I can take this one on, but it will be a religious experience when that day comes!
And, i get to play with my new toy!
Just strapped a new scope on my 700SPS!
LL and all, thank you so much for helping us all become better shooters!

First try... Nothing to impressive. More upsetting than anything haha.
Anyone have any ideas why some of the shots were WAY off? It didn't feel like a bad shot..
DSC_0009.jpg

Details:
Savage 12FLV .223
Vortex Viper PST 6-24
Hornady 68gr. HPBT Match with 24gr H335

Rectal bleeding with the black dots?!
cry.gif

Reticle blending with the black dots.
laugh.gif

Had to go there didn't I...

I starve beavers.

Lan Astaslem

The Dot drills at 200 yards will tell you a couple of things. First one is if you can shoot, the second one is if your rifle is capable of shooting that well. One of mine is not.

Throw in a couple of dummy rounds and you get a good picture of what you can do.

so i can print these out in two different sizes...on is .5 inches and the other is about 13/32 of an inch...im assuming the correct size is .5 but just wanted to clarify

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hesco2/3Golf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so i can print these out in two different sizes...on is .5 inches and the other is about 13/32 of an inch...im assuming the correct size is .5 but just wanted to clarify </div></div>

Either is "correct." Frank has posted up two versions and either is sufficient challenge.

The poster above is mistaken about 200 yards. These dot drills are run at 100 yards and of sufficient difficulty that not too many seem to post up a cleaned target. There's a reason for that.

Also, the dot drills are actually used at Rifles Only in trainings and competition at 100 yards under increasing time pressure, row by row, normally started from a standing position.

For best resolution and contrast with black sights and reticles, I prefer a yellow background; so my center dots would be yellow. I think that orange and yellow will 'burn through' haze,. etc., better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hesco2/3Golf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so i can print these out in two different sizes...on is .5 inches and the other is about 13/32 of an inch...im assuming the correct size is .5 but just wanted to clarify </div></div>

Either is "correct." Frank has posted up two versions and either is sufficient challenge.

The poster above is mistaken about 200 yards. These dot drills are run at 100 yards and of sufficient difficulty that not too many seem to post up a cleaned target. There's a reason for that.

Also, the dot drills are actually used at Rifles Only in trainings and competition at 100 yards under increasing time pressure, row by row, normally started from a standing position. </div></div>

Why would you assume I am mistaken. I modified my dots and shoot them at 200 yards. A 1" dot at 200 is still half a min.

I thought I was wrong once but found out I was mistaken.

Sorry about that Trap. I assumed you were referring to the dot drills referred to in this thread. A .5 moa 200 yard dot drill is a great idea.

Finally got out and shot my REM 700 SPS Tactical at 100 yards. No bipod and just a Caldwell beanbag rest up front. The gun is stock with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X scope.

Used Fed Gold Medal Match 168gr Sierra BTHP.

I've never shot a precision rifle before and have a total of 55 rounds through this rifle.

First target are my warm up shots from a cold clean barrel. Three shots total.
001sml.jpg

This is my target using 3/4 in dots from a Shoot-N-See target. A total of twelve shots.
002sml.jpg

LL,

New to precision shooting. Recently ripped the dot drill with my long rifle. A humbling and outstanding training evolution. I'll give myself a B- on net precision, but an A+ on lessons learned from this context-based drill.

This drill illuminates a truism often echoed by trad hunters: "It's not about the bow". This Indian learned more about his skills during this one Event than the previous months invested trying to "clover-leaf" targets with that perfectly tuned arrow and bow.

Personally, these type of drills force me to SHOOT vice concentrate on achieving that ultra-accurate 3-round group cutting paper.

In fact after I dial in my 300WM loads, doubt I'll ever strive for a bench-based position to fire a 3-round group at the range.

Appreciate sharing this excellent drill with the community.

Mahalo

I did some further modification of the original 0.5" DOT target to increase dot size to 0.75" and 1" and to have hollow centers on other targets to make them a bit easier to see, so there are now 4 more new free targets available, with more reticle-based MIL and MOA free printable training targets being done in a week or so. I'll have them up on the Storm Tactical website ASAP. I did these to help shooters who need something larger than 0.5" to shoot. For example, shooters who want to shoot the drills at further distance. These targets are also handy for smallbore/rimfire, and even handgun drills.

Mark

DSCN4067web.jpg

We shoot 1/2MOA dots at every training. We shoot them at 100yds(1/2"), 200yds(1"), and 300yds(1 1/2"). "Aim small, Hit small". We also do running drills on 1MOA dots or hostage targets. Getting the heart rate up and faster breathing really adds to the challenge.

I've made some more targets if anyone is interested. Any feed back is welcome, hope these work out for everyone.(HTML is disabled so here is the long link)

https://public.me.com/ryanjpalmer

I'm adding this to my weekly range trip from here on out.

I didn't know about this thread as I post a dot drill target in the photo section. I'll try to find it.

vwrd5y.jpg

Went to the range today and worked on the basics. The key was to relax. Fired this prone, bipod, rear bag at 112 yards. Why 112? I was too lazy to move the pallets to 100. The gun is a custom build Remington 700 .308 Winchester, Rock Creek 5R barrel, AICS stock, Schmidt & Bender PM II 4-16x50 P4F reticle. Ammo is 155 Scenar, Federal brass, CCI BR2 primers, and Varget powder. The wood where it splintered around the impact point did blow out the paper in a few spots but the holes are clearly there. Can't wait to post one with 15/15 hits. Thanks to Storm Tacticl and Sniper's Hide for the targets and everyone's advice which is clearly making a difference.

GREAT JOB STORM TACTICAL!!! Don't know if anyone else has looked at the download targets at Storm Tactical yet but the new March2011_MOA target file is GREAT! It is obvious that a great deal of time and effort went into these and they are free. That reflects a great deal of character and dedication to all of us who shoot. THANK YOU!

Always going above and beyond, I appreciate it!

-Dylan

Man your targets blow mine out the water! Very nice, I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks.

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Let me know where to go and get paid the 'big bucks.' :)

I don't get paid for this, its just a labor of love.

Here is one (web low-resolution) I did for CKA, each ring is one MOA larger. I call it the "MOA Challenge Target"

Working on MIL ones this weekend and getting caught up on some orders for teams. Mark

2011_MOA_CHALLENGE_NTRP.jpg

Mark, Big request-

How about in landscape layout 5 diamonds, 1/2" center, maybe 1/8" or 3/16" lines
then centered a 1 or 1 1/4 center diamond, thicker lines

then at the 7 and 4 o'clock, 3/4" diamonds(2 total)

maybe a zero diamond on the bottom with the data lines.

Intent is to check zero, have 5 diamonds at 100, 2 at 200 and 1 for the three on a 8 1/2x11 sheet?

Mark

Mark, Somthing like this?

Top row 0.5" diamond plus 0.125" line = .75" diamond OD
Center 1.5" diamond plus 0.125" line = 1.75" diamond OD
Bottom 0.75" diamind plus 0.125" line = 1" diamond OD

These are drawn to-scale in adobe illustrator, so I can dimension the main shapes and stroke lines to anything.

I can make the grid show like this, or make the inner diamond just white without grid lines inside (bottom pic).

2011_7_diamondsgrid.jpg

2011_7_diamonds.jpg